Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I have a website now, let me know what you think of it
Novander
post Apr 16 2006, 01:56 AM
Post #1

Take apart your head

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,599

Those of you who've been exploring the web recently may well have come across KittenAuth. It was made by my housemate and sometime forumite here, Oli. Because of the huge number of hits on his page, Oli had to move his site to a new server, meaning he suddenly had lots of free space for hosting. So as a thank you for spending an hour or so searching the web for pictures of kittens and other cute animals* he registered and hosts novander.com for me.

I wanted to do something a little creative with it. My first thought was some sort of webcomic, but then I remembered I can neither draw, nor tell three-panel jokes. So then I thought I'd just do some weird art stuff but I was once again reminded that I can't draw.

So I decided to take inspiration for things I like. A Softer World, for example. I like the way that Joey Comeau gets these photographs and turns them into something more. I wanted to do something like that. So what else do I like, I asked. The answer was simple: music.

And so, here it is: Novander.com, soon to be a collection of short stories, each inspired by the artwork from an album I like.

Please tell me what you think of it: all criticism is welcome, as long as it's constructive. It can be about the stories (well, story at the moment), about the website design, anything. Just tell me how I can make it better.

*It's a dirty job, but someone had to do it.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Apr 16 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I bet you didn't even know you were gay until you saw my picture.

That made me giggle quite a bit. biggrin.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Novander
post Apr 16 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #3

Take apart your head

QUOTE (candice @ Apr 16 2006, 11:31 PM)
That made me giggle quite a bit. biggrin.gif

You're quoting out of context... now it looks like I'm turning you off men. Ste'll beat me up!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Apr 17 2006, 01:54 AM
Post #4

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Nah, I am pretty sure that he knows I saw a picture of you before I went to the UK, so it's safe to say you didn't turn me off men.

However, I will beat you up if you don't get off the forums and get to work! How's that for motivation? evil.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 17 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #5

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The layout is clean, and the font is easy to read. Yep, it's a solid start to a website. It might be a bit early to start thinking about such things, but maybe use some blogging software to create the site. That way you don't have to upload a new page of static html every time you want to put something new online, instead you can fill in some nice little boxes and let the server worry about creating the programming. I like WordPress, but there are lots of other options.

http://wordpress.org/

Wordpress has the advantage that it is ridiculously easy to set up, it's free, and did I mention that it's ridiculously easy to set up? It also automatically produces a RSS feed for your site, handles image uploading, and other fun stuff.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Novander
post Apr 17 2006, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Take apart your head

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 17 2006, 09:56 AM)
maybe use some blogging software to create the site. That way you don't have to upload a new page of static html every time you want to put something new online, instead you can fill in some nice little boxes and let the server worry about creating the programming.

I've been using Dreamweaver to make the site, so I've got a template for the story pages made. Only requires a little copy'n'pasting to get a new story online. Probably still more work than WordPress, but I like the idea that it's all my own work.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 17 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #7

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ah, fair enough. Dreamweaver templates are rather lovely. I've built this site with them. They work very well until you have lots and lots of content, at which point they begin to show their limitations, but they're a great way to get started.

The new site that I'm building (and that is probably only a week or two away from going public) I've built to be entirely database driven using PHP. All the pages are created dynamically by the back-end input system and appear instantly and automatically when they're ready. It's dead posh! biggrin.gif More importantly, it takes all the effort out of updating things, and that's really nice.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 03:53 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!