> California Elphaba, coming near you
elphaba2
post Jun 29 2006, 01:05 AM
Post #1

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

Hello all!

This is a little last-minute, but I will be in the great state of California quite soon. Leaving tomorrow, in fact, for a week or so. I'll be in Pasadena (LA-ish), then up through the Big Sur area and at last to San Francisco. My question to you is: What should I look at?

I have a motive--I'm filling a box with college-things for a relation who will be leaving for university in the fall. So going in this vein, does anyone know of any good thrifty spots to hit while there (mostly in SF, as Pasadena is slightly posh and Big Sur rather wooded)? In particular, I will be looking for used books (the newly collegiate is male and so I believe large doses of Kerouac are in order), good flea markets or even interesting grocery stores. However, if anyone has any other thoughts on what to hit, do share. I travelled to Massachusetts just to see the Boy-Turtle Statue; I am clearly no stranger to adventure.

Surely we have a Matazone rep somewhere around this area. Where should I go?

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jul 5 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #2

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

*peevish bump*

Well, in the hopes of this thread's not being pointless or dull, anything connected with thirft or California that people would like to share? I loathe the idea of having created a dead thread.

See you all the next time I come upon internet!

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 5 2006, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Hmm...wish I could offer some help. I've only been to California once, in spite of living in the state just north of it for almost my entire life. And that visit was just for a few days. I just went to Sacramento and San Fransisco (and the house of teh LoLo as well, though I am not at liberty to divulge its location ph34r.gif ). The only things I remember clearly are: 1. A lot more superficial people than other places I've visited, 2. A store in Fisherman's Wharf had pet-able stuff made from llama wool, 3. Argh, I always forget that sales tax exists in other states until I get up to the counter, 4. There were some people making out outside the capitol building in Sacramento.

So yeah, I'm not much help. I did have fun, though...and I felt bad that you didn't have any responses yet. The only thing I've seen in any of the places you're going is Fisherman's Wharf in San Fransisco. It was pretty fun, if very touristy. The aquarium that Lo and I went to in that area was cool, though not quite cool enough to merit the $13 entry fee.

Anyway, good luck, and I'm sure you'll have fun! San Fransisco is pretty compact, so just wander around a bit and see what you find.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
oxym0ronical
post Jul 6 2006, 09:29 PM
Post #4

badfish

Member No.: 139

I really can't help much either. I was only there for a whirlwind trip, and didn't do a lot of shopping. I can see if my cousin has any suggestions, since she grew up in Oakland.

Good luck though!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2017 - 07:54 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!