Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flash Fiction, 100 word stories
Dige
post Sep 9 2005, 04:48 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,003

Hi, this is my second post, so please forgive any misuse at this point. Point it out to me for sure, but please don't hold it against me. I just started this thread for 100 word stories. This one of mine was written based upon a statment, "And then there was a bird," as a bird flew by the car windshield. I turned and said, "That would make a good start of a story." And so, here it is.

And then there was a bird. Amid a tangle of lines drawn in haste of other things not completed. It was definitely a bird. It stood on one leg, and it had one eye looking out on the artist. At first the eye had been a simple circle, later a marble, but now it was so completely that baleful eye, looking out in such a haughty tone. It can’t be changed. That eye looks out and glares whenever I try to. Thus the bird shall stay as it is, in its myriad realm of chaotic swirls, as it so wills.

--------------------
I'm a minion, Bwahahaha!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 9 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #2

My direction

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 495

In terms of writing short stories... eh. I'm not really an author, I just occasionally get random flashes of inspiration. But... I liked that. happy.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Dige
post Sep 10 2005, 11:53 AM
Post #3

Random flashes are most of what I get. The entire story hits as a whole thing, and then I spend the next hour or so, unpacking that flash thought. I never have been able to deside on a title for this one. Probably something like, "Walking Again"

He just walked on. The street was empty; no cars drove on it, and even small animals like squirrels seemed be absent. He was wearing his normal clothes. His pants were ripped, and even his shirt had begun to look the worse for wear. There were penned designs down his arms, jostling with the cuts and burns for space. His eyes were bloodshot, maybe from tears, maybe from other means. Maybe I should reveal myself to him. Maybe even I could help him, but though I wish to, I know I’ll just let him keep walking, as I always do.

--------------------
I'm a minion, Bwahahaha!

+Quote Post
Apollyon
post Sep 15 2005, 11:23 PM
Post #4

Super Cool

Member No.: 1,734

Interesting concept. I usually write longer works (obviously), but I'll try my hand at this. I wrote it in about a minute, so I hope its not too horrible.

Infinity had been suspended inside a bell jar. Just a concept thought up by the many restless minds that worked the laboratory late into the night. A dream that had suddenly been made reality. A trapped sentiment of the perpetuity of space, wanting to stretch forever, but eternally confined within walls of glass. Walls that were so thin, infinitesimally thin, but held reality worlds away. In the exhibition hall, thousands of brilliant minds gathered to see what had been done, gawking over seas of heads. People cheered, shouted, applauded, never knowing how it felt to be suspended inside a bell jar.

--------------------
Subliminal
LIMINAL!!

+Quote Post
Dige
post Sep 17 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #5

I like it. I don't have a story to add here at the moment, but I might sometime. I've heard people say that they like writting one of these as a warm up before working on a larger piece.

--------------------
I'm a minion, Bwahahaha!

+Quote Post
Jimmy-von-Lucidi...
post Sep 21 2005, 09:56 AM
Post #6

Super advanced member

From: Armidale, a festering hole of northern NSW Australia
Member No.: 2,000

Wow this flash fiction thing is great since I read this thread a week or two ago I've found it a great tool. Normally I'll have nothing in mind, no target, no character, no plot elements, I'll just write what comes to mind as long as it stays coherent. From these I've written a few larger short stories. Some of these short stories even contain multiple flashes.

Anyway here's a flash!

I watch you watching me. I listen to you talking to me. I wonder what it is you perceive in me; what do you see and hear?
I know it's not how I perceive myself. I want to touch you but as much as I can see you we might as well live in separate cells.
I love the things that make you, you. All the little tiny imperfections that show the weight of the world. The scar under your lips, that crooked wary smile, the way you touch your hair when you're nervous. And for all that I feel I quail and recede back in to myself when I speculate as to what you see and I grow bitter and resent your eyes and ears upon me.

+Quote Post
Dige
post Sep 22 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #7

I'm glad you like it. It really is interesting to write.

There really is a lot I think can do with this bit. Either by allowing him to survive, by following what his many thoughts might be, or even by changing perspective between him and his comrades. I'll probably be working on expanding this one for a while.

A man fell from the sky, his brown clothes streaming behind him in the wind. At the proper moment he and his comrades activated their parachutes. Instead of opening they fell off their backs. He had not been given commands for this situation and found himself in one of those rare times when he could think and decide for himself. Him and all of the new cyborg troops loved these times and were given them for rewards. This time the reward was small, as the only free thought he had, was to the extent of ‘Someone has sabotaged my parachute.’

--------------------
I'm a minion, Bwahahaha!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Oct 19 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #8

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

*bump*

Has anyone tried doing shorter ones? I'm very fond of the 55 and 50 word stories, myself.

(Water dripped. He could hear it, permeating the dun-colored walls of his mother’s home. She was in there, too.
(He searched.)
Bones rotting, her teeth fossilized in a glass. Sweat beading on his forehead. Looking everywhere, dreaming he crawled through the walls and found it. A broken pipe, and next to it her wedding dress….
)

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Dige
post Oct 25 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #9

Nice, might I ask why you put it in 3 point? It made a tad bit more difficult to read. I do like it though

--------------------
I'm a minion, Bwahahaha!

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Oct 26 2005, 01:21 AM
Post #10

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Thank you!

(I didn't want to brag or hijack the thread, and also I was nervous as to what people would think.)

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Dige
post Oct 26 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #11

Not a hijack at all. I just personally have trouble with less than 100 words. I suppose I just tend to be a wordy person. Keep up the good writting.

--------------------
I'm a minion, Bwahahaha!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 12:48 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!