Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Define love!, Put on your rose tinted glasses
Witless
post Nov 25 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #1

happy.. sad.. happy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,536

Ok.. I'm feeling mildly soppy.. meaning I'll probably regret making this post and showing my occasional soppyness.

Consider this a game of defining the undefinable. I don't know if you can define it, but just to reply with "It's not something you can define" would be boring, and I may be forced to make a " tongue.gif " face at you. I don't like being mean, so don't do it! *ahems..*

So yeah.. go ahead, try and define love in any way you can, a poem, a statement, a definition, whatever.

If you're feeling sick just reading this post then.. sorry! But really.. it's christmas soon! Don't be all bah humbug... dry.gif .

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Nov 25 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #2

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

When you'd put someone elses life before yours.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Nov 25 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #3

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

An intense feeling of deep affection for another.

A nice, sterile Psychological answer for you there.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Nov 26 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #4

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

When the life you share is more important to you than your successes alone.
When you would be willing to die rather than live without the one you love.
The deep feeling of warmth you get every time you see your partner, even when you've been together for years.

I may come back and try to do familial love later when I've thought it over.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Nov 26 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #5

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Love is one of those few transcendent things that require no definition. Love simply is, and that's all that needs to be said.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Nov 26 2005, 03:47 AM
Post #6

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Not needing someone, but choosing to be there because you want to be around them.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Nov 26 2005, 04:21 AM
Post #7

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

When you get stupid about someone and don't see their flaws, or at least see them and think they're cute. Once you move past that and find out that their flaws are annoying, you decide that they're worth dealing with anyway.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Pab
post Nov 26 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #8

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Group: Validating
Member No.: 451

When you feel you're half of something, instead of feeling like you're complete on your own.

--------------------
Smileys don't mean not destuctive and not vicious

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Nov 26 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #9

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

>_>

vvv *points to signature* vvv

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post Nov 26 2005, 02:06 PM
Post #10

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

I seem to recall seeing a fridge magnet once suggesting that it was remembering to leave the toilet seat down.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Nov 26 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #11

My direction

Member No.: 495

Caring for someone more than you care about yourself.
Feeling ridiculously tender towards them for no reason at random times.
Trusting them, and being able to have fun with them, being able to laugh with them.
Missing them all the time when they're not around, even when you're out with other people, and feeling like you could stand to be around them all the time without getting pissed off all the time.

There's like loads more. It's butterflies in the stomach and grinning when your phone lights up and you know it's from them. It's indescribable.

</hopelessromantic>

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 26 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #12

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

When I get tingles down my spine and butterflies in my belly when I am waitinting for that person to open their front door.

When I know my life would never be the same if they died.

When I can be so open and vunerable to a person knowing they will never judge me, just want to understand me more.

When I hug a person and I hear a kind of white noise, because everything else is irrelevant, and only that person in my arms and the feelings we have for eachother are in my mind.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 27 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #13

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

It's rarely so dramatic as giving your life for someone. More often it's quiet and seems ordinary to everyone except those who are experiencing it.

There are so many different forms of love that I don't pretend to know them all, much less define all of them in a concise statement.

For me...it's something like Pat's signature: we're both weird, and our weirdness is compatible. We're probably even weirder together than apart, and that's okay because it makes us laugh.

My life isn't dramatic or glamorous, but most days I feel like I'm the luckiest person alive and no one even knows it. I hope that's one commonality between all forms of love. Everyone should feel that way at least once in their lives.

(I take no responsibility for how embarrassingly soppy I am in this post. I'm under the influence of cold meds. Everyone is bound to be more mushy then, right? unsure.gif )

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Witless
post Nov 27 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #14

happy.. sad.. happy

Reason I started this topic is because my emotional vocabulary is pretty much pathetic.. it's like awful... but here's my turn at this game I've invented.

When they can do something you normally find annoying, but it seems nice when they do it.

When they they smile it draws out your own, and when they're upset you are too.

When you buzz over rediculously silly things like leaning against each other on a train seat.

When you find yourself doing things you wanted to hurl when you saw other soppy couples do and love it!

When you'd treasure a hand made gift from them, over a gold bar from a stranger.

If I could only choose one statement that i had to come up with myself: "Love is when you're content with someone"

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Nov 27 2005, 12:26 AM
Post #15

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I'm content with my math teacher, but she's a small, angry Korean woman who happens to be very good at teaching math (being why I am content with her)--please tell me we are not in love.

I also have no real business being in this topic, because I don't quite know what love is. BUT

Waikiki (^)says that love is light. If it's right. If it's right. If it's right. I think I'll steal their definition

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Nov 27 2005, 12:59 AM
Post #16

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

Love? I call him Kai and he enriches my life in a million different ways every single day. smile.gif

There's no better, purer love then what you get from your own child - especially when they're younger, before life has a chance to jade them at all. In his eyes, I can do no wrong, EVERYTHING I do is hilarious and when you get a smile or a laugh, well, it's straight from the heart. No pretences.

Outside of him - I would define love as being absolutely prepared to put that certain someone before yourself no matter what. Knowing that you're a better person for being with them and endeavouring to continue to make yourself a better person in order to keep yourself in their esteem.

Ahhh, beer and stupid 'o clock postings. Life doesn't get much better than this. wink.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Nov 27 2005, 01:08 AM
Post #17

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

Me and my (now ex) boyfriend talked about this a few times. What is love? I'd throw an idea at him and he'd criticise it for whatever reason. I said alot of things people above had said, and alot of it came around to "that could be being naieve or ignorant' which is very true. Alot of times when we're in 'love' the person isn't necissarially "good" for us, but it may seem like its the best thing in the world at the time.

For me, I'd describe it as some sort of emotional attatchment, weather due to being needy of attention or needy of something material they give me. I'd also say its something like always wanting to work out problems with the person. I know people put up with alot of s*** from their significant others, or even parents, and they're still willing to be with the person and learn a new way of living with eachother.

Ah, dont you love how this topic brings the sappyness out of everyone....

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Witless
post Nov 27 2005, 01:15 AM
Post #18

happy.. sad.. happy

*Roar* I bring soppyness to the forums.. fear me! Fore I am Soppzilla...

/spam

--------------------

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Nov 27 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #19

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

A warmth that wraps you up and feels like it could sustain you forever. A horrid longing when you are apart, but the slightest memory can give you incredible joy. Being unable to concentrate on anything for long without thoughts drifting to them, but embracing it like an exciting new wonder each and every time.

Unfortunately I'm not very good with flowery words. I just know that if you share it with someone then you are the luckiest person to ever live. And once its broken it's like a suffocating weight that crushes your chest, and you feel nothing could bring joy again.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Nov 27 2005, 02:52 AM
Post #20

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

And once its broken it's like a suffocating weight that crushes your chest, and you feel nothing could bring joy again.

It's one of those things - so very hard to define and yet so very, very easy to abuse and lose in an instant. *shrug*

/spam I was suppose to go to bed two hours ago. This is why. ^ rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Nov 27 2005, 05:29 AM
Post #21

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Nov 27 2005, 03:52 AM)
And once its broken it's like a suffocating weight that crushes your chest, and you feel nothing could bring joy again.

It's one of those things - so very hard to define and yet so very, very easy to abuse and lose in an instant. *shrug*

Yeah, tell me about it... you live and learn I guess. *shrug*

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Nov 27 2005, 10:42 AM
Post #22

My direction

Member No.: 495

Alot of times when we're in 'love' the person isn't necissarially "good" for us, but it may seem like its the best thing in the world at the time.

I would argue that's still love. I don't believe anyone here has actually said love has to be good for you. I've cared extremely deeply for people who have been no good for me at all, but the feelings were still there. Just because they didn't care about me doesn't mean I didn't care for them.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Nov 27 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #23

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Nov 27 2005, 06:42 AM)
Alot of times when we're in 'love' the person isn't necissarially "good" for us, but it may seem like its the best thing in the world at the time.

I would argue that's still love. I don't believe anyone here has actually said love has to be good for you. I've cared extremely deeply for people who have been no good for me at all, but the feelings were still there. Just because they didn't care about me doesn't mean I didn't care for them.

I didnt say it wasnt love though happy.gif I guess maybe the quotations around it kind of implied it, I think I was referring to some people in lust. I know alot of times someone isnt good for me and I care about them very deeply, one of the sad things about love. =(

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Nov 30 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #24

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

I was watching a movie last night that stated, "Love is an incurable sickness" and I think that about sums it up.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 30 2005, 12:00 PM
Post #25

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Witless, were you asking for us to define romantic love, or all and any kinds of love?

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 09:31 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!