Reply to this topicStart new topic
> University
Samorine
post Sep 7 2006, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Bump 'n' grind, Ciaran!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,649

I know I haven't been around for a while... but now I'm getting very desperate for guidance as to where I'm supposed to go for University. So far I have 5 out of my 6 choices... but most of them are maybes.
I just don't know where to go... Everywhere does maths!

So, I'm asking you... Matazonians! Is there a University that stands out in your mind for being wonderful in Maths? What about life around campus? Did you love the place you went and would recommend anyone else to apply!?

Anything, guys... I just need something!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Felander
post Sep 7 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #2

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

Bath is pretty good for maths so I hear, as is Bristol. Durham is good for maths too. They're all pretty prestigious institutions, but you shouldn't have any real woes academically in chosing a uni with a decent Maths course.

If you want a decent nightlife, you can't go far wrong in going to Manchester - it has a fantastic pubbing (and clubbing, if that's your thing) scene. I would definitely recommend Manchester for it's nightlife.

Hell, I'm just going on what I've heard so I'm no help at all. Wait till some of the Matazonian students arrive.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Sep 8 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

As far as night life goes, go for a university in or near a city, the accomodation will be more expensive, but you have more choice of places to go and you have less to worry about in reguards of getting home. Also keep in mind you'll be at university during the colder parts of the year, it can get fricking cold up north if you're not used to it. (I still maintain that it rained constantly from October to May in my second year of University.)

Oh yeah, don't go to University of Glamorgan, it's a hole.

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 8 2006, 09:47 AM
Post #4

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Cities can have very cheap housing if you're prepared to live in crappy areas. I'd judge where you're comfortable going compared to the prices you're prepared to pay.

I've no idea about what places have a good reputation. Reading is very good for sciences, and Southampton is too, and Maths is a related field, so maybe they would be good.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 14 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #5

My direction

Member No.: 495

Come to Imperial! It's supposed to be good for maths, I think >.> Ok, I have no idea, I'm just happy I got in there, and I've know one of the first year maths lecturers all my life tongue.gif

What Mata said - look at somewhere you'll be happy going to live. I can highly *not* reccommend Reading from that point of view - it's a disgustingly overpriced hell hole filled with chavs and teenage violence.

I looked at Bath before I really knew what I wanted to do, and it's a nice place to go, and has a decent maths course if that helps?

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Samorine
post Sep 14 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #6

Bump 'n' grind, Ciaran!

Member No.: 1,649

Really? Reading's bad?

Christ, I've never been further than Blackpool with the family. I have no idea what the Big Bad World is like ;D

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 15 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #7

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (Samorine @ Sep 14 2006, 05:00 PM) *
Really? Reading's bad?

Christ, I've never been further than Blackpool with the family. I have no idea what the Big Bad World is like ;D

Sarcasm detector isn't yet switched on, so I will take that in ernest.

My my you're going to have fun at uni biggrin.gif
A friend of mine was going to do maths somewhere. It may have been Warrick (sp?) but I can't remember.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 15 2006, 09:15 PM
Post #8

Remorseless posting machine

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 466

According to the Times Good University Guide, the best universities for maths are:

1 Cambridge
2 Oxford
3 Durham
4 Warwick
5 Imperial College
6 LSE
7 Univ Coll London
8 Bath
9 Bristol
10 Greenwich
11 Surrey
12 St Andrews
13 York
14 Nottingham
15 Leeds

I too would recommend a university in a city, so you don't become a complete hermit.

Cities can have very cheap housing if you're prepared to live in crappy areas. I'd judge where you're comfortable going compared to the prices you're prepared to pay.

*raises hand* Currently paying a staggering 33/week for my place, utilities not included. I come from London, so that's practically free.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Mata
post Sep 17 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #9

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

33 a week? *cries* Where are you studying?

From that list I'd go for Bristol. It's got a decent range of nightlife, it's not in the north so you won't freeze and be wet all the time, prices aren't too bad, and there's a lot of investment in culture in the place, so there are usually good exhibitions touring through there (One:Dot:Zero was there, for example). They've got a pretty decent art-house cinema right in the middle of town too.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 18 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #10

QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 17 2006, 11:45 AM) *
33 a week? *cries* Where are you studying?

*points to profile* The University of Sheffield, good sir. Sheffield's very easy on the wallet. I'm only getting a price like that because 1) I'm living with three other people and 2) we're all students, so there's no council tax.

From that list I'd go for Bristol. It's got a decent range of nightlife, it's not in the north so you won't freeze and be wet all the time, prices aren't too bad, and there's a lot of investment in culture in the place, so there are usually good exhibitions touring through there (One:Dot:Zero was there, for example). They've got a pretty decent art-house cinema right in the middle of town too.

Oi, enough of that tongue.gif I haven't noticed much difference between the climate here in Yorkshire and that of London, what with Britain being a tiny island.

--------------------
Every sort of expert knowledge and every inquiry, and similarly every action and undertaking, seems to seek some good. Because of that, people are right to affirm that the good is 'that which all things seek'...

+Quote Post
Witless
post Sep 18 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #11

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Sep 18 2006, 10:10 AM) *
Oi, enough of that tongue.gif I haven't noticed much difference between the climate here in Yorkshire and that of London, what with Britain being a tiny island.

I have! Snow's a novelty down here in London land, up north, snow gets heavy enough to stop the rail every flippin time I go up there. *shakes his fist at the snow*.

I also feel a lot colder up there.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
Felander
post Sep 18 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Obsessive

Can anyone recommend any good universities for Biomedical science?

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 18 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #13

Wait for the uprising

I have a feeling that a friend of mine who wanted to do BioMed is going to Manchester and another is going to Sheffield- the latter being better apparently, although I am not completely sure.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
CommieBastard
post Sep 20 2006, 10:58 AM
Post #14

QUOTE (Witless @ Sep 18 2006, 11:48 AM) *
I also feel a lot colder up there.

I don't, but it's possible that I'm dead inside.

--------------------

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 20 2006, 05:41 PM
Post #15

My direction

Cambridgeshire is bloody cold compared to Berkshire, and that's like, only a quarter of england higher tongue.gif

In all seriousness, though, it *is* generally a lot more bitter in the North. If it's not actually colder, it always feels it to me (and my family).

--------------------
Once opened consume within three days. Above post is not suitable for home freezing. Store in a cool, dry area.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 21 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #16

Wait for the uprising

Eeep. Aberdeen should be fun... Especialy for diving.
*Should really get a dry suit before going to uni*

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
sarahfelicity
post Sep 23 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,659

Biomedical science is what I'm applying for! Come to King's College, London - the course is perfect. Common Year One with all other degrees at Guy's Campus, then you literally customise your degree!!!!!

Queen Mary University of London is a lovely university and their biomedical science looks grea too, the same goes for Imperial College London.

Come to London with meeeeeeee!!!

+Quote Post
Felander
post Sep 25 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #18

Obsessive

I would apply there, but I will be submitting E, E, (in Biology and Chemistry respectively) C and B, on the promise that I achieve bitter in my re-sit year. So, yeah, I don't hold out hope for going to any decent uni.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Sep 26 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #19

Wait for the uprising

Remember that alot of universities put up their entry requirements because they are the "desirable" ones. Aberdeen, being the second northernmost university in the British Isles, only wanted CCD or BBB (first year/ second year respectively) but they have some of the most advanced deep-sea research facilities availiable, and a couple of research centres, their own aquarium which houses octopus and their own natural history museum. The degree is also very flexible; I could start out doing marine biology and finish with forestry if I wanted.
*shrugs* I guess biomed is very different though.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
{Gothic Angel}
post Sep 29 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #20

My direction

Come to King's College, London

I have a friend studying maths there. Greeneyes and I are both at Imperial College, so we're not a million miles away smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 08:26 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!