IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hurricane Management, the care and feeding of small humans?
Ashbless
post Feb 28 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

I'm a single lady who likes her peace and quiet. I'm also an honorary Aunty to friends who are raising small humans. So, my friday night is about to be invaded by my nearly-niece. A wonderful, bright, very active girl of three.

I've bought a scapbook of paper and some crayons that might amuse for 5 minutes or so. I thought I'd drive her to the library and let her pick out a book we can read together. Tossing her in the backyard to wear herself out piling up snow is tricky as it's supposed to be -20 C that night. A wee bit on the cool side.

I know Snugglebum the Destroyer is a Mom. Any other Moms or Dads out there willing to part with ways to amuse a small child for a couple hours with minimum destruction?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Mar 2 2006, 02:59 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You could give her a headstart on a career in escapology by putting her in a straitjacket for the night to see if she can escape... Or would that be considered cruel?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 2 2006, 09:48 PM
Post #3

Had an uncle who would tie us up with rope and chat with Mom and Dad as we worked our way lose. *muses* We'd go back and ask that he do it again! laugh.gif

Are all children insane or is it just the sugar laden junk we feed them?

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 2 2006, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

All children are insane. I wasn't allowed junk food until I was 5, and I was still crazy.

My mom used to have me help her bake stuff when I was that age. Apparently I loved sitting on the counter and helping to measure out cups of flour and stuff. It can be a bit messy, but my sisters and I all loved doing it and it kept us busy for hours.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 3 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #5

The library is having a pinata raffle to raise money. I thought that might be a good bit of mucky fun. A three year old can easily rip up newspaper and slap strips of gooey paper on a balloon. I thought I'd blow up two balloons and do a giant bumble bee. We can decorate it with crepe paper streamers in yellow and black. Cheap, active, mucky, and easy to clean up the lino floor afterwards. Flour & water wash up without much fuss.

Her Mom is also thoughtfully providing a backpack of kiddo amusements.

Should be a fun.
*Flashbacks to Mata's hallowe'en babysitter animation*
Should be. unsure.gif

wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 4 2006, 06:47 AM
Post #6

Kiddo was a bit horrified at the garbage producing tendencies of her nearly aunt.

Aunty ripped up paper! Aunty made newspaper into trash! No! We were NOT going to glue trash to a perfectly lovely balloon. No! Aunty wasn't allowed the last piece of newspaper. It was just not right to rip newspaper into trash. Aunty should get a plastic sac and clean up! Right now! laugh.gif

No pinata but a fun time none the less. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Mar 6 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #7

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

I'm glad it all worked out. smile.gif I was apparently easy to entertain, as Mom would just fill the sink with soapy water and let me pick up bits of bubbles. Supposedly I was "making tea for Peter Rabbit." My other big pasttime was gluing dried beans to paper.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 13 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #8

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Lego! You can't beat Lego for hours of amusement. That's what my parents used to do with me and my brother.

1 big bucket of Lego+ Cath and bro = hours of quiet. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 13 2006, 09:45 PM
Post #9

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

The problem with kids isn't so much keeping them amused, it's more having enough 'stuff' to keep them going.

My little boy is coming up to three and he has the shortest attention span. One minute it's Thomas the Tank Engine, then Bob the Builder THEN Dora the Explorer (thank God that's edumacational). He wants juice and a biscuit and to put his shoes on and then to play with the train set - no, wait - the cars - no, wait - Bob toys - no, wait - put the Bob toy IN the car and then drive on the train set... and so on and so forth.

Sometimes I get tired just typing about it. smile.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Apr 1 2006, 10:43 AM
Post #10

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 13 2006, 05:41 PM)
Lego! You can't beat Lego for hours of amusement. That's what my parents used to do with me and my brother.

1 big bucket of Lego+ Cath and bro = hours of quiet. biggrin.gif

Lego is the way forward , I still play with mine now smile.gif

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 08:14 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!