Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lab work
the lil' pie...
post Oct 26 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #1

Don't you just love hot water bottles?

Group: New Members
Member No.: 160

How many people here are at/have been at uni and did a lab work subject? I'm finding it really weird to have the freedom to work through things over two days, especially as I'm doing chemistry and I spent ages making things hiss and smoke yesterday. Physics and biology have lab days here too, as well as computer science and biochemistry, and technology/engineering types, so I wondered if anyone else is having/had as much fun as I'm having??
Oh and because I'm pleased with myself, I got an A- on my first practical script, which is as near as damnit to a first-class level as I've ever been laugh.gif

--------------------
It's not so bad being trendy, everyone who looks like me is my friend...

SHINY...

Freshers Flu is a buttmunch.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Oct 26 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

I don't get to work with any nifty chemicals. My only labs are with a virtual rat I have lovingly named Hezekiah. Hezzie, for short. I'm glad that she's just virtual, cause I'd feel horribly guilty shocking a real rat. sad.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Oct 26 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I thought every school does labs? Guess I'm wrong. We do labs in biology and chemistry, but they're mostly boring seeing as we have to take into account that most the students just want to be jerks and ruin things for everyone.

In biology we disected various animals, poked at their insideds, and then chucked them in the trash. We also did various labs with premade slides where we had to draw what we saw (boring) and such and such.... Not really fun.

Same with chemistry. So far its nothing real intresting, just taking measurements of stuff. Once we got to mix basic chemicals (soap.... water.... salt.... sugar....) and had to figure out what additive to normal soap and water makes a better bubble, discovered it was sugar, and never figured out _why_ it was sugar.

All of this is making labs very unlikable because we're not learning anything =(

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Oct 26 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Ah, lab work. I remember university labs were only the same amount of time as a lecture was. I still remember the astronomy labs with fondness as they were often resceduled for night time to take advantage of good weather. We were also allowed to play around with lenses and take photos of the moon.
Biology I mainly remember for the experiment that went wrong. We were supposed to be learning how fast a population of paramecium will grow given a predetermined temperature and food supply. I had a single cell predator, (it looked different from the study cells) whimsically called Bob, that decimated my population and seriously screwed the results. I liked Bob and was sorry to see that experiment end. I dutifully noted the presence of Bob and his effect on the population and got a good mark for that lab. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Oct 26 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #5

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

The only labs I ever really like are computer labs, when I get to 'work' on the computer for three hours straight, which mostly entails me surfing the web and occasionally programming the little things my teacher asks me to. In fact, I'm right now in my C++ lab, he's 'teaching' us about functions. I've been using functions for nine years, from QBasic to Visual Basic, to the TI-83+ to now. Since I don't really need to pay attention, I can spend the entire time online. This makes me happy smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Oct 26 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #6

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I had a bio lab once where all we did pretty much was look through microscopes and go around to different stations saying what was what. The only really cool thing I got to do in it was put my finger in the different valves of the heart, oh and see if I could make a condom break.

Most of my labs though aren't science related. I had photography labs a long time ago and probably will have them again next semester. That's hours on end in a dark room smelling developer. I like the way developer smells by the way.

This semester I have a computer lab where I sit there and play with different Adobe programs. Currently we're on photoshop and since I know a lot more than everyone else, I just sit there and dink around during the lecture portion, finish up my work quickly and either help other students while I wait for my teacher to check off my work, or get her to check my work quickly and go home. I don't really like my lab this semester though because I could do more if I were at home. Now the question is would I actually do that work while at home. lol

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
ANIME JUNKY
post Oct 26 2005, 11:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,080

in my science class i get to go in another room and do what ever chapter i whant it is prety cool biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Oct 27 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #8

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Kitty @ Oct 26 2005, 01:37 PM)
I thought every school does labs? Guess I'm wrong.

Depends on the school. This class is the first one I've had a lab in during 4 years of uni...because I did geology and stuff for my natural science credits.

But when chemistry, physics, or biology classes are involved...I think most schools do them, yeah.

I had a ton of labs in high school. My favorite one was making glow in the dark stuff for chem. biggrin.gif We all took turns going into the shower room with our concoctions since it didn't have any windows and you could see the glow better. It faded fairly quickly, though.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Oct 27 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #9

QUOTE (Kitty @ Oct 26 2005, 08:37 PM)
I thought every school does labs? Guess I'm wrong.

No you're not, it's just that I was asking about uni labs more. My school did labs in everything, don't worry smile.gif

QUOTE (candice @ Oct 27 2005, 01:08 AM)
I had a ton of labs in high school.  My favorite one was making glow in the dark stuff for chem.  biggrin.gif  We all took turns going into the shower room with our concoctions since it didn't have any windows and you could see the glow better.  It faded fairly quickly, though.

I like glowing stuff too, but I like smoking stuff more. Add some refluxed orange chemical to smelly ammonia and whoosh, smoke pours everywhere and it hisses like Medusa's snakes laugh.gif made me very happy, did that part!

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Oct 27 2005, 09:22 AM
Post #10

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE (candice @ Oct 27 2005, 01:08 AM)
I had a ton of labs in high school.  My favorite one was making glow in the dark stuff for chem.  biggrin.gif  We all took turns going into the shower room with our concoctions since it didn't have any windows and you could see the glow better.  It faded fairly quickly, though.
I like glowing stuff too, but I like smoking stuff more. Add some refluxed orange chemical to smelly ammonia and whoosh, smoke pours everywhere and it hisses like Medusa's snakes laugh.gif made me very happy, did that part!

! We dont get to do any fun stuff =( Though the first day of chemisty the teacher blew bubbles with the gas we use in class for the burners, then light the bubbles on fire.... pretty nifty. But I have strong doubts about doing anything fun and chemically.... And if we do something we're not supposed to we get expelled blink.gif
So much for fun glowy and smoky stuff....

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Oct 27 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #11

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

Alas, philosophy students get no labs smile.gif Shame, I want to experimentally test Kant's categorical imperative.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Oct 27 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #12

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

My computing labs are a pain in the arse at the moment.

It means I have to drag my 8051 experiment board into uni on monday mornings and carry it around all day. The board is small but the box for it is annoyingly big.

Microprocessors is the only real subject we have labs for at the moment.

As for programming labs a few years ago, listening wasn't necessary. The lecturer was awful and I shocked a few lecturers by doing stuff in C or PERL they'd not seen before.

PgrmDave: I pft at your C++ and raise you Objective-C.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
the lil' pie...
post Oct 27 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Oct 27 2005, 09:49 AM)
Alas, philosophy students get no labs smile.gif Shame, I want to experimentally test Kant's categorical imperative.

What on earth would testing that consist of??? huh.gif

--------------------

SHINY...

+Quote Post
Daria
post Oct 28 2005, 04:55 PM
Post #14

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

We get to play in the lab. It's very fun, especialy as our chemistry teacher suggests thing we do.. Then says "but I didn't tell you to do that, right?" biggrin.gif

I think the most fun we have had so far, is melting small glass tubes and making them into shapes. We were meant to be testing the melting points of some crystals we had made...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 05:41 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!