Reply to this topicStart new topic
> cell phone, a talent for texting
Wiseacre
post Nov 17 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,650

Right now, my talent is text-messaging (I know, I know, I can't help it, it's an obsession). I've been procrastinating from work here: www.textfaster.t9.com. I now officially have the fasted fingers around, which has gotta count for something, right? Right?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Nov 17 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #2

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I now officially have the fasted fingers around, which has gotta count for something, right? Right?!

*gigglesnort*

I suppose that entirely depends on what your using them...

Yeah, yeah - shutting up now. wink.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Nov 17 2005, 09:42 PM
Post #3

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

Aahh... text-messaging. I have a love hate relationship with the medium. "Hurrah," I say, to being able to send a quick message to someone without having to interrupt their activities with a phone call. Yes, "Hurrah!". But I also scream and swear at the fact that I have to write a sentence, and then slowly work my way back through the words and punctuation, filtering out anything I can remove safely - and yet keeping the basic idea present - just in order to fit it into the meagre number of characters per message. Damn the SMS deities!

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Nov 17 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #4

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I never have that problem, 120 charcters is usually more than enough for me to say what I want in proper English with punctuation. I am evidently very succinct.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Nov 17 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Nov 17 2005, 10:48 PM)
I never have that problem, 120 charcters is usually more than enough for me to say what I want in proper English with punctuation. I am evidently very succinct.

It is never enough for me and I am continually finding myself doing that one thing that I am normally loathed to do: use 'txt' abbreviations.

Ho hum.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 18 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #6

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Nov 17 2005, 01:48 PM)

Is it really only 120 characters? Hrm. I never found it to be an issue either. I think I had maybe 1 or 2 instances where my message was too long.

I like texting, think it's convenient for the same reasons Hobbes listed...but don't like to be one of those people who is constantly glued to their phone. *shrug* I probably look like it though...because I forget to wear a watch and when I have my phone with me I constantly look at it to check the time...

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 18 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #7

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

The text message king will always be Dayan (Debaser). He could send a message while his phone was in his pocket, not even looking at the screen! He even slept with it! (Yes, I photograph people in their sleep). unsure.gif

Edit: Is it really only 120? I thought it was 160, I know this because my phone has a little counter telling me how many characters I have left.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Wiseacre
post Nov 18 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #8

Super advanced member

QUOTE (Hobbes @ Nov 17 2005, 10:24 PM)
QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Nov 17 2005, 10:48 PM)

It is never enough for me and I am continually finding myself doing that one thing that I am normally loathed to do: use 'txt' abbreviations.

Ho hum.

Have you used any of the predictive text programs? I guess if space is your problem that might not help all that much. I used to use shortcuts all the time (and I hate doing it, makes me sound 12) before I started using T9.

And right now my fast fingers will only be used for texting, dirty snugglebum comments notwithstanding. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Nov 18 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #9

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Nov 18 2005, 11:07 AM)
Edit: Is it really only 120? I thought it was 160, I know this because my phone has a little counter telling me how many characters I have left.

It's probably different on different phones. Mine's quite old so it may have less.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Nov 18 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #10

My direction

Member No.: 495

I type text into my phone ridiculously fast, but I can't use predictive text. And I always use proper english and punctuation if I can - frankly, it's too much like hard work to go back and take the extra letters out, and I hate the way "u" instead of "you" looks. It takes all the sincerity out of what you're saying if you're "talking" about something serious. On the other hand, I always manage to send my texts to the same person out of habit, regardless of whom I am intending to text when I write it dry.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Nov 18 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #11

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

What I find annoying is my phone has a very limited dictionary for its predicted text, and I can't add words to it so say I want to spell my name, Shaun, I have to do the Sh first, then do a space, au then an n, and delete the spaces. Infuriating but I can't use non-predicted.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Nov 20 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #12

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I don't have a cell phone, but if I got one I probably wouldn't use the text. It looks like too much bother and I can't stand the stupid little abbreviations. They always make me think that a paricularly literacy-challenged five-year-old has been sending things.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 20 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I am one of those people who, if it takes more than one message to say something in proper English, will then continue with what they have to say into a second message. My phone is pretty old, so it doesn't have the "overrun" into more than one message feature.

Having said this, if I am running low on credit, I will use full words, but have a capital at the start of each one and delete the spaces biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Nov 20 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #14

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I would love to actually USE texting, but it's not in my plan, and my father hesitates to spend the $5 a month or some ridiculously low fee that he would have to pay so we don't have to pay 12 cents a letter or something stupid. Ah well. I think typing in my phone is fun, but I make frequent mistakes, and I'd much rather just call the person. But I would definitely use text messaging if I had it, but I would not abbreviate anything stupidly... it would hurt me too much. tongue.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Nov 21 2005, 06:49 AM
Post #15

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Apparently if I run over the number of characters in one text, it just automatically puts the rest onto a new text. Now, while this would be good normally (I get unlimited texting within the US), seeing as I frequently text internationally rolleyes.gif it's not quite as useful.

*points and looks shocked at Sarah, who enjoys using the soul-sucker!*

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Fallen Element
post Nov 21 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #16

Obliterates Everything He Kisses

Member No.: 633

I love texting - I've just sent one now. I don't really like talking over the phone because I have a fear that my voice will sound different. Also, with text messages, I can't get into things I don't want to talk about by accident. I get attacked over the phone all the time. The amount of times I've agreed to go shopping with mean people because I got flustered on the phone: 9 times and counting.

I'm fast at texting as well - I'm a whore to predictive text. I love it.

Oooh - a reply!

Fal xXx

--------------------
The bookworm - bellydancing tart of Snuggles Harem
Fallen World
I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it. . .

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Nov 22 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #17

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

QUOTE (Fallen Element @ Nov 21 2005, 10:05 PM)
I love texting - I've just sent one now......
Oooh - a reply!

Fal xXx

I bet that was me! I love texty goodness as well, I hate talking on phones casue if you get bored it's rude to hang up - it's easier to blow someone off by text tongue.gif And cause I'm also a slave to the predictive goodness I can text while drunk and nobody knows!

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
Wiseacre
post Nov 28 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #18

Super advanced member

QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Nov 22 2005, 03:26 PM)
QUOTE (Fallen Element @ Nov 21 2005, 10:05 PM)
I love texting - I've just sent one now......
Oooh - a reply!

Fal xXx

I bet that was me! I love texty goodness as well, I hate talking on phones casue if you get bored it's rude to hang up - it's easier to blow someone off by text tongue.gif And cause I'm also a slave to the predictive goodness I can text while drunk and nobody knows!

Aha! I'm glad you brought that up, nice to know that I'm not the only one that texts under the influence. I figure if I can use T9 I'm still sober enough!

+Quote Post
ee-wan bell-arm-...
post Dec 14 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #19

From: somewhere near (think at least I was last time I checked)
Member No.: 2,138

you might want to consider changing "cell phone" to mobile phone", i thought you where on about human cells for a moment.

(really, i did!)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:08 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!