Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Being a hypocrite
Witless
post Sep 20 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #1

happy.. sad.. happy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,536

Ok first lets look at the word hypocrite, or 'hypocrisy' as a topic... the dictionary says, "a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold".

Not exactly the meaning I meant, but wikipedia comes up with,
"Hypocrisy also refers to the act of criticizing others for behavior which one engages in as well, or in other words, not practising what you preach. An example would be a parent who smokes, but admonishes their adolescent child not to smoke."
I prefer the latter, because it's the definition I am more familiar with, and it's the one I'm talking about for this topic.
People hate hypocrites, or being labelled as such like the plague. It's like the insult to the intelligence of a person. If saying, "yo momma's a &*?!%" is offensive to a bar brawling drunkard. Then "God your a hypocrite" is a punch in the face to the socially sensitive.
Why is that? I been wondering more and more on that recently. Let's think about it... does every smoker think it's ok to smoke? No, some smokers hate cigerettes and cigerette companies. It's just that difficulties in being able to quit mean they continue to smoke. But, it's as if they are suddenly banished from being an anti smoker.
Why is there this stigma against believing in something but not throwing yourself 100% behind your beliefs in every single thing you do.
I know personally I have a million strongly held personal beliefs. If I wanted to put full backing into every single one, I'd need a lot more than 24 hours per day to get things done.

So after my recent thinkings and musings to myself, I've decided, hypocrisy isn't always bad in all cases. Too much of it is bad for obvious reasons. But if we don't engage in at least a little of it. We're limiting ourselves to believing in only so much as we have time for. That's just a shame....

So I'm starting this post to list 3 of your hypocrisys. List everytime you have had two points of view on something. Or changed your mind on something that you was 100% sure of the day before. Or all those things you strongly believe in, but don't activitely support.

I'll start!

So yeah, I'm against the fur trade, I think in theory it's no different to farming. In practice it just puts a huge value on the furs of rare animals, so they are hunted more heavily.
However.. I have leather shoes, have never even lifted a finger to support the cause, so.. oh well!

I think we're an interdependant species. We only do so well on the planet because we work together. When people take partrotism too far, and seperate people's into their little clubs and lands. We're essentially dooming ourselfs. At the end of the day the world needs everyone to care, not just a few. Or we're doomed!
However.. I'm a fairly independant person, and find it difficult to want to be around people for the majority of the time, I don't really mind not being needed and not needing anyone else!

I believe in both free speech, and the right to not be offended. Free speech says we should have guns.. my right to not be offended says I should be able to feel at least reasonably safe when I'm in public. I should be able to live however I like, but if society is not given some guidelines we'll devolve into anarchy. Constant battle that one.

Yeah.. I have infinite more, but there's three...

Also.. as a quick after thought of a question... do people here think hypocrisy is as evil as it is normally seen as?

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Sep 20 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #2

Perfection Personified

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,548

Ok first lets look at the word hypocrite, or 'hypocrisy' as a topic... the dictionary says, "a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold".

People hate hypocrites, or being labelled as such like the plague. It's like the insult to the intelligence of a person. If saying, "yo momma's a &*?!%" is offensive to a bar brawling drunkard. Then "God your a hypocrite" is a punch in the face to the socially sensitive.
Why is that?

It's the equivalent to being called a liar. By that I mean not being able to back up your words. You wouldn't trust someone who lies constantly, why trust the words of someone who does the opposite of what they say?

I been wondering more and more on that recently. Let's think about it... does every smoker think it's ok to smoke? No, some smokers hate cigerettes and cigerette companies. It's just that difficulties in being able to quit mean they continue to smoke. But, it's as if they are suddenly banished from being an anti smoker.
Why is there this stigma against believing in something but not throwing yourself 100% behind your beliefs in every single thing you do.
I know personally I have a million strongly held personal beliefs. If I wanted to put full backing into every single one, I'd need a lot more than 24 hours per day to get things done.

That isn't hypocracy. You can still hate something and do it. I hated taking the bus to school. I still did it. I'm not a hypocrite for doing it. However you WOULD be a hypocrite if you hated something and yet still tried to pursuade others to engage in it. So in this case I could hate smoking myself but continue doing it, but if I then offered cigarettes to other people I would be a hypocrite.

Likewise it does not matter that you do not fling yourself into something with all your heart. Say you are a vegan, are you a hypocrite if you do not attack meat eaters in the streets and firebomb farms? No. It's a personal choice. Likewise you would only be a hypocrite if you again offered meat to other people.

I hate hypocracy and I avoid doing it with a passion. It's very easy to slip into it so you must be wary, but it is not an all pervasive thing like you describe it as. Indeed, I do not rant and rave at others failings if they do slip into it (unless they are public figures, they have a dire responsibility and should be of the highest calibur) because I know that I am capable of doing it myself.

Hmmm... personal hypocracy... I'm not sure.

I think it is right and good to give money to the less fortunate. I will give money to the homeless and I donate money to childrens charities on a regular basis. However I will not give money to someone if I need to spend time whacking out my wallet in front of a load of people. I'm just cautious like that I suppose.

I find the way animals are farmed and cows/goats 'treated' rather appalling. However I do consume the flesh of dead creatures, and drink milk even though... well if I think too much about it I feel unwell.

I dislike music elitests however I will scoff at tunes I dislike when at a club. Not every song I dislike, just ones that really grate on me. I suppose by deffinition that would make me an elitist.. I think.

Oh and the right to carry weapons is not free speech. Carrying a weapon is not expression unless you are using it as fashion. Likewise how does your 'right to not being offended' (if there is such a right, I doubt it as that would contradict free speech) get voided by not feeling safe? I am not offended that I am not 100% safe... I'm worried, but not offended. That's like being offended because the world doesn't revolve around you.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 12:12 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!