Reply to this topicStart new topic
> College Is Expensive, help a girl pay her tuition bills
MistressAlti
post Sep 1 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #1

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Usually I don't just hand out money to peoples on the internet who beg with a PayPal button, but I'm making an exception today because I know this girl.

She's one of the hardest-working people I know, and smart. She was home-schooled and took the GED test while the rest of us were sleeping through middle school. She worked to save up the money to go to university and managed to get a number of small scholarships to offset the costs.

But the university has just royally screwed her over:

"Guess who has no tuition waivers for fall due to the Bursarís Office and the Scholarsí Office getting their wires crossed?

Yeah, thatís right. This chick.

So I have no student aid for this semester. Meaning I owe the university $3153.57. This bill is due on Sept. 15. I canít afford to pay it, unless one of three things happens:
1) I get a student loan
2) Divine intervention
3) The kindness of strangers prevails

Student loans are hellacious as far as interest goes. And I donít yet know if theyíll even give me one.

Please help me. I need to be able to pay the bursar so that I can keep going to school and get my degree in chemical engineering/biotech. Any amount will help, no matter how smallÖat this point, every cent counts. (Iím going out later to collect pennies from the fountains around campus.)

I am now an internet beggar. But if this is what it takes to get through college, Iím willing to abandon all sense of shame."

If anyone is willing to help, please do. I can personally vouch for her, the money is going to pay an impending bursar bill. Her family doesn't have any money and her mother has been ill with cancer for the past year. A few dollars here or there would help.

The link to donate is here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/rainmaiden/344002.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Sep 2 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #2

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Sep 1 2005, 10:22 AM)
Student loans are hellacious as far as interest goes. And I donít yet know if theyíll even give me one.

Student loans don't actually have a hellacious amount of interest, you'll be paying a lot more on a credit card in interest than you ever will in financial aid. Interest usually runs from 2 to 4 percent, and depending on the type of loan you get (subsidized or unsubsidized) the interest may not even start until after you graduate. They also do their best to make pay off easy, and if more than one loan is taken out you can consolodate them and get an even lower amount of interest + smaller monthly payments.

Perhaps you should pass this information on to your friend if it comes down to crunch time and she can't get all her money.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Sep 3 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #3

Has too much time on their hands

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,001

My degree left me owing in excess of £6,000.
And that was almost 5 years ago now.

As LoLo says, you have to get a loan and worry about it later, after all if the degree means you get a good job you can then pay it off comfortably.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Sep 4 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

It might be too late in the year for her to get a student loan. I would suggest, if nothing else works out, she ask the university about a leave of absence. Most universities allow students to take a one term (or in some cases one year) leave of absence as long as they are in good academic standing. She could then get all the financial stuff with the uni sorted out during fall term and then go back to school in winter or spring term.

I know that's not an ideal solution, but it might be her best bet, considering the short notice. Like Lo said...interest rates on student loans are really quite reasonable, and you don't have to start paying them back until 6-9 months after you graduate. And considering the average student loan debt of an American uni student upon graduation is around $25,000...I think she'll be okay to pay off a $3100 loan when she graduates. She should really go discuss loan options with the financial aid office in person, if possible. If there are financial hardships after she graduates (such as hospital payments for her mother, or her not finding a job), she can get the payments deferred for up to a year without any ill effects on her credit score. At least, that's how Stafford loans work. I'm unsure about ones through private banks and such.

Incidentally...even if I could donate (which I can't...I'm one of those who will have a debt over $20,000 when I graduate)...the entry is protected so I can't even view it.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 4 2005, 06:24 PM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I would donate a bit because I know how everything helps (I know a lot about being a poor student) but as Cand says, the entry is protected.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Sep 4 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I have no PayPal account, little money, and no job (I'm not old enough for a good one.) There's not much I can do besides offer my best wishes to your friend. A leave of absence and time to sort out all the confusion might make a student loan unnecessary. If she does need one, getting a degree will help her get a better job, which will help her pay off the loan faster. The degree is a big thing, and she should get it if there's any way that she can. I'm very sorry for her situation, and I wish her the best of luck.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
oobunnie
post Sep 5 2005, 02:04 AM
Post #7

''Am'nt I the cutest ickle bunny?'' asmodeus

Member No.: 64

There is always bank student loans. It's the government student loans that take so long to get. A bank student loan is more like a personal loan, it does have small payments that you have to make every month but you dont pay the bulk of it off until you finish. The bank loans take about 4-5 days to get, but she would probably need a co-signer.
Plus technically she shouldnt get kicked out of school for not paying by the 15th. Most schools will give you a month extra but you do have to pay a late fee for doing so.

--------------------
Heaven has a road, but no one travels it; Hell has no gate but men will dig to get there. ~Chinese Proverb
I am the Ickle Mascot of Ish
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination!

+Quote Post
Marriegold
post Sep 6 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #8

Super advanced member

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE (beleraphon @ Sep 3 2005, 11:20 PM)

As LoLo says, you have to get a loan and worry about it later, after all if the degree means you get a good job you can then pay it off comfortably.

Flip I would never be able to afford that ahhhh. I am so jealous of my friends their parents have offered to pay for all of their education. It's all right for some. What are all the different ways of getting help to pay then? Are they easy to get?

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 6 2005, 01:44 PM
Post #9

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

When I finish University, it'll be entirely possible that I'll be facing a rather large £18,000 worth of debt with my student loan and overdraft, I'm not looking forward to it and they've started adding interest to it already. Admittedly I'm still rather heavily subsidised, or I was when my mum was earning less, but I still get help with tuition fees and what not. I think the idea is when you have a degree you can get a high enough paying job to help pay off the debt, though from what I've heard, it's not always the case.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
beleraphon
post Sep 10 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #10

Has too much time on their hands

Member No.: 1,001

QUOTE (Marriegold @ Sep 6 2005, 11:27 AM)
QUOTE (beleraphon @ Sep 3 2005, 11:20 PM)

Flip I would never be able to afford that ahhhh. I am so jealous of my friends their parents have offered to pay for all of their education. It's all right for some. What are all the different ways of getting help to pay then? Are they easy to get?

In the UK goverment student loans are great, good low index linked interest rates and you don't have to pay back till you start earning a reasonable wage - other countries I don't know.
Sadly in this day and age education is costly - its if you feel its worth getting into debt.

--------------------
Grass is taking over the world. Have you noticed it’s everywhere?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 04:14 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!