Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strange, Having trouble
That_Guy
post Aug 16 2006, 01:59 AM
Post #1

That_guy needs therapy!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 2,523

Well, I've had a rather vivid nightmare a while back and I've been trying to put it into poetry ever since. How do most of you put rhyme and rhythm into words?

If the reader must know, the dream was of a dead sapling that grew at a visiually noticeable rate, eventually turning into a large yet dead tree in the silvery moonlight. All the while it was making a sickening noise, kind of like a cross between snapping branches and that low bass noise that cargo ships make when under a lot of pressure.

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Aug 16 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #2

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

My first attempts always just write words down. Any words that come through to you. I rarely write poetry that rhymes regularly, I find that it becomes contrived and a touch silly. What you wrote down at the end of you post would make a good beginning.

"The sickening noise,
A cross between snapping branches
And the bass of a cargo ship creaking in the water"

Basic and probably crap but jotting things down like this helps you when you look back over it later

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 17 2006, 02:50 AM
Post #3

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I tend to not write in rhyme and meter, but when I do have some sort of rhythem in my poetry it just comes naturally. It usually isn't particuarly consistant though.

A good way to start is to write down what you're thinking, however you feel it should be written. I have a feeling you already have a sort of rhythem that you want your poem to have, so just try to write something that expresses how you feel, then go back and refine it.

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Mutilation
post Aug 18 2006, 09:49 AM
Post #4

Speed of Life

Member No.: 952

When writing poetry, remember the three R's:

Sibilance
Assonance
Alliteration
Two stressed syllables every half of a line

You don't HAVE to do any of those.

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Aug 20 2006, 02:13 AM
Post #5

That_guy needs therapy!

Member No.: 2,523

Hm. Well, I'll probably toy around with that for a while and see what I come up with...

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 06:14 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!