Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New new new, I tihnk the clue's in the title
gingerpig
post Apr 23 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #1

Group: New Members
Member No.: 2,332

Hi all,

Noob from Berkshire, desperately avoiding a theoretical archaeology essay. I can feel the pull.... - btw the title is, "Whose past is it?" what would you guys say?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 23 2006, 11:26 AM
Post #2

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 197

"Whose Past is it?" Sounds like something Lloyd Grosman would be involved, daytime panel show. "Who would have a past like this?". Or maybe some comedy variation "Whose past is it anyway?".

...yeah ok, I'm avoiding work too...

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 23 2006, 01:21 PM
Post #3

What work you avoiding?

I like the lloyd Grossman style of answering, "who lives in a past like this" That would be great. Ugh actually now I have some kind of Lloyd Grossman and Adam Hart-Davies get together going on in my head, icky icky icky...

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Apr 23 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #4

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

Welcome to Matazone!

*hands you some string as string has twiney goodness*

How goes your essay?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 23 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (gingerpig @ Apr 23 2006, 02:21 PM) *
What work you avoiding?

4,000 word individual report for a group project which is worth about 1/3 of the final year of my degree.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 23 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Ashbless @ Apr 23 2006, 03:33 PM) *
Welcome to Matazone!

*hands you some string as string has twiney goodness*

How goes your essay?

380 words of complete gibberish later...

Twiney godness just serves to confuse me further, and my brains are all spiced out I'm afraid... Thanks for the welcome though!

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 23 2006, 03:37 PM) *
4,000 word individual report for a group project which is worth about 1/3 of the final year of my degree.

My essay is worth a third of a third for my MA, plus there's the dissertation. So it doesn't sound as if it's important as yours - plus it's only 3500 words. What's your degree? and any further on with the write-up?

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 23 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #7

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Grr...you guys just reminded me of the homework I'm procrastinating from...and this stupid D.A.R.E. essay that I've got to read in front of the school Wednesday.....

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 23 2006, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Being older I needed to look up D.A.R.E. Don't envy you, how "colourful" you going to make it?

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Apr 23 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #9

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

*duct-tapes gingerpig to ceiling* Don't worry, you'll fall down soon. I'm hiding from my physics homework because I don't understand it or want to do it. I'm having a great deal of trouble caring about the index of refraction.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 23 2006, 08:14 PM
Post #10

Hmmm duct playing hell with my carefully coiffured guinea pig fur.... Why to the ceiling anyhow? and why the duct tape? I gather it's a tradition around these parts.

Index of refraction *whoosh*

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 23 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #11

Germany > Spain...

QUOTE (gingerpig @ Apr 23 2006, 03:16 PM) *
Being older I needed to look up D.A.R.E. Don't envy you, how "colourful" you going to make it?

What do you mean by "How colorful you going to make it?"

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 23 2006, 09:36 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (gingerpig @ Apr 23 2006, 07:22 PM) *
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 23 2006, 03:37 PM) *

My essay is worth a third of a third for my MA, plus there's the dissertation. So it doesn't sound as if it's important as yours - plus it's only 3500 words. What's your degree? and any further on with the write-up?

So...it's worth a ninth? My degree is Sound Technology, it's....ok I suppose, I've not really done any other degrees to be able to rate it on a good/bad scale, though, I hope to never ever have to do another essay again, so it's not had a possitive affect on me. I'm over 2000 words in, it's going very slooooowlyyyyy...but surely, should be ok on the word count, of course, it'll be a load of wank. tongue.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, it's a BSc, with added (Hons).

--------------------

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 24 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 23 2006, 10:20 PM) *

Seemed like a subject you could embroider with lots of lurid details, but I guess that's probbaly not a very productive angle.

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 23 2006, 10:36 PM) *
it'll be a load of wank. tongue.gif

Edit: Oh yeah, it's a BSc, with added (Hons).

All the best stuff is. Honest.

My BSc had added hons too, I'm not sure if I got them as I only got a 2:2, but I still quote them sometimes.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 24 2006, 02:33 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (gingerpig @ Apr 24 2006, 01:06 PM) *
All the best stuff is. Honest.

My BSc had added hons too, I'm not sure if I got them as I only got a 2:2, but I still quote them sometimes.

Yeah, I'm probably looking at a 'Desmond' myself, but I can't say that prospect especially bothers me. Finished this morning at 6am btw with 3,977 words. I'm so hardcore. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 24 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #15

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Aren't you just tempted to say 'la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la', just to hit the 4k?

Hello Gp! The duct tape is so that you don't run away. We have a high drop-out rate, like most forums, so we try to stick people to teh ceiling to prevent their escape. It all makes sense now, doesn't it?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 24 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #16

Germany > Spain...

QUOTE (gingerpig @ Apr 24 2006, 08:06 AM) *
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 23 2006, 10:20 PM) *

Seemed like a subject you could embroider with lots of lurid details, but I guess that's probbaly not a very productive angle.

Actually I've already written it and turned it in, but when the school turned it in, the officer dude picked the one he liked best, the person gets to say it infront of the school. ph34r.gif Somehow mine got picked, and on Wednesday I have to read it. I didn't make it too negative...But I've flat-out got no clue how I won. People found out I was on the phone and Matazone the same time I wrote it, and are mad cause they tried really hard and I didn't. Oh well..

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 24 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 24 2006, 03:33 PM) *
Yeah, I'm probably looking at a 'Desmond' myself, but I can't say that prospect especially bothers me. Finished this morning at 6am btw with 3,977 words. I'm so hardcore. tongue.gif

That is pretty cool, congratulations! Bet it feels good to have it out the way. I'm considering an all nighter soon as well. I have this essay for next Tuesday, and then another one for the week after, so I'm kind of realising I need to do something. At some point soon would be nice.

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 24 2006, 06:15 PM) *
Aren't you just tempted to say 'la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la', just to hit the 4k?

Hello Gp! The duct tape is so that you don't run away. We have a high drop-out rate, like most forums, so we try to stick people to teh ceiling to prevent their escape. It all makes sense now, doesn't it?

Oh I seeeeeee. It does make sense, and it's cool to get welcomes, even if they're unique. Unique is cool though. You'd do better offering me unlimited chocolate though, and a herd of tap-dancing tapirs to make this forum irresistible - mind you I am avoiding work, so I'm probably going to be hard to shake.

QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 24 2006, 06:31 PM) *
Actually I've already written it and turned it in, but when the school turned it in, the officer dude picked the one he liked best, the person gets to say it infront of the school. ph34r.gif Somehow mine got picked, and on Wednesday I have to read it. I didn't make it too negative...But I've flat-out got no clue how I won. People found out I was on the phone and Matazone the same time I wrote it, and are mad cause they tried really hard and I didn't. Oh well..

So what? People just choose to be jealous of sucess, it's cool you've got a gift. My first essay for Uni I wrote really quickly, with hardly any references, and it was one of best - when you're in the zone, you're in the zone, no matter what else you're doing.

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 24 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #18

Germany > Spain...

QUOTE (gingerpig @ Apr 24 2006, 02:29 PM) *
QUOTE (devils_daughter @ Apr 24 2006, 06:31 PM) *

So what? People just choose to be jealous of sucess, it's cool you've got a gift. My first essay for Uni I wrote really quickly, with hardly any references, and it was one of best - when you're in the zone, you're in the zone, no matter what else you're doing.

You're absolutely right! It's just like the 5 min speech we had to do for the "My State" essay. I litterly started off with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a bunch of boring history crap happened, and then in 1565 St. Augustine was founded." I placed 2nd in that one, and people were complaing that I got the runner up thing when I didn't even take it seriously.

Today in 3rd period my L.A. teacher passed out a paper for some contest that says:
The Four Way Test

A convenient measuring stick for all human relations consisting of four simple questions as follows:
1: Is it the truth? 2: Is it fair to all concerned? 3:Will it build good will and better friendships? 4: Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

In 500 words or less, explain why you think the Four-Way Test will assist you in the fulfillment of a personal dream to make a positive contribution toward making the world a better place in which to live. You may include hobbies, primary interests, plans for the future or anything you wish to share with us.

Ok, this is the first not mandatory essay of the year. It seems very...erm..interesting and all but I'm not sure if I want to do it or not. What do all you people reading suggest?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Astarael
post Apr 24 2006, 08:22 PM
Post #19

Browncoat

Member No.: 1,958

That depends on what the essay is supposed to accomplish. If it will give you some extra credit or give you a chance of winning something nice, I'd do it. If some lovely inspiration hits or if you want to explore the topic, then do it for the practice. If none of the above apply and you think it's going to be a dead bore, I wouldn't bother.

--------------------
Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all. ~Morpheus, King of Dreams
I am a leaf on the wind. See me soar.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 25 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #20

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 24 2006, 06:15 PM) *

I knew there was more your thesis than meets the eye.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 25 2006, 07:57 PM
Post #21

Germany > Spain...

I'm not going to do it unless an idea just pops into my head. It'd just be a waste of time sitting down and thinking of what to write about. After all it's only worst 1 assignment as extra credit, which I don't really need at the moment...

QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 24 2006, 01:15 PM) *

Mata, you just gave me an idea! I think for my exact 4k post, I will say 'la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la'. tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 25 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #22

Only 3,741 posts to go then! (more than I've accumulated in 3 years here)

I feel a spam spree coming on >_<

--------------------

+Quote Post
gingerpig
post Apr 25 2006, 09:16 PM
Post #23

I just feel like the voices are telling me to write la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la in my essay. Gotta be better than blank paper....

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 25 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #24

Germany > Spain...

All this talk about la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la want to make me sing it.....laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 27 2006, 06:18 AM
Post #25

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I always want to sing, but then I think of all the broken eardrums that could result and decide to whistle badly instead.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 03:30 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!