IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Move to Manchester, I really should bite the bullet!
Wyvern
post Mar 28 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #1

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes the bug

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,348

Ok, so my apologies if this turns out to be a completely pointless topic or just blatantly in the wrong place but here goes.

Infact should it be in personal concerns I'm never sure? unsure.gif

I currently live at home with my parents, having moved out and back twice to my intense shame. My room is easily described as a shoebox and personal space although a damn site better than many people all over the world is nigh on none existant.

In a nutshell I'm going absolutely nuts, I find myself reverting to habits I thought long dealt with and dead with accompanying mood swings that make a seesaw look even. For a long while Madame Cath and I have been discussing house sharing and it has many, many bonuses, it is infact a fantastic idea.

Now comes my problem, Madame Cath works in Manchester, therefore to co-habit I must transfer myself to Manchester fairly simple you would say and yes, yes it is terrifyingly simple. My current job although the people are superb is a dead-end, the opportunity to transfer across departments is just not happening. Fair enough but then the promotion I've been happily training to apply for has been neatly taken away from me by a new council regulation (note I work for the council thats how come it affects me just in case you all go what the...?). Even with all the training I live in the wrong zone and even should I apply, bearing in mind thats why they spent 6 months training me I won't get it. Likewise I can't apply for a transfer or any position within several levels of my current one for the same reasons...neatly out manouvered me? Oh aye indeed! dry.gif

Again simple answer apply for a new job in Manchester and move...but I'm stuck I can't afford to move without a job over there, but should I get one I can't start till I have a place to live, which I can't do without enough money to set myself up introducing need the job first.
Aargh! My head feels like a twisty, tangly ball of wool! The mood swings do not help and oddly enough aren't helped by this either. My initial thought was to apply for a graduate loan as the interest rate is half what it will be should I leave applying for one till summer, in theory that would help get me up and running.

Now the problem, I've completely frozen. normally I jump at things like this anything for a challenge and I know the change will do me a damn site more good than harm all things considered. I find myself writing this post with an online application form waving at me and I can't fill it in ph34r.gif
So far this evening I have completely blitzed the kitchen, mopped every floor, done the laundry, cleaned the cooker, fed the dogs, recycled, folded newspapers (old ones at that)...absolutely everything except fill out an application. huh.gif
I know I should but none of the jobs are in the arts or museums as I'd prefer even though they pay so much more than I'm currently on and I can do them pretty much with my eyes shut, probably even enjoy the the change they'd provide until I can get myself on my feet and into something more inline with my dreams. I keep thinking what if? but what ifs are hopeless and keep me stuck where I am, which is not a happy place. sad.gif

I know I should do it but everything seems so big and daunting, so many things could go wrong and with my luck recently probably will but I need to do it and I can't seem to get past this block.
I know this smacks a fair bit of attention grabbing, coming on here and posting this but having bounced it off the people I know and still finding myself completely unable to act even though they are actively supporting me I thought if I at least aired it with you lot you'd kick me into gear. Any help would be appreciated right now, be it suggestions for places to look or just a plain, straight forward kick up the rear please don't hold back I need it! Should the opportunity to give a young eager to learn Wyvern a bit of your collective wisdom not appeal please consider the pity vote... I don't think I can walk past that ironing basket once more without doing something and believe me its a BIG ironing basket and its overflowing with four peoples worth of stuff, please if I do...... huh.gif blink.gif ph34r.gif

please save me

This post has been edited by Wyvern: Mar 28 2006, 07:34 PM

--------------------
[CENTER]Proud participator in the Noob adoption sharing scheme.
Trial specimen: Raevnkite.
Progress:Progressing Nicely

Tribe Wyvern:Come visit!
Im Irishguys Pockety Pet!!!
[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 28 2006, 08:37 PM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I say do it! Go ahead and get the loan to help you get out on your own. You're more than capable of getting a job in Manchester to pay it back.

If I can get up the courage to move to a new country, you can definitely make yourself move to a new city! You are much braver than me, so I know you can do it. smile.gif

*hugs and hides the ironing*

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Mar 28 2006, 09:26 PM
Post #3

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

I worked in Manchester until recently and if you sign up at an agency I'm sure you'll be able to get something temporary until something permanent comes along.

There are next to no jobs in the arts or museums. As with most hard-to-get-into industries, it's not what you know it's who you know sad.gif

There are lots of jobs ooop North though. You could start looking for somewhere to live. That's not hard. Finding somewhere you can afford that isn't in the middle of somewhere ropey will be the hard bit. Manchester can be a little expensive compared to most of the North as it's quite cosmopolitan.

Something is obviously making you hesitate for a reason. Think long and hard about what that thing might be rather than wondering whether you should move. You might find there is a reason for staying put? I was under the impression that Cath lived nearer Liverpool than Manchester tho?? unsure.gif *looks for Cath for advice*

Having said that I am really not trying to put you off smile.gif Manchester is cool as is Liverpool (which you'll find at the meet). Good luck but I'm sure you won't need it!!

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Mar 29 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #4

I worked out what was making me hesitate so much, mainly loyalty to my current colleagues not wanting to leave them stuck until a new supervisor can be trained up. I spoke to them and they all want me to go, they think its a fantastic idea nad having done a few bits of working out in my head I reckon I'm about ready to start moving forward.

As for a job in the arts or museums it isn't my most immediate concern I just want a job which will enable me to do my own art work which I can't do now due to space. I'm more than happy to do a completely unrelated job as long as I can still paint in my spare time I'm happy. Besides that once I'm settled I'm going to learn to drive and then commuting to Liverpool and surrounding areas won't be as awkward...long term planning that wink.gif

--------------------

[/CENTER]
Maps alter your perceptions, confuse your mind and make familiar things seem very strange and thats before you unpack the compass...

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Mar 30 2006, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

That loyalty's a bummer. I stayed an extra six months in my last job just so that i wouldn't leave my manager in the lurch (there were only two of us trained). It's the most noble sentiment but it can drag you down. By the sounds of it your colleagues understand. Would they do the same?
Its hectically daunting but you know that there are safety nets, it'll just be a bigger fall, but still a safeish one. The agencies should easily help for both office and cutomer service jobs to. You might even be able to register in Notts for some of the bigger firms, adn most have websites listing local jobs. It'd be a sinch smile.gif
Jump if you want, you might enjoy it wink.gif

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 30 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #6

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Mar 28 2006, 10:26 PM)
Something is obviously making you hesitate for a reason.  Think long and hard about what that thing might be rather than wondering whether you should move.  You might find there is a reason for staying put?  I was under the impression that Cath lived nearer Liverpool than Manchester tho?? unsure.gif *looks for Cath for advice*

Live near Liverpool work in Manchester at the moment bit of a commute. So looking to move to or closer to Manchester wont really save me much cash but will save a few hours stuck in a fraffic jam which'd be nice.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Mar 30 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #7

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Wyvern @ Mar 28 2006, 07:31 PM)

I currently live at home with my parents, having moved out and back twice to my intense shame. My room is easily described as a shoebox and personal space although a damn site better than many people all over the world is nigh on none existant.

In a nutshell I'm going absolutely nuts, I find myself reverting to habits I thought long dealt with and dead with accompanying mood swings that make a seesaw look even. For a long while Madame Cath and I have been discussing house sharing and it has many, many bonuses, it is infact a fantastic idea.
please save me

Heya Wvyern, never spoken to you before. but here we go.

The fall back to parents, alot of us have it few of us use it. But simply it is there, when we are there we fall into bad habits, but that's life. I have fallen back once, and vowed never to do it again, but would if i have to it's the safe reliable option (and generally a good choice when the shit hits the fan).

Moving away, well yes there are risks. New job, new city, new home. Can you live with Cath (omg who can't live with that raving nympo .....(oops did i say that out loud laugh.gif )).

The thing you need to think about is the repayments on the loan, i don't doubt that you can't get a good job within a 1 month's time, even if as Pixie said it's a with a temp agency. But as from my personal situation then i think you can do it, i have been applying for the council in Cardiff for 6 months and they keep shooting down my applications ...even though i can do the job with my hands tied behind my back.

Working for the council is a hard gig to get, gettting another skilled job after them is easy. And as i have said if it does go pear shaped, there is always moving back home. You have nothing to lose, but a job your bored of! And everything to gain .....OMG living with CATH!!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Stardust_Smile
post Mar 31 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #8

x.Faeries Do It Better.x

Member No.: 2,101

*Hugs*

Well you already know I think you should jump at the chance and go for it hun...You've got plenty of people who are completely supporting you in your decisions and they'll be happy for you wherever you choose to go smile.gif

And look at it this way...you get to wreak havoc on a new area AND you get to live with Cath! Fantastic opportunity I say! biggrin.gif

--------------------
*~*Megsy*~*
The Ickle Adoptee of Smiler Yarr! SMILE! :D

You've Just Been SPANGLED!!!
***Ryn's leiutenant Spangler Yay!***

I'm Rad You're Rad - LETS HUG!!!
You Don't Need The Sun To Make You Shine
Her LiveJournal ~ & ~ Her Myspazz

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Mar 31 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #9

I've been brainwashed

*polishes her ego*

She knows what I think so I'll leave it at that. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Apr 3 2006, 06:08 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 30 2006, 02:30 PM)
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Mar 28 2006, 10:26 PM)

*looks for Cath for advice*

Live near Liverpool work in Manchester at the moment bit of a commute. So looking to move to or closer to Manchester wont really save me much cash but will save a few hours stuck in a fraffic jam which'd be nice.

Ahhh and taaa! biggrin.gif

Good luck Wyvern. You know I'm near Manchester too so you don't have to worry much about support smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Apr 12 2006, 08:59 PM
Post #11

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

Well hunny bunch you know I think you should go for it. I know from experience that Cath is a fabby (if a little bit nuts) house mate. It was when I was living with her that she introduced me to the forums AND if you move it will give me a whole new bunch of people to jump on during my five long weeks of summer holidays AND it puts you all neatly in the same area should I decide to say "screw you" to the south east of england. Enough of selfish Ryn, I think this is something that you want to do you are just nervous of doing it. If you fail it means going home to mum and dad for a third time. The thing is, you won't fail. There is not a snowballs chance in hell that you will not be able to give this idea a fair go. Besides you and Cath need somewhere to create your pirate bathroom!!!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jun 29 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #12

I thought it might be a good time for an update.

Well basically I've got a new job and I'm Moving!!!admittedly not to Manchester as originally planned but Liverpool isn't that far off really tongue.gif

I was starting to think no one wanted me I've sent out so many applications and not a peep!
However this Wednesday someone risked it and on the strength of a few sheets of word infested A4 I had my first interview for Business in the Arts:North West as a basic office, gopher person. 35 hrs a week and the money is fractionally better than what I'm on, the atmosphere of the place and the aims of the company just bowl me over.

They set me a short computer test which to my horror included three tasks, the first two I've never done in my life. I muddled my way through after having to confess in my first few minutes in the rooms that I hadn't a clue and managed to do just over half of it. Had half an hour of questions and traditional interviewy stuff and left thinking at least it was a good experience for next time.

Only took them two hours to decide and they picked me!!!
I finish my current job on July 13th and start the new one July 17th...I'm still in shock and so spoingy. blink.gif

Initial thought was they picked me?! me! followed by much happiness and then the panic stricken 2 weeks to find a home in a new city and find some suitable work clothes and sort stuff and...and...aaahhhh!
Tis a good Aaaaahhh but still so much to do, darkangels flat mates have offered to let me stay till I find a home of my ownsome but oh my its so fast I only sent the application off last week I'm still in shock.

But oh so happy! so much is going to change I'm still trying to work out were to start.
*scuttles off muttering about packing and boxes*

--------------------

[/CENTER]

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Jun 30 2006, 11:04 AM
Post #13

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

/me does Go Team Wyvern dance

Aww hunny, I'm real happy for you.

/me dances more

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Jun 30 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #14

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Hope you enjoy it Wyvern, make sure you look after my Cath!!.

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jul 1 2006, 09:07 PM
Post #15

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Member No.: 535

Yay Erin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Phone me!!!)

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Jul 19 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #16

SpaceHappy sir I shall most definately look after Madame Cath, shekeeps my soul in a little box and if I misbehave she withholds cookie crumbs and shakes it!!! sad.gif

Well I've survived my first few days in a new city and a new job, have to admit initially I've been a tad unsure to the point of down right home sick but that is slowly passing. Went up Liverpool cathedral's tower and looked out across the city on Saturday which was amazing so many interesting looking buildings which I now want to visit up close. There's certainly plenty of sketchbook fodder once I get myself settled a little more and confident enough to roam about.

The new job seems good although a complete change of pace from what I'm used to. Gone seems to be the chaotic hurtling around and people actually give me jobs with the intention of allowing me to see them through from start to finish! ohmy.gif

I reckno all in all once I'm home hunting I'll feel less unnerved and much more able to see this city as home.

Ryn m'dear as soon as I have the wonderous credit I shall indeed ring you.

--------------------

[/CENTER]

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jul 28 2006, 12:11 PM
Post #17

Yay Erin! I've worked with those guys before. Been on some of their courses too. How's it going? Where are you based in Liverpool? Anywhere near the museum? I'm working at World Museum at the moment smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post Aug 31 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #18

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jul 28 2006, 01:11 PM) *
Yay Erin! I've worked with those guys before. Been on some of their courses too. How's it going? Where are you based in Liverpool? Anywhere near the museum? I'm working at World Museum at the moment smile.gif

Eee...sorry I have taken so long to respond pixie m'dear internet access has been a tad interesting over the last few weeks. I'm based pretty much in the centre 'Duke Street' although we're looking to find new offices so perhaps not for long. I seem to be settling in pretty well, I've developed a thing for tidying things, the office has been tidied to within an inch of its life several times and now I've started on the archiving. Nothing better than stirring up ancient dust to feel like something is being achieved tongue.gif

You still at the world museum? Perhaps we could meet up sometime and harass the Cath? tongue.gif

Well all going well I'm collecting the keys to my new home this coming monday and van driver depending moving in on tuesday, in fact I shall be spending this weekend in Nottingham packing up the last of my stuff ready for transporting. It'll be so good to get into my own place and it is lovely. A two bedroom flat with seperate kitchen, bathroom and livingroom. on the third floor of a nice old house full of tall ceiling and character and being on the top that means no-one pacing around above me. I've been given free reign with the decorating which should be interesting and should anyone care to repeat the Liverpool meet in the future there is plenty of floor space on the offer, even if its only a few wayward souls. wink.gif

I'm settling slowly having very little internet time and limited phone use has made the occaisional bout of homesickness pretty nasty, especially missing Ulysses and his whiskery cuddles. Everyone's been lovely and I get over them quickly enough but still they've not been much fun but I'm thinking once I'm settled in a place of my own I won't feel quite so disjointed and I'll start to feel like I belong. tongue.gif

--------------------

[/CENTER]

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Sep 14 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #19

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Member No.: 1,379

YAY! Ok, week and a half in missy... we need updates wink.gif (not pushy really:p)

Hope all went smoothly. My Dad'll be home from his work in Kuwait fairly soon so as he's been away for four or five months I should go and see him wich will probably be in the city of the Liver birds. I shall bring the FaeriRyn and we'll house invade wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Wyvern
post May 21 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #20

Hey all

Thought it was about time I gave you a little update on Liverpool life and how thigs are going, especially as I've been so rude and just dropped of the radar for what feels like an age.

Well lets see...

The job is polling along although it certainly is not what it promised to be, in fact its been quite close to living hell. Although as with everything there have been highlights and fun on the whole it has been a continous drain wearing me down. I haven't picked up a paint brush in months or had the energy to even think about it and I lost track along time ago of how many nights I've come home and fallen asleep or cried until sleep seemed the only option. The job itself isn't so bad the company does an amazingly worthwhile job its just I have a nightmare boss - I have had some tough ones before but this one takes all prizes - enough said I'm leaving in July and I won't be looking back!

My little flat is finally coming together and feeling like home, most of the major redocoration is done its just the tweaking to finish things off - YEY!
Finally I have internet installed in my home so although I'm out of practice I can talk with peoples again and visit the wonderous and colourful world of matazone oh how I have missed it here! biggrin.gif

Lastly...well I'm not sure how to phrase it really and perhaps it should have gone at the start of this post or something but darkangel and I are expecting an addition to our homey little unit.
I am as of this Wednesday 25 weeks pregnant and starting to look distinctly rotund.
I feel a bit like I've been sneaking around not telling people but initially we weren't sure we could keep or raise a child. We only found out how far along I was at 16 weeks which was to put it mildly somewhat of a shock, several NHS complications and many, many sleepless nights on our emotional rollercoaster and there you have it our decision! tongue.gif

I would like to declare or give advance warning (your viewpoint depending) that sometime in early September the word is going to be blessed/inflicted (again delete as appropriate) with a mini Wyvern of as yet indeterminate gender and temprement. Please commence the stockpiling and organising of bunker supplies I look forward to the chaos! ph34r.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

[/CENTER]

+Quote Post
Moosh
post May 22 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #21

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Congratulations Wyvy!

What could be better than an even smaller version of yourself?

Roll on September.

And Congrats again.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 22 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #22

I've been brainwashed

And this is the reason I came along to highjak the meet thread to come to Liverpool before all hell brakes loose in our darling Wyverns life. tongue.gif

Ps. Dont care what Darkangel says it still getting the noisest messest toy I can find. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post May 22 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #23

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Ok...that's just weird, my sister is similarly pregnant, around the same amount of weeks in...they're also considering Erin as a name...yeah...weird...

*imagines any child Wyvern having being about the same size as a baby ewok...*

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 22 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #24

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Congratulations!

As a side note: does this mean you could take maternal leave and get paid to not do a job that you want to leave anyway? Cool...

Sorry the job didn't work out, but the future has thrown you an interesting curve ball. I'm sure you'll have a fantastic child. Or an accountant (it's got to be able to rebel somehow).

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 23 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #25

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Congratulations! Yay biggrin.gif Everyone is having babies at the moment.* Well... Two people I know, anyways. I was told that it is my "turn next to pop one out for the team". I reminded my friend that I have yet to turn 19.

*Yes, I realise that everyone has babies anyway...

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 07:50 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!