Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When I was a noob..., memories of your noob experiences
LoLo
post Nov 22 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #1

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I just thought perhaps it would be fun to look back at our own trials and tribulations when we were noobs, or just our fun from when we were noobs.

So I'll start.

When I was a noob it was the beginning of the boards. Most of the people who were members already knew Mata in some way and so I felt a little alienated because I was just a fan of the animations. It took what seemed like forever to get people to respond to me, but in reality it was probably a day or two. At that time though, a day or two was a long time for responses. In fact I don't think anyone even responded to my introductions thread until months later when people were bumping old intro threads.

I remember we spammed a lot and only had one forum area. Since there were so few members spam didn't seem to be something to complain about just fun conversations. I'm not saying it needs to go back to this way either because it is nice to have a low spam forum like we do today.

I remember no one took me seriously on the forums until I did the marshmallow dare, which was sticking two marshmallows up my nose, eating them, and documenting my actions.

Oh and of course we had to walk 2 miles uphill in the snow naked to get here to post. lol

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
oscarhilton
post Nov 22 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Don't do that.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,683

My main idea of joining these wonderful forums was to share my creations - mainly why I did not do an 'introduction to the forums' thread. I then, after getting so many kind comments and suggestions, joined the forums for real.
I remember me and I_am_the_best, a real-life-every-day-friend, who actually introduced me to the forums, make the official W6 thread... which we found to be not so successful... lol

My first topic (apart from my creations) was a game, 'finish my sentence' which is still going now.

Here I am 2k posts (+) on.

--------------------
Oscar.

who was e-kighted by Jimijimi, Sir Oscar. ...

My Webpage

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 22 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #3

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I joined the forums 2 and a half years ago because oxym0ronical got me back in touch with Lo after a year of not seeing each other online (I've known oxy online since I was about 16 and Lo since I was 19 I think). Lo brought me into a Yahoo chat full of forumites, and told me to join the forums.

I joined because I wanted to keep in contact with Lo, and we're both total crap at writing e-mails. I had never even watched a single animation. I seriously thought they were just animations on some channel that I didn't get in my area. laugh.gif It was two weeks before I actually viewed any of them.

Anyway, when I joined the forums I hadn't broken a habit I learned on Excite's VP chat as a teenager: talking like this with no capitalization...lots of ellipses...and lots of lol's. pretty much everyone talked like this on that chat, so i guess it was just contagious.

Blegh. I still use lots of ellipses though...just not to the extent I once did.

So, I posted a lot of crap responses. There were two sections to the forum, I think. General Chat and About the Animations. Might have also been a Help forum for technical problems with the boards...I can't remember.

I was never adopted or anything like that, but it took several months for me to really find my niche here, I think. I sometimes wonder if it would have taken longer if I didn't know Lo beforehand, to be honest. That sort of helped to introduce me to everyone, at least in the chat. I only really started to post in the way I do today when the different sections of the forum were made due to quarrels over excessive spamming in the General Chat area.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Nov 22 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #4

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

A friend of mine from my math group joined the forums with me in October during a particularly boring math/IT lesson. I'd shown her the animations which I'd been a fan of for quite a while and she pointed out there was a forum. Being young and immature (still are, but that's beside the point) we thought it would be fun just to wreak havoc because we assumed it would be yet another overpopulated forum full of uninteresting people. I'm so sorry, I didn't realise what a wonderful. fun place this was. So in short, when I was a noob I was an idiot.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 22 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #5

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Hmm...when I was a noob I was in my very first year of university (now in my 4th). I joined the forums under the screen name of Buggey. I didn't have my own internet connection then because I was in halls and so I sorta disappeared. It wasn't until I got home for easter or summer where I plugged myself into a phone line and started making more regular posts under new name of Sir_Psycho_Sexy. I was then a regular visiter to the irc channel and have memories of sitting on the end of my bed still wrapped in my duvet chatting away to peoples. My favourite channel will always be #elitistf*cks, but that didn't come 'til later. I remember InKy and Leo calling each other ladyparts and generally acting like a married couple. Oh, I remember being gerbilfromhell's noob for a day or two, but didn't like how he had it written in HYOOGE green letters, so I asked *cough* him to unadopt me. Umm....that's it really...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Nov 22 2005, 11:58 PM
Post #6

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

Hehe happy.gif I still feel like a noob sometimes. Erm, when did I join? I dont remember biggrin.gif I remember I joined to post in some topic that I was really really intrested in and once I posted I left for a loonng long time. Then for some reason I made the shavingcream thread, asking if anyone has ever eaten shaving cream, which got more replies than I really thought it would.... I suppose I started posting alot around here and eventually about a year later I created my noob thread which I kind of abandoned after a few posts tongue.gif

Shavingcream really doesnt taste bad though
/spam

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Nov 23 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #7

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

When I was a n00b, no one liked me because I was a jerk, assuming that this was a standard overpopulated forum where my actions would go unnoticed. I was wrong.

My account stayed in what I am led to believe was a constant state of mods debating over whether or not to ban me and I got warned a good few times.

I made friends and stayed and even brought more. I'm pretty much responsible for trunksgirl, pgrmdave, beccareb, and trace. Artist.Unknown made me join because she had an AIM away message requesting criticism on a piece which she posted here. I had to make an account to comment and the rest is history.

Um... apart from that I remember the days of no Personal Concern board and no Tips and Tricks board. That meant daily life was the angst board. I also remember mutilation. Isn't his one year almost up?

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Nov 23 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

I had put off joining for a long time and finally did in the summer of 2k3, at the hight of my obsession with the word "Righteous." I recall when I joined there was only one forum and we had the Official Spam Thread. I also recall no one being able to spell my name, which is why I asked that people call me Ri. Those were some goofy days.

EDIT: Yeah, I've had my share of warnings and mod-slaps. I chalk that up to my ever-bettering "mo-fackey" temperment. I, too, remember Mutilation as well as other billigerant members like PsychWardMike. I think I've been here for most if not all the bannings that have gone down. Jeez. It's been forever.

Looking back, I was a little bitch when I joined, wasn't I?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 23 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Oh yeah, forgot about mutilation...what about logicman and nummynums though? ph34r.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Nov 23 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #10

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

I still think I'm a noob. I somehow managed to avoid the duct-tape hazing and I still possess my eyebrows.

I remember being a bit intimidated at first because EVERYONE seemed like friends. This is the first forum I have been on where there is a tangiable sense of family. I may not be part of it but it's still a classy feeling.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Nov 23 2005, 04:14 PM
Post #11

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I joined... well look at my join date. tongue.gif When I was a noob, I posted waaaay too much. I'm sure a good amount of it was spam. If it wasn't, it was stupid threads about things like my hairdryer dying. I know for a fact I was pretty annoying at times. I got closer to a lot of people by joining the IRC channel, and after I really knew some people here, I felt like I belonged... now I was one of the older people who could sit back and discuss all the noobs. tongue.gif

Oh, I remember trying to adopt as many noobs as possible... haha. And I have old PMs of me randomly PMing people that make me cringe when I reread them. >_<

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Nov 23 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

When I was a noob, I had a lot of time on my hands. I was nosy, opinionated, and a terrible writer. Yeah, I know, not much changed. tongue.gif It was around 2003 (2004?), and I had just really started using the internet for purposes beyond games. But, of course, games were the reason that got me to this website, because the "nine-mouthed baby" led me to visiting this website, and eventually the forums. (See what I mean by terrible writer? blink.gif ) Anyways, I was here for a while.

Toodles.

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Nov 23 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #13

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I actually still think of myself as a noob, because there are loads of people who have been here way longer than me.

But yeah, when I first joined, it was the first time I'd really used a forum with this format and it took me a while to get to grips with the BBCode and stuff.

I typed, as I still do, in long sentances and short paragrphs, which also the way in which I write. I also sometimes use archaic language and strange turns of phrase.

I originally came here because I was talking about the animations to someone on another message board and they told me to go on the forums. I'd been watching the animations for a few months before that though.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
MrRandomQuotes
post Nov 23 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #14

Fear me randomness

Member No.: 2,047

When does someone progress from noobdom into the bliss of eternal knowledge? I think of myself as one of the enlightened even though i dont even have 200 posts yet. Although admitedly i was around somepoint last year as AlienMoe. I still cary the trauma of my Duct taping and the scariness of my first few days. Ahh but the games were my savior, 50 posts in my first day ^.^

--------------------
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We're afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

Remember, be yourself. Unless you suck.

Imitation is the highest form of praise.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Nov 23 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #15

Could someone tell me exactly what the hell logicman was? I've seen banned people like nummynums, but they still have an avatar and information. Logicman is... nothing.

And for the record, mutilation was given a one year suspension.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Nov 23 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #16

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

When I was a noob, I spammed Daft left, right and centre. Then I spammed Daily Life.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 23 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #17

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 23 2005, 12:19 PM)
Could someone tell me exactly what the hell logicman was?  I've seen banned people like nummynums, but they still have an avatar and information.  Logicman is... nothing.

And for the record, mutilation was given a one year suspension.

He really liked to antagonize people. Think an extremely fundamentalist Christian version of your noob self on crack. LOTS of crack...and a narrow mind.

A LOT of us rose to it...and it just ended unhappily. If you want more info than that, I'll PM you and give you the whole story....but that is the brief version. I think that's the most I can say without using words that aren't family friendly....

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
arachnidoc17
post Nov 23 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #18

Entomophobic

Member No.: 1,231

Sounds like someone I know on another forum. General Logic.

His Church has a Bible Gun Camp, for God's sake!

--------------------
Myriad Reborn.

Have booze, will travel.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Nov 24 2005, 02:02 AM
Post #19

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Nov 23 2005, 11:13 AM)
I still think I'm a noob. I somehow managed to avoid the duct-tape hazing and I still possess my eyebrows.

I remember being a bit intimidated at first because EVERYONE seemed like friends. This is the first forum I have been on where there is a tangiable sense of family. I may not be part of it but it's still a classy feeling.

I definatley see myself as a noob sometimes tongue.gif And then I discovered the 'who do you respect?' thread and felt really good to see my name there a couple times and felt very un-noob-ish and very loved happy.gif
I was very intimidated when I first came here, I felt like everyone knew everything about everyone and knew about every thread that ever existed and that I just wouldnt belong =( But people replied to my silly topics and welcomed me into theirs and yay!
Also, this is my first and probably last forum ever, and I am very proud of it

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Nov 23 2005, 01:10 PM)
I actually still think of myself as a noob, because there are loads of people who have been here way longer than me.

We should have a support group, all us non-noob people who feel like noobs....

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Nov 24 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #20

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

I've been here a fair amount of time now I dont feel like a noob but I also dont feel like one of the old timers tongue.gif because there's still things that some people talk about from before I joined like when it was General chat (?).
I joined one sunny day back in 03 after my brother showed me and Farieryn the animations (we were in s flat shre back then) and because I was working wierd shifts at the time I was sat at home very bored one afternoon and though what the hell and joined. This is the first forum I joined and is also the one I'm most active in. The first thread I created after my noob thread was 'Does anyone want my job?'. I started to feel as if I really fitted in after I went to my first meet and was ordered to join IRC which I didn't manage to do for a while after that first meet. I now have some great friends due to this forum.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Nov 25 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #21

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I still think I'm a bit of a noob, though my profile suddenly says "Established Members." Why did that change from whatever it was yesterday (member, mod, admin, banned, and whatnot,) and what number transfers you from new to established?
Anyway, I still remember my confusion over CommieBastard's gender is some thread a month or two ago. It was a bit blush-worthy with every single person in the thread knowing but me, but it was funny after a few minutes. laugh.gif "Bastard" can be a gender-neutral insult, curse it! I've been mod-poked a few times but never actually slapped, I do believe. I joined because I suddenly noticed the forum tab after seeing a Samurai Lapin animation for about the twentieth time. I never had an introduction or a duct-taping, but my entrance was fun anyway. This forum now consumes most of the time when I'm supposed to be doing homework, replacing pointless animations from everywhere but here.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Nov 25 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #22

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Back in the day, I just basically spammed Daft and Games alongside DHG. Reading back on my posts now, I cringe. Then DHG got banned, and I was left on my own. So, I stopped posting so much for a bit then stopped posting in Games altogether.

Finally, I got banned for being an insufferable twat, which I still am to this day.

It's all good.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Nov 25 2005, 01:09 AM
Post #23

Wait... Dancing Hamster Guy is banned?

Damn, I need to keep up with the goings on.

And Cand, I'd be happy for that PM. Or an AIM/MSN chat, though Lo has gotten to me.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Nov 25 2005, 01:40 AM
Post #24

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Nov 25 2005, 02:09 AM)
Wait... Dancing Hamster Guy is banned?

Damn, I need to keep up with the goings on.

Oh yeah, I believe he got banned roughly around spring this year for having a go at Mata and a spat involiving Feyliya, if I recall correctly.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 25 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #25

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

I've got logs in the moderator's forums about why people were banned, but I don't consciously remember. When a person gets banned from here it's usually for starting arguments consistently. Occasionally people annoy others so much that I give out a permanent ban. Usually there are a fair number of verbal 'stop that's, followed by an official warning or two, and finally I get too bored to continue having hope that they might learn to have respectful conversations and ban them. Banning eventually usually boils down to me becoming immensely bored of a person's tantrums!

It's very interesting reading through this thread for me. Obviously I've been here since the beginning, and I know you all in various ways (and given a few of you warnings). I'm really proud of what this place has become, but in some ways I'm most happy about the people who were constantly in trouble when they got here but learned how to get along with others without sacrificing anything of themselves. And yes Mike, you were often surviving by the skin of your teeth!

It's interesting that some of you say you still feel like new members, maybe that's some of the appeal that keeps the conversations fresh? Things are always more interesting when you feel that you only partially know those around you. Even the new-feeling people I feel I know well. I've made a lot of friends on here. The forums eat my time (I hate to think how many hours I've spent on here when I could have been working on my thesis) but they are definitely worth it.

For the 'established members' group question see this thread:
http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=13731

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 12:47 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!