IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anticipating games, or not believing the hype..., What games will be good? What's just hype?
Mata
post Oct 10 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

It seems that games spend forever in the development/advertising stage, but not all of them live up to the hype, so what do you think's going to be good in the game world soon?

At the moment there's really only one title that I'm looking forward to, God of War 2. The first one is such a brilliant piece of design and storytelling that I have high-hopes for a sequel to follow it up. This said, the trailers that I've seen online do look very much 'more of the same', that's not a bad thing considering how finely tuned most of the first game was, but a little innovation definitely makes you feel better about shelling out your hard earned dracma. It would be really fun to see Kratos appearing at different points in time, taking part in epic battles, and there was a hint at something like this in one of the extra features of the first game; however, I suspect that was mostly a plot line that they had discarded rather than serious thoughts about the future.

Given that it's an EA game, I'd love to play a sequel to Black and it's reasonable to expect that there will be one too. In common with God Of War, when I picked up the controller to play Black I already knew what every button would do: it was instinctively right. Not many games give you that instant feeling of familiarity, but everything clicks the way it should. What really made an impression on me was the audio work on the game. Playing it with a friend, we'd be point off-screen to where the enemies were firing from because the directional audio was clear enough to give us a perfect sense of space. Oh, and it was fun blowing the hell out of everything! There's nothing announced yet, but it's an EA game so their business model will say that a sequel will happen.

The other one I'd like to play is Chikyuu Boueigun X (Earth Defence Force). I wanted to play Chikyuu Boueigun 2, the PS2 version, but it was never converted for the West. It's a simple game where you blow the living daylights out of aliens that are trying to destroy Tokyo (or somesuch city). Big guns, swarms of little aliens, gigantic alien spaceships to destroy, and fast pacing... My kind of game! It's coming out on the 360 though and I probably won't get one of those. Shame, but it sounds great!

As for games that seem like more hype than they deserve: sadly, many of the PS3 launch line-up have the potential to be 'seen it all before' games. Tekken in particular needs to raise it's game if it's going to be indespensible party gaming again like it once was. Motorstorm has loads of potential, but could equally end up a lot like Twisted Metal Black or other battle racers, it's very tricky to call.

I may well eat my hat on this one, but I get bad vibes from Okami. It's been in development for goodness-knows-how-long, which suggests that it's needed a lot of work, the mechanics of the game sound a bit limited, and it's playing purely off of having nice graphics. That doesn't mean that it can't all pull together to be a lot more than the sum of its parts (Ico for example), but that's more of a risk than a certainty. Clover Studios have made some very interesting games over the years, so it's got a fair chance of pulling this one off, yet I remain sceptical.

So what are you looking forward to? And what do you think is going to flop?

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Oct 11 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #2

That_guy needs therapy!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 2,523

Resistance: Fall of Man. I've had more than my fair share of Insomniac Games (Their Spyro series was practically synonymous with the Ps1), and I can't wait to get my new fix. The downside is, it's for the Ps3.

Halo3. It's not the Demigod of games Microsoft hypes it to be, but it's a decent shooter series.

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 11 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Resistance: Fall of Man is by Insomniac? I've just been playing through Rogue Trooper and was very impressed by how solidly contructed the game was. The graphics engine seemed pretty tight too, Azura I think it's called. I'll be interested to see what they can do on the next-gen machines.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Oct 11 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

I'm currently looking forward to Medievel total war 2 and Lego star wars 2 (original trilogy)

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
Novander
post Oct 11 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #5

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

Neverwinter Nights 2 comes out at the start of November. This is the game, I suppose, that I've been anticipating most this year. I expect it to be good. I expect it to be very good. I expect to immerse myself in it so deeply my uni work suffers as a result. And then I expect to suddenly and inexplicably grow bored of it when I'm about halfway through.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Oct 11 2006, 07:26 PM
Post #6

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Well, I don't know what games I'm looking forward to yet, but one that definatly did not live up to the commercials from last year was Tony Hawk American Wasteland. It made my 'Boringest Games Ever' list.

If there's ever a Star Wars Battlefront 3, I'm gonna get it right when it comes out.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
That_Guy
post Oct 11 2006, 09:20 PM
Post #7

That_guy needs therapy!

Member No.: 2,523

TH:AW was a total mess. I read in a preview that it would be a "huge, seamless world" instead of separate skateparks. Apparently, "seamless" means "Loading bars are replaced by long, pointless, boring tunnels".

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Insomniac to create a game that looks that dark. But then again, they've got a shiny new console to work with, and they probably want to test its limits.

--------------------
"Anarchism is the most irrational, anti-intellectual notion ever spun by the concrete-bound, context-dropping, whim-worshiping fringe of the collectivist movement, where it properly belongs."

Got lotsa Flash/ PHP skillz? Got lotsa time to kill? We need you!

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Oct 11 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #8

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

QUOTE (That_Guy @ Oct 11 2006, 05:20 PM) *
"Loading bars are replaced by long, pointless, boring tunnels".

And by little stars spinning around in circles.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 12 2006, 10:52 AM
Post #9

Crackdown on the 360 has the most 'next gen' design spec that I've heard. You can attack gang lords in any order, and you can weaken them by attacking their minions first. For example, if you take out their arms supplier they will be less well equipped when you come to fight the next aspect of the gang. The implementation of the ripple effect through the gang's structure sounds like the kind of thing that I've always hoped games would do! It's also got a lot of scope for co-op play, which I really enjoy.

The difficulty balancing of that kind of game will probably be a complete nightmare, so it could all go horribly wrong, but for the moment it sounds excellent.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Jonman
post Oct 14 2006, 07:06 PM
Post #10

Duck Hunter S Thompson

Member No.: 71

Hate to burst your bubble Mata, but Okami's getting serious kudos from the import crowd on the Edge forum. Preaching to the choir, perhaps, but aren't you and I choirboys anyway? Metaphorically, of course. On another note, that Chokyouin Boykinthing you refer to was released over here as 'Monster Attack'. Harder to find than snake's knees, mind. Well worth the price of admission, I'm told. Mainly because of the low price of admission - launched at a tenner.

As for me, I hate myself for wanting to get Disgaea 2. I know it'll swallow my life, but I can't help myself. Likewise for Final Fantasy 12. Both Mrs Jonman and I are looking forward to the new Zeldas (Wii/'cube and DS), and of course....

GUITAR HERO 2....two player co-op mode, with individually selectable difficulty levels, and bass, lead and rythym sections. Nice!

--------------------
Nearly two years in - about time for a new AV

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 15 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #11

I'm pleased to hear the Okami does deserve the hype, but there's been so much hype and so many delays I was beginning to have grave doubts. The last I heard in preview form about it sounded a few notes of discord, which often implies impending doom. I guess Clover have managed to make something interesting yet again!

Cheers for the Monster Attack tip, I'll see if I can track it down.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post Oct 16 2006, 02:42 AM
Post #12

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 15 2006, 05:22 PM) *
I'm pleased to hear the Okami does deserve the hype, but there's been so much hype and so many delays I was beginning to have grave doubts. The last I heard in preview form about it sounded a few notes of discord, which often implies impending doom. I guess Clover have managed to make something interesting yet again!

Cheers for the Monster Attack tip, I'll see if I can track it down.

Actually, the last I heard about it in preview form is that it'll be on par if not better than Zelda........

Yes, I do believe I'll be picking it up =)

And I'm excited for FFXII, even if it's a real-time fighting system now....... ;_;
(Ange sucks at real-time fighting systems)

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 16 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #13

The last I saw for a FFXII release date was March next year, which is a silly amount of time away yet! Has this changed?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Oct 16 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #14

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

My friend has it. He says it is exceedingly awesome. I don't know how he has got it- by magic I can only presume.

/me innocents.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 16 2006, 11:00 AM
Post #15

From what TG said, when you say 'real-time', do you mean that you have to control the character running around and swinging the sword? So it's not menu-based fighting anymore? Sues won't be happy about that; she's a guidebook-gamer, so I play while she gives instructions and watches the pretty stuff, but that's going to be more tricky if it's more like a third-person action game.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Oct 28 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #16

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

I've a myriad of games that I'd like.

Zelda: The Twilight Princess. I'll be getting the Gamecube version, I'd wager. No next gens for a poor college student (hell, probably no game, either, but that's really neither here nor there.) It's gonna be awesome, most assuredly. (Fully orchestrated soundtrack! Woo! Graphics! Woo!)

Okami. Even though it further lends credo to my conspiracy theory that the video game industry has bugged my brain (I had the idea for a Japanese watercolor graphic scheme a while back) but I love Clover Studio (WHY THE HELL ARE THEY BEING CLOSED?!) Looking forward to it, though... looks so good.

God Fist. Clover's newest, and presumably last game. It's gotten mix reviews, but the idea of making a "B video gamegame" is something that they actually didn't steal from me. Good idea, fun concept, hope it's good.

Disgaea 2. I know it's been out already, but I'm a big Nippon Ichii fan. I love and own Makai Kingdom, Phantom Brave, and LaPucelle Tactics. I'm still missing Disgaea, but I'll be picking up Disgaea 2 before it goes extinct.

Devil May Cry 4. No Dante as the main character, and this admittedly distresses me. However, i've checked the vids, and the main character seems to have his stuff in order. Plus there's that new devil hand thing. I hope he meets the guy from God Fist. In a fighting game. By Capcom. With all of their charcters. 2D. With super moves. And teams. Like MvC2. Sorry, it's kind of a fantasy of mine. I desperately want a 50+ character roster Capcom fighting game in the vain of MvC2.

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. My roommate and I are both really looking forward to this. Lots of characters, even more villains, and multi player. Sweeet.

Final Fantasy XII. I don't really know about the whole new battle system, but from the review I've read, the music is good, the story is epic, and the graphics are amazing.

Guitar Heroes 2. I don't have Guitar Hero, but my RA does and we play a lot. And this will lend itself to drinking and happy times.

Mario Galaxy. They took one of my gavorite graphical aspects of Ratchet and Clank: Up your Arsenal (the Petit Prince esque planets and whatnot) and it puts Mario there. It looks awesome tastic.

Other than that, I'd like to see a Marioi/Luigi game. With fireballs and growing of some sort, and there's a few others as well. There you go. My wishlist.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 02:49 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!