Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "Accidental" Best Man, A silly wedding story
Righteous
post Feb 6 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

So my bandmate Broox DVS got married yesterday. He called me up, came by and finished getting ready. Before we left, he gave me a box with the rings in it, telling me to hold onto it. We got to the church and met up with the pastor (nothing amazing, I figure; we've both known the guy for ages). Broox then told me to give the rings to the pastor when he asked for them. Okay, I thought. Whatever. We got into the chapel (it was a small ceremony) where I was told to stand next to Broox for the duration of the ceremony, where at the end, I signed my name on a document as an official witness to the ceremony. Whatever, I did my job. Afterward, their families were taking pictures and would say, "Get James in there." I wasn't quite sure why, but I didn't want to argue or anything. We went to the reception at Broox's where his mom said to me, "Well, are you gonna do the toast?" "Why me?" "The best man always does the toast; it's tradition." "Wait, since when was I the best man?" A bit confuzzled, I did the toast (it was a nice one; go me). I later asked Broox, "Dude, why didn't you tell me you wanted me as the best man?" He replied, "Because I knew if I told you, you'd be stressing about it."

The rest of the afternoon and evening went well. I found it kind of silly that I had the honor of being the best man without realizing it. Then again, I didn't quite know what the Hell the best man did anyway.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 6 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Hah...nice approach if he knew you'd stress out about it. People can get kind of anxious over weddings, even small ones.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 6 2006, 02:35 AM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

That made me laugh, but I definatley congradulate him on his approach to the situation tongue.gif

How'd the speech go, by the way? You got no time to prepare tongue.gif

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Feb 6 2006, 03:19 AM
Post #4

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Sounds like you had a smart friend and everything ended well, but popping the toast on you at the last minute could have wound up being rather silly if you'd been stumped for words. My dad was best man at a wedding a few months ago, but it was very nontraditional and he didn't have to do much of anything but walk in at the right time and stand still. tongue.gif

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Feb 6 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

Member No.: 367

Broox and I have known each other for years. He knew damn well that if he were to say, "Dude, I want you to be my best man," I'd have spent every moment saying, "I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up. I'm not gonna screw up." By doing this, I spent the whole time with a grin on my face feeling happy for the two of them.

Regarding the speech, all I did was talk about how I was there when they got engaged (she ran into the room holding her left hand out, to which I responded, "Something wrong? Wow, holy crap. Look at that rock") and now I got to be there for the wedding and how I felt really blessed to have been there for both and how I love them both and wish them the best.

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:05 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!