IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question for those who have step-parents...
FeralPolyglot
post Mar 17 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #1

=^^= ~~

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,690

I wasn't sure exactly where to put this so I stuck it here. Yesterday, my step-mom and I had a long-overdue conversation during the course of which she told me a lot of how she feels about some things.

As to save you from me yapping your ears to rags, I'll get to the question/point of this post. If you or someone you know has step parents, what does the step-child call the step-parent? Do they refer to her/him as Mom/Dad? Do they use their first name?

Just curious on how other members of "integrated" families assign appellations.

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Mar 17 2006, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

QUOTE (FeralPolyglot @ Mar 17 2006, 08:10 PM)
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this so I stuck it here.  Yesterday, my step-mom and I had a long-overdue conversation during the course of which she told me a lot of how she feels about some things. 

As to save you from me yapping your ears to rags, I'll get to the question/point of this post.  If you or someone you know has step parents, what does the step-child call the step-parent?  Do they refer to her/him as Mom/Dad?  Do they use their first name? 

I have both a step father and mother and have had 2 previous step fathers, I have refered to them all by their names.

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post Mar 17 2006, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

I have a step mother, a step father and two step grandmothers.

I truly dislike my stepfather, so I refuse to call him "Dad" or any variation thereof, so I call him Eddie. They've never pressed the issue.

I call my stepmother Ms. Sandy because my father told me to when we first met about 12 years ago, because he called his stepmother Ms. Rita, and I guess he found it proper.

My step grandmothers are stange, I guess. The one, I just call Susan, but her husband, my real grandfather, I call Dadin, and his first wife, my real grandmother, I call Mams. So I don't have conventional names for my grandparents anyway. The other one I call Meemaw, but that's because it goes with Papaw so nicely.

It's really up to you to decide what you want to call your stepmother, but if you like her and she has a preference, maybe it'd be better to do as she wants.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 17 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I call my step-dad by his name. He and my mum aren't married, and I could call him dad if I wanted to. But I don't see "dad" as what you call a father figure, I see it as a person, which makes me not want to call my step-dad "dad". I also call his parents by their names.

It is odd though. I have known my step-dad and his parents since I was born- he was friends with my dad since they were 14ish, and has always been "part" of the family. (Its funny how things turn out in the end...)
Thats mainly why I just call him by his name, as he has always been known as that.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
zivane
post Mar 17 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #5

Goddess of Purple Froot Loops

From: various, Jacksonville, Florida, USA, Earth, solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Member No.: 1,682

I called my mother's third husband by Dad. Then again, I never really knew any of the previous so it made sense.

--------------------
hawtt?! perfect ^.^

niao! ^.^ mr. cheeseiemooseys n00b - kinda, eh?

t3h uber 1337 LJ monster Little Gamers Web Comic My Space

+Quote Post
MrRandomQuotes
post Mar 20 2006, 01:10 AM
Post #6

Fear me randomness

Member No.: 2,047

I call my step mum and dad by their first name. But then I also cal my mum by her first name (we've never been that close). My grandparents and my dad all get called normal things (ie dad, nan ect)

I guess it just depends on when thy come into your life. *shrugs*

--------------------
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We're afraid.”
“Come to the edge.”
“We can't. We will fall!”
“Come to the edge.”
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

Remember, be yourself. Unless you suck.

Imitation is the highest form of praise.

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Mar 20 2006, 01:35 AM
Post #7

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I never found it weird to call your step parents by their first names. I've never had a step parent, but unless they really did take the place of a boilogical parent, then I would probably call them mum/dad.

I have alternate parents, they're my best friends parents and are always there for me if I need them, and they treat me like their own daughter. I call one of them Mum, but thats mostly because thats what most people call her. The other one I dont call anything because when we talk, its a mutual thing, not a "HEY!" thing.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Mar 20 2006, 03:28 PM
Post #8

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Yeah, I call my stepfather by his first name as well. Seemed a whole lot less awkward than trying a kinship title by this stage of my life.

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 22 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #9

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

I use my stepmother's first name when addressing her. I will NEVER call her mother but that's another story.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Ign355
post Mar 24 2006, 05:54 PM
Post #10

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,275

QUOTE (FeralPolyglot @ Mar 17 2006, 12:10 PM)
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this so I stuck it here.  Yesterday, my step-mom and I had a long-overdue conversation during the course of which she told me a lot of how she feels about some things. 

As to save you from me yapping your ears to rags, I'll get to the question/point of this post.  If you or someone you know has step parents, what does the step-child call the step-parent?  Do they refer to her/him as Mom/Dad?  Do they use their first name? 

it all really depends on how well or close u feel, because ive had 3 step mothers blink.gif and the first i called by her first name, we were never close, the second and third ones i called mom, because i was more close to them and understood them. i hope that helps you

--------------------
---> | The Leach | <---

"Leave behind what you have, to persue your ideals" - DL

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Mar 25 2006, 03:37 PM
Post #11

My direction

Member No.: 495

I call my dad's partner Mim and my mum's Steve. Neither of them are step-parents, but in the event of either of the couples getting married, I will continue to call them Mim and Steve. Without teenage angst - why should I call them Mum or Dad? They aren't my parents, my parents are both still around, and tbh, they don't exactly perform the roles of parents. It would be an incorrect label.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
The Travis
post Mar 28 2006, 05:54 AM
Post #12

Worrying

Member No.: 2,131

I was forced to call my step-mom "mom". Holy hell, I hated it every time I said it. But that's probably only because she was Satan and evil in every way.

I say it's up to you. Whatever you feel comfortable with. And if someone has a problem with it, I'll punch their head off and eat their face.

<3

--------------------
What do you mean you don't know me? I'm in IRC all the time.
QUOTE(The Lorax @ Jan 12 2006, 11:51 PM)
QUOTE(The Travis @ Dec 29 2005, 05:52 PM)
HAY GUYS WUTS GOIN ON IN TEH INTRANET!!!???!?!??!??!?!?!???!??[right][snapback]327211[/snapback][/right]
I. Love. You.

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post Mar 28 2006, 07:28 AM
Post #13

=^^= ~~

Member No.: 1,690

Aww, thanks The_Travis. smile.gif

Well, I'm still interested in hearing what people have to say but I'll say what I've been doing with my step-parents. I started out calling my first step-father by his first name but then my mom suggested calling him Dad so me and my sister did. Then when they divorced I went back to referring to him by his first name (though I haven't seen him in five years or more.) I've always called my step-mother by her first name but that may be because in part I didn't exactly fancy her too much back when I was in High School. My mom's current husband will always be referred to by his first name because they just married in June and I don't know him well enough to call him much else.

Thank-you, everyone, for your contributions. It's interesting to get a glimpse of how other families' relationships are managed. happy.gif

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Mar 29 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #14

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

When my Dad married Gill back in 1997 I made a comment at the wedding about having to call her my step mum now and if looks could kill I'd not be around to type this. Basically I don't think she likes the idea of being anything other than a wife to Dad. Fair enough. She's not my Mum and never will be and I don't think that dynamic was ever going to happen and we're both happy with that as far as I'm aware. I just call her Gill but I call her my step mum to people when I'm explaining to avoid confusion. I don't have a real Mum anymore so it is a shame that she's not more proactive in that area sad.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 30 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #15

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Although I call Keith, Keith, to people who I am explaining things to it is easier to call him my step-dad; even though he and my mum aren't married. It just sounds more definitive and mature than "mum's boyfriend"- and "mum's other half" intonates she isn't a whole without him!

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
B.wicked
post Mar 30 2006, 11:51 AM
Post #16

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,293

that would be up the child if you care for the step parent and dont mind calling them mother/father then go for it , but if it makes you unesy then first name basis is how i would go

--------------------
im dirty i reak of depression , your happiness is my only obsecession.

+Quote Post
Cassidy
post Mar 31 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #17

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,498

I call my step dad by his name; Bill; because my dad was a bastard and I will not assiciate the word dad to the nice guy who is my stepdad....
My brother does not remember much about our dad and still has a relationship with him and also calls Bill dad...so my brother now calls two people dad...
my head hurts so I am going to lie down now

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 01:18 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!