IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> For all those Duck Taping, How about some organisation?
MrRandomQuotes
post Dec 3 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #1

Fear me randomness

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 2,047

Ok, so it seems duck taping small noobs to the ceiling is back in fashion. However whilst its great fun i think we need to sort out exactly who is doing the duct taping, else all hell breaks loose and we're stuck together in the duck tape forever.

So the way out of this I envision is for all those interested in trapping noobs (far more fun than adopting them, which seems to have died out somewhat) to shout out in here. And in the meanwhile we can get some rules together.

And here's the first one:
Duct tape only works until the newbie has 5 posts, after that they're just too heavy.
Exception - Unless you have the extra strong stuff, that works for up to 20 posts and i'm happy to give it to a special few some for emergencies. biggrin.gif

--------------------
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We're afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

Remember, be yourself. Unless you suck.

Imitation is the highest form of praise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Travis
post Dec 3 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Worrying

Member No.: 2,131

Before we take this any further, I think we should ask the man in charge. Well, what do you think Chuck?

"I just stepped in a squishy poo. The sun is bright. One time I kicked 5 guys at the same time. My favorite type of cow is pretty cow. OOOoooo a shiny thing."

Well, there's your answer. And remember, if there's ever anything I can do for you, forget it. I don't do those kinds of things.

--------------------
What do you mean you don't know me? I'm in IRC all the time.
QUOTE(The Lorax @ Jan 12 2006, 11:51 PM)
QUOTE(The Travis @ Dec 29 2005, 05:52 PM)
HAY GUYS WUTS GOIN ON IN TEH INTRANET!!!???!?!??!??!?!?!???!??[right][snapback]327211[/snapback][/right]
I. Love. You.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Dec 3 2005, 07:08 PM
Post #3

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

What do you think your doing! moop is the original duct taper round here so they are his rule to lay down if he wants to and trust me 5 posts is NO WHERE near enough posts to pull you down. Your stuck there at least till your not any form of Guppy or noob you have to have graduated to member satus and if you wish to argue with this take into consideration I was the worse fate to follow moops taping so I really do know what I'm talking about! tongue.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Dec 3 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Yes, I agree. This is a very pressing matter.

Guys, any thoughts?

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Dec 3 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #5

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

The duct taping was invented to cause chaos and mass confusion, as is my way.

It's never had rules and never should have rules. You're up there until you learn that nothing you can do will make it break any quicker so just go with the flow and let Cath grenade you. >:)

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Dec 4 2005, 01:37 AM
Post #6

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Duct taping was once organized and is now a form of beautiful chaos. Do be quiet and let people duct tape as they will. Not to be rude, but you don't need to try to organize such an old and silly custom when you're still fairly new. Chill, tape people if you want, and stop trying to act like you own the tape. Everyone has some, and no one needs to ask you. As Cath said, you didn't make it up. There are no rules to duct-taping unless moop decides to make up some. Until that nonexistent day, people will duct tape newbies as much as they want to.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Dec 4 2005, 01:46 AM
Post #7

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

It's Duct tape. Duct.

I've yet to see tape made of duck, and when I do I doubt it'll be very effective.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Dec 4 2005, 01:56 AM
Post #8

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I think that Duck tape is a brand name of duct tape, but it's still worth a chuckle. I keep imagining tape with lots of tiny ducks attached, all quacking as they held people onto the ceiling. laugh.gif

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Dec 4 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #9

There is a brand called Duck, but still... the term is duct.

And yes, the quacking is but one reason Duck Tape is a silly idea.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Dec 4 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Actually, Mike, it was originally called duck tape when it was invented. Not duct. It was made during WWII to keep water out of the US army's ammunition cases, and called "duck" because it was waterproof. It was only after the war that people started using it for working on heating ducts, and the color was changed from army green to silver. Then they started calling it "duct" tape.

Either term is appropriate, actually. tongue.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Dec 4 2005, 02:36 AM
Post #11

Quack.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Dec 4 2005, 02:40 AM
Post #12

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Hehe...whether it sounds silly or not, you were still wrong. tongue.gif (personally I prefer to call it duct tape too, though)

Anyway, how did this whole group duct taping thing start? I remember when moop used to do it to all the noobs, then he stopped cause he couldn't be arsed to go into Intros anymore.

...and to think people used to shout at Lo for "scaring noobs off." blink.gif She was nothing compared to you people.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
ravein
post Dec 4 2005, 02:47 AM
Post #13

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Member No.: 40

QUOTE (candice @ Dec 3 2005, 10:33 PM)
Actually, Mike, it was originally called duck tape when it was invented.  Not duct.  It was made during WWII to keep water out of the US army's ammunition cases, and called "duck" because it was waterproof.  It was only after the war that people started using it for working on heating ducts, and the color was changed from army green to silver.  Then they started calling it "duct" tape.

Either term is appropriate, actually.  tongue.gif

Holy crap.. I had no idea.

I say let the tapping continue.. let the little boogers figure out how to get themselves down on their own.

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Dec 4 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #14

*Duct tapes Mr. Random Quotes to ceiling*

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
JimiJimi
post Dec 4 2005, 11:39 AM
Post #15

I'm afraid I'm back.

Member No.: 1,308

I've always called it gaffa tape. Useful for taping down cables. Ever seen the industrial strength variety? You need to cut that stuff with scissors man, scissors!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Dec 4 2005, 11:41 AM
Post #16

Hmm, so it may have been duck originally, but now duck is the name of a brand of duct tape too.

They sell tiny rolls, you could barely tape a single person with one, and they're horrendously over priced. You can get 10 times the amount for the same price, and probably higher quality.

I refuse to recognise their existance by calling it duck tape (and it sounds silly!)!

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 4 2005, 12:07 PM
Post #17

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

QUOTE (cand)
he stopped cause he couldn't be arsed to go into Intros anymore.

Yay, cand wrote arsed. *does yaycandsaidarsed dance*

I always thought gaffer tape was the black tape, I think it's not as thick/strong as duct tape. -and it's used because it's black and less noticable on stage.

I quite like the fact that strong tapes need to be cut with scissors because hostages rarley have a pair hidden about themselves. wink.gif

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Dec 4 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #18

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Froggy's right - gaffer tape is black, and quite different from duct tape. It's used not only 'cause it's black, but because it leaves no residue when you peel it off (as opposed to duct tape, which is horrible with that...) One uses the duct tape after running out of the gaffer tape, which is really expensive.

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Dec 4 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #19

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

Though now you can get duct tape in black along with the rest of the colors of the rainbow....

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 4 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #20

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Now if you want variety in colours, try electrical tape wink.gif Oh baby!

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 4 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #21

omno-ahhhhhhh!

/me shakes fist at IE 5

Oh my days! Cath found a gaffer tape site, and I found a duct tape site and there are so, so many colours and pattersn, customisable, neon, UV, glow in the dark. Electrical tape isn't so exciting any more. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 4 2005, 10:06 PM
Post #22

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

So what's the difference then between gaffa tape and PVC tape?

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Dec 5 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #23

PVC tape is electrical tape, it's plastic, not as wide or as sticky but it's an insulator, hence electrical tape.

Duct tape/Gaffer tape is wider and cloth based. Also stupidly strong and sticky.

--------------------

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 5 2005, 03:36 AM
Post #24

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Or do you mean bondage tape? -which is a self contact adhesive, meaning it'll only stick to it's self without any residue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 5 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #25

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I can't believe you all forgot Agritape! It is waaayyyy more heavy duty that Gaffa/ Duck tape. And it can be a very cool shiney silver.

Yay.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 05:14 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!