IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Damn Hard Is It to Install a Faucet?!, You might get a kick out of this one.
Righteous
post Mar 10 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

EDIT: Faucet = Tap = Sink fixture (thanks, Little_bear)

The installation of an American Standard kitchen faucet by Ri Douglas and Broox DVS.

Day 1
I was hanging out with my bandmate Broox and his wife and baby at his parents' pad (they're there until they can get a lease on an apartment). There was a handydude there installing a brand new American Standard kitchen faucet. He came in and told us that they had to call a professional plumber because the faucet was too much for his mighty handydude capabilities. Now, I've done a little construction here and there for about eight years (including plumbing), so I figured I'd take a look (constructos do this a lot). After some thinking, I asked Broox's mom if she had an adjustable wrench. A half hour later (not counting cig breaks), I had the whole thing dismantled and ready for removal. Now, he has one of those faucets with the removable head and those longs-ass hoses. I didn't really think to remove it before attempting to yank the damn thing out until it was suggested to my by Broox's wife. I went to take the weight off and found that the two parts had corroded shut. After Broox's wife attempted to remove it with a hacksaw, I figured we'd end there since I had to get a few more tools anyway.

Day 2
With the help of my trustee boltcutters, I removed the hose and with a huge tube of really drippy putty/sealant, I attatched the faucet securely to the sink. biggrin.gif I went to hook up the supply lines and ran into a bit of a problem. The hot water hooked up perfectly. The boys at American Standard were able to make a faucet to be installed by your average homeowner so long as they're under perfect conditions, much like the hot water supply. The problem was that there was a water purifier whose outlet was half an inch wide when I needed it to be three-eighths inches wide. Broox and I went and got what we thought was it. Instead, we ended up with two three-eighths inch female connectors (if you know anything about human anatomy, you should be able to figure this one out). Since it was too late to go to the hardware store, we called it a night, not before discovering that some of the putty had dripped into my hair. It hurt like Hell brushing that stuff out in the shower. And the morale of the evening wasn't helped by Broox and his wife acting like those two old guys from the Muppets making fun of me whenever I bumped my head or said, "Aw, yeah. Presto, bitch! Wait, dammit! Nevermind!"

Day 3
After class today, Broox picked me up and we went to get a coupling. We explained our situation to the dude, who gave us the wrong coupling. So we went back, except this time, Broox's wife demanded that she come too. We scoured around the place looking for the kind of coupling we figured out we needed. It wasn't there, so we went to another place, got the damn coupling (after determining that we should never bring our wives or girlfriends to hardware places), went back to his place, installed it and, presto, the sink works. I went home to sleep and just as I fell asleep, my phone rang. "Hey, Broox...What do you mean there's a leak?"

blink.gif

So the sink works, but the valve leaks. Such is my luck, eh?

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Mar 10 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

A what?

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 10 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (Mutilation @ Mar 10 2006, 11:25 AM)
A what?

American Standard is a brand of plumbing fixtures, including faucets. A faucet is the thing attatched to a sink that dispenses water. A hacksaw is a cutting tool often used to cut pipe. Boltcutters are tools used to cut chains, cables and similar items. A water purifier is a device used to remove impurities from drinking water. A coupling is a piece of metal used to connect two pipes with female connectors at the ends.

Anything else need clarification?

EDIT: Broox called. He fixed the leak. Go Broox.

--------------------

+Quote Post
little_bear
post Mar 10 2006, 05:04 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,378

Dude, faucets are called "taps" in the UK, hence the confusion.

--------------------
People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 10 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #5

Shut up, noob!

Really? I never knew that. I had to fight the urge to put "fixture" everytime because that's what I'm used to saying: sink fixture, bath fixture and shower fixture.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Mar 11 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #6

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

My various handyman relatives (including my grandfather, who could fix the space shuttle with all the tools he has tongue.gif ) seem to say faucet and tap interchangably. I seem to have picked up the habit from them.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
Snugglebum the D...
post Mar 11 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #7

F*cking with the best since 1996

Member No.: 962

I'm British and tend to call it a faucet when I'm fixing it but a tap otherwise?

Dad's a builder by trade, perhaps that's it?

Either way I'm damn handy with a spanner! smile.gif

--------------------
Art should be an expression of what humanity is capable of imagining - not limited to representing that which surrounds us - Demetrios Vakras
funked)out_frog is my special Harem slave
Harem count: Markslut, xkitsurabamix, Black - Wings, Candice, Moop, Daedalus, The Lorax, Franken - Sarah, Artemisia, Cath, Wyvern, Saucy Tara, PsychWardMike, JimiJimi, Fallen Element, Smiler, Korbin Dallas, laenan kite, Valerie, Faerieryn, trunk_girl26, Sir Psycho Sexy, Steam Roxxor, pgrmdave, monkey_called_narth

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 11 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #8

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Mar 11 2006, 04:11 PM)
I'm British and tend to call it a faucet when I'm fixing it but a tap otherwise? 

Hmm...

"Get me some water from the faucet."
"I still have to fix the leaky faucet."
"I installed sink fixtures in two bathrooms and the kitchen."

My old man's a builder by trade, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Mar 11 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #9

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

"Go get some tap-water"
"The sink is blocked"
"I have a tape-worm"

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 12 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #10

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (Mutilation @ Mar 12 2006, 12:34 AM)
"Go get some tap-water"
"The sink is blocked"
"I have a tape-worm"

Heh heh heh biggrin.gif
/spam

I call it a tap, ahve alway called it a tap, and have no relatives who work/ worked in construction. Apart from my step-dad who can fix anything.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
damaged_roses
post Mar 17 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #11

Crossing the thin line that seperates hyper from mentally ill.

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,244

Did you ever fix your tap? (faucet, fixture, I DON'T CARE!) You know, you could always call a plumber; that's what we did when I hit the toilet with a sledgehammer. (ha ha just kidding)

--------------------
And my crystal tears fall, like so many broken spirits. A raven gazes at me from its perch in a dead tree. It lets out bloodcurdling caw, chilling me to the bone. I take no notice of my surroundings, though. I am too wrought with grief. Why did my cheese run away?!

+Quote Post
Righteous
post Mar 18 2006, 12:17 AM
Post #12

Shut up, noob!

I could call a plumber, but it would have been a waste of money. If not for the random mishaps, it would have been a simple procedure. People can save a lot of money with a few tools and some basic mechanical knoledge. I'm not mechanically inclined, nor do I have any particular credentials, but by myself or with the help of my boys, I can pull off basic home improvements or repairs. Contractors of all type go to the same hardware stores as the average dude; it's not like everything they do is amazing. Now, I'm not saying that a homeowner doesn't need to call a professional if his water main bursts, but you don't need to pay out the nose for a leaky valve when you can just replace it by yourself.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 12:47 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!