Reply to this topicStart new topic
> D&D Help, I'm a DM in training
Righteous
post May 14 2006, 08:06 PM
Post #1

Shut up, noob!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 367

Okay, my DM Paul has been training me on how to be a DM. Basically, I do all of the storyline, character creations, fighting and what-not and paul schools me on the nuts-and-bolts of things. It's really bad-ass and apparently I do a good job. biggrin.gif

My only problem is that I'm running out of ideas of horrors to put my underlings through. I already set up crap for two overarching storylines (one much bigger than the other) and presently have them fighting a cannibalistic necromancer cult (after that: zombies). We don't have any books or anything to help me out (Paul's been playing since he was ten; he doesn't need them), so I'm pretty much relying solely on whatever I can come up with.

If you've got any ideas, ones you've used in your campaigns, heard about from others or have come up with and are willing to share with me, plese let me know. I'll be very appreciative!

--------------------
With every breath...and all that I am...I will make a stand...until the end.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post May 14 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #2

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

A good DM makes it light-hearted as well as action packed. A few sessions of dungeon crawling and gaining lots of loot, and then perhaps the town holds a festival to celebrate the victory. So you could have markets, free tabs in Taverns, competetitions and do a bit of roleplay to see if the characters get any action from the naughty Halfling lasses they've been lusting over. Then kick them awake the next day with a counter attack from the Zombies, rememebering to minus skill points for their hangovers.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 15 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #3

Shut up, noob!

I'm actually thinking of going into the Dreamworld with them. I could have a lot of fun with them because as we all know, anything goes in the Dreamworld.

THanks, T. I was being kinda rough on them now that I think about it. I have been nice to them, though. At one point, they went to a general trader and found that the woman's son was in her stead and, being a dumb kid, sold them a buttload of stuff for a song. One dude got pissed at me when he drank an imported health potion (don't ask) and it didn't work well with the herbs he ate earlier and he hurled his guts out. I'm often mean to him because he whines a lot. It's fun for me and everyone in the peanut gallery, at least.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bryden42
post May 15 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #4

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

you could buy the monster manuals , or (not that I endorse it at all) you could download the books from a peer to peer client. Its funny but most of the stuff you come up with tends to be better than the stuff in the books anyway.

as for action from the naughty Halfling lasses. I propose a question. "halfling Love; Is it wrong?" laugh.gif

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post May 15 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #5

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

Heres a fun scenario.

Your party hears tell of an abandoned tower same ways off. In it is supposed to be some valuable loot, but there are rumours of it being guarded by mimics. So off the party goes.

After entering the tower and journeying so far in, they come to a horrific realisation. The tower was just one giant Mimic, and they are now in it's digestion track. How do you escape?

Things like that can really freak people out. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 15 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #6

Shut up, noob!

Actually, Cal, one thing I have is the deal that the Northern Mine Company's worker's went on strike because of goblin infestations. Some of them were offered a handsome reward fpr each goblin scalp they turn in. What's really gonna happen is that the guy is a mage who's sending them in to their deaths so that the company will keep the mine closed and eventually go broke so he can buy it out and get rid of all his summoned goblins.

Aislinn, if you're reading this, please don't tell Alan or anyone about all this.

One idea I'm stealing from a book I read was getting stuck in a tower in a castle or something where you are suspended in the air and cannot move while the door is slowly closing. I'll have to wait to use it, but it'll be an interesting one.

Oh, and any advice on rowdy players? I have a guy who whines a lot and a dude who once told me that I know nothing about fantasy because 1) I get a lot of my ideas from Elder Scrolls IV and the Warcraft series (along with various books I've read and the mythology of my brother, a closet fantasy nerd) and 2) I don't think Tolkien is God. There was also a case where an orc was talking to them and wasn't speaking to his liking. Now, I can't talk dumb; I've tried. I just can't. So I spoke simply using my normal vocabulary and figured they could use their imaginations to translate it all to "ug grunt" language. Apparently that wasn't the case because one of the guys was bitchy about it.

Bryden, given your statement, here's something you might dig: Paul has this thing he does that I call "cross-mythology," meaning he'll bring in random creatures for the Hell of it, his favorite being smurfs. I brought in one of those furry creatures from Gremlins that eventually turned into a gremlin, killed a smurf and got into a battle with two of my boys. I also decided to go with werewolves from the Erick Douglas mythology where they are spiritual, more-or-less kind and intelligent. I also plan on bringing in nice centaurs, wise and benevolent gryphons and curious wyverns (by that I mean one will pick up one of the characters and take him/her two days walk away to study before ditching to go find food).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post May 15 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #7

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

What system are you using by the way?

*likes the idea of Ri's Orcs speaking in dead 1960's London slang*

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post May 16 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #8

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

Aha! That sounds excellent, Ri. I love plots where the protaganists find out later that they have been acting under false pretenses.

In the DnD campaigns I have DM'ed the plot would have ultimately swung that way. Unfortunately my DnD group have never played one campaign for more than a few sessions. We always end up rolling new characters after a short while and starting a new game in a new world. That's fun too, but it can get a little frustrating if you've already worked out hundreds of NPC's and possible plot elements.

If you are reading this Witless, we have to do some more DnD soon. I am craving it more than Prescott craves pies.

As for rowdy players... meh. You are the DM. Your word is law. When they take their turn as DM then THEIR word is law. You can solve a lot of problems by first explaining any fantasy differences before the game. Say what kind of things are expected and *why*. You plan to add something that isn't standard fantasy? Well as DM you make the world. That's all there is to it really.

Accept input from them to smooth things over, but explain that these differences make games *fresh*. I know I would get bored if every game was textbook Faerun or Planescape. Why not add Smurfs. Call them Smorfs for copyright reasons, but hey ho. wink.gif

As for voices.. well imagination is a wonderful thing, but the DM should make an effort. The DM has to make the world believeable, that is part of their responsibilities. Even if you sound comical that's part of the fun. wink.gif
You expect the player to roleplay your character, so it's only fair the DM should roleplay theirs. But hey, you only play the game for fun so do what you are comfortable with.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Novander
post May 16 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

I can't answer as a DM, but as a player I can say the best DnD game I've been in involved no combat at all; just us getting ourselves trapped in a haunted house and having to figure a way out of there, while eerie things happened all around us. So instead of trying to getting a response from your players by throwing monster after monster at them, try and get them caught in situations where they feel trapped or isolated. The game Unknown Armies has a funky way of dealing with the character's emotions: the Madness Meter, which tracks how well (or more likely, how badly) the characters respond to Violence, The Unnatural, Helplessness, Isolation, Self.

In a DnD game, your characters are probably quite hardened against either violence, for fighter types, or the unnatural for magicy types. But putting them in Helpless situations, isolating them from each other or the outside world and forcing them to make difficult moral choices is a good way to raise their investment in their character and increase the horrors of the game.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 16 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #10

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (MrTeapot @ May 15 2006, 07:58 PM) *
What system are you using by the way?

No idea, whatever system Paul taught me. Like I said, we don't use books or anything. Paul's been playing for twenty years so he is our book. I've been playing for about a month and a half. I was more-or-less thrusted into DMing because, according to Paul, I'm a natural storyteller.

*likes the idea of Ri's Orcs speaking in dead 1960's London slang*

I actually use no slang when I DM. I don't even swear all that much either.

Actually, with the orcs I didn't use like my whole vocabulary, proper or otherwise. I wasnt like, "We wanna beat the sh*t out of your boy and we _ain't_ waiting," nor was I like, "We're not willing to wait for you to deliver your friend to us." It was more like, "The orc holds up his mace and says, 'We don't want to wait. We want to smash your friend's head in now.'" That's as close to "ug grunt" I get. I even did the orc voice, which made my throat feel weird for the night.

You plan to add something that isn't standard fantasy? Well as DM you make the world.

You mean like matches and cigarettes? If anyone has a problem with those, then no smoking while I'm DMing. Don't bother me none; I don't smoke. If anyone has a problem, I can dock HP and/or go into my "Daddy's working here" rant

We've also used a lot of hallucinogenic drugs. One of my boys is right now being "enlightened" and will soon wake up in the tribal country, where he could run into kahjiit tribes (cat people), serpant tribes (snake people), werewolf tribes, sidhe tribes (tall elves who lack all the elven perks), snow goblins (an Erick Douglas invention), giants, minotaurs and whatever else I can steal from my respective influences.

The guys I'm dealing with are more combat-oriented. They get into a lot of fights with orcs, dwarves and bandits. I'm trying to get them into more of a story, a violent one, but something more that "Hey, James, when are we gonna get into a fight again?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post May 16 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #11

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

Randy and I have just about every single D&D game book printed (mostly the newest ones, since we're playing in 3.5 game worlds), a ton and a half of Conan books, and a few Sword and Sorcery books. And we have them all in .PDF format and hosted on a server. How's that for handy? I'll PM you the link to our server so you can take a gander at any of the books you want.

Yarr!

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post May 17 2006, 12:43 AM
Post #12

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Have you played Neverwinter Nights? The expansions? The Persistant Worlds have some fairly interesting stories. I could point you towards an interesting server or two if you'd like.

Edit: Or a set of forums which might have some people wiling to help.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
FeralPolyglot
post May 17 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #13

=^^= ~~

Member No.: 1,690

For the D&D Ive played, weve not ventured too far into the unorthodox... When creating characters, one of my old DMs had us roll for sexuality. The gay dwarf was SO funny. He kept fixing his hair and his beard in his axe, using it as a mirror. It was hilarious.

Our most recent campaign involved the following: There was a mage who accidentally summoned a HUGE and mean Infernal creature into his house and when he fled in terror, he forgot this spiffy magical staff.. He asked us to retrieve it for him.. We did so and returned it to him.. Then we were sought out by a more powerful mage from whom the staff was stolen by the first mage... Second mage then magically bound us to the task of returning his staff to him.

As for persnippity players, (sorry this post is so long), my first DM (back when I was just getting into roleplaying) described it like this... "The DM is god. What the DM says, goes.. I am the DM. If DM says that rocks fall from the sky and everyone dies, then everyone dies." I think your players should fall in line and respect the DM's authority. :-D

--------------------
-Cerin
=^^= ~~

What have you done today to make you feel proud?
"Be the change that you want to see in the world." -Mohandas Gandhi
"We do not inherit the land from our fathers, we borrow it from our children." -Native American Proverb
"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Walk beside me and just be my friend." - Albert Camus
"You can't change the music of your soul." -Katherine Hepburn
"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. (...) There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself." -The Matrix

+Quote Post
Righteous
post May 17 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #14

Shut up, noob!

QUOTE (FeralPolyglot @ May 17 2006, 08:10 AM) *
As for persnippity players, (sorry this post is so long), my first DM (back when I was just getting into roleplaying) described it like this... "The DM is god. What the DM says, goes.. I am the DM. If DM says that rocks fall from the sky and everyone dies, then everyone dies." I think your players should fall in line and respect the DM's authority. :-D

Oh, I already know exactly what I'll be saying: "Alan, Daddy's working and Daddy doesn't like it when he's interrupted. Daddy's in the big boy chair, not you. So listen to Daddy because he's Daddy and he knows what he's talking about." I could also take off HP or have him mugged like my DM does, but I try to be a nice guy.

Aislinn asked me the same question regarding Neverwinter Nights and until she did, I had never heard of it.

Thanks for the database! I'll be having tons of fun with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 20 2006, 05:30 PM
Post #15

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

Why do you create the charators? Why not let your players? and why stick to the stereo type of fantasy creatures why not make your centaurs evil etc. I've never DM'd but I've had some pretty good ones but what Nov said about traps and stuff is true. Also try to make it so there's is RP not just killing and smitting, in one game I played my friend toasted me with a balrog but didn't kill me and then our party had to figure out how best to get my charactor well and sorted again and stuff like that. Make for a more indepth and interesting game because the players are more atached to there chactors because they have one. Also developing back ground for the charactors gives you stuff to work with on your plots to.

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 09:53 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!