Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> high school, any tips?
Tom
post Jul 4 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Dont Worry, I Dont Know Where I Am Either!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,800

well im starting high school after the summer holidays. I've just got back from a trasntion from my high school and i've made mates already! But have you got any tips about going to high school?

--------------------
Dont Try And Save Me Im Alrealdy Dead
Tis My Forum Please Join It Would Meen Loads
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jul 4 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #2

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

Keep your head down, work hard, and know that you're not really as hot sh*t as you think you are.

Not meaning to insult you personally, but I find that that pretty much applies to all freshmen.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post Jul 4 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

It's gonna suck, hardcore in the face. Just remember, it's only four years. When you're done with it, you'll be able to look back and realize just how much it didn't matter.

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 4 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Well, I'm not in high school yet, but here goes anyway. Avoid bullies. Don't become the teacher's pet. Stay with your friends. Try not to piss any seniors off.

Pretty much lay low and keep to your friends.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Cookieflair
post Jul 4 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Oxymoronic Tonic

Member No.: 2,438

I know this is a cliche but it really does go soooo fast. I'm nearly finished in year 10 already and im like w0ow where did it go?!
Its really good that you have friends already when i started it took me about a year to find my real friends.
I would say DONT GET BEHIND IN YOUR COURSEWORK that really sucks. And dont be an arrogant tw*t.

And i really dont understand the american schooling system 2nd grade etc could someone plese explain it to me?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 4 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #6

Germany > Spain...

Well, 2nd grade is like 2nd year. Pre-school is nursury school, elementry school (grade's Kindergarten - 5) is Primary school. Middle school (grades 6-8) is years 6-8 (Don't know what it's called in England) and highschool (grades 9-12) is like high school. But I think I might be wrong about the high school part, because LT's the same age as me, and I'm just entering middle school...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jul 4 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #7

Goes like this:

Kindergarten

Elementary School:
First Grade
Second Grade
Third Grade
Fourth Grade
Fifth Grade

Middle School:
Sixth Grade
Seventh Grade
Eighth Grade

High School:
Ninth Grade (Freshman)
Tenth Grade (Sophomore)
Eleventh Grade (Junior)
Twelfth Grade (Senior)

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jul 4 2006, 07:33 PM
Post #8

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Some advice from someone who's actually been to a British high school. This is all from my own experience of being in Y7.

1) You are an idiot. This isn't personal, it's an age thing. And as such you will be treated with scorn by all older than you.

2) Get out of people's way. If you don't, then they will walk over you. And possibly shout at you.

3) Uniform: no-one really cares.

4) Find the cool teachers, befriend them, and they will stick up for you when you get caught doing stuff.

That's probably about it, apart from don't be cocky, 'cos you're only little.

QUOTE (IrishGuy @ Jul 4 2006, 05:53 PM) *
Just remember, it's only four years.

5 years Vic, LT's British.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 4 2006, 07:34 PM
Post #9

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Mike's layout of the US school system is basically correct, except for the fact that not all of us have middle schools, and some of our middle schools only cover 7th and 8th grade. And some people call them junior highs. I think it varies by location.

Also, some of us who are slightly above the average age for the forums started school before kindergarten was a state requirement. I never went to kindergarten...though strangely I did go to preschool, which comes before kindergarten. I think the difference was that the preschool was public while the only local kindergartens were private at the time and retarculously expensive.

Anyway...high school really isn't much different than the schooling you've been doing so far. I had the most fun during freshman year, I think...and I was terrified because I'd just moved to a new town and did not know a single person in the entire school. I was fine, and you will be too. Just use a little common sense and try to not irritate anyone who is older than you.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Jul 4 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #10

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

Sometimes 5th and 6th grades go to an Intermediate School, but it varies depending on the school district.

...And I'm confused... What's the big difference in British schools from American schools that makes it so that ages two years apart are both going into highschool?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jul 4 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #11

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Be friendly with everyone and don't stick too much to one group - be friends with everyone! And try to get into a good routine with homework by doing it the day you get it - it causes a lot less stress down the line. [/hypocricy]

Oh and have a lot of fun.smile.gif

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jul 4 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #12

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I'd agree with everyone else. Work hard, stay out of trouble, try not to be too cocky. You're going into the years where your hormones will tell you that you know everything. In some ways they're right, you learn some of life's most important lessons so don't forget them, but remember that they are things that you learn, not things that you already have with you, so be receptive to outside influences.

As the Taoists would say: bend. Get used to changing your ideas.

Probably the single most useful thing I learnt during my teenage years was taught to me by a woman called Mandy during a Holiday Club International trip to Club Tropicana when I was around thirteen. She taught me how to back down. This doesn't mean that you lose the argument, instead you just accept that the other person is unwilling to change their mind. Once you learn how to recognise inflexibility you begin to see it in yourself, and from there you have a whole lifetime of learning ahead of you.

I learnt this over half my lifetime ago and I'm still trying to make it work perfectly in my life. I'm very good at it but there is always work to be done. So that's my tip: learn to accept that others believe that they are right (whether they are or not). This is the way of peace.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jul 4 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

As you start, I finish- 13 years of school down the line and I am starting to feel a little lost. Everything about not being cocky and making friends is very true- remember though that even if you aren't friends with these people now, it is more than likely that by the time you all finish, you'll be the best of friends.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Jul 5 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #14

My direction

Member No.: 495

Don't walk into sixth formers. We will run you down. We've been there longer, worked harder, and respected sixth formers in our own Y7-11 time.

Don't be a smart-ass either. People will think you're funny now, but when they get to year 9-11 and start to grow up a bit, they'll remember those things which seemed so hilariously funny at the time, realise how immature you are, and become disctinctly more distant.

Those are my two pet hates about year sevens. To be honest, nothing personal against you, but you'll probably do all his stuff anyway because everyone does. Chalk it up to experience and don't worry about it too much, because everyone else is just as much of an idiot as you and you'll be able to laugh about it in seven years' time smile.gif

From my own personal experience, the best advice I can give you is similar to Mata's: Don't be the person who argues and has temper tantrums and takes everything personally. You're not actually all that important in the grand scheme of things. Very very few people are actually out to get you personally because, frankly, no-one cares about you that much. That took me from age three until about last year to learn tongue.gif

And for goodness' sake, stay on the right side of your parents. It's ok to disagree with what they say, but be mature about it, cos you'll reach the age of leaving home, and suddenly you'll realise where they were coming from and that they were just as right as you.

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jul 5 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #15

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I agree with what pretty much everyone else has said. You're smaller than everyone else, they will stomp on you if you get in their way.

Also some areas in England go First, Middle, High school and other areas go from Primary straight to High school.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Jul 5 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #16

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

You'll be fine. Be true to yourself and your friends. Work at the coursework as it'll be important to whatever cool career you'll be dreaming of post-highschool. Can't get into the high paying, seriously cool jobs without at least high school and usually more education on top of it.
Have fun. There was a fair bit of fun as well as misery in highschool if I cast my memory back that far.

All the best.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jul 5 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #17

Germany > Spain...

Oh, and one more thing about American schools. Some are K-8 (kindergarten through 8th grade).

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Feyliya
post Jul 6 2006, 12:28 AM
Post #18

It's not junk in the trunk, it's precious cargo.

Member No.: 380

Everyone's already said all the social stuff. Here's what I suggest to improve your school work. Start consciously trying to capitalize things correctly, use proper punctuation, and spell words the right way. Start doing it on everything you do on the computer: instant messaging, emails, forum posts, everything. Use Spellcheck.net to make sure you have everything the way it should be.

It may take you some time to start getting things right at first, and it may seem like a pain, but once it's a habit you will start to see the results. Your teachers will enjoy reading the papers you turn in (and give you better marks), others will respect you more, and you will seem more mature.

--------------------
Irish is my special e-stalker. I leave the blinds open for him. :P // I'm the designated keeper of sobreity. Jell-o Shooters anyone? // I will always have fond memories of Leo's big banana and Cheese's sexy penguin. // I am the all powerful Ish Witch! ::insert evil cackle here:: // ALL HAIL PURSTHULHU!
@_@ You will not write secret messages. You will not write secret messages... @_@

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Jul 6 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #19

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

QUOTE (Feyliya @ Jul 5 2006, 05:28 PM) *
Use Spellcheck.net to make sure you have everything the way it should be.

That's a great suggestion, but LT is British. When I check the word "colour" on Spellcheck.net, it says that it's misspelled. This site might be a better way to implement Fey's suggestion, since it offers UK English as well.

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Jul 6 2006, 03:30 AM
Post #20

Hrm... I think I found a way to summarize everyone's thoughts and opinions in one simple sentence:

Don't be your screen name.

Simple, no?

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Jul 6 2006, 03:36 AM
Post #21

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jul 5 2006, 11:30 PM) *
Hrm... I think I found a way to summarize everyone's thoughts and opinions in one simple sentence:

Don't be your screen name.

Simple, no?

That gave me my giggle for today. Thanks. happy.gif

[/crazy amount of spam]

Also: I liked going through highschool. It's middleschool I hated most, since everyone (ie: mostly boys) was much less mature than in highschool.

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post Jul 6 2006, 04:51 PM
Post #22

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

My best advice for anybody going into high school is to be quiet most of the time, and simply listen. You learn more when you listen, about the people around you and how they interact.

edit: You also look smarter when you don't say anything, typically. Well, at least freshmen don't look quite as stupid (no offense intended) when they don't talk as much.

--------------------

+Quote Post
spiffilicious05
post Jul 7 2006, 12:38 AM
Post #23

Empowe(red)

Member No.: 614

My advice to you is to not to get caught up in all the high school drama that goes on between students. There's a lot of people out there who like to whine and cry and create problems just for the hell of it. Most of the time any sort of rumor that sounds even remotely negative isn't true, besides who really cares what they think? What's even more surprising is that a lot of the rumors that praise a person's accomplishments aren't true as well. Plus, when you think about it, in less than five years you'll have a whole new set of friends and you'll forget about most of the stuff that happened in high school.

Study hard, get good grades, and focus on doing your best. When you graduate you want to be able to say that you were proud of your accomplishments - don't leave with any 'what if's' on your shoulders.

Get involved with clubs, sports, music, art -- colleges really love that stuff. Remember, they want a well rounded person who can handle multiple things at once. Don't overload your activities, but get out there - have a great time. Remember, all that really matters is what you think. Who cares if you don't wind up captain of the football team or cheerleading squad? Have fun and good luck!

--------------------
Squeaky swings and tall grass
The longest shadows ever cast
The water's warm and children swim
And we frolicked about in our summer skin

Where I roam...

+Quote Post
Usurper MrTeapot
post Jul 7 2006, 01:46 AM
Post #24

Samauri Teapain

Member No.: 844

I saw Dazed and Confused last night, a quote stuck in my mind.

'I just wanted to look back and say "That I did it as best as I could while I was stuck in this place. Had as much fun as I could while I was stuck in this place. Played as hard as I could while I was stuck in this place. Snogged as many girls as I could while I was stuck in this place."'

Maybe not the best advice but it reflects my pessimistic personality and stubborn urge to remain a playful child.

--------------------
@>-'--,--Cath and gothictheysay are my E-Teapotettes.@>-'--,--
Jaq and believe are my adopted Tea Spoons (wherever they are :'( )
"I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile, I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell."
A proud Viking never stops masturbating.
Taking over Matazone Forums since 2011.

+Quote Post
Tom
post Jul 9 2006, 05:35 PM
Post #25

Dont Worry, I Dont Know Where I Am Either!

Member No.: 1,800

THANKS EVERYONE YOU WERE A GREAT HELP (you also made me laugh aswell!! tongue.gif )

--------------------
Dont Try And Save Me Im Alrealdy Dead
Tis My Forum Please Join It Would Meen Loads

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:09 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!