Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PS2 Games for the Casual Gamer
MistressAlti
post Jun 12 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #1

ever-hopeful since 2003

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 54

So my boyfriend bought me a PS2 while I've been on vacation as a welcome-home surprise (not much of a surprise, considering I'm still in Europe, but still). I'm totally grateful for the gift but I have NO idea what kind of games I would use on it, 'cept maybe Guitar Hero and DDR, which is what I wanted it for in the first place.

So, I need recommendations for games for someone who is:

1. not into violence
2. not spectacularly good at console games (as in, nothing too hard to get decent at please)
3. too busy to spend tons of time grinding through tedious parts of games or unlocking special features

I have no idea if that actually, uh, leaves any games left. But I figured it's worth asking. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 12 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #2

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Group: Admin
Member No.: 71

QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jun 12 2006, 02:14 PM) *
So my boyfriend bought me a PS2 while I've been on vacation as a welcome-home surprise (not much of a surprise, considering I'm still in Europe, but still). I'm totally grateful for the gift but I have NO idea what kind of games I would use on it, 'cept maybe Guitar Hero and DDR, which is what I wanted it for in the first place.

So, I need recommendations for games for someone who is:

1. not into violence
2. not spectacularly good at console games (as in, nothing too hard to get decent at please)
3. too busy to spend tons of time grinding through tedious parts of games or unlocking special features

I have no idea if that actually, uh, leaves any games left. But I figured it's worth asking. wink.gif

You, my dear, are right on the money with Guitar Hero - it pretty much single-handedly justifies the existance of PS2s. Buzz is also an absolute riot with 3 friends, but it doesn't look like it's out in the US. Boo. Mrs Jonman's quite keen on the Sly Cooper series - lovely design, and some decent cartoony platforming fun. I'll post more as they occur to me. And there's always Singstar, although it seems the first one's only coming out in the US next year. Tsk. Sure sign of a cultural backwater, that is.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jun 12 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #3

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 380

Soul Caliber 2 is a nice two-player game a-la Mortal Kombat. Talk your boyfriend into playing with you, loser does the dishes.

And if you don't have a PS1, you can pick up some old classics to play on it. PS1 games are delightfully cheap when bought used.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 13 2006, 05:15 AM
Post #4

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Hm...

I'd reccomend the following:

Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal!
Makai Kingdom
Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
Katamari Damacy
We <3 Katamari

Any of those are going to do you well. All of them save Makai and Disgaea will only set you back about twenty bucks (or less!) a pop, and none of them are extremely violent nor do they require an excess amount of skill to play. I'd warn you only that Makai and Disgaea are extremely time consuming, but very "pick up and play" in that you can play them in twenty minute bursts for a good 100 hours of gameplay.

Enjoy!

And FYI, I think that Soul Calibur III is much better than Soul Calibur II. I'm just not sure of the prices...

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Jun 13 2006, 08:01 PM
Post #5

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

As an addendum to Mike's post, I'd advise that Disgaea and Makai Kingdom are not suitable for the casual gamer - they're both up to the neck in stats, and require hours of idling inventory management. Don't get me wrong, they're both fab-frickin-tastic games, but both require a sizable investement in time to get the best out of them.

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jun 13 2006, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Agreed, my fanboyism might have gotten the best of me (but look! No Devil May Cry or Viewtiful Joe!) but the reason I put them up there is because of the fun story lines, the good gameplay, and the inventive, though not overly violent, combat systems.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 15 2006, 05:50 PM
Post #7

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

The Simpsons Road Rage. Fun, not alot of effort needed and can be two player.

I'm not a games player at all, and I can do it biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Felander
post Jun 15 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

QUOTE (Daria @ Jun 15 2006, 06:50 PM) *
The Simpsons Road Rage. Fun, not alot of effort needed and can be two player.

I'm not a games player at all, and I can do it biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure Alti is looking for decent PS2 games. _

Can't go wrong with beat 'em ups; the latest incarnation of Tekken (5) is pretty good.

Other than that, a game which perfectly fits with your criteria is Lego Star Wars. It's an absolute gem of a game. You can spend a while unlocking special features should you so wish, but the game is so damn fun on its own, if a little short.

Both these titles can be found under the PS2's Platinum label.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jun 15 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

It is an awesome game! ... yeah. As I said, I don't play computer games. My little brother has Lego Starwars. It is great- you can make all the characters have big moustaches and shoot people with teacups instead of light sabres.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
michael1384
post Jun 17 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #10

^ For gods sake kill it!

Member No.: 2,134

QUOTE (Felander @ Jun 15 2006, 10:06 PM) *
Other than that, a game which perfectly fits with your criteria is Lego Star Wars. It's an absolute gem of a game..

Second.

--------------------
I have Facebook
click here, here or here to improve my city.
free cookies!
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, put this in your sig.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.
It's not my bunny, I got it somewhere else.

+Quote Post
Chronotub
post Jun 21 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #11

Worrying

Member No.: 1,776

sonic mega collection, the old sonic games from the megadrive and gamegear, loads of fun (more so than many of the current games imho) and you can pick it pretty cheap

super monkey ball, played this up my friends house the other day, you have to guide a monkey in a ball through a maze its great fun and really adictive, there are loads of mini games aswell

the sims 2 don't have the ps2 version of this but its good fun on the pc

--------------------
Rydhsys rag Kernow lemmyn!

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Jul 14 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #12

That_guy needs therapy!

Member No.: 2,523

Ratchet: Deadlocked. It's a pretty long game (At least twenty hours of campaign), but it's broken down into lots of smaller "missions". If you've got a multitap and three friends, this is the game for you.

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 15 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #13

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

Can't go wrong with beat 'em ups; the latest incarnation of Tekken (5) is pretty good.

Would you care to place a wager on that?
1. not into violence

biggrin.gif wink.gif

Jak & Daxter: The Precusor Legacy is a great game, mostly pretty easy, and has a lovely learning curve. Sues likes it and can play through most of it by herself, but she does get a bit stuck towards the very end.

Anything that involves the EyeToy is great for casual players, although universally exhausting in bouts longer than five or ten minutes (which is what casual gaming is all about, so that should be fine). The official EyeToy games are usually the best, but the Sega All Stars one is reputedly a good second.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Felander
post Jul 15 2006, 05:44 PM
Post #14

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 15 2006, 05:41 PM) *

Would you care to place a wager on that?
1. not into violence

biggrin.gif wink.gif

Pfft. _

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post Jul 15 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #15

: P>

Member No.: 991

Sensible Soccer 2006 is cool, despite being a football game (which I hate). It manages to be fun and easy to play instead of dull and stupidly detailed like most of them.

EyeToy games are great too. I'm planning on buying EyeToy Kinetic when I get a PS2...it's a game and a 12 week fitness plan which is rather cool.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
sarahfelicity
post Aug 14 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,659

As a car obsessive, I'd like to add Gran Turismo 4 to that list. Its is my ultimate game - I can spend hours and hours and hours sapping away my life trying to get enough "money" for a Mercedes SL500... wub.gif

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 15 2006, 06:39 AM
Post #17

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Member No.: 1

The Gran Tourismo games are like RPG games with cars - strive hard enough to build up your stats and defeat the next objective - and just as time-stealing for those that they appeal to!

Which is a good point: isn't it interesting that none of us can think of a RPG that can appeal to casual gamers? There's got to be a gap in the market there, although designing it would be a very interesting challenge!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Aug 15 2006, 03:41 PM
Post #18

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

I think that the problem with a casual RPG is that one of the appeals of RPGs is that they are very in-depth storywise, while casual gaming tends to be much more...casual. I suppose the best crossover would be the Sims - not a true RPG, but with a clear role-playing aspect, and yet very appealing to the casual gamer, due to its simplicity.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Aug 15 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #19

That_guy needs therapy!

If you own a computer than Elder Scrolls would be your best bet, it does have a pretty intense (yet short) main storyline, but you can also just romp around and hack away at zombies, skeletons, wolves and passersby for hours.

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

+Quote Post
Fluffy
post Aug 16 2006, 02:24 AM
Post #20

Haibane

Member No.: 731

Might I add that Ico is an excellent game that seems to meet all of your qualifications. It's for the PS2, very short (maybe 8-12 hours the first time through), has little violence to speak of, isn't terribly difficult (though the ingenious puzzles can be fairly challenging), is downright beautiful, and, on top of all this, is probably one of the finest games ever crafted. It may be a tad bit of trouble to locate though; it's from 2001 and didn't sell well. However, looking at Amazon, I see a used copy for $19, so yeah. I strongly recommend Ico.

--------------------
Odd Numbers = Raisins
Proudly e-married to Silver Star! This happened on January 11, 2004.
I'm DarkProtector's foob!

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Aug 16 2006, 02:37 AM
Post #21

That_guy needs therapy!

Ooh! For that matter try Rez, if you can find a copy, it's rare and a bit expensive but by far has the best audio/visiual setup I have ever experienced in a video game. The whole world in the game has a rhythm, and the simplistic graphics are much more immersive than, say, the realism of FFX or Gran Turismo. Turns out trying to make something look fake works a lot better than trying to make it look real.

Good if you've ever liked games like Time Crisis or that old Jurassic Park arcade stall thing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 9 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #22

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 466

Definitely Ultimate Spiderman. For you, my dear, I shall bullet-point its virtues:

-Written by Brian Michael Bendis, who writes the Ultimate Spiderman line of comics (maybe my favourite ongoing comics title), it's witty and funny throughout
-Looks very nice, very comics-style art
-Freeform, in the fashion of Grand Theft Auto, except that instead of arbitrarily murdering people, you're swinging around New York looking for crimes to fight and wrongs to right!
-Webslinging is intensely fun, and you'll find yourself doing it to the exclusion of actually progressing with the plot
-Though later parts of the game are challenging (the final race with Johnny Storm is nigh-impossible), it's very easy to get to grips with
-In-depth Spiderman knowledge not required

Strongly recommended for pretty much anybody!

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Sep 12 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #23

Can't really go wrong with The Simpson's Hit and Run if you're a Simpsons fan.

Lots of nostalgia, original voice actors, decent gameplay. I'll admit the graphics are a little sketchy at times, but it's the best Simpsons title since the arcade game.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Sep 13 2006, 12:56 AM
Post #24

That_guy needs therapy!

I never got past the bears on that blasted machine.

/SPAM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 02:15 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!