Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cakes ! ! !, Little flame in need of BIG help
Red Flame
post Jan 17 2006, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 1,859

Hi all,

It's my grandparents 50th wedding Anniversary soon (I know how amazing it that!) and there is going to be a big party with all sorts of disant relatives coming from everywhere.

Anyway, my mum and I have been put in charge of designing a cake,getting it made and stuff. So I need some help with the design and thought I could ask the lovely people of the website for ideas.

You may want to know somethings about them to get your creative juices flowing. My Grandmother was a teacher, goes to church every Sunday and likes cross stich. My Grandad was a headmaster, is a lay reader (a kind of vicar) and loves maths.

If you could post some designs I would be very thankful.

Love

Red Flame x x x

--------------------
Sporks will rule the world one day you know.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jan 17 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #2

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

How about decorating it so it looks like a cross stitch sampler made up of images of they're interests.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 17 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 580

So they're more of the classic type of cake people, not extravagant type of cake people?

Are you thinking of doing tieres or no?

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Jan 17 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #4

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Having a lot of little letters and math symbols done in little frosting lines would represent their mingled educational interests, and some crosses would probably go over well with both of them. I like Cath's idea about doing a lot of little pictures in sort of a cross-stitch sampler design. smile.gif How big is it going to be?

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 17 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #5

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I like Cath's idea too. How much time do you have before the party? Does anyone else in your family do cross-stitch? They could make a cake band showing their interests, like this one: it's Christmas-y, but you get the basic idea.

This doesn't have anything to do with their interests (more like the amount of seasons they have spent together or something), but I am madly in love with this cake. But it would take a TON of work. I just like to gaze longingly at it. So pretty...

And...a completely indecent suggestion that I would NEVER suggest you even remotely think about using, but I am providing it for the sake of humor. WARNING!!! The following link goes to a very REALISTIC cake modelled after a part of the male anatomy. Don't click if you're afraid of penii!! The Penis Cake. Again, this link is STRICTLY FOR HUMOR AND IT IS VERY ADULT. It is just a ha ha that is a funny cake thing...not something your should serve to your cross-stitching granny.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Jan 17 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #6

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

[spam]

Darn, cand posted the penii before I could >.>

I also adore said season cake.

[/spam]

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Red Flame
post Jan 18 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #7

The cross sitch sampler idea pretty good because I think she has a book with different pics in it that i could use.

I never really thought about the size. I suppose it will have to be pretty big for all the family. But I'm not sure. What do you think?

P.S Idont think they will aprceate the penii one but I was a nice thought even if a disturbing one

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 18 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #8

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (Red Flame @ Jan 18 2006, 02:22 PM)
P.S  Idont think they will aprceate the penii one but I was a nice thought even if a disturbing one

I didn't think so either. Like I said, I'd never suggest you serve it to them! It was strictly for laughs wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jan 18 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #9

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

Hmm I don't know about a design myself but I really think that Cath's idea is a gudden. For my grandparent's 60th last year they had a design around the edges with diamonds (diamond anniversairy) made from those edible ball things, specially shaped of course, which I thought was a nice subtle touch.

Or you could make them a Space Cake.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 19 2006, 07:40 PM
Post #10

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

How about a pile of books (one could be a bible)? And you could also encorporate Cath's cross stitch idea too.

On the penii note, a friend and I made a cake with a 6" phallus shaped candle on the top, for another friend's birthday one year. We wrapped it up in a box like a parcel, and got her to open it when she opened her other presents.

Apparently she had never seen her nan go so crimson before...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Jan 19 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #11

Browncoat

QUOTE (Daria @ Jan 19 2006, 03:40 PM)
How about a pile of books (one could be a bible)? And you could also encorporate Cath's cross stitch idea too.

The pile of books could include math books, miscellaneous schoolbooks, the Bible, and a cross stitch instruction book. You could make a lot of books on top of a really long and wide but not-so-tall cake using frosting. The mental picture I have has each book done in a different-colored background and the edges of each frosting book were touching or almost so. Perhaps you could have an "Our Wedding" book in the middle and put little sugar diamonds all around the edges of that book.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams

+Quote Post
Red Flame
post Jan 20 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #12

You put lots of thought into that one didn't you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 20 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

The image I had was something like this (but not drawn quite so crudely, on Paint rolleyes.gif )

Appologies for the things which look like nipples- they are meant to be rosettes biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 20 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #14

Also, instead of working with just frosting.... Fondant is nice. Though the traditional fondant doesnt taste too good. I have a recipe that uses marshmellows (it tastes really good) that I'll post here as soon as I find it tongue.gif

Fondant is basically a 'frosting' that is more like dough, and you can roll it out. Its a bit easier to work with ( I think ) especially if you're going to do the book idea.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 20 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #15

Candbrush Threepwood

If you want a cake with fondant that still tastes really good, you can always put buttercream underneath the fondant.

But then, I think we all saw by that season cake that I am in love with cakes that take a ridiculous amount of time to make. unsure.gif

Instead of diamonds in Ast's suggestion you could have...erm..gold something? Do they make gold dragees? I know they make silver ones. Ah well something gold anyway since it's the gold anniversary. And maybe you could include a cross stitch sampler book or something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 20 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #16

At craft stores they have gold leafing stuff, I'm sure eating a little of it wouldnt hurt tongue.gif

Also, its reccomended to put a thin layer of buttercream down on the cake before you put the fondant down, it helps it stick and helps keep it looking smooth. Yum happy.gif Two kinds of icing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Flame
post Jan 22 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #17

*dribbles* mmmmmm icing *realizes what is doing* oh! Urm yeah thanks for that one I think it's a really good idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 22 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #18

Okay, fondant is really easy to make, it takes 10-20 minutes (depending how good you are at it) and is a bit sticky....
You'll need 16 ounces of marshmellows (approx. 53 of the big marshmellows) two pounds of powdered sugar, and some vegetable shortening.

Put the marshmellows in a microwave safe bowl, microwave 30 seconds at a time, mixing after every round. It should take a minute and a half to two mniutes to get the marshmellows fully melted. Once they're fully melted pour in about 1/3 of the powdered sugar (just eyeball it) and mix. Then dump it out onto a counter that you've coated with the vegetable shortening (to prevent sticking) and start kneeding in the rest of the sugar. If the fondant tears when it stretches you can add a little water and kneed that in too.

Basically that's it. Once you get all the sugar mixed in it should be the consistancy of dough, it shouldn't be sticky anymore either. At this point you should wrap it up in two layers of plastic wrap and refrigerate it overnight (to help disolve the rest of the sugar so you dont have sugar lumps) but it's okay to use it immediatly, just make sure you kneed out most of the lumps. You can keep fondant for a long time in the fridge, if you're planning on keeping it a while coat it in a bit of vegetable shortening before you wrap it up, it will help keep the moisture in.

I had an incident where my fondant dried out and wasnt really usable, I stuck it inthe microwave for about 20 seconds till it was pliable, then added water till it got back to its usual consistancy.

And the buttercream recipe I use is right here:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandpr...cing/bcream.cfm

Oh, and you can dye your fondant/flavor it anyway you want. Just kneed the different colors/flavors into the dough.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jan 30 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #19

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Member No.: 1,348

This may be a little late but you can get gold leaf that is specifically for cake and sweet making.

Do we get to see pictures of the finished thing as I'm intrigued cake decorating is always good although my biggest problem is unconsiously snacking on what I'm supposed to be arranging as decoration blush.gif

You could also try royal icing, its pretty easy to make and you can mix it up to use either in a piping bag or as a paste, its brilliant for fine detail, is tasty (which always helps) and sets quite crunchy so it holds shapes really well.

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Jan 30 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Browncoat

How's it going with the cake, Flame? And for that matter, how long until this big party? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Flame
post Feb 4 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #21

The party isn't until March so we still have a while to sort this cake thing out. I've came up with the idea of writing (in icing) around the edges everything that my granma and grandad are for exsample;-

mum,dad,grandma,grandad,brother,sister,anutie,uncle,sir,miss,friend,neighbor and so on.

What do you think?

P.S when the cake is made i'll be sure to take a picture of it.

P.P.S i've had one of my two birthday cakes today but we cheated and bought a bubblegum one, it was really yummy. Although i was quite disturbed about the pink-ness.

P.P.P.S if you haven't guess i dont really like the colour pink.

P.P.P.P.S it's my birthday on the 6th. i'm gonna be 15!

P.P.P.P.P.S I'll just shut up now

P.P.P.P.P.P.S *coughs*

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:50 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!