IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> See the mute button? -Press it., Stories of gross computer incompetence.
froggle-rock
post Sep 17 2005, 11:24 PM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Just had a convo with Mata in which he told me a story wher ehe had to explain to a guy he is doing some work for, how to cut and paste. 0o

An ex phoned me up once asking me if I could help him out, as his Mac wasn't making any sound. I told him to play a song. He did. I asked him if he could see the 'mute' button on his keyboard. The 'mute' button being next to the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons. This guy was studying music at uni on Macs! laugh.gif

My mum once had to point out that there was a power switch on the back of the PC tower, to a friend.

I know that you lovies have come up against GCI (Gross Computer Incompitence), so share*.

*Sharing = caring wink.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Sep 18 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #2

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Not a specific story as such, but I know that when the first error screen on the original Windows came up and said to press any key to continue, people would call tech support to ask,"Where's the any key? I can't find it on the keyboard!" smile.gif
Some people just have far too many problems using technology. Garbage in, garbage out, I'm afraid.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Sep 18 2005, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

The other day I had a mate come around my house. Normally this guy is pretty tech savvy, but he told me a story that made me giggle.

He spent an hour trying to figure out why his password wasn't being accepted for Everquest 2. Then he realised that capslock was on. rolleyes.gif

Or back in my secondary school. The login system to get into Windows 3.1 was run in DOS. I would delete the prompt with a combination of ALT+2+5+6 on the numeric keypad (if I remember correctly). I would then type in my own message.
"Type in your pin number, you slaaaaaag:" Etc. Whatever they typed in would fail to log them into Windows.

Oh the hillarity! Of course the teachers got annoyed and banned anyone from doing it under pain of death.

Another classic was turning the monitor brightness down and watching them turn on and off the computer all lesson. Cretins.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Sep 18 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I've been trying to be helpful to the people in my lab at school for Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and In Design.

Well I've had to deal with a guy who's mad that I was trying to help him and the girl across from him who he was trying to flirt with, because he couldn't then be the good guy who figured out what he didn't know how to do.

Friday I dealt with someone who really couldn't understand anything we were doing and I helped her with the copy paste shortcuts and she just clung. Everytime we did something she would say, "Excuse me excuse me how do you do that," and it got to the point that I was falling behind on what the teacher was doing. I wanted to just yell, "Stop making pretty stars on your work and pay attention to what the teacher is explaining so I can get my own work done!" I didn't though because I'm too nice.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Sep 18 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #5

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I'm not sure if I've acctually done it but it definatley sounds like something I'd do.... especially since I was working on my computer for a long while and it consisted of repetedly unplugging everything and plugging it back in....

But I'm pretty sure once I was trying to turn my computer on and it wouldnt turn on and after a while I discovered that I forgot the power plug.... 0.0;

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Sep 18 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #6

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

My dad is constantly trying to keep us off of the computer for as long as possible. I consider it a game. So far, Me:3 Him: 0

His first attempt was to turn the computer off by the switch at the back. Sadly, I had already figured that out from my sister, who had figured it out from him.

Next, He tried unplugging it. He lost again. But it did make some pretty sparks when I put the right plug in and forgot to turn the power off...

And then, He tried just logging off of the computer. He figured that I could never guess his secret screen name and password. I just had to type * into the "name" space.

I think he wants me to go outside or something. blink.gif

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Sep 18 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #7

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

Ah, I have a ton of these. p_o

I got dragged down to my grandads house because he couldn't get the computer to work, pressing the power button sorted that one nicely. blink.gif In his defense it's an old case with a toggle switch on the front rather than an electronic one so he usually just turned it off/on at the mains. unsure.gif

I was setting up a site to site VPN for a company along with remote VPN logins for some people to work from home. I got a tech support phone call about it along the lines of "I've just told my computer to disconnect my VPN connection to <office>, why can I no longer access the server there.".

The stupidly obvious ones are always the best.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 18 2005, 07:25 PM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

I'm usually the person the stories of incompetence are about... dry.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Sep 18 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #9

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Sep 18 2005, 10:29 AM)
The other day I had a mate come around my house. Normally this guy is pretty tech savvy, but he told me a story that made me giggle.

He spent an hour trying to figure out why his password wasn't being accepted for Everquest 2. Then he realised that capslock was on.  rolleyes.gif

I'm sorry but in his defence the Caps lock ones easy to do not that Iv'e even done it to the point where I had to call IT because I was locked out honest. Nope never done it no way Nuh uh.......

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Sep 21 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #10

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Me: I want to rearrange my files from work last year into a new folder so I won't get confused.
Computer: Ha Ha!!! She will never be able to do anything that useful I know what I'll do I'll put a pretty new icon on the list and she'll think that looks interesting
Me: oooh a pretty new icon that looks like a briefcase. That'l do it
Computer: She fell for it!!!!
Me: Oh it will only let me copy the files. Never mind I'll just delete the originals from the original file
Computer: Does she have a brain...?
Me: There done it. And I've finished deleting all the original files. Oh these new files appear to be asking to be refreshed. Better do that then
Computer. SHE HAS FALLEN INTO MY TRAP!"!!!!!!!!
Me: Where have all my files gone? PANIC!!!! Press help function
Help: "A briefcase file is for use when transferring files between a desk top and a lap top
Me: Uh....oh....SH!T! A whole years work lost.

This transcript is completely true including all the bleddy smart ar$e things the puter said. *mutters under breath*

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Bragi
post Sep 21 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #11

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,028

"Help! I can't get into my e-mail!"
"Have you plugged everything in?"
"Yes! The computer's working, I just can't get in my e-mail!"
"Including the network cable?"
"...what's that?"

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Sep 21 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #12

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

A while ago the on/off buton on our computer broke. I phoned my dad. "Dad, how do I turn off the computer?"
"Well turn it off from the back"
the back of the computer was missing.
"It's not there"
"so turn it off at the mains"
*pulls out first mains plug and all the little lights go out*

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Sep 21 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #13

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

Anyone who has a Logitech wireless optical mouse will know that they're evil. It took me ages to get mine working...

The battery compartment thing has two springs at the bottom, implying that both batteries should be inserted the same way. But, alas, this is not the case!

*Runs off*

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bragi
post Sep 21 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #14

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,028

"Help! My monitor's gone all weird!"
*walks around desk, pushes buttons on monitor to realign screen, walks back to own desk*

...or (on a Windows 98 computer - there's only four that have since been upgraded to XP)...

"Help! I've lost the bar at the bottom of the screen!"
*walks round, drags and drops toolbar back to original place*

It often surprises me that I appear to be the go-to guy for computer problems at work. It's an admin office, so when you have to show people who have worked there for years how to use Excel, you get a little worried.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Sep 21 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #15

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

"Help! I've lost the bar at the bottom of the screen!"
*walks round, drags and drops toolbar back to original place*

My father called me on the phone from work because his toolbar was stuck on the side. rolleyes.gif And I will admit I've had monitor adjustment issues...

Love,
Doodle Jiggles

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
El Nino
post Sep 26 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #16

I pull the wings off god

Member No.: 1,340

This guy was bragging about how no-one would be able to find out how he made his prompt and text in DOS flash with multicoloured lettering, when I was in college, so all I had to do was type in a three letter word which was "set" and hit the return.

Unfortunately I did not have enough of a chance to read the prompt specs before he cleared the screen (it's not all that easy to read flashing text).

--------------------
Please try to remember, when reading my posts, that I've probably not watched the same films & tv shows as you. I try not to watch music vids & I've also probably not even heard about them from other people. Man to woman "If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong!"/She's all lips & hips, she knows how to use them to make you flip//Liquor store & gun store, next to one another, with only one purpose, so you all kill each other,//Member of the pro cath association // Froggys' sugar-e-daddy//You can't spell politics without tics/[b]/Note to self: Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations = human stupidity.Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the females (not shemales).

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Sep 27 2005, 07:05 PM
Post #17

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

Taking 2 and a half hours to find my headphone outlet. The one typically located in the back of the tower. wink.gif

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:28 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!