Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I remember when...
Mata
post Feb 21 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I feel old today. Currently I feel old because I can remember the days when it didn't really matter what a pop group looked like as long as they had a good singer and a good song.

What are you old enough to remember being different from today?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Feb 21 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 844

Getting up early on Saturday to watch cartoons, from what I can gather its not a thing kids do anymore.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Feb 21 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 20 2006, 08:20 PM)
Getting up early on Saturday to watch cartoons, from what I can gather its not a thing kids do anymore.

Of course they don't! Cartoons these days are utter crap. Complete and utter crap. Long gone are the wondermous mornings of overly sugared breakfast cereals and kicking Foot with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or defending Earth against the Decepticons with Optimus Prime! (Nooo, not name-dropping at all.)

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Feb 21 2006, 03:50 AM
Post #4

Haibane

Member No.: 731

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Feb 20 2006, 07:20 PM)

Though my years number few, I too, remember those days. Though I was too late for the Transformers and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I can see in the distant past, back to the days when I got up before noon on weekends, when, with my Lucky Charms before me, I would watch the Animaniacs, Freakazoid, and the X-Men with such great fervor. But alas! It is now but a misty memory, obscured by the slings of the present and the arrows of the bleak future, never to be experienced again! If only I could go back and relive those days once more!

Overdramatic? I haven't a clue what you mean. tongue.gif

Seriously though, I do miss those Saturday morning cartoons. Other than that, I guess I just wish I could read The Lord of the Rings for the first time, again. One of my other fondest childhood (well, younger childhood) memories is meeting Strider for the first time.

EDIT: Also, my first Dungeons and Dragons campaign and playing Mario and Zelda with friends can both be summed up in one word, and that word is "excellent."

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 21 2006, 04:20 AM
Post #5

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

Not necissarially an overall thing.... But Prarie Home Companion on NPR while my dad cleaned house.... Then again, even if he does do it these days, its just annoying, not nostalgic.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Feb 21 2006, 05:01 AM
Post #6

Kiefer > Jason

Member No.: 51

I remember Voltron and being angry when I was a teenager and the power rangers came out, ripping off the idea of Voltron.

I remember when I could go outside and play without my parents having to sit and watch to make sure nothing happened because there was a nice network of families on the block that all watched out for each other.

I remember when the cool new toys were stuffed animals that you could turn into a ball, now that was high tech.

I also remember walking 2 miles uphill both ways to school naked in blizzards all year long. Oh wait I'm making that one up.

I also remember when wearing clothes that were neon colors, or made you look like you were ready to go floating around in some water safely were the height of fashion. Oh yeah and mullets were sexy.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 21 2006, 05:09 AM
Post #7

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I remember wearing mismatched shoes and socks and a ponytail on the side of my head. And ridiculous clothing. All in an effort to look like my childhood hero...Punky Brewster.

I remember when the Olsen twins were babies on Full House.

I remember when Michael Jackson still vaguely resembled the way he had looked as a child.

I remember when Jim Carrey wasn't famous outside of being a cast member on In Living Color.

I remember when none of my friends had computers.

I remember when Reagan was President.

I remember Kids, Incorporated (unfortunately...)

Hmmm...that's all I can think of right now.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Misty Rain
post Feb 21 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #8

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,525

I also remember walking 2 miles uphill both ways to school naked in blizzards all year long. Oh wait I'm making that one up.

Uphill both ways?

Do you live somewhere where the spacetime geometry is different from here?

Misty Rain

--------------------
?[SIZE=14]

+Quote Post
Misty Rain
post Feb 21 2006, 10:14 AM
Post #9

Obsessive

Dick, Jock and Snowy. Intro was The Devil's Dance

Jet Morgan, Lemmy, and the weird Whittacker

Who were these people? Anybody old enough to remember? If not, ask your mum/dad.

I saw the Brabazon, that mighty white elephant, make it's first flight at Filton.
For years the worlds biggest airliner never sold. Bigger than a 747, it had 8 engines, total horsepower about equal to one jumbo jet engine so you could hear it about half an hour before it arrived.

I remember Winston Churchill being voted out of office after WW2.

I remember the first sliced bread.

Cars had no heaters. You just froze in winter

I remember the swimming pools being shut in summer because that was the polio season.

Cancer was an agonising death sentence - always.

Dentistry was a horror show.

I hated school. Teachers were still allowed to punch, kick, slap and drag you round the class room by your hair. They beat up kids of 10 with leather straps and bits of rubber hose. If any one ever talks to you about the good old days or begins a sentence with "In my day" kick them in the goolies for me please.

Even with global warming, terrorism and nuclear weapons now is better than then was.

Misty Rain - what me? bitter? Not really, this is a great time to be alive. Believe me. I've been then and I've been now and now is better.

--------------------
?[SIZE=14]

+Quote Post
Misty Rain
post Feb 21 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #10

Obsessive

Oh there was another thing:-

At age about 12 (1952 ish) I remember a woman collapsing in the street outside my school. As she died on her back in a circle of gawpers who did nothing, there was nothing to be done in those days, her face turned black and purple.

In 1961 the RAF told me what to do in the case of electric shock. In 1965 the British Sub Aqua club taught me what to do when some one stops breathing. I and my neighbour recovered a 14 year old who had been electrocuted, purple face jobbie even.

I will always be grateful to the BSAC and even the RAF and myself for not sleeping through all of their safety lectures.

Especially as the victim was my son.

That's one you never forget.

Misty Rain

--------------------
?[SIZE=14]

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 21 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Misty Rain @ Feb 21 2006, 10:14 AM)

Ah, but what's the best thing since that? And was it really as good as all the fuss that's made about it?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Clatterpop
post Feb 21 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #12

Super advanced member

Member No.: 2,216

I remember The Double Deckers and going to the cinema every saturday morning for the Saturday Club, it was always a very rowdy affair. Ahh, happy days. smile.gif

I also remember when we thought Vesta curries were exotic. laugh.gif

--------------------
"Do the thing you fear, the death of fear is certain." - R Sankaranarayanan

+Quote Post
Daria
post Feb 21 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I remember T-balls and those flying saucer shaped things you jump up and down on. I remember when skipping ropes were cool, and ra-ra skirts were fashionable. I remember when Lego bricks just came in squares, rectangles and perhaps doors and windows if you're lucky, and Tony Heart's Heartbeat with Morph.

I also remember when the war in Bosnia was going on and there were lots of fundraisers for blankets and emergency supplies.

There are millions of cartoons and childrens' tv programmes I could list as well, alot from the late eighties as I have older siblings so I was influenced by things a few years before my time.
The main thing though- when Mc Donald's toys were Mc Donald's characters (the Hamburgler, those big hairy things, Ronald Mc Donald). I still have a pink and black bum bag (fanny pack) from Mc Donalds...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Feb 21 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #14

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

i remimber leraning thoughs stupid hand clappy games and all there songs, and i happily teach my littler cousins about miss suzy, her children, and her steam boat.

i remimber punk shows befor there were 14 year old idiot kids that were to in to the whole "punk aingst" to realise that the music that they are listening to has an actuall point to it.

i remimer when i was a 16 year old kid really into the "punk aingst" and we ate lunch at sonic on top of my van, also when we drove around carlinville and stole everyones yard balls... well... untill andi droped a cement block on his foot and screamed bloody murder... so we drove off as fast as we could.

i also remimber stealing: yard signes for god (GOD!), republicans signs, "elect so and so" signs, jesus signs (JESUS!), pro abortion signs (only one actually), anti abortion signs (several diffrent types), and finnaly the "support our troops" signs and stickers on cars.
garden gnomes, christmas decorations, flamingos, anyting silly that peopleplace in there yards.... it was one hell of a bon fire.

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Feb 21 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #15

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I remember being the first kid in my elementary school to watch Pokemon, back in the days before it was popular and was on at 5 AM on Tuesdays.

I remember being a wee little person and arguing with my bus driver about Clinton's presidency during the whole Monica Lewinsky thing, and then going home and reading my first article from the Times.

I remember being handed over the backyard fence between my neighbor's house and mine so we could play his N64.

I remember being slightly too old to enjoy Tamagachis, but loving pogs (why? they were just cardboard!) and Sonic the Hedgehog on TV. And Razor scooters! They were for the cool rich kids in my middle school and everyone wanted one, but they were $100.

I remember (this was maybe five or six years ago?) kids made appointments (by phone) to talk to each other on AOL and it took half an hour to sign on each time. "You'll be on at 7, right? Cool. Talk to you then."

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 21 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 21 2006, 07:02 AM)
QUOTE (Misty Rain @ Feb 21 2006, 10:14 AM)

Ah, but what's the best thing since that? And was it really as good as all the fuss that's made about it?

I'd rather slice my own bread, personally. Sometimes the pre-sliced stuff is too thin. I like a nice hunk of bread.

I remember having the first beanie baby and not knowing that it would be worth a hell of alot of money a year later if I didnt rip the tag off mad.gif

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Daria
post Feb 21 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #17

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (elphaba2 @ Feb 21 2006, 08:48 PM)
I remember (this was maybe five or six years ago?) kids made appointments (by phone) to talk to each other on AOL and it took half an hour to sign on each time. "You'll be on at 7, right? Cool. Talk to you then."

I remember that! Except it was with MSN messenger. I also remember when chat rooms were an "innocent" thing, and parents wouldn't freak out about them.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Feb 21 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #18

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I remember when you get could 100 sweets for a pound.

I remember when you were allowed to take the original Star Wars toys out of the packaging and actually play with them *gasp*

I remember scooters being cool the FIRST time around. No, they didn't have little engines, all leg power baby!

I remember Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles pizza on sale in the supermarket. Chocolate and marshmellow anyone?

I drink a lot. That's about as much as my alcohol addled brain can recollect. smile.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Feb 22 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #19

I remember the floppy floppies!

--------------------

+Quote Post
artist.unknown
post Feb 22 2006, 03:49 AM
Post #20

sesquipedalian

Member No.: 915

I remember when Johnny Quest was still on TV. I also remember the original cast of Sesame Street.

I remember drive-in theatres. The kind where you sit in your car and tune the radio into the sound and camp out for two or three entire movies for a couple dollars. That's the proper way to watch a movie.

--------------------
-Grammar Nazi-quotes of the yesterday
It is only in his work that an artist can find reality and satisfaction, for the actual world is less intense than the world of his invention and consequently his life, without recourse to violent disorder, does not seem very substantial. -Tennessee Williams

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Feb 22 2006, 04:57 AM
Post #21

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Feb 21 2006, 07:49 PM)
I also remember the original cast of Sesame Street.

I remember meeting Maria in person when I was about 4. happy.gif And I still know a bit of American Sign Language from that special Linda had...with Little Red Riding Hood and stuff.

I remember drive-in theatres. The kind where you sit in your car and tune the radio into the sound and camp out for two or three entire movies for a couple dollars. That's the proper way to watch a movie.

We still have one of those here...and it's rather popular. I have yet to see anyone making their car windows steamy at it yet, though.

I remember when no one had CDs.

I remember watching the verdict of the OJ Simpson trial live in 8th grade government class.

I remember when VCRs loaded from the top and had remotes that were on cords (I found our old one when I was cleaning out my closet a few weeks ago...hehehe).

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Feb 22 2006, 05:24 AM
Post #22

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

I remember 8 tracks. I also remember the converter that let you play tapes on your 8 track player.

I remember drive in movie theatres.

I remember buying a new pocket book for less than $5.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Feb 22 2006, 05:53 AM
Post #23

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

I remember when it didn't burn to pee!

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Feb 22 2006, 07:59 AM
Post #24

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (Kitty @ Feb 22 2006, 04:47 AM)
I remember the floppy floppies!

I remember when software came on cassette tapes.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 22 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #25

I remember programming computers with punch cards!

No, actually I'm lying there, but I remember games on tapes too.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 01:21 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!