Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Silly Gifts, what were some of yours?
The Lorax
post Feb 14 2006, 05:08 AM
Post #1

Superterriffic.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,052

The point is simple---share your experiances with giving or reciving silly/gross/nasty/funny gifts.

My contribution:

My little sister turned eleven lastnight. My boyfriend and I went to the oriental market down the road and bought her a seven pound live crab. No real reason, just a spur of the moment decision. She loved it.

His name became Mr Krabs...

Sadly, he died this morning... dry.gif ...I told them to put sea salt in the water...

Anyway. He's in crabby heaven. it's all good.

So. Do share.

--------------------
[center]Lets all get drunk, tonight.[/center]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Feb 14 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

It was one of my friend's birthdays a couple of weeks ago, so we gave him (first thing in the morning so he had to carry them round school all day):

- An Optimus Prime foam dart gun
- A 1.5kg tin of new potatoes
- A book about roundabouts
- 200 party poppers, which turned into a huge ball of confetti
- A childrens book in which we had written an alternative ending

and.....

- A book on Anger Management so he could cope after seeing the above.

That was a fun day.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Feb 14 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #3

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

For Valentines day this year, I bought my friend Kitty (not of Matazone fame) a singing Cliff Richard card. She really despises him.

In the past I have also given someone a pink muligrater, someone else a hunting decoy (he doesn't hunt) and someone else a potato because it looked like them when they get angry.

I buy great presents biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Feb 14 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #4

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

Once, when strapped for cash, I had to buy my sister a birthday gift. I had about $15 to spend, so I went down to Wal-Mart and bought as many things that cost under $1 that I could find (although I did splurge on a $1.75 inflatable ball, because it was nearly 3' in diameter). She ended up with a Hot Wheels car, bouncy balls, chalk, straws, and some other random knick-knacks. She liked the gifts, but I think that I had more fun shopping for them then she had receiving them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 15 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I once wanted my boyfriend to have a hard copy picture of me to put in his wallet, and I told him I was going to send it to him (long distance relationship....) So I wrote the usual 7 page letter, stuck a picture of me, 3 years old, all red faced and cold with a huge cup of hot chocolate and the goofiest smile you can ever imagine.

Then I found a nice recent picture of me and cut it out so it was nice and small and concealed it in the folds of the letter tongue.gif

He told me he was like "Whaattt?" and confused when he opened the letter.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Feb 15 2006, 03:45 PM
Post #6

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

I was on holiday down in the U.S. in Oregan and visited Crater Lake. It's a way cool lake. It's the top of a volcano that's blown out a big crater, over time rainwater (and maybe a stream? don't know) have filled up a lakefull of water. It's possible to walk in a huge circle around the lake but hard to climb down the sheer sides of rock to reach the water. The volcano isn't dead either. A cinder cone resides in the middle of the lake. It's known poetically as wizard's castle. Anyway I bought a small geode. When I returned home and the boyfriend asked if I'd gotten him anything - I gave him the geode and said "I got you a rock."

Another boyfriend was promised a black lace teddy at Christmas. He received a small teddy bear wearing clothing trimmed in black lace including a black lace bow tie.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Feb 15 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #7

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Whilst in France, I found a little artisand shop which had various homey things about, including little wooden placks engraved with lovely penmanship that one was presumably to put up on room doors. There were ones that said "Chambre" and what have you, but I happened across one that read "Douche." The pretty writing, the exquisite craftmanship, the fact that it said douche... I bought it for my little brother.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Feb 16 2006, 03:00 AM
Post #8

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Dunno if you know, but "Douche" is the French word for shower. (edit: upon re-examination, one would probably know some French in France. Whoops.)

I've given needlessly elaborate gifts before--I have a bad habit of giving people boxes filled with things. One friend recieved a hippie box, which contained a skirt, incense, a mix, a candle and belly-dancing lessons. However, stupid gifts--not so much. One Christmas I gave everyone fur earmuffs, but I felt awful about it afterwards and gave them super-presents for birthdays. I'm too guilt-ridden to make a good stupid gift-giver.

This post has been edited by elphaba2: Feb 16 2006, 03:00 AM

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Feb 16 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #9

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Oui. Je parle un beaucoup de francais.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 16 2006, 06:05 AM
Post #10

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Feb 15 2006, 07:45 AM)
A cinder cone resides in the middle of the lake.  It's known poetically as wizard's castle.

The cinder cone in the middle is called Wizard Island. I think you accidentally combined the name with that of Pumice Castle. And the lake itself is fed by rain and melting snow. smile.gif I grew up in Oregon and have literally been to nearly every national park in the state...and probably most of the towns as well.

My sister and I tend to get each other strange gifts. I gave her a CD for Christmas one year, which isn't silly at all. But I taped pink condoms over every square inch of the outside. No real reason other than she likes pink and I was bored. It was fun when she opened it in front of our parents. A lot of the gifts that she and I buy for each other tend to begin with one of us saying "That is SO TACKY. I must buy it for my sister!" Holidays are interesting.

I have a pair of electric pom poms (they spin) that I got from Lo. And I sent her a bunch of palm tree straws with little umbrellas stuck in the top that I got from Tesco. They're just like regular disposable straws with little foil palm tree leaves on the side. Awesome souvenir. tongue.gif

Oh...and last year I got Lo glass eyes for her birthday (I did get her something this year as well but haven't sent it yet even though her birthday has passed so I cannot reveal what it is). I couldn't think of what to get her, and I know she likes eyes. So I started looking around for glass eyes...and I found a taxidermy place that sold them. They had "novelty" human eyes (since obviously it's not exactly legal to taxidermy a human like you would a deer), so I got her a pair. I'm pretty sure a lot of people know about that one, though, since she had a picture of them sitting in my hand with a smile drawn on it as her av for awhile.

I still get the taxidermy catalog, even though that's all I ever bought from them. They keep sending it and I keep forgetting to tell them to stop. It's a really creepy catalog. unsure.gif

I bought dandruff stuff and chapstick for snoo once...but there was a reason for that. It's just kind of an odd thing to get for someone. "Oooh what'd you bring me?" "Chapstick and stuff for your dandruff! I am an awesome friend who solves all your skin problems!"

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Feb 16 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #11

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (candice @ Feb 16 2006, 06:05 AM)
I bought dandruff stuff and chapstick for snoo once...but there was a reason for that.  It's just kind of an odd thing to get for someone.  "Oooh what'd you bring me?"  "Chapstick and stuff for your dandruff!  I am an awesome friend who solves all your skin problems!"

Gee thanks Cand, tell the whole world! tongue.gif

I just sent Cand £10.62 via paypal.... kinda random but not especially silly

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Feb 17 2006, 06:13 PM
Post #12

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

I'm good on random presents Cand can vouch me on this.
I got one friend an onion for xmas cause he needed one for his lasgna and couldn't afford it at the time I even put a bow on it. I also got him a bag of food for his 21st b'day.
Another friend and me started a wierd present contest by accident he just kept trying to out do me but still won. I made him a Pickled Kitten, an Evil cuddly mushroom (he doesn't like mushrooms or cuddly toys), Hamster Jam with a free sample of Lemming Curd and Instant Farie cake mix complete with farie bits.
I made Mata a Pickled Mittens and Cand a box of Flying mice.
I also made my tutors and some friends Instant Man mix.
I think that's all of them. I like making wierd things for people. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Feb 18 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #13

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I am too poor to buy stuff for people, so I generally write them goofy poems. But I have received some bizarre things. Among them, an outdated menu/calander from a Chinese restaurant to hang on my wall from my grandpa and a gigantic box of q-tips from my aunt for Christmas.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Daria
post Feb 19 2006, 02:54 AM
Post #14

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Whilst reading this thread again, I remembered getting my friend a cuddly toy monkey called Crackers who, when you squeeze his tummy, says in the eerie voice of my then 6 year old brother "Jess... Jess... I'm going to get you...". I also once found an old black and red paisley smoking jacket for a musician friend of mine, in a charity shop. What was odd about it was that it had a napkin from an old folks home and a rubber band. I took them out and framed them for him and gave them to him with the jacket; he was understandably bemused.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Feb 19 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #15

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Last year my friends and I had an obsession with getting me some new rock boots. Fair to say my parents were strongly opposed and I was not in a position to spending £130 on shoes. So, for my birthday, two of them decided to buy me these big orange 'monster-shoes' which made crashing noises when you walked and called them 'new rock boots'. Yay!

Another friend's birthday, three of us clubbed together and bought her a book, a toy crab, a little fridge and a lot of chocolate from a cheap shop (£1 for 12 bars!). Not all so silly. But when we came to wrapping up, we stuck them all together with lots of different coloured paper and then attached the finished tube from the wrapping paper on the end. We then stuck as many glow sticks to it as possible and called it 'The 5 way sex-machine' complete with its own theme-tune. We had to walk with it into the town and the poor girl's dad had to walk with it all the way back to her house.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Feb 20 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #16

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Ooo! I forgot about sending moop a load of packets of Parma Violets and not actually signing the note I put in with them. I'd also got his adress of Cand so he didn't who sent them. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Feb 20 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #17

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (Cath @ Feb 20 2006, 08:26 PM)
Ooo! I forgot about sending moop a load of packets of Parma Violets and not actually signing the note I put in with them. I'd also got his adress of Cand so he didn't who sent them.  biggrin.gif

The skull and crossbows was a bit of a clue. tongue.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Feb 23 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #18

My direction

Member No.: 495

I got a black and white cow-print stetson hat for christmas... It's awesome biggrin.gif

I'm more of a target for weird gifts than a giver thereof.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Feb 25 2006, 02:18 AM
Post #19

Transdimensional Traveler

Member No.: 1,244

For the man who cannot navigate: A compass that points in all directions at once.

And for the man who cannot swim: A pair of partially inflated arm floaties.

--------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though offtimes better than master of one.

Carpe Noctem, pro cras nos necemus
Carpe Diem, pro hodie nos mutiamo

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 25 2006, 05:39 AM
Post #20

Candbrush Threepwood

snoo, you made a thread about the dandruff! Or at least mentioned it in a thread or something, asking for advice for a new shampoo. tongue.gif You told the world first, miss!

The mice! They are currently dangling from my shelf by their tails, giving the illusion that they're flying. biggrin.gif

I got moop two of these for his 22nd birthday:

You don't have to say it. I know I am the awesomest girlfriend ever. tongue.gif That is made less silly by the fact that he asked for one, though. But I also made him a card that parodied an emo song! Yaaay!

I sincerely considered buying a tutu for my friend when she refused to give me any hint about what she wanted for her birthday. But laziness won out in the end with that one.

I have gotten roughly 8 cans of spam as gifts. All from different people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 25 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #21

Cand! I got the SAME exact thing for a friend for his birthday! And another friend for his birthday! And then one of them got me one for my birthday!

The reason we keep getting the nurf guns is because theres a way to modify it so the barrel folds all the way out, instead of just enough to stick two darts in. Its awesome tongue.gif

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 26 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #22

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (Kitty @ Feb 25 2006, 03:33 PM)
The reason we keep getting the nurf guns is because theres a way to modify it so the barrel folds all the way out, instead of just enough to stick two darts in. Its awesome tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure moop did that to his...kehehe

--------------------

+Quote Post
SPEAKERfortheLOS...
post Feb 26 2006, 01:15 AM
Post #23

Transdimensional Traveler

Member No.: 1,244

For a friend of mine that loved golfing, I gave him a golf club... with modifications...

like a compass in the end of teh handle, an ashtray, a cigarette holder, a lighter holder, a sighting scope, and a head that was broken into about 500 pieces and glued back together incorrectly...

twas a fun resent...

--------------------
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
The hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Jack of all trades, master of none,
though offtimes better than master of one.

Carpe Noctem, pro cras nos necemus
Carpe Diem, pro hodie nos mutiamo

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 26 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #24

I knitted my boyfriend at the time a bunny tongue.gif

Completely random.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icey
post Feb 27 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #25

Worrying

Member No.: 2,228

I recieved a husky hand puppet for Christmas a couple of years ago :?

Was weird but cute

--------------------
Icey

Life is like a taxi. The meter just keeps a-ticking whether you are getting somewhere or just standing still.
- Lou Erickso

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 04:30 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!