Reply to this topicStart new topic
> iBook wireless help, I'm Mac stupid
LoLo
post Aug 28 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I got myself a new iBook for school and I'm macintosh stupid and can't get it to connect to the internet via it's wireless connection. My mom and I have both tried it, and haven't been able to get it to connect based on what we read in the users manual.

It says that it is connected to the internet, yet when I get to a browser it tells me that I'm not connected to the internet. My mom checked the ip addresses and found that the ip address it said it was connected to was not the same as our actual ip address.

You probably need more information to help me, if you're a person who might be able to, but frankly I'm not sure what to say.

Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Aug 29 2005, 11:51 AM
Post #2

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (LoLo @ Aug 28 2005, 03:39 PM)
I got myself a new iBook for school and I'm macintosh stupid and can't get it to connect to the internet via it's wireless connection.  My mom and I have both tried it, and haven't been able to get it to connect based on what we read in the users manual.

It says that it is connected to the internet, yet when I get to a browser it tells me that I'm not connected to the internet.  My mom checked the ip addresses and found that the ip address it said it was connected to was not the same as our actual ip address.

You probably need more information to help me, if you're a person who might be able to, but frankly I'm not sure what to say. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Weird. My Mac generally 'just works' internet-wise. Make sure it's set to allocate an IP address automagically (via the wonders of DHCP) and it should just get the right information from your router.

All the setup stuff should be in the 'Internet Connect' app (Go into finder, select 'Applications' in the sidebar and I think it's in 'Utilities').

If you're using WEP or WPA or some other sort of encryption then make sure you have the keycode entered correctly or it'll just receive junk and not be able to get itself an IP address through DHCP.

I'd have a look at how my PowerBook is set up but I'm away right now - I'll try and be a bit more helpful tomorrow when I've had chance to have a look if you like.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 29 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Kiefer > Jason

Thank you very much, I'll give it a go tonight when I get home from school and see if I can get it to work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 30 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

I'll be getting my iBook tomorrow, never really used a mac before, I just wanted to point it out, I'm quite excited about it, I did have a similar problem with my PC having trouble getting an IP address off the wireless router, I'm not sure if that was a conflict with something, a bad signal or interferance. It was helluva frustrating and I've just been using a long cable ever since! tongue.gif

Will post more when I've had a poke about on my ibook tomorrow biggrin.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 31 2005, 08:13 AM
Post #5

Well...I just had to select the right wireless network for it to choose, then put in the WEP password and it...well worked, so now, I'm sitting in the living room, in my pyjamas typing at you, it's much fun! biggrin.gif

There are a lot of updates for it...I mean...LOTS! blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Aug 31 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Kiefer > Jason

I never did get it to work at home. My mom and I both tried and the best she could come up with was that it was conflicting because my Mac was trying to get to the router using 48 bit encryption and the router used 64 bit. /me shrugs.

I guess it really doesn't matter too much anyway considering that I don't really use it at home, well yet anyway, and if I do need to use it I have a very long ethernet cable I can just run into my living room and use on my couch.

As for school, it connects straight away and I am in fact sitting here in the library killing time before my first class and managed to get online here.

This is bad, day two of classes and I'm already done with my homework and all the online research I needed to do, and my first class hasn't even started yet. Maybe I will be around much more afterall, once I can figure out how to access my messengers I installed. Really I am mac stupid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Aug 31 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #7

Open up finder and then go to the applications folder. Open them there and they'll show up in the dock, ctrl-click the icon there and there should be an option to keep it in the dock even when it's not running, you can also use that to set it to run when you start up your mac! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Sep 1 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #8

Kiefer > Jason

Thanks. Moop suggested the same thing only in a different place, and between the help of both of you, I managed to get them docked.

Now to be annooying. I need to find a version of IRC that will work on the mac, any ideas? lol

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Sep 1 2005, 08:58 AM
Post #9

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

xChat Aqua is the way forwards, clearly.

At least I think so, and I got Cand addicted to the Windows version.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 11:54 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!