Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
> Fresh Meat?!
Barbarella
post Aug 23 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,968

Hello! I'm new here, obviously. Just introducing myself... My name's Jen and I'm from NYC. I think Mata's absolutely brilliant! I'm glad I finally noticed there was a forum, I was beginning to think I was the only one who was into The Other Side animations(blasphemy, I know)!

Appologies in advance-- I'm not the most eloquent person, but I do type decently and I don't abbreviate often or use too many acronyms! I'm just horribly dyslexic and get confused quite easily!

My hobbies/interests include: reading, sketching, dark humour, black and white nude photography, cute sushi lunches, chocolate, Sneaker Pimps, fluffy animals, sarcasm, vodka tonics, Yasmin LeBon, anything remeniscent of 80's pop culture, Brit pop/electro, and world domination. Just for fun, I've included a photo of me eating Nick Rhodes. Well, I'm not really eating him, and it's just a necklace with his photo in, but I like pretending.

Looking forward to having quite a bit of fun here, and maybe(hopefully) making some new friends!

Cheers!
Jen

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Mata
post Aug 23 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I did some work for a TV station in the UK a few years ago. In our first meeting they said 'Our station is aimed at a young urban audience. You know... Black kids'. Things didn't really go much upwards from there!

The merchandise thing: basically there's a company in the UK making the T-shirts for me and distributing them to UK shops. I may start up my online shop again after my PhD (in fact I probably will) but at the moment I just don't have the time to run it. The company, Blue Banana, have tried to get my stuff to the US but there's a whole big thing with China going on that's making the world market really jumpy. It might still happen yet, but I'd be surprised if it happened before Christmas at the very, very earliest.

Barbarella: I agree, what's not to like? It probably explains a lot about me that it was a formative influence on my fragile young mind!

Sneaker Pimps: As far as I know there will be new stuff coming out at some point soon-ish, but I don't know dates. Next time he's around I'll ask him for you. He's based in Hollywood, so they might be based over there some of the time at the moment.

School-girl excitement: biggrin.gif

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Barbarella
post Aug 23 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #3

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,968

"I did some work for a TV station in the UK a few years ago. In our first meeting they said 'Our station is aimed at a young urban audience. You know... Black kids'. Things didn't really go much upwards from there!"

Over here, it's used to describe anyone/anything/any community who/that's into the whole hip hop/rap culture, which happens to be largely black AND hispanic. This occured to my still-young mind only when some kids that appeared to be of hispanic descent, dressed in full on hip hop gear, were standing outside of an Urban Outfitters store while I was smoking a cigarette. They were talking about how horrible the store was and that it had NOTHING "urban" in it at all. This confused me. The store is VERY urban/trendy/etc to me... and then I realised that Urban must've become synonymous with ghetto/rap/hip-hop somehow. LATER I realised that NYC is "generous" in their use/abuse of "urban" being synonymous with all those things.

Moving away from that topic, lest it get too serious, or worse yet, I put my foot in my mouth since I'm not the best at expressing myself and my vocabulary is horrendous.

Thanks for letting me know about the pimps thing. All I needed to hear is that they're doing something soon, I appreciate the info! Do let me know if you happen to find out anything else, but no big deal, of course biggrin.gif

Have a good afternoon, Mata!

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Barbarella   Fresh Meat?!   Aug 23 2005, 10:50 AM
- - Mata   'Ello! Good choice of username there, I lo...   Aug 23 2005, 11:28 AM
|- - Barbarella   @ mata: Harlem?! That's so odd to me, Har...   Aug 23 2005, 12:08 PM
- - Sir_Psycho_Sexy   Fresh meat? I'll have mine rare! Edit: Ye...   Aug 23 2005, 12:02 PM
- - Mata   I did some work for a TV station in the UK a few y...   Aug 23 2005, 12:20 PM
|- - Barbarella   "I did some work for a TV station in the UK a...   Aug 23 2005, 12:35 PM
- - CheeseMoose   Good morning and congratulations on being member n...   Aug 23 2005, 02:58 PM
|- - Barbarella   QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Aug 23 2005, 10:58 AM)Go...   Aug 23 2005, 05:07 PM
- - SPEAKERfortheLOST   YEARG! *pulls out duct tape and tapes Barbare...   Aug 23 2005, 08:12 PM
- - Samorine   Hello, welcome to the forums. =) We're all re...   Aug 23 2005, 10:40 PM
|- - Mata   QUOTE (Samorine @ Aug 23 2005, 10:40 PM)We...   Aug 24 2005, 12:03 PM
|- - Barbarella   QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 24 2005, 08:03 AM)QUOTE (Sa...   Aug 24 2005, 01:15 PM
- - funked)out_frog   *waves* Hey there Barbarella, I was looking aroun...   Aug 24 2005, 01:57 PM
- - Quoth(The Raven)   Matazone: Come for the Mittens, stay for the Chaos...   Aug 25 2005, 03:06 AM
- - Astarael   Welcome and have fun! *holds out olive oil to ...   Sep 1 2005, 01:06 AM
- - Quoth(The Raven)   One of my favorite jokes: New Yorker: What do you...   Sep 1 2005, 05:35 AM
- - Astarael   Quoth, your sense of humor is one notch above this...   Sep 4 2005, 09:22 PM
|- - Quoth(The Raven)   QUOTE (Astarael @ Sep 4 2005, 04:22 PM)Quoth,...   Sep 5 2005, 05:35 AM
- - Astarael   A pun is the very lowest form of humor, after all....   Sep 5 2005, 09:25 PM
|- - Quoth(The Raven)   QUOTE (Astarael @ Sep 5 2005, 04:25 PM)Althou...   Sep 11 2005, 02:23 AM
- - Quoth(The Raven)   ANY form of humor is only as good as the one telli...   Sep 5 2005, 09:41 PM
- - eleraama   Oh, come on, don't pretend like you've nev...   Sep 5 2005, 11:09 PM
- - voices_in_my_head   *hands Barbarella a kitten* Welcome!   Sep 5 2005, 11:25 PM
- - silvermoon   But Wikipedia is different! I can start out on...   Sep 6 2005, 01:50 AM
- - Astarael   I actually clicked on a random link once and wound...   Sep 10 2005, 09:29 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 08:26 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!