IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What does a Candice do for fun in an airport?, 8 hour layover! meep.
Phyllis
post Mar 28 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Candbrush Threepwood

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 345

As many of you already know, I'm moving to the UK this autumn. I went ahead and bought my airplane ticket today, because it is half the price that I had budgeted (and, well, mostly I just got antsy).

So it looks like I will be in Atlanta for 8 hours on Halloween. I decided to start gathering ideas now so that I have plenty to choose from.

Mind you, I cannot drive, so renting a car or anything like that is out of the question. I would also like to not be kicked out by security. How the crap am I going to keep myself sane in an airport for 8 hours? blink.gif Ideas, anyone?

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Mar 28 2006, 10:23 PM
Post #2

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

...Sleep?

Or, if you want to make some money while you're waiting, you could sketch portraits of other people at the airport and charge $10 a sketch. Oh, get your money before you show them the portrait. (unless you're good at drawing)

Also, some airports have gardens for the people to walk around in while they wait. At least, the one in South Carolina did.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Mar 28 2006, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

I have no idea..But if someone could also post some ideas on how to stay sane on an airplane for 9 hours when I'm leaving for Germany on May 15th that'd be good. (Yay! out of school a week and a half early!) Well ideas other than listen to music, which I am definatly going to be doing for a good time of the trip.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post Mar 28 2006, 10:39 PM
Post #4

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

Seriously, if anyone has ideas I'd like to hear them too - I've an 11 hour layover in London Gatwick. Twice.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 28 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #5

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 28 2006, 02:33 PM)
But if someone could also post some ideas on how to stay sane on an airplane for 9 hours

Flights that long usually have movies. I never had much of a problem with flights (I live on the west coast so the flight to the UK is kinda long). It's airports that I get bored in.

I've never been to an airport that had a garden! Though I've only been to...uhm...5. And I didn't have time to see if Chicago had anything worth looking at because I had to literally run to reach my flight. Stupid customs taking forever.

I don't think I could sleep. I am paranoid about sleeping in public. Plus...I snore.

I guess I could try to get lost. That kept me busy for 3 out of 4 hours in San Francisco last summer. They were doing construction and finding the international terminal was...interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Mar 28 2006, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Germany > Spain...

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 28 2006, 05:40 PM)
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 28 2006, 02:33 PM)
But if someone could also post some ideas on how to stay sane on an airplane for 9 hours

Flights that long usually have movies.

Airplane movies are usually extremely boring..I hope they have the individual T.V's put into the back of the seat in front of you, even if there's nothing worth watching. I'll probaly end up sleeping during most of the flight (To be prepared for the time difference) but it's going to be REALLY hard to ge to sleep...I've seen way too many movies of planes crashing, and I don't think that one episode of Supernatural helped when they had to preform and exercism in the middle of a flight.And if the plane does crash, I don't think I'd want to die sleeping!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Mar 28 2006, 11:14 PM
Post #7

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 28 2006, 10:54 PM)
I've seen way too many movies of planes crashing, and I don't think that one episode of Supernatural helped when they had to preform and exercism in the middle of a flight.And if the plane does crash, I don't think I'd want to die sleeping!

Air is still the safest way to travel y'know.

On the other note, get a really good long book. If all American airports are the same as San Francisco Cand, you're screwed, on that same token Missy, you'll have a nice surprise, lots of shops to look around and places to eat...though I might be thinking of Heathrow...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Mar 28 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #8

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

Find a stranger who looks like they are waiting and who looks friendly, and talk to them. It's always amazing what kinds of people you can meet when you do stuff like that. Introduce yourself, and ask them if they've got a long wait. Talk about where you're going and ask them where they're going. If possible, ask many questions and get them to talk about themselves (most people LOVE to talk about themselves). It can be fascinating.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 28 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Mar 28 2006, 03:14 PM)
If all American airports are the same as San Francisco Cand, you're screwed, on that same token Missy, you'll have a nice surprise, lots of shops to look around and places to eat...though I might be thinking of Heathrow...

They aren't. They're all different, just like all states are different. tongue.gif

I haven't been to Gatwick yet (flying into there this time), but Heathrow did have lots of shops once I went through security. I wasn't bored there. O'Hare looked vaguely similar, but like I said before it was kind of a blur!

My mom brought up something I hadn't thought of. Hurricanes. In my nice little Pacific Northwestern world, we don't have such things. The most we have is the occasional torrential rain that causes it to flood a little. I hadn't even considered the possibility. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Mar 29 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #10

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

http://www.uscensusrecords.net/georgia-census.gif

Even if there IS a hurricane (which I personally don't see happening) Atlanta is pretty far away from the ocean- they may just re-route your flight. (They do that, right? I've only been on a plane when I was two)

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 29 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #11

Candbrush Threepwood

Oho...that's true. It is quite far away from the ocean! I'm afraid I have absolutely no knowledge about city locations outside of the west coast. I know which states the cities are in, but pointing to them on a blank map of the state? Not likely.

Okay. Unparanoid now. Thanks Voices. smile.gif

Now I need to figure out how long it is until I leave in hours, so I can bug Witless. evil.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 29 2006, 01:25 AM
Post #12

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

If there's a small table I'd suggest a deck of cards. Sometimes you can start up card games with people also stuck on a long layover.
Book(s), laptop for writing/games/e-mail (if there's a connection somewhere)

People watching.
How often do men open doors for women nowadays? Park yourself by a doorway and count. I amused myself for a 1/2 - 1 hour once that way. 'Course it was also for school credit.

Wandering lost through the airport is good.

Are there buses away and back? Can you go off to a restaurant or shops for a bit? Is there anyone you know in the area that you can arrange to come get you and take you off to see the city?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 29 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #13

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Here is what I would do, which probably won't work...

Crossword puzzles. Any type of puzzles.

Buy yourself food and drink. I say whatever the heck you want since you're waiting. When I was traveling alone via plane for the first time, I soothed myself by getting as many damn Starbucks drinks as I wanted. But then again you've probably already been through this because you're adults and stuff. oops.

Reading! biggrin.gif Or I'd write letters and notes, and certainly listen to music. Talking to other people might help too. Cards. Solitaire. Hmmm. 'fraid I can't think of too much else at the moment other than shopping. But I've lived through some long delays - not quite 8 hours, though. Best of luck. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Tigersong
post Mar 29 2006, 01:51 AM
Post #14

Rabid Saskatchewanian

Member No.: 752

Find a public bathroom and break lent repeatedly.

--------------------
At the Left Hand of God

OMFG STEAM R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE111!
Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. Thou shalt do it standing up.
Dominating Aries, e-hubby, since 2004.

+Quote Post
Witless
post Mar 29 2006, 01:52 AM
Post #15

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

QUOTE (candice @ Mar 29 2006, 01:10 AM)
Now I need to figure out how long it is until I leave in hours, so I can bug Witless.  evil.gif

People never believe Cand is evil.. yet the evidence shows itself so often...

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Mar 29 2006, 03:40 AM
Post #16

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

If they have the glass rooms for the smokers like the did in Nashville, go up to them and stare at all the people smoking. It would rock if you took a dry erase pen and drew pictures for them to look at through their clouds of smoke. Yup yup sounds like a plan to me.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Mar 29 2006, 06:01 AM
Post #17

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

heh... sme smoking booths can be fun at times, but only if you smoke. *blinks*

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Mar 29 2006, 01:01 PM
Post #18

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

The Atlanta airport has no garden. The Atlanta airport has the soul of an un-washed sock. I suggest bringing a book or a laptop. If you bring a laptop, there are places you can plug it in at. The free wi-fi was taken out the last time I was there, though, so don't count on internet. I'd download some good old Nintendo ROMs, or something to that effect. In an 8 hour layover you could probably beat one of the early Final Fantasy games easily. smile.gif

Voices, were you referring to the garden in the Greenville/Spartanburg International Airport (GSP), by any chance? I've spent a good chunk of my life running around that garden while waiting for relatives to land for family reunions. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 29 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #19

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Take a broadsheet newspaper, cut eye holes in it, and see what people say. Or just talk to people and tell them you are related to royalty. I once told someone I was the third Duchess of Toulouse, and they believed me.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 29 2006, 01:49 PM
Post #20

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I once spent six hours in the airport in Las Vegas (note to self: when in Vegas, distract mother so she does not see 60-foot neon nipples) and I can safely say that it's not so bad. Take a nap. Bask in the fact that you don't have to run and catch a plane right away. Eat food. If you're adventurous, try going into an airport restaurant (they nearly all have Olive Gardens or some such place) and asking if you can see the kitchen. Make friends with the chef. Find a stationary store and buy small candies to give to the flight attendents once you get on the plane (they get so excited when recognized and thanked). Buy trashy magazines and talk to overweight women about Sandra Bullock. Or, if you're a little more shy, bring work.

Perhaps I'm freakish, but I like airports. People who are travelling almost always have stories to tell, and the hideous decor means that the space is like a blank slate.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 29 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #21

Candbrush Threepwood

I should probably also note that I don't have a laptop, nor do I have any intention to purchase one before I go. I couldn't be bothered to figure out how to convert it from American to British power if I did. Plus there is a shiny shiny laptop waiting for me to stea--err...use...in the UK. biggrin.gif It belongs to moop, but I know that it really misses me.

I don't know if I'll be brave enough to talk to anyone. I will try really hard.. I hope that someone comes up and talks to me instead. I always say that I'm going to be brave and just randomly chat with strangers, but I can never seem to make myself do it with much success unless they start the conversation. Such a wimp.

Also, Geoff: I don't think I could break lent in a public restroom. I won't need to break lent, anyway. I will be on my way to real sex. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Mar 29 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #22

Germany > Spain...

I've thought of a way you can make some money other than by drawing people. If you' have any instruements, take them with you and start playing. You can use a guitar case to put money in, or if you don't have one, try a baseball cap.

If you're going to eat in an airport restarunt, I stronly suggest Olive Garden for two reasons.
1: The food is really good
2: It takes them forever to bring you you're food, so if you go there to eat, by the time you've actually received your food, you'll only have to wait another 7 hours. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 29 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #23

Candbrush Threepwood

QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Mar 29 2006, 12:28 PM)
I've thought of a way you can make some money other than by drawing people. If you' have any instruements, take them with you and start playing. You can use a guitar case to put money in, or if you don't have one, try a baseball cap.

Right. Because I really want to get kicked out of the airport for panhandling. Not to mention I clearly have enough room to take a freaking guitar case (with an instrument I don't own) when I'm moving all of my worldly possessions to a new continent. tongue.gif

I did mention I'm moving there, right? Not just visiting...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Mar 29 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #24

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

Hmm... I live about an hour (perhaps less) away from that airport, but I've never actually been there. My choir tour is flying from that airport this summer, though, so I'll try to remember the high and low points so I can tell you the details. I'll be taking a few books of sudoku, a handheld pencil sharpener, lots of fantasy books, and my CD player. You might try browsing whatever shops are there, as window shopping passes the time and you might actually find something.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Mar 30 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #25

My direction

Member No.: 495

Feed a random stranger a sob story about your only flight to see your poor sick mother being cancelled, and needing $500 to catch a new one. Then call Ste. You can spend 8 hours doing the equivalent of saying "So... whatcha up to?" every few minutes biggrin.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 07:13 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!