Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AS/A2 results
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 17 2006, 08:06 AM
Post #1

My direction

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 495

Gonna go right into it and say: Who cares what my results were? I got into Imperial happy.gif

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 17 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

WoooOOOOOoooo. Smarty pants! Congrats!

How have other people done?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 17 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #3

My direction

Have actually been to get results now, and got a nice ABBB. Greeneyes did fantastically well, but I'll let him tell you that or not in terms of actual grades. And yes, how did everyone else do?

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Aug 17 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #4

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Wooooooot!!!!! Well done guys. My cousin got 4 A's so he's really happy. A level results are always fun!!

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 17 2006, 03:31 PM
Post #5

Well, I got BCDE... 11 years ago...

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Aug 17 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #6

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

Congratulations everyone!

No results for me, but I went back to my old sixth form with some of my friends who did retakes and they all did well smile.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
Star_of_Lei
post Aug 17 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #7

: insert cultural reference here :

Member No.: 2,054

My big sis got ABBB which made her scared as she needed AAB for uni, but thank god she's still going to get in. However, a friend is really worried about her brother who wandered off with his phone off after he got DEEU.

But congrats to everyone, you did really good.

998th post

--------------------
Sonny-Lei

but you may call me.......................

Dread Pirate Bonney

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Aug 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #8

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Well dones my dearies biggrin.gif

/me hugs Ieni muchly.

YAY!

/me hugs more

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
sarahfelicity
post Aug 17 2006, 09:13 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 2,659

I got my AS results back today. ABBB. (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology.) I'm pleased with my Psychology grade, I was expecting far worse.

But is it wrong for me to be really upset that I didn't get my A in Chemistry? My teachers have been on at me all year, I'm their so called "A-student". I did brilliantly in two modules, but the last one let me down, and I missed the A by literally 3 marks. This infuriates me, p!sses me off and upsets me all at once, and I can't help but get upset. Am I stupid for being upset about it? All my friends are being really nasty about it and having a go at me, and my family are just like "Why are you upset? You did wonderfully, we're so proud of you!" And I just want to crawl into a hole... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 17 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #10

Yes and no. If you wanted to do do better then by all means feel upset, but don't feel like this is going to change your life. I had far worse grades than you and I'm just finishing my PhD, so they can't have really changed too much for me in the end, can they? The difference between an A and a B seems a lot at the time, and I can understand that it's annoying, but in ten years it won't make any difference to you... So like I say, 'yes and no'. Congratulations, those are really good grades!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 17 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #11

My direction

/me squeehugs Froggeh happy.gif I'm still hyper and I found it out at 9 this morning tongue.gif

Am I stupid for being upset about it? All my friends are being really nasty about it and having a go at me, and my family are just like "Why are you upset? You did wonderfully, we're so proud of you!" And I just want to crawl into a hole...

It's the trouble with being one of the "clever people" at the bottom end of the "clever people" group. People expect you to do well, so they're not surprised when you do, and whilst they're happy for you, they don't praise you so much (unlike the geniuses, who they lavish praise on). Then if you do badly, you're letting everyone down because they expected better, or they're smug because they beat you. You can't win, and because people are telling you you should be a star all the time, you feel really frustrated and let down because you can't always be.

I'm going with my cousin Lizzie on this one - "I don't know why people can't see that the people who get one A and some Bs are the most attractive, intelligent, socially astute people that exist, really." (Said after we had a conversation about our respective 4-and 5-A friends). If you're in the middle, then you've got no-one to do it for but yourself, so yes, you feel let down, but it's as well to remember that you did what you could and it got you what you wanted, so there's no point in beating yourself up about the fine print, even if it is a bit disappointing.

Does that make sense, or is it just rambling? I dunno. All I meant to say is no it's not stupid, but there's no point in dwelling on it. And "friends" who rub it in your face aren't "friends" at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Aug 18 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #12

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I never really understood what the A levels were (me being a silly American and all) but as far as grades though, I'm starting to realize how it really doesn't make too much of a difference. Its either pass or fail that people care about. The rest just gives you gloating rights.

As far as overall school grades go this year, my grades were terrible and I honestly didn't care about any of my classes, but I did pass them all and I'm graduating highschool a year earlier than I should be. I think the main deal is being happy with what you've accomplished.

This year though I am trying to get straight A's in some of my classes, but that is only because I'll be exempt from my final exams if I do make straight A's

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 20 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #13

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I have no results to celebrate or comiserate over but my sister does. 4 As in her ASs and then a maths A level with A aswell. I'm sure I've said it before but she is far too clever for her own good. I cannot understand how she does well at the same time as partying or something every night. Hmph.

Congratubilations everyone else!

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 20 2006, 09:21 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Kitty @ Aug 18 2006, 01:13 AM) *
I never really understood what the A levels were (me being a silly American and all) but as far as grades though, I'm starting to realize how it really doesn't make too much of a difference. Its either pass or fail that people care about. The rest just gives you gloating rights.

Yes and no.

Grades really only make a difference until you get the next qualification, but when you're trying to get to a nice place to study to get the next qualification then they count for a lot.

I'm looking for jobs in the computer game industry at the moment ('bah humbug' to the need to find a regualr job, but if I have to do it then I might as well do something that I'm interested in), and I regularly see that employers are only interested in graduates that have a 2:1 degree or better. It's a buyers' market at the moment, so they can as for whatever they want. This is the first time I've seen any employers asking for a certain level of achievement at degree level, usually they just want a pass.

My point is that sometimes grades do matter. Despite this, after being in various forms of employment for the last sixteen years, this is the first time that I've seen a request for a certain level of achievement in exams. Maybe the job market is changing and they are beginning to care what you got; in the UK it's getting towards 50% of people leaving education with degrees, so I guess it's only natural that employers will now begin to care just how good each degree is. There is also a growing distrust of the education system to prepare people for work, but that's a whole different issue!

As a sidenote, grades can also count against you: I've been asked a few times 'why, with all your education, do you want this job?' Strangely the simple answer 'because educated people need to eat too' doesn't seem to go down very well! biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Aug 20 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #15

Yep. An 'E' at A level is still considered a pass, but it probably won't get you into the university you want to go to. But as long as you get whatever you need then anything above that is just a reason to gloat.

I'm still jealous of everyone with A's though. Damn smart people!

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 20 2006, 12:57 PM
Post #16

My direction

I am also rather irritated with my mother at the moment, because she is telling my sister that GCSEs will count for a lot for the rest of her life, which simply isn't true. She's going back to VI form at the same school, so the teachers all know her and frankly, she'll get into her A level courses regardless because they know she can do the subjects and is interested in them. I have a friend who didn't bother working for his GCSEs because he was certain they didn't matter - he got straight into his courses at A level, he was considered for every Uni he applied to, and he now has five A grade A levels. They mean nothing once you've done the next bit, and from what Mata said it sounds like that carries on for the rest of your life.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 21 2006, 11:27 PM
Post #17

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

4 Cs! And I am extatic (and can't spell)- I spent my entire time doing as little work as possible, skiving off, going to gigs, going to the pub (not in lesson time... honnest...) sleeping through lessons, spending my weekends in London with a certain person and distracting others. To put it bluntly.
True, I could have done better, but in the end I chose not to and I am happy with the result. Also, I only needed CDD to get into my uni and course of choice.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Aug 26 2006, 02:40 PM
Post #18

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Aug 20 2006, 01:57 PM) *
I am also rather irritated with my mother at the moment, because she is telling my sister that GCSEs will count for a lot for the rest of her life, which simply isn't true. She's going back to VI form at the same school, so the teachers all know her and frankly, she'll get into her A level courses regardless because they know she can do the subjects and is interested in them. I have a friend who didn't bother working for his GCSEs because he was certain they didn't matter - he got straight into his courses at A level, he was considered for every Uni he applied to, and he now has five A grade A levels. They mean nothing once you've done the next bit, and from what Mata said it sounds like that carries on for the rest of your life.

YES!

Thank you. I have been so annoyed in the past two years by people saying I should work hard for my gcses, especially when they say it for subjects that I'm not continuing with.

This is part of the reason my gcse results were not that good compared to some of my friends and what some teachers expected me to get, but meh, it doesn't matter.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 26 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #19

Bear in mind though that people are beginning to care more!

The way that grades are improving is that teachers are teaching precisely what is on the syllabus: namely they are telling you exactly what you will be tested on, and nothing else. Certainly that gets good results, but it doesn't result in a solid overall knowledge of the subject.

Are teenagers smarter now than they were fifteen years ago? Of course not.
Are teachers better now than fifteen years ago? That's very doubtful.
The exams are, apparently, of a similar standard, so the only thing that can have changed in the system is the knowledge being given to students to pass the exams.

Many teachers have told me the same thing: due to the government demanding certain grade standards, teachers now teach students how to pass the tests, not actually 'about' the subject. If it's not being tested, even if it's important, then students don't get taught it.

The knock-on effect of this is that there is increasing competition between all the people who have been trained in the same way.

I stand by what I said before; that grades become near-meaningless once you get the next bunch, but that doesn't mean that you should only get the minimum. You're not being taught a broad range of your subject, so you should try and get as much knowledge as you can while it's there. At no point in the rest of your life is anyone going to try to explain to you why chemicals interact the way that they do, or about glaciation, or any of those other things that you never actually need but I've found a weird thing in the last few years: I'm really happy to know them.

My education might not really made that much difference to my social or work life (so far - but I think it will in the future) but it's made me a more rounded person. My schooling taught me to look at things and wonder what processes make it work rather than simply accepting that it does. That's not about grades, that's about learning to engage with the world around you, and it's the only safety net that we have in later life to prevent us from becoming mindless drones.

Work hard in your education, because it's that which teaches you the things that you won't need. The chances are that you'll never need to know about long-shore drift, or that hydrogen burns with a pop, but you go through life with more knowledge than is necessary, and that's a wonderful thing. Teach yourself to learn and you'll never lose the habit.

I worked my arse off at A-levels and got average-to-poor results, but I learnt a huge amount about my subjects and ways to think. Those attitudes have stood me in good stead through the last ten years.

One addendum: even when you have a degree, it's very handy to have Maths and English at GCSE level. I would say that those two subjects are the single exception to the 'nothing matters once it's surpassed' rule.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Aug 26 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #20

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

^ I think maybe that this is only true for some schools.

I haven't done my GCSEs yet, but I've started a few courses already. In English, I think that we have only been taught (also for these SATs) how to answer the questions, but in subjects such as science and math, despite needing to get the course covered, being a very able school (I don't want to seem big headed or something but it's just truthful that my school is one of those clever ones that everyone is 'wow' about) we stop along the way of the course for discussions and more knowledge and question the teacher a lot to try and get the most out of the lesson. This is to the extent that we learn about black holes in biology lessons and such like, although we still get the whole course covered but to a higher level than needed.

I don't know if other schools are like this; I don't think that the local secondary school is at all like my school but perhaps private schools teach simlarly to my school.

Obviously we do need to learn how to answer the questions so that we do get good grades (the people in my school, many of them, they will cry if they get less than an A at GCSE and less than a B at A level... they are so strange) but I think maybe it is a bit too much to make a sweeping generlisation about teaching standards and education today. Although, obviously I haven't lived for very long so I haven't got much of a comparison and I haven't actually done the exams for GCSEs, so what I have said is probably silly.

I know that everyone says that they don't matter but there is no harm in trying (possibly a bit rich coming from me...). I would like to do well in my GCSEs, not only because my sister has done so well, but because I would like to get the courses I want in the 6th form and I think, coming from the school I do, that I would be very embarrassed to get anything below a B, maybe even getting a B would be embarrassing enough.

I guess it all depends on one's environment and schooling.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Daria
post Aug 26 2006, 06:35 PM
Post #21

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I found that good GCSEs have got me through crappy A levels- teachers and universities alike see that you got good grades and perhaps your AS levels were low because of a flukey bad exam.

Having said that, you should try hard and achieve for what you are worth.

On the "older siblings getting good grades before you" note- I had to put up with my sister being wonderful with grades, working hard and generally being star pupil. Then it was found out that she was very dyslexic and so made it seem all the more incredible. It is quite hurtful when parents say things like "Well, when your sister was doing her A levels, she made herself a time table of revision. Make yourself a time table too." as by now you would have thought that you are A- old enough to organise your own time and B- completely different from your siblings and so therefore may learn differently too. My way of dealing with these remarks was to rebel against them and do very little revision.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 26 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #22

I had it the other way around; my brother was naturally smart, so he didn't try hard and still aced everything! Now that's an annoying model to live up to!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Aug 26 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #23

My direction

Trust me, it's even worse when that's your boyfriend and two of your close friends tongue.gif

The way that grades are improving is that teachers are teaching precisely what is on the syllabus: namely they are telling you exactly what you will be tested on, and nothing else. Certainly that gets good results, but it doesn't result in a solid overall knowledge of the subject.

Not on my courses at my school. Maybe for Maths, but for Bio and Chem, I had to pretty much teach myself the syllabus - In Chem, because I had two excellent teachers who believed in independent learning and in teaching a range of information about the subject (including useful things which weren't on any syllabus), and in Bio because I had the worst teacher in the world. Dunno about GCSEs though, that may well be true.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post Aug 27 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #24

Obviously it depends on the teachers but I definitely got the impression I was being taught only what I needed to pass exams in some subjects. It might just be because there wasn't enough time to cover anything else though. In psychology I think we just learnt one or two subjects from each of the "only answer N questions from this section" sections, so we didn't have much of a choice in the exam. (Unless you decided to stay in bed instead of going to lessons and then teach yourself whatever seemed the most interesting later..)

On the other hand my gcse biology teacher couldn't last 5 minutes without going completely off topic and telling us various unrelated stories smile.gif

I had it the other way around; my brother was naturally smart, so he didn't try hard and still aced everything! Now that's an annoying model to live up to!

hooray for being the older brother biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 10:09 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!