IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Throat hurts! Voice Messed Up!, I'm in a band and I need help!
Righteous
post Jan 31 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

This is more-or-less my fault. I've been doing (or rather, overdoing) a lot of vocal and breathing exercises to improve my speaking, singing and screaming voices and now my throat really, really hurts. I can speak (painfully), but I haven't been for a while now. I certainly don't trust my voice enough to sing and definately don't trust my voice enough to scream. It's pretty bad. I can't comfortably eat anything other than cheese and I'm talking to people via notes. I'm trying to work out more music with Eat the Night, so I have to get over this ASAP.

I'm keeping quiet as well as drinking cold fluids and loading up on that anestetic throat spray. Other than that, I'm at a loss. Anyone know how to reduce the pain/swelling? Any tips? Any suggestions? Help me out here.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 31 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Garlging with salt-water always seems to help my throat.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jan 31 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #3

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Hot water with lemon and salt.

Tastes absolutely VILE, but it always helps my throat.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Jan 31 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #4

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

Honey Milk helps.

And once it heals, be careful how much screaming you do in one session. It's actually pretty bad for your voice to scream, but if only done in moderately short bursts (15 minutes tops without a break) it should minimize any damage that your voice would take.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 31 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I've had this exact problem before, actually (like the night before my first concert!). Try leaving your throat completely open while singing and using only the diaphragm to make noise. Of course you can't completely leave your throat alone but this really minimizes the strain on it. Lots of water helps. Broadway singers use steam, but sometimes the heat makes the throat even more sore once it dries out. Stay away from acidic stuff.

trunks_girl: there's a woman in New York who teaches metal singers to scream properly (without destroying their throats). Wish I could remember her name, but her essential method is the same as opera singers (who could be construed as just slightly more melodic screamers): lots of lower abdominal support.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Jan 31 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #6

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Lemon juice and saltwater have helped me a few times. Do what the others suggested and keep drinking plenty of fluids. Best of luck with a fast recovery. smile.gif

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 1 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #7

Shut up, noob!

I drank water all damn day and then drank some more. Around three, my throat felt better so I was able to talk. ETN came over and I _had_ to sing to demonstrate our new song. I half-assed through the first verse and chorus just to give Broox (the other main songwriter dude) an idea of what I was going for. It wasn't nice. Had I screamed, it would have probably been worse.

I did the salt-water deal and, once again, drank plenty of water. I'm thinking of hopping in the shower before I go to sleep and just standing there breathing. I do that to decongest (I have post-nasal drip) and it works beautifully.

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Jan 31 2006, 05:04 PM)
[...]there's a woman in New York who teaches metal singers to scream properly (without destroying their throats). Wish I could remember her name, but her essential method is the same as opera singers (who could be construed as just slightly more melodic screamers): lots of lower abdominal support.

Her name is Melissa Cross and she's awesome. The vocalist for my brother's band and I pitched in to get The Zen of Screaming and already my scream has improved. A lot of her students (the vocalists for Shadows Fall, Lamb of God, Thursday and God Forbid among others) had the same problems we have, which is why we got it. After screwing my voice up in high school, her DVD has helped tremendously.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Feb 1 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #8

My direction

Member No.: 495

Vocalzone throat pastilles. Can you get them?

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Feb 1 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #9

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

If you boil some milk in a pan, add a spoonful of honey and some nutmeg then drink it. It's tastey, simple and it helps your throat. I hope you feel better soon.smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 2 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #10

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Feb 1 2006, 09:20 AM)
Vocalzone throat pastilles. Can you get them?

What're those?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 2 2006, 05:17 PM
Post #11

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I've never heard of them and thought they sounded decidedly British and not something you'd be able to find. They are...they're sold at Boots. But apparently you can buy them online and have them sent to you in the US.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
ezfriday
post Feb 6 2006, 09:03 PM
Post #12

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,231

"NIN JIOM PEI PA KOA"

Write it down and take it to a "Chinese" market. Someone there should know what it is. It is a long time used medicinal herb remedy for throat irritations by the Chinese. You can thin it as a hot drink like tea or take it straight by the spoonful. It is manufactured in Hong Kong and is well know among many Chinese and British residents of Hong Kong. It tastes pretty good to, kinda minty...

The label is very informative in both Chinese and English … ingredients … directions … etc...

It is a "very" good product ... please try it you will be glad you did ...

Good luck…

ezfriday smile.gif

Lemon and water is good too ... but this is better when the soarness is really bad ... I stopped useing sprays all together after finding this ... or I should say I only use throat spray when I can't find this ...

--------------------
"[QUOTE]I really need to set up a personnal web page"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:26 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!