> Make your mark on British money, Competition to find new designs coins
froggle-rock
post Aug 18 2005, 01:36 PM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Linky

So, Basicaly, the Royal Mint is having a competition to freshen up the reverses of 1p, 2p, 5p 20p and 50p coins. You could win a prize of up to 30,000.

OMG how cool would it be actualy win this competition and have every single British (and non Brit) with a piece of your art in thier pocket?

The competition ends in mid November. I recon we shaould all have a try biggrin.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Aug 18 2005, 02:18 PM
Post #2

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

I could draw two stickmen fighting!

Or a crudely drawn cock!

Heh, that prise money is soooo mine.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 18 2005, 06:52 PM
Post #3

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Shame, in a way. I like the current designs. ...however, I also like the idea of 30 grand. Easy come, easy go.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Aug 18 2005, 07:01 PM
Post #4

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

Do you have to be British to enter? Or would they let a Yank win the competition?

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Aug 18 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #5

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

QUOTE (pgrmdave @ Aug 18 2005, 08:01 PM)
Do you have to be British to enter?  Or would they let a Yank win the competition?

I looked for exactly that, actually - I've an American artist friend who might be interested - and didn't see anything that said so. I think it's a free-for-all.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Aug 18 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #6

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

I've found that there's only one rule on entering... No French.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
spuglet
post Aug 20 2005, 02:24 AM
Post #7

I don't need no stinkin' title

Group: New Members
Member No.: 38

I like the old styles- aren't they a symbol from each privince of Britain?
I've seen the new ones with, i think, the fourth bridge on them, and there's no latin on the side! Bah.

I think we'd be better off getting rid of the Queen on the front of the coins BUT I like the comemerative coins they have, and maybe a few new designs with new symbols from each province...

They could replace the Lions with a pint of lager!

--------------------
I'll sleep when i'm alive and live when i'm dead.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 20 2005, 12:21 PM
Post #8

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Aug 18 2005, 02:18 PM)
Or a crudely drawn cock!

Damn...that's my entry down the toilet!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 20 2005, 01:52 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (spuglet @ Aug 20 2005, 02:24 AM)
I've seen the new ones with, i think, the fourth bridge on them, and there's no latin on the side! Bah.

I think we'd be better off getting rid of the Queen on the front of the coins BUT I like the comemerative coins they have, and maybe a few new designs with new symbols from each province...

I think you're thinking of pound coins. The competition is for everything below. But yeah, the pound coins have a variety, one from each province, as well as the royal crest, I believe. I assume the pound coins as well as the two pound coins are staying as they are.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Aug 20 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #10

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Well they change the picture on the pound coin quite regulaly any how and the 50p's so not quite sure why there doing that one.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 20 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #11

Well, no, they don't. There's still a standard design, with the woman and the lion on, it's just that they do lots of commemorative ones as well. I'd assume it's the design with the woman and lion that's changing, and all the other ones, like the equal rights, the VE day, and the hands and suchlike would just stay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Aug 20 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #12

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

So... would the MataZone URL around the edges be too blatant?

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 20 2005, 02:24 PM
Post #13

omno-ahhhhhhh!

<3 u, Hobbes!

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Aug 20 2005, 03:57 PM
Post #14

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Aug 20 2005, 03:24 PM)
<3 u, Hobbes!

everyone does, it's okay

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 20 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #15

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I think it would be nice to write a small fourliner rhyme on the back.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 27 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #16

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Aug 20 2005, 03:16 PM)
Well, no, they don't. There's still a standard design, with the woman and the lion on, it's just that they do lots of commemorative ones as well. I'd assume it's the design with the woman and lion that's changing, and all the other ones, like the equal rights, the VE day, and the hands and suchlike would just stay.

That made me laugh so much biggrin.gif I have never heard anyone describe the queen in such blatent terms biggrin.gif

I think they should still have her on there. I am a little of a traditionalist with these things (i.e keeping our currency, keeping the queen and letting her own all the swans etc) but I think the other side should change (as it does already) but with things like political movements/ scientific discovery and a date. ie a picture of a foxhunt with a cross through it, or of the double helical structure of DNA, or of womans liberation, or of simple molecules. Not only they would be commemorative of the date each thing was discovered/ changed, they would also be educational...

NB- Notice we have to pay to enter?

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 27 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #17

My direction

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 18 2005, 07:08 PM)
I looked for exactly that, actually - I've an American artist friend who might be interested - and didn't see anything that said so. I think it's a free-for-all.

Isn't it a little ironic that in 20 years time our proud British heratige may have been designed by a foreinger?

QUOTE (Daria @ Aug 27 2005, 06:41 PM)
That made me laugh so much biggrin.gif I have never heard anyone describe the queen in such blatent terms biggrin.gif

Uhhh... the flipside of a 50p piece has Libertia or something on it... it actually has a woman with a lion, who is in no way the queen.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 27 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #18

Brittania, I believe. And yes, I meant on the reverse of the coin still.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Aug 30 2005, 08:30 AM
Post #19

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 27 2005, 09:13 PM)
Isn't it a little ironic that in 20 years time our proud British heratige may have been designed by a foreinger?

We'd be in good company - one of the most potent and recognisable symbols of American heritage, the Statue of Liberty, was made by the French.

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Aug 20 2005, 02:52 PM)
QUOTE (spuglet @ Aug 20 2005, 02:24 AM)

I think you're thinking of pound coins. The competition is for everything below. But yeah, the pound coins have a variety, one from each province, as well as the royal crest, I believe. I assume the pound coins as well as the two pound coins are staying as they are.

Britain has provinces now? Gosh.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 30 2005, 11:24 AM
Post #20

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 27 2005, 08:13 PM)
Uhhh... the flipside of a 50p piece has Libertia or something on it... it actually has a woman with a lion, who is in no way the queen.[/color]

You do realise that 'woman with a lion' is Britannia don't you? She was a Celtic goddess who became the symbol of our nation... I'm really quite shocked people don't know this!

"BRITANNIA : Romano-Celtic British, Tutelary Goddess. The genia loci of Britain who first appears on the coinage of Antoninius Pius in the 2nd century AD. She became the symbol of the British Empire after being partly syncretized with the war goddess Minerva."

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Aug 30 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #21

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Member No.: 1,348

Have to admit its tempting to have a go at this...would it be possible to fit mittens in somewhere do you think?

I think I shall have a look into it, something else on my list of things to do, perhaps I'll even get it submitted somewhere near the deadline if Im organised and just a little lucky. Although I am rather fond of the Brittania image I suppose things should change every once in a while.
or of the double helical structure of DNA, or of womans liberation,
I may have missed your point but I'm fairly sure these have already been done on the two pound coin and fifty pence.

Still Im sure we can fit a crafty plug for matazone in there somewhere just leave it to me with a touch of Caths impressive influence its a sure thing wink.gif

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...

+Quote Post
Sky
post Aug 30 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #22

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,375

Looks like someone's trying to work up a bit of opposition against the single currency...

We should have optical illusions or holograms or something. British money should Transcend Time And Space!

A friend who's in the navy's going to re-submit Brittania, bless his patriotic cotton socks...

--------------------
my adopter's better than yours!

With a prompter in every cellar window wispering comebacks, shy people would have the last laugh.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 31 2005, 09:12 AM
Post #23

My direction

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 30 2005, 11:24 AM)
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 27 2005, 08:13 PM)
Uhhh... the flipside of a 50p piece has Libertia or something on it... it actually has a woman with a lion, who is in no way the queen.[/color]

You do realise that 'woman with a lion' is Britannia don't you? She was a Celtic goddess who became the symbol of our nation... I'm really quite shocked people don't know this!

"BRITANNIA : Romano-Celtic British, Tutelary Goddess. The genia loci of Britain who first appears on the coinage of Antoninius Pius in the 2nd century AD. She became the symbol of the British Empire after being partly syncretized with the war goddess Minerva."

Yeah, I've already been chastised for that dry.gif Take any twenty 17-year-olds out of my school and I think you'll find not one of them knows as much about british history and heritage as me, so I'm not feeling too bad about it tongue.gif

Edit - Ok, I really should have known that. I'm informed that "even foreign friends" know about Brittania, so I have no excuse. I was just too lazy to look it up, it's not like I had no idea at all!

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 30 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #24

omno-ahhhhhhh!

BUMP

Just wondering if anyone turnt in any designs?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 31 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #25

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Not me, I've been too busy with other things.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 03:03 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!