IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Synth program?, I'm looking for a nice one.
arachnidoc17
post Aug 27 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Entomophobic

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,231

I've been looking for a virtual Synth program for a while now. I've seen one somewhere, and I think they're really nifty. Plus, I've got a knack for making music, I just can't play any instruments for beans.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 27 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #2

My direction

Member No.: 495

Are you after just a program to arrange music for you so you don't have to play it and you can hear what your compositions sound like, or something complicated and technical? The former, I can help, the latter, I'll shut up tongue.gif

If the former is what you're looking for, we use a couple of good ones at school. If you're looking for a musicians' program, you could do worse than Sibelius. 'Tis rather expensive, but it's really easy to use, you just stick notes directly onto the score, and the sounds of the instruments are fantastic. It's pretty versatile too, you can turn it to most genres.

If you're more on the music tech "Uhhh, it sounds nice, but I couldn't read the score" persuasion, there's also a program called cubase which we use. It's more techy and stuff, but I don't really get on with it so I'm probably not the person to ask tongue.gif

Seriously though, there are hundreds and hundreds of arrangement programs out there, Just do a search or something smile.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Aug 27 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #3

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

Not sure if it's entirely what you're looking for, but if it's just any way of making music on a computer you're after, you could try something like the Modplug Tracker or similar. Pretty easy to use. Nothing incredibly fancy though. But fairly cheap (read: free).

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Aug 27 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #4

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

I'm trying Modplug right now. If I get enough money I might get Sibelius, as it looked almost exactly like the program I used before.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Aug 29 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #5

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Spend 300 on Propellorheads Reason if you want a nifty softsynth/virtual rack. It runs on Mac OS as well as Windows which is handy. It gives you a whole bunch of virtual synths, samplers, effects units, a drum machine and mixers which you can connect as you wish with rather nice CV/Gate inputs and outputs for a bit more flexibility.

Alternatively get a decent operating system (*cough*BSD*cough*orlinuxbutit'sforbitches*cough*) and install Spiral Synth Modular. It's nifty though on a much lower level than most softsynths (hence the 'Modular' in the name). That one's free but only really for those who want to play around with synth guts (seperate modules for everything that you plug together as you wish, great for flexible routing, awful if you don't know your LFO from your 12 db per octave VCF).

As for ModPlug, it's a tracker, not a softsynth, though it's still handy. I personally use MilkyTracker (Mac OS) or SoundTracker (BSD/Linux).

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 29 2005, 04:07 PM
Post #6

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

As moop mentioned while he was pimping alternative operating systems. Reason is a cracking piece of kit and is the weapon of choice for a fair few music producers, Sibelius too is one of the top of the line applications for what you want to do, if you're shopping around you might want to look at Cubase. But like I said, these are all professional level applications and it might be something of a waste in a bedroom studio, esspecially if it's just a hobby! There are lower level pieces of software out there, maybe some shareware or freeware, look around, try something by Sonic Foundry, or have a dabble with Fruity Loops. Basically, have a look around, if you want to or have the money to spend on something like Reason, then by all means, do, but if you want to play around, try something on a smaller scale first, it's cheaper or better still, free!!

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 29 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #7

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Personally I use Fruity Loops to 'compose' and Cool Edit Pro to make the noises.

I put 'compose' in inverted commas because I'm a bit of a rubbish musician at the moment and wouldn't want to glorify my efforts!

Using Fruity Loops you can generally make something that sounds quite decent next to chart music in approximately thirty seconds.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 09:12 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!