IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your Passion., That one you can just go on for hours...
Snugglebum the D...
post Sep 1 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #1

F*cking with the best since 1996

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 962

Watching Instinct this evening (Anthony Hopkins, fantastic film) and it got me thinking.

For many, many years I've had a fixation with Gorillas (always capital G in my head). I love they way they look, the way they live and just everything about them. Not only that - I've researched them. I know how they build their nests, mate, how the community is set up and even exactly how their spours look (it's like a triangle made from three prongs). I can't watch Gorillas in the Mist because I cry my heart out every time.

I realised that they are a passion of mine, one I thought I'd grown out of. Of all things that have changed over the years it's been my one constant. My biggest dream has always been to travel to Africa and watch the Gorillas. When I'm rich, I will do that.

So, what has been the constant passion in your life? Music, film, animal, mineral or whatever. Everyone must have something that just catches their interest and then they can talk about that one topic for hours.

What sets you off?

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Sep 2 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #2

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Music in general, really. I love to listen to it, I love to play it, I love to write it. Music = t3h rawk.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 2 2005, 12:29 AM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

Excluding my new found hobby.... (sewing) which I really cant talk about for hours, but really like anyhow....

I'd say people. I love to go places and just sit and watch people and wonder why they act the way they act and walk the way they walk.... If they spent a minute getting dressed this morning or half an hour.... I like learning about the psychology of people and why we supposodly think the way we think and all that.... I havent really done as much with my intrest as I could, I havent acctually read any psychology books or taken any classes but I plan to very very soon....

Heh, I just realized that just now.... thanks for starting the topic Snugglebum

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Sep 2 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #4

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

As corny as it may sound, I've found that loving is my passion. I love to love people, and I love making them happy.

Singing too, is also a passion of mine, probably because it seems to make others happy, which in turn makes me happy too happy.gif

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Sep 2 2005, 01:46 AM
Post #5

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Reading. Ever since I was small, I would sit up in my room with a book or two for hours. I don't read as much as I used to, or would like to, but I certainly haven't stopped.

There are others, like music (I mostly listen and do sing a bit) and writing (which I do all sorts of, but none of it's much good), but reading is probably my strongest. smile.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
uninspired pizza...
post Sep 2 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #6

Oh really?

Member No.: 1,837

My passion wold be learning, if im not learning, i feel although im taking backwards steps. If i dont know something, i just have to find it out.
Funny, concidering that i was a class clown in school.

--------------------
the noob of noone/e-knighted by jimi/now im typing in orange/

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post Sep 2 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #7

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

Definitely games most of all, but I can talk and talk and talk about books, movies and music as well. Its rare that I find someone other than my close friends that can sit with me and talk about all the sort of games I can talk about, so I kinda branched out into things that other people can talk back to me about.

That said, I can also go into a heck of a lot of other subjects in minute detail as well, its just that very few of them are interesting in any way (things like military history, technology, politics when I can be bothered watching the news).

Actually, I'd have to say that behind games and stories, my biggest passion would have to be knowledge, in any form. I love knowing things, though not a lot of people are happy to listen to me trying to share them wink.gif

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
funky fairy
post Sep 2 2005, 11:08 AM
Post #8

Worrying

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,985

I just love talking. If I can't talk to a real person then I'll talk on the tinternet!!
My mum always says the only exercise I get is when I talk!!!

I have muscley lips!!!!

--------------------
I am Cheesemooses noob!!
I am a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect!!

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 2 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #9

My direction

Member No.: 495

Since I was very small, music. Always. I can talk about it for hours, theory and practical sides of it. I love to sing, play, listen, read, anything. I spend most of my wages on CDs, scores and I obsess over music in a way I've rarely seen people obsess over partners and lovd ones. If I was bad when I was little, I never got grounded or anything, I just got my keyboard taken away.

More recently, poi (and fire twirling, fire sticks, whatever, but mostly poi). Graceful and elegant are not really words which could be used to accurately describe me in general, so it's just nice to feel like I can be those things on occasion; with poi, I can. It's also good stress releif - it gives me the physical release that I can't get so much from music and refuse to get from sport.

I also used to have an almost religious obsession with myths, legends and folklore, though not so much anymore, from any country, in much the same way as Tara- I just liked knowing things about them, it interests me.

I just have an obsessive personality tongue.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Sep 2 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #10

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I surpose my passion is finding out how and being able to make things. I have a tendency to lean towards olld skills and finding out how to do that. I can make jewellery not just bead work soldering and hammering bit of metal together and things like that, I can make clothes and generally sew, I can make chain mail which was an off shoot of the jewellery, I can do ceramics and glass to a degree, not had much to with wood but that doesn't mean I wouldn't. I kind of collect skills, I'm kind of like Tara and GA I'm interested in knowing thing and finding things out.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Silver Star Ange...
post Sep 2 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #11

The Six Train.

Member No.: 636

My passion is any of the characters and storylines I've created. A lot of them are confusing and deep and I could really go on for hours. Another passion of mine is 80's music. It's hard to get me to shut up about that.

--------------------
THE DREAM POLICE. D:
I am proudly e-married to Fluffy, I am honored to be the little sister of Righteous, and Lord of Darness is always on my mind. Smallcuteanddeadly is my noob! Yay!
Fear the wrath of my dragon, Lord Baltimore! I am willing to fight; I am a soldier of love. Speaker for the Lost is my e-pimp. Lol.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 3 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #12

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Go on for hours and hours?

Seriously, name a subject. I collect knowledge. Would you like to hear about role-playing games? I would love to tell you about role-playing games. When I'm holding court on some subject that captures my interest, I can talk and talk until your eyes glaze over.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
depressed lonely...
post Sep 3 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #13

Depressed, Lonely and getting crazier by the day!

Member No.: 1,469

from age 12 -Music
Music, genre, technicals of it, image of performers, perfomances, clips, artist dynamics, music culture, performers who are in several bands, fashions, music movements, icky 1991 musician hair, etc

lately(age 15) which I havn't been able to ramble and rant about-sewing
Sewing-period clothes, construction, fabrics, bargains, undergarments, cheaper ways to do and make things and good ways to make modifications.

To myself in the last year- relationship dynamics
In both friend and sexual relationship situations

--------------------
Vote Brian Molko for ruler of the whole world in 2007
I'm only wearing black till they make something darker
There's no I in team but there is a ME if you re-arange the letters!

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 3 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #14

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

The earth, and my connection with it. Also how music can get you to a different level emmotionaly and mentaly. I can go on about that for ages. And the sea. And woods. And vegetarianism.

I'm just a big 17 year old hippy at heart...
But with more intention of actually doing something biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 3 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #15

Advice for the young at heart

Member No.: 33

As is common with many people here: music. Listening, playing (piano), singing and, more recently, writing (or attempting to).

I also have a keen interest in dreams (of the sleeping variety). I have not really followed this through very much recently, but in past years I have actively kept diaries of all the things i've dreamt, and have done a little independent research on the science behind it. It is something I would like to explore more, and it is still a passion, I just haven't done much with it recently.

There are many other things, like 'dreams' above, which I have been hugely into at one stage, and then they have just falled by the wayside. So I'll leave them out.

Really, it is just music i suppose... my "passion".
Plenty of other stuff I like though tongue.gif

QUOTE (Silver Star Angel of Da Towers @ Sep 2 2005, 04:48 PM)
Another passion of mine is 80's music. It's hard to get me to shut up about that.

Heh... I know the feeling tongue.gif

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Sep 3 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #16

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

QUOTE (funky fairy @ Sep 2 2005, 12:08 PM)
I have muscley lips!!!!

Nggh! Must. Resist. Fellatio. Reference!

My passion is innuendo and sport. Sometimes combined together. But, seriously, I absolutely love sport. Of any kind; be it athletics or rowing, whatever. I love to play it and I love to watch it. There's something 'liberating' about it IMO - it allows me to forget all my worries and concentrate on one thing. Being a competitive person also means that I enjoy the win. Rar! *beats chest*

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 3 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 3 2005, 08:28 PM)
My passion is sport.

Oh! I forgot. My newest passion is squash. I've only been playing for about a year, and only regularly for about 8 months. But I love it. I forgot to mention it because, traditionally, it is ridiculous for me to ever mention I enjoy a sport. But squash is great.

Someone build me a squash court in my garden.

NOW

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Sep 3 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #18

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Sep 3 2005, 08:37 PM)
QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 3 2005, 08:28 PM)
My passion is sport.

Oh! I forgot. My newest passion is squash. I've only been playing for about a year, and only regularly for about 8 months. But I love it. I forgot to mention it because, traditionally, it is ridiculous for me to ever mention I enjoy a sport. But squash is great.

Someone build me a squash court in my garden.

NOW

Ahem brother. I recently beat my squash partner for the first time ever; a victory made all the more sweet by the fact that he's a cocky git. But, God, it's knackering.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 3 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #19

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

Art, as in the following:

Music
Body modification
Animations
Painting
Sculpting
Drawing
Cinematography
Drama
Literature (be it reading or writing)
Poetry
Architecture
Anything else art oriented that I've forgotten

I love skating, be it watching skate videos, playing Tony Hawk games or busting my ass on a board.

I love psychology. It's fun. Humans are sick, twisted idividuals and it's strangely entertaining.

My friends and family mean the world to me. I guess you can call that a passion.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Sep 3 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (little_bear @ Sep 3 2005, 08:49 PM)
Ahem brother.  I recently beat my squash partner for the first time ever; a victory made all the more sweet by the fact that he's a cocky git.  But, God, it's knackering.

^ That could be me saying that: I too have begun beating my squash partner in the last two or three months. And everytime I manage to beat him, he gets rather upset.

Aaaah... the satisfation.

*glows*

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Sep 3 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #21

: P>

Member No.: 991

Hmm. I could probably come up with quite a lot:

Roleplaying/boardgames - They probably shouldn't be in the same category but both are things I enjoy, though roleplaying is a recent one and one I don't get change to do as often as I like since the people I play with are at home and I'm usually away at uni.
Music - from as many sides as possible, though I suck at the playing part, slightly less at the writing part. Synthesisers and the programming thereof are one of the things I really like but also something I've only recently got into doing. I'm tempted to get myself a MIDI guitar since you have the coolness of a guitar and nifty synth sounds. I'd probably suck at playing it. Strangely I listen to a lot of rock and metal but have a habit of making excessively weird electronica.
Programming - the computer kind. It's been compared to poetry in that it's creative but doesn't really exist in the physical world. Kind of like how building things is fun but with an infinitely large supply of bits. I generally like making games but do more serious stuff since I can make money doing it. I made a really simple game in a weekend a while ago, it's available from here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/moopste/8653.html
Building/designing things - creating stuff that works is fun, mostly the building part, though designing things is good too. I recently got into radio controlled model planes which builds on that and has the added goodness that you can fly them too.
Diabolo - Kind of like {Gothic Angel} and Poi, I think the diabolo rocks. I've had one for about 10 years or something but only really remembered I had it 2 years ago. Since then I've gotten rather good at it and it's a fun thing to do and relieves stress. Nothing like pulling off a 6 trick combo which makes people blink and contains tricks nobody else has even seen before (I seem to invent a few tricks myself) to make you feel good. I've recently got a second diabolo and just about managed to start off with 2, shuffling them on the string is pretty hard but learning new stuff is fun.
Knowledge - I like to know stuff, more precisely I hate not knowing stuff or partially knowing stuff. I think this has something to do with my hate of rote learning. I like to know things from first principles up since it makes the knowledge a lot more useful when it comes to trying to cope with a situation different but similar to the ones you're used to.

Alternative operating systems might count too - BSD > *, after all.

Wow - that was all a bit longwinded and probably sheds a little too much light on my excessive geekery.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Sep 5 2005, 01:14 AM
Post #22

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

God, I can't believe I forgot video games. And writing. Really, with music, the three culmnate not only into what I want to do with my life, but what I like to do now. Of course any one who knows me or has ever seen me post on this board knows my video game passions lie in Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, and pretty much all Capcom games, and anyone that's seen me in my local coffeehouse, school literary magazine, or the Creations Board kows I like to write poetry and prose. I can talk about all three for hours, but I'd prefer to do them as well.

I like coffee, too, but I

a ) don't want to talk about it for hours
b ) can't talk about it for hours
c ) don't know anyone who would want to talk about it for hours and
d ) would rather talk about the above three over a cup of coffee.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 5 2005, 01:54 AM
Post #23

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE (Righteous @ Sep 3 2005, 03:55 PM)
Art, as in the following:

Music
Body modification
Animations
Painting
Sculpting
Drawing
Cinematography
Drama
Literature (be it reading or writing)
Poetry
Architecture
Anything else art oriented that I've forgotten

I love psychology. It's fun. Humans are sick, twisted idividuals and it's strangely entertaining.

My friends and family mean the world to me. I guess you can call that a passion.

From the two posts of yours I've read today we're extreamly alike.
Though this could be deceiving.

Anyhow, I left alot of things out in my last post but yours reminded me of somethings

I love writing poetry, though I havent lately because I've been crappy at it lately. I could probably talk about it for a long time as long as we werent directing it twards the 'favorite poets' area because I'm not big on reading poetry. Unless someone gives a certain poem to me, then I love to read and analyze. I have a book of poetry and I get overwhlemed by having so much emotion there in tantalyzing words that take me a bit longer to decipher than it would take to read prose.

Books, I love talking about books. I havent read much of what anyone likes to talk about. THough I love to take suggestions and buy the book and think about reading it tongue.gif

I use to love art class. Clay was my favorite because I got to make something that would be usefull (I made a heart shaped dish sort of thing that I keep spare change in now, though now that I look at it it was rather unsillfully made....) Painting is fun though I dont do it much

I love to draw but usually only do it when I'm bored in class or when I take a day off and spend it sitting in starbucks working up an insane caffine high. I draw some fairly strange sketches sometimes.

My first drama experiance was reciting a scene of Romeo and Juliette last year. It was the scene where Mercutio talked about Queen mab. But I did the whole scene tongue.gif I'm not sure if I acctually acted it out good, but I did a hell of alot better than anyone else would have been able to! I loved it ^^; Since that I havent really done much in the drama area though I would love to so much.

Body modification if you're counting corsets. No waist training as of yet, though. I keep repeircing the third hole in my ears but I dont have an earring to put in it so they close up.... I'm silly.

I love to _think_ about stuff to do with me and this one guy. Mostly psychological things and how we act and relate to eachother. Though sometimes I end up on gooey sappy stuff tongue.gif

I like sewing. Its becoming a passion, the problem is I dont have the money to fund it. I tend to do Renaissance and want to expariment with earlier renaissance instead of later renaissance but I dont have the money right now. I plan on branching out into victorian since I have this really nicely made victorian corset now.... yaayy

I think thats it....

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Sep 5 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #24

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

- Reading anything of fantasy, science fiction, or historical fiction. I love telling people about really good books or whining about how much I hated really bad books. (Don't ever get me started on C.S. Lewis wannabe "Jesus loves the good guys" people who write Christian conversion masquerading as bad fantasy. EVER.)
- Doing enormously complex jigsaw puzzles all by myself. I hate it when people try to interfere or "help" me so that they can claim that they did it too. These people have a special level of hell reserved just for them.
- Posting here. This is recent, but my friends are already asking me to shut up about this place.
- Playing hard stuff on the piano. I'm rather obsessed with classical right now.
- Any sort of roleplaying game on the computer. I love the Baldur's Gate set and the various expansions that keep branching off. I play RuneScape more than I should.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Sep 5 2005, 06:41 AM
Post #25

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

Oh, and larping. We don't get to do it as much as we'd like, but dammit, when we do, it kicks ass.

The Internet. 'Nuff said.

Going back to the art thing, everything and anything involving Tragick.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:48 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!