Reply to this topicStart new topic
> More Old Laptop Trouble, I think I'm screwed
acid_rain_child
post Jun 5 2006, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Vive y Deja Vivir

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 672

A few years ago, my mother me gave an old laptop from her work, where she was constantly dumped with old machinery. It's a Magitronic, weighs about 15 pounds (maybe an exaggeration) and I've had nothing but problems with it. I only used it as a typewriter, really, and isn't more useful than that, but in its defense, I have to say it was a little trooper; when it's screen conked out, I put a clip on the side and it was fixed at the despense of most of its color. When it overheated (which only took about 5 minutes) I let it cool off. It didn't work with floppys and I couldn't listen to music because the speakers didn't work, but game disks did. Another big problem was that the battery would only charge to 50% and that 50% lasted maybe 4-5 minutes if I was lucky.

Still, I dutifully wrote every night on that little machine until one day the power cord refused to be jiggled into commission (a huge problem I'd been having). I determined that not only was the little plug that went into the back loose, but the small cord that went into the transformer was still attached, but something wasn't connecting in the little box. If I put an incredible amount of pressure on the little cord and twisted it just so, it worked, but when I went to go get something to keep it in that position, I couldn't get it back the way it was.

One may sneeze at the problem I'm having, and normally I would too, but years of writing was on that computer! I actually cried. With the battery power left, I would be able to save everything to a floppy and transfer it, but that's not an option, and I think going on the internet would take every last ounce of strength the poor thing has in it. It's so old that taking out the harddrive and putting it into a working machine may not be possible, either.

I have a few questions: If I bought another battery would it have enough time on it to email my work to myself, or would buying another power chord be the best option? Is there any other way any of you could see to fix my poor lappy? I've looked on Ebay, and they've got a few super cheap Magitronics... could I transfer the hard drive and how difficult would that be if I were to try that with another, older machine?

I'm shooting for the battery idea, but I don't know the availability of my model and if they come charged. I'm pretty sure Magitronic is out of business, and I swear mine has to be one of the first laptops ever made.
Someone help me sad.gif

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 02:09 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!