Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steve Irwin bites the big one
That_Guy
post Sep 4 2006, 06:58 AM
Post #1

That_guy needs therapy!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 2,523

Wow. After a decade or so of being around dangerous animals on the Discovery channel, it almost seemed like he was invincible, or something.

But, nope. He ended up getting himself killed.

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray during a diving expedition, Australian media said. He was 44.

Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. said Irwin was diving near Low Isles Reef near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of the state capital of Brisbane.

Queensland ambulance service spokesman Bob Hamil confirmed that a diver had been killed by a stingray off Lowe Isles Reef but refused to say who the victim was until relatives had been notified.

A rescue helicopter was sent from the nearby city of Cairns, and paramedics from it confirmed the diver's death.

"The probable cause of death is stingray strike to the chest," Hamil said.

Staff at Australia Zoo, Irwin's zoo in southern Queensland, said they had heard the reports but could not comment.

Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter," which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has aired around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

Irwin had received some negative publicity in recent years. In January 2004, he stunned onlookers at the Australia Zoo reptile park by carrying his 1-year-old son into a crocodile pen during a wildlife show. He tucked the infant under one arm while tossing the 13-foot reptile a piece of meat with the other.

Authorities declined to charge Irwin for violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken.

Irwin was also seen as a vocal critic of wildlife hunts in Australia. The federal government recently dropped plans to allow crocodile safaris for wealthy tourists in the Northern Territory following his vehement objections.

Irwin told the Australian television program "A Current Affair" that "killing one of our beautiful animals in the name of trophy hunting will have a very negative impact on tourism, which scares the living daylights out of me."

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, and their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

*Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index...itn_irwinkilled

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Sep 4 2006, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

that is actually a real shame, |I know hes had some bad press but he honestly had a passion for animals and wanted to do good for them. sad.gif

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
Novander
post Sep 4 2006, 10:03 AM
Post #3

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

I remember there was a spate of rumours about Steve Irwin being killed by crocodiles a few years back. When those rumoured were proved false it seemed that nothing could kill him.

R.I.P.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Smiler
post Sep 4 2006, 01:04 PM
Post #4

Ooga Booga!! SMILE!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 1,379

By a stingray no less! Apparently he's only the 4th person in Oz to have died from a stingray nip.

My Sis is leaving to live in Oz for a year next week. One of her planned trips was going to be his zoo. She may still go but I doubt it'll be the same. Shame.

He could be irritating but there's no better telly than watching waiting for someone prodding a snake or gator with a stick to get bitten. Will miss him a bit I think, he was pretty funny.

Here's to Steve Irwin *Raises gator detailed goblet* RIP

--------------------
Presently defacto leader of the scuttler nation; conform, consume, o'smile for snaffie's sake --> A smile a day keeps th...Ah sod it...just SMILE!!!Some weird dragon lady gave me a cookie and said if I got in the van she'd adopt me. I ignored mummy and went with Wyvern & lookee here, I now have my own adoptee to cause chaos: Stardust_Smile...Official barman to Tribe Wyvern COME VISIT but beware the Monkey Overlords, they plan the demise of the hairless ones. Your house is at risk. Always read the label.

+Quote Post
Stardust_Smile
post Sep 4 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #5

x.Faeries Do It Better.x

Member No.: 2,101

I loved watching him on TV, he had so much enthusiasm for the animals, and especially the way he gave animals like crocodiles a good name. <3

He had the respect of so many people I knew that we even did a Steve Irwin sketch for a drama performance once.

R.I.P.

--------------------
*~*Megsy*~*
The Ickle Adoptee of Smiler Yarr! SMILE! :D

You've Just Been SPANGLED!!!
***Ryn's leiutenant Spangler Yay!***

I'm Rad You're Rad - LETS HUG!!!
You Don't Need The Sun To Make You Shine
Her LiveJournal ~ & ~ Her Myspazz

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Sep 4 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #6

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Bye Steve.

No longer shall you be referred to as "That crazy guy, y'know, with the crocodiles. You know, the Aussie bloke."

RIP Crocodile Hunter

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 4 2006, 05:07 PM
Post #7

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I remember some crazed, massively poisonous snake jumping at his perpetually naked calf muscles and Steve saying 'Feisty little fella, ain't he?'

What a bizarre way to die, having your heart pierced by a stingray.

Still, for the cruelty of calling his daughter 'Bindi Sue' you do wonder if there is some sort of karma going on... j/k.

He was a very entertaining man, not afraid to be a bit of a fool, to speak his mind, and to try and educate. We need more like him. RIP.

EDIT: On a lighter note (that he'd probably appreciate) what odds do you think you'd have had from a bookie that he wouldn't die by snakebite or croc attack?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Sep 5 2006, 12:41 AM
Post #8

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 4 2006, 06:07 PM) *
EDIT: On a lighter note (that he'd probably appreciate) what odds do you think you'd have had from a bookie that he wouldn't die by snakebite or croc attack?

You might have got very damn good odds on a stingray they are meant to be one of the most passive sea life.

He was a very passionate guy, and will be missed alot.

+Quote Post
Cookieflair
post Sep 5 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Oxymoronic Tonic

Member No.: 2,438

Although he was annoying you gotta love that enthusiasm!

He just seemed kind of invincible, after seeing him dodge snakes and crocs endlessly. But a stingray, i always thought they were docile *shrugs*

RIP mate smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 5 2006, 10:48 PM
Post #10

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

They can move fast when they want to. Irwin survived on his reactions, but you can't move so fast underwater. As soon as I heard about it I could imagine it: he must have seen it coming, but humans aren't designed for speed underwater. It must have been horrible to see it coming but know that you can't move out of the way in time. In some ways it's a blessing it went into the heart, at least it was near-instant.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Sep 5 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #11

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

RIP steve.

Every time I saw his show I would think "Now there's a guy that's gonna die young..." but now that it's actually happened...wow.

I remember some crazed, massively poisonous snake jumping at his perpetually naked calf muscles

I don't mean to be disrespectful towards the dead or anything but... since he seemed to never wear full-length pants... will they bury him in shorts?

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 6 2006, 01:29 AM
Post #12

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

I've already heard a couple of massively disrespectful jokes about his death. I guess that's a measure of how famous someone is.

G'bye mate.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
sirdudly
post Sep 6 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #13

Super advanced member

Member No.: 2,657

I hear Australia may have a state funeral for Mr. Irwin, depending on the wishes of his wife. The great things he did for the tourism and conservation of Australia will not soon be forgotten. R.I.P

--------------------
"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be really f***ed up" -Mitch Hedburg
When John McCain was my age, Alaska wasn't even a state.

+Quote Post
Felander
post Sep 9 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #14

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

I was actually more upset by Steve Irwin's death than any other celebrity death.

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 9 2006, 07:38 PM
Post #15

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

It's a real shame. The world has lost another absolute nutter, and I think we need a few more men like him.

I'll cop to never really being a fan, I found him a bit annoying onscreen. But he clearly had a huge amount of enthusiasm for wildlife, he did more than his bit for them, and you have to respect somebody who took that many insane risks.

RIP Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Sep 11 2006, 08:19 PM
Post #16

I could have written a short novel by this point

Member No.: 1,112

R.I.P. Crocodile Hunter

I liked the amount of enthusiasm he brought to appreciating wildlife. His wife, I seem to remember, is just as enthusiastic (nuts) but over large predatory mammals. She specialized in cougars.

My sympathy to his family in what must be a very sad time.

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Sep 12 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #17

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

R.I.P. Steve.

Too bad he pulled the thing out...he might have lived if he didn't.

Anyone else watch the 6 hour marathon about him? (watched 5 hours of it, the last segment was a repeat)

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 10:21 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!