Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How was Christmas? Good presents?
Mata
post Dec 28 2005, 12:33 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I had a lovely Christmas, staying for a few days with Matthew (on here) and his girlfriend. We drank, we ate lots, we played quite a lot of 'Buzz' (a music quiz game on the Playstation2), and I won at Star Wars Monopoly biggrin.gif

I had lots of great presents, including many films that I've been wanting to watch for ages such as Old Boy (a Japanese thriller), and Ong Bak (a Thai martial arts film, which continues my belief that Thailand is the next big frontier of film making). It's hard to pick favourites, but off the top of my head I'd probably say that '1602' by Neil Gaiman is one of them because it was a nice surprise (it's basically 'what would happen if superheroes were born in 1602 instead of now?') and there's a bizarre book from Matt and his lady that is a strange alternative evolution story (it's downstairs at the moment and I can't remember the full title).

Also, I finished the first full draft of my thesis on Christmas eve. It needs lots of editing yet, but I was determined to get it written by Christmas as a present to myself. I'm getting really excited about finishing it now!

Did you have a good time? Did you get anything nice?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Dec 28 2005, 12:46 AM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 844

QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 28 2005, 12:33 AM)
and Ong Bak

Knives for sale!

I had a pretty cool Christmas, we couldn't afford to have all the family over so it was just me, ma and da. We got on great for a change, had a dinner with a few drinks, opened a couple of presents and then finished off with the Eastenders special.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Dec 28 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

My little part of the family celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve. I was kind of bored most the day, me and my mum went out for a bit, had some coffee together. But by the time we had to start making dinner she wasnt being so nice and I (being the only one brave enough to hang around and help) ended up getting yelled at for alot of silly stuff. Though eventually all that was over and we sat down and ate dinner while watching A Christmas Story. It was rather nice, acctually, though I wasnt in the best of moods by that time (though I tried to be).

I was really suprised about most the things I got. My brother got me a really nice tea box, complete with 9 different kinds of tea in it. My dad got me a set of cards from the art museum, instead of having picture representations of the suit and number, it has some different peices of impressionist art on it, which I've really been wanting for a while. My dad also got me a Nintendo DS (mariokart version, its red!) which I didnt think I'd be too enthused about, but I really do like it. He bought me Nintendogs to go with it and its a nice thing to play around with when I'm bored. I have little puppy!! My mom got me some hot chocolate mix (which tastes alright, for hot chocolate mix) and a pair of green velvet-ish pants that fit me really well!

I'm honestly really impressed this year, maybe I'm just more greatful for things.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
EvilSpork
post Dec 28 2005, 12:57 AM
Post #4

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang

Member No.: 829

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Dec 27 2005, 07:46 PM)
and Ong Bak

Knives for sale!

Money can't buy knives! blink.gif

I had a pretty bad Christmas eve and Christmas. Starting Christmas eve my dog is sick again and my aunt was hospitalized for an undetermined ammount of time. As of now, my dog is still sick and my aunt is still in the hospital.

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Dec 28 2005, 04:36 AM
Post #5

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

Not bad. Sat around with the mum and dad. First christmas without my grandparents around... meh.

Ate turkey and drunk far too much white wine. Must have gotten drunk. We sat around babbling for ages about current affairs. And pulled christmas crackers. I won a paperclip. Hmmm...

I got some classy books. THUD! By Terry Pratchett. Excellent read, finished it in a few hours though.
Persian Fire. A story about a first world super-power and their wars against two barbarian mountainous 'rogue-states'. That's right, Persia versus Athens and Sparta. My parents know me so well.

Oh yes, lots of chocolate (TOO MUCH!) and the obligatory satsuma.

Didn't do anything particularly exciting... I'll save that for New Years Eve. I should be going to Cheltenham for a murder mystery weekend. I wonder if I'll get to be the corpse?

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
exceptional1709
post Dec 28 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #6

Incapable of normal thought

Member No.: 1,344

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Dec 28 2005, 04:36 AM)
the obligatory satsuma

I didn't get a satsuma!! What's wrong with my family? ohmy.gif

--------------------
Official Beanbag-monger for TRIBE WYVERN (Visit us here!)
VOTE MR SB FOR FAVOURITE ANIMATION! (Go here to vote!)
--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--OBEY--
Proud owner of a Violet Scuttler from the Tribe Wyvern lab. Not for rental or resale.
Mata loves us, this we know. Because the forums tell us so. All our souls to him belong. We are weak but he is strong
Always read the small print. You never know what it might say. You're leaving your brain open to subliminal messages. Being paranoid is good.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Dec 28 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #7

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I lost all my cracker pulls, we even got out some spares for me to try and I still lost. I was offered a mini screw set but only because that fell into the gravy.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Dec 28 2005, 10:37 AM
Post #8

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Pretty good really, saw family before and after but Christmas Day was just me, my parents and my sister.

As for presents, I got DVDs, This is Spinal Tap, Cosmic Jam and Bewilderness by Bill Bailey and Lenny Henry Live.

I also got Books, The Complete Works of Ronnie Barker, The Unseen University Challenge, Little Britain Series Two and Return of the Timewaster Letters
by Robin Cooper.

I got a load of chocolate and also some shower gel/deoderanty stuff.

I got some classy books. THUD! By Terry Pratchett. Excellent read, finished it in a few hours though.

Excellent book that, I got the THUD! board game.

QUOTE (exceptional1709 @ Dec 28 2005, 08:43 AM)
the obligatory satsuma

I didn't get a satsuma!! What's wrong with my family? ohmy.gif

I didn't get one either! I'm gonna complain.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Dec 28 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #9

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

I had lots of great presents, including many films that I've been wanting to watch for ages such as Old Boy (a Japanese thriller)

Nitpick, but Old Boy is Korean (and a really great film biggrin.gif), by Park Chan-Wook.

It's hard to pick favourites, but off the top of my head I'd probably say that '1602' by Neil Gaiman is one of them because it was a nice surprise (it's basically 'what would happen if superheroes were born in 1602 instead of now?')

Ah, I really like that one.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 28 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #10

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

It could've been worse. My Aunt fed me christmas eve / included me at her house. I helped her decorate. My little Brother fed me at his place on christmas day.

It could've been better. My father told me to move out quickly on boxing day as I don't get along with my new stepmother. Dad hasn't been home this Christmas nor do I expect to see him until after New Years.

No satsumas or christmas crackers here either. smile.gif I received a couple boxes of chocolates which I regifted, a lovely tree ornament that I also regifted, some books and a nice pair of fuzzy mocasin style slippers. Work and my godparents both gave me highly useful gift cards. Overall a fairly good haul.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Dec 28 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #11

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I had a pretty swell Christmas--my brother got me some book money and a Jefferson Starship CD, the younger got me a Phish CD (they really do think I'm just a big hippie), and the everpresent sweater-giving aunt gave me a nice warm sweater. My parents got me a pair of good books (Maureen Dowd's latest, which is prickly and funny, and The Elements of Style, which I might regift to our school's inept newspaper editor) and a laptop, which I've been lusting after and saving up for about two years.

I was drafted to sing on Christmas Eve at my church, and I did, and it turned out really nicely (though sort of a "hey, wait, I started singing, didn't I?" moment.) Following, we sent the younger to bed and stayed up wrapped surreptitious presents in corners, then reconvening to make fun of our priest over eggnog and decaf coffee.

It's sort of depressing that all the good cheer doesn't linger--my sweater-giving aunt usually winds up saying nasty things to my mother and my mother tends to get jumpy and snippy. But the former headed home yesterday, so we're drifting towards a more comfortable equilibrium.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Dec 28 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #12

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

I bought myself a new compie. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Dec 28 2005, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I had a nice Christmas and got a fair amount of interesting stuff.
I got Phantom of the Opera (and its soundtrack,) a watch, Batman Begins, and the first two seasons of Sliders (which I think was my dad's present to himself, really, but I got him the first season of Alias with similar motives.)
As for books, I got Sandman volumes 3-5, a nice edition of Sabriel that matches the other volumes, Going Postal, Trickster's Queen, Phoenix and Ashes, Carol Vorderman's newest sudoku book, Talk to the Hand (Lynne Truss's book about rudeness,) and Eldest in all its hardback glory.
Excellent Christmas.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.

+Quote Post
markslut
post Dec 28 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #14

Probably sees visions

Member No.: 909

A Kimono, Bill Bailey's new DVD, chocolate, Lush smellies!, a fluffy scarf, Thud!, the World acording to Clarkson and a leather jacket biggrin.gif

--------------------
The combined Nurse and Geisha of ISH!
IPB Image
Your Corset is Your Armour - Lace it Tightly - Breathing is Unimportant

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 28 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #15

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

This is Eric biggrin.gif I got him, Jim Morrison's biography, The Art Of Happiness, a beautiful black velvet skirt, a Family Guy DVD, Midnite Vultures (Beck), Its a shame about Ray (The Lemon Heads), and lots of other lovely bits and pieces! And Father Christmas got me a satsuma and a 6 pack of Becks biggrin.gif

Christmas day was lovely- we had our usual Christmas breakfast (this year it was with bagels and cranberry curd (both made by my mum that morning)) at about 1pm biggrin.gif The usual Christmas day- everyone emmersed in their gifts, chatting, drinking wine and tea. I felt a little odd this year though- quite unsociable and introverted. I spent most of the afternoon reading and listening to music.
Boxing day was good- my Granma came over for a late breakfast, then we all made our way over to my step-dad's parents for lunch with that side of the family.
All in all it was a very lovely time, in which I got to spend some good moments with my older brother and sister, and even my little brother was being nice!

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Dec 28 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #16

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses, so I didn't get any presents off them. However, I did get a rather spiffing Bagpuss hot water bottle cover and Gillette Mach 3 razor off my friends. So, not too bad.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Dec 29 2005, 12:09 AM
Post #17

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (little_bear @ Dec 29 2005, 12:40 AM)
My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses, so I didn't get any presents off them. However, I did get a rather spiffing Bagpuss hot water bottle cover and Gillette Mach 3 razor off my friends.  So, not too bad.

And when Little_Bear goes to bed, so do all of his friends. The mice on the mouse organ, Madaleine the rag doll...
/spam

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 29 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #18

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Dec 28 2005, 12:55 PM)
Nitpick, but Old Boy is Korean (and a really great film biggrin.gif), by Park Chan-Wook.

I wasn't sure when I typed it, but I thought 'I'm sure Commie will pick me up on that one if I'm wrong' biggrin.gif

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Dec 28 2005, 03:20 PM)
I might regift

I've never heard of the verb to 'regift', but I like it.

QUOTE (Astarael @ Dec 28 2005, 08:18 PM)
I got him the first season of Alias

I love Alias. I got Sues the third season for her birthday so we can both watch it again.

QUOTE (Daria @ Dec 29 2005, 12:09 AM)
I did get a rather spiffing Bagpuss

I used to date a girl who knew the actual 'Emily' from the Bagpuss stories. /random trivia

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Dec 29 2005, 03:27 AM
Post #19

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I got a digital camera, tiny small one and seeing how I lost my last one I'm not sure that's such a good idea. I also got a watch that tells me the time IN WORDS! (this is of massive entertainment value to me.) Umm...quite a lot of toilettries this year, not sure why, possibly for a lack of anything else. Some HMV vouchers, my sister got me a book with all the rude place names in England and one in Northern Ireland (Muff), some chocolate, pyjamas, a few clothes and a little money. Not really a christmas present, but my Mum bought me some Tigger pyjamas in the sales and I was quite chuffed about them so I thought I'd tell people!

Got quite a lot of pyjamas...people must have picked up on me complaining that they're always too short in the leg... unsure.gif

As for the day itself, it was pretty damn spiffy, for the first time in forever I didn't go an see the old wrinklies in the evening, would have been nice to see them, but I had being the only one my age when it comes to family. My Uncle came up for presents and Christmas lunch which was nice, he's always fun when he tells stories...like pissing off the edge of Blackpool tower for example. I think possibly the best part of it all though, was the fact my sister's fiancée (who had his first round of chemotherapy for Lymphoma the Wednesday before Christmas) had recovered from the treatment was back to as close to his usual self as can be expected.

I also stayed quite sober, which looking back on it, I'm quite disappointed about.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Dec 29 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,112

QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 28 2005, 06:28 PM)
QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Dec 28 2005, 03:20 PM)
I might regift

I've never heard of the verb to 'regift', but I like it.

Regifting is when you take a present that you have been given and give it to someone else as a gift. It's not the best thing to do but it does happen. Try not to give it back to the person who gave it to you and DO remove the tag saying "To Mata, love Aunty." tongue.gif
It was originally on the show Sienfeld.

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Dec 29 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #21

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 29 2005, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Dec 28 2005, 12:55 PM)

I wasn't sure when I typed it, but I thought 'I'm sure Commie will pick me up on that one if I'm wrong' biggrin.gif

Sure don't I always come through? tongue.gif

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Dec 30 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #22

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I had a really good Christmas. My family went down to Deal then my auntie, uncle and cousins came down and stayed in a house nearby so we had Christmas together. We ate too much, drank too much, walked in the freezing cold singing songs and then went back inside to watch Dr Who (they watch it religiously). Then my other auntie, uncle and cousins came down to another house. On boxing day another family came down to stay in one house and then a lady came to stay in our house. We had lots of snow yesterday and so me and a boy from the other family wrestled a lot in the snow.

I got lots of lovely presents this year too. My parents decided that they would just do stockings instead of an actual present. I got a pair of evening gloves, a Rachmaninoff CD, some sheet music for Valse Romantique by Debussy and some classics to read. I got underwear from my sister and some yarn and knitting needles from my aunt.smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Dec 30 2005, 10:57 PM
Post #23

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

This was by far one of the better Christmasses we've had if you're going by the presents I got, but I never really got into the Christmas mood.

I got some photo paper, pajamas, Earrings and necklaces, a Photoshop-type program, a blue scarf sort of thing, a flannel blanket, and some underwear (from my mom) that reach up to somewhere around my chin.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Dec 31 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #24

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Dec 30 2005, 06:57 PM)
This was by far one of the better Christmasses we've had if you're going by the presents I got, but I never really got into the Christmas mood.

I got some photo paper, pajamas, Earrings and necklaces, a Photoshop-type program, a blue scarf sort of thing, a flannel blanket, and some underwear (from my mom) that reach up to somewhere around my chin.

Do you live somewhere cold enough that chin-height underwear is cozy, or is it simply embaressing and the wrong size?

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Dec 31 2005, 12:33 PM
Post #25

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Astarael @ Dec 31 2005, 12:00 AM)
QUOTE (voices_in_my_head @ Dec 30 2005, 06:57 PM)

Do you live somewhere cold enough that chin-height underwear is cozy, or is it simply embaressing and the wrong size?

*Points Ast in the direction of the Location bit under Voices' name*

/spam

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 08:43 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!