Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Geek contest!, Who's the geekiest?
Jonman
post Jan 3 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

Over Chrimble, I got all the boxes of my stuff out of my mum's loft and went through them, deciding what to keep, what to sell, and what to bin.

So, long story short, I came across all my old RPG books (Palladium, RIFTS, Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play), and more to the point, my collection of old character sheets.

Which were filed in a folder.

Alphabetised.

And sorted based not only on characters name, but also on game, and level of character.

And my favourite characters would spread across 5 or 6 sides of A4.

And use about 6 different coloured pens.

And pencil for the bits that would change when levelled up.

I sometimes forget what a geek I am.

I dare you - out-geek me!

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 3 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #2

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

Not sure if its out geeking you, but its pretty geeky/obsessive anyway. When I was still with my boyfriend, I would leave our AIM windows open for a couple weeks, and when they got too long I'd save them and stick them in a folder.... I have about 50 of these things and alot of them are about nothing.

Sometimes they're fun to read through and point out all the things that have changed over the years.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 3 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #3

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I exhibit many signs of the classic non-techie geek--example: As opposed to just buying a pair of tye-dyed jeans (which would not be a major hardship, considering that I only own about six pairs of pants altogether), I spent the last week painstakingly batiking an old pair. This entails heating wax, carefully dripping it over the jeans, and then dyeing it several different colors. Following the first dyeing, the jeans must be rinsed completely, dried completely, and then have parts of the wax stripped off and a new pattern of wax applied. I dyed mine only four times (pink, then a light blue, then green, then navy) but each dyeing has taken an entire day. I'm midway through removing the final section of wax, and if it does not come out right, I will probably just expire.

Truly I tell you, this is wardrobe geekery at its finest.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 4 2006, 01:33 AM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

I am completely anal in the way files on my computer are named. Each file has to be correctly capitalised, like so:

"Psychology - Developmental Psychology"

I absolutely cannot have the file as "psychology - developmental psychology", or any other variant of that.

My music collection is also structured by artist.

I despise having desktop shortcuts on my PC. This is a shot of my desktop as it stands. Note the complete absense of desktop icons. Plus, I religiously empty My Recycle Bin, too.

Erm, I can't think of anything else.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 4 2006, 02:08 AM
Post #5

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (little_bear @ Jan 4 2006, 01:33 AM)
I despise having desktop shortcuts on my PC. This is a shot of my desktop as it stands. Note the complete absense of desktop icons.

Gotcha beat, I only have the Recycle Bin on my PC and Macintosh HD icon on my mac. Except when I'm working on a project, then I keep it on the desktop for easy access.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 4 2006, 02:28 AM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Currently I have around 50 shortcuts on my desktop. I go through and file things away occasionally, but sometimes it's very useful to have them there. I use the ones to open software usually several times per-day, so it makes sense to have them out.

For a bloke who makes a living from working with computers, I think I'm very un-geeky.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 4 2006, 03:11 AM
Post #7

Just thought of a couple things. Nothing really to do with computers, but definatley pretty geeky.

I periodically go to the bookstore and buy a couple books that I think I really want to read. When I get home I find them a place on my bookshelf.
My bookshelf is organized into two parts:
*Read and
*Unread

From there I group them by the way they make me feel (which tends to go by genres) There's fantasy which usually goes right along the childrens novels (they make me feel innocent and carefree, and also like I'm escaping from the world) then there's crap like Dean Koonts, Anne Rice (which for some reason doesnt fall under the 'fantasy' genre for me) and Stephen King stuff, along with a couple random things like To Kill a Mockingbird, The Joy Luck Club and The Princess Bride. They're the kind of books that are a really good read, but that I keep thinking are total crap and not worth my time. (with the exception of Anne Rice, her stuff is kind of a waste of my time.... never got through Vampire Lestat....) Then it goes into the self help/philisophical/fiction novel type things. Which include things like Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven (one of which I discovered I dont have.... Think I sent it to my ex boyfriend and forgot about it.... grah) High Fedelity, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Catcher in the Rye. If I had On The Road it would go there. Then there are a couple random books that really dont go anywhere and they drive the living daylights out of me. Things like Naked Lunch, a random Manga (Battle Royal) that I never got the rest of the series to, a Mythology book, a Robert Frost poetry book, Grimms Fairy Tales.... Some of this stuff I put into categories by if they have multiple story type things that you could just pick up, flip to a page and spend a couple minutes reading and be done. That and collections of people's works.... Like I have all of Shakespeares works EVER all put into one book (its like the bible, I swear) and all the HItchhikers books....

Now that I'm looking at my bookshelf I feel the need to move everything around again. I do this periodically too. I'm very anal about my books. My bookshelf has a whole bunch of junk on it.... Oou I found something to do tonight!

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jan 4 2006, 08:23 AM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

My Chemistry class got a biiiiiig booklet comprised of lots of practise papers for christmas from my teacher this year. I thought it was a fantastic present.

I carefully removed the incorrect apostrophe from a sign saying "Swimming Pool's half price" at the garden centre.

My character folder is arranged into sections: D&D, GURPS, and then all the fanfic RPGs, then by individual game, character and name after that. I have a section of photocopied sheets from the players' manuals as well, for the classes and races I play a lot. And a section for pictures.

It's also indexed.

And the majority of my characters have many pictures, a history and I would imagine most people pencil in the level-dependent bits.

I think I'm probably still out-geeked, but that seems like a damn good try to me biggrin.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Jan 4 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #9

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

I thought of a new one as I was walking to the bus station today.

I mentally think "lol" or "arf" whenever I see something that is funny in everyday life.

I don't know if that's incredibly geeky or incredibly sad, to be honest. _

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jan 4 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #10

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 4 2006, 03:28 AM)
For a bloke who makes a living from working with computers, I think I'm very un-geeky.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAH
*deep breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAH

*wipes tear away*

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Jan 4 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #11

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (little_bear @ Jan 4 2006, 04:56 PM)
I mentally think "lol" or "arf" whenever I see something that is funny in everyday life.

I know I keep picking up on things you post, but I very nearly said "lol" out loud once, the only stumbling block that saved me was I wasn't quite sure how to say it. Then again I met someone who kept saying lol as a word....he annoyed me.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Chronotub
post Jan 4 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #12

Worrying

Member No.: 1,776

I would say I am fairly geeky but not the orginised hard working type, more the layabout student type.
At the moment I my bedroom is a total mess with white dwarf and gamming magazines, revision notes, boxes of warhammer, boxes floopy disks and text books littering the floor.
their is a pile of CD's on the floor where my cd tower got nocked and I can't be botherd to pick them up, (this has been for a few weeks now)
In college I work hard when its needed (I allways get coursework and stuff in on time) but I tend to slack of as much as I can, my homework is normally rushed through at 1 in he morning because I have spent the evening dossing about with my mates (we dont go clubbing or anything) or watching cartoons while surfing the internet.

--------------------
Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Jan 4 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #13

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

oh dear.....

I have all my characters saved to my pc and in printed format, filed away by name alphabetically, I also have a number of my friends characters filed on my pc too, in the same format, i also tend to download copies of all of the rp books that i buy and save them to my pc so that i don't have to use the main books except during the game, these are all filed away alphabetically by game. all my characters are poly pocketed, I have one folder that holds the character being used and one folder for all the archived characters, if a character is pulled out of archive it goes into the play folder and the character in play goes to archive. whilst playing my dice all have to be set up in a row from smallest die to largest with the max number showing on top. I never write on the character sheet, I use another pad which stays with the play folder and any change of info gets written on this.

so does anyone have a number or site for help with obsesive compulsive disorder? smile.gif

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jan 4 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #14

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 4 2006, 07:15 PM)
QUOTE (little_bear @ Jan 4 2006, 04:56 PM)

I know I keep picking up on things you post, but I very nearly said "lol" out loud once, the only stumbling block that saved me was I wasn't quite sure how to say it. Then again I met someone who kept saying lol as a word....he annoyed me.

I've shouted "Double you tee eff!" before now. In public.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jan 4 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #15

My direction

Member No.: 495

Greeneyes actually said "lol" once, I believe. I think them, but don't say them.

Also: Chronotub has floopy discs! I want a floopy disc! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 4 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #16

I say double you tee eff alot, because I dont like cursing (if I can help it) and thats the easiest way to express extreme annoyance without saying the acctual word.... I think it also stuck because me and my boyfriend use to joke around using all the internet acronyms in preppy voices.... Heehh.

I think I say lol out loud too, but not "ell oh ell" I pronounce it as a word.... I'm not quite certain if I say it outloud or just think it, though....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chronotub
post Jan 4 2006, 08:24 PM
Post #17

Worrying

Member No.: 1,776

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 4 2006, 08:43 PM)
Greeneyes actually said "lol" once, I believe. I think them, but don't say them.

I said lol once and all my mates just staired at me, and where quite suprised

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jan 4 2006, 08:43 PM)
Also: Chronotub has floopy discs! I want a floopy disc! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 4 2006, 08:46 PM
Post #18

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Commie and I have more than once phonetically said words like wtf ("wutteff"), omg, bbl, brb etc at eachother in a spoken conversation.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 4 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Jan 4 2006, 12:46 PM)
Commie and I have more than once phonetically said words like wtf ("wutteff"), omg, bbl, brb etc at eachother in a spoken conversation.

They did this on the Tube ride from Heathrow the first day I met them. No other words, just Internet acronyms for at least a couple of minutes. omgwtfbbq was my favorite to hear out loud.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 4 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #20

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Heh, I forgot about that. Damn we are sad. I sometimes PM Commie with the geekiest stuff I thought about/saw that day.

Pimp: The Backhand. [/injoke]

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Jan 4 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #21

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I have a friend who says "ell oh ell" in everyday conversation and it drives me absolutely mad with rage. But I say "dot dot dot" occasionally, so I have no room to talk. I have no defense. I haven't played D&D with real people in years because I can't find a group, but I'd probably be obsessive with the character sheets. I may start doing that if I ever start writing short stories to expand like I've been meaning to. dry.gif And one of my yearly anticipated events is playing Risk with my dad's somewhat nerdy friends.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 4 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #22

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I spent midnight to one o'clock on the phone last night, talking about the structure of the brain and the role of nicotinic agonists on various neurotransmitters.

Wasn't homework.

I actually just wanted to know.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post Jan 4 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #23

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

A passion of mine is studying maps of geo-political boundry shifts throughout history. Not to mention waves cultural and religious change. Half of my My Documents folder seem to be scans of maps and paintings of famous locations and buildings throughout the century. I'm not sure I find them exciting... but they are rather interesting nonetheless.

Oh yes, I even have an old b&w photograph of Konstantinoupolis from around 1900 perched atop my computer at the moment. It's held in place with my Hellsing shot glass and bottle of Austrian schnaps.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 6 2006, 01:19 AM
Post #24

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Calantyr @ Jan 4 2006, 10:41 PM)
Oh yes, I even have an old b&w photograph of Konstantinoupolis from around 1900 perched atop my computer at the moment. It's held in place with my Hellsing shot glass and bottle of Austrian schnaps.

I'm not sure if that's geeky or just eccentric. I've always believed that the line between eccentricity and madness is defined by funds, but I think it's more difficult to place the line between eccentircity and geekiness. I'd say that I'm a bit eccentric, but I may be flattering myself.

Is it me, or does D&D sound like the hobby of frustrated engineers looking to have something to control?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 6 2006, 04:01 AM
Post #25

I was wondering what that thought was lurking in the back of my mind! I couldn't put it into words. Thanks Mata. Except my thought was more along the lines of the hobby of frustrated _gamers_ looking to have something to control. Other than their game, which they must not have much control over if they're frustrated.... Or so says my logic.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:29 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!