> New members can start new topics after two posts
Mata
post Nov 13 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Hi all,

After a while of cutting down on the amount of spam on these forums by using some quite strict settings, I've decided to open things up again.

You will now be able to start new threads after two posts; for example you could post in response to this thread, and once in another, then you are fully able to post anywhere you like.

The reason that there is are any restrictions at all is that there are a huge amount of spammers that try to access these forums on a daily basis, and without any controls at all then we would be flooded with adverts for sites featuring photographs of unnatural acts with animals and tablets that would probably allow you to perform such acts if you so desired. Given that I intend for this place to be early-teens upwards, I don't think this kind of thing is suitable (then again, it's not really suitable anywhere... But you get my drift). The point is, spammers tend to only post once or twice in any forum then go away, therefore if I can block those early spams then hopefully I can prevent that kind of rubbish turning up on here.

As before, there are forums in which you can post new threads immediately, such as 'personnal concerns', mainly because I feel that if a person needs help then there shouldn't be any restrictions on that, but the most popular forums now need for you to have joined in elsewhere a little bit first.

'Hope you all understand, and have fun on my forums.

Mata

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
~*Anni*~
post Mar 16 2007, 07:07 AM
Post #2

Novice Guppy

Group: New Members
Member No.: 3,284

That's a really good idea biggrin.gif:D:D:D

+Quote Post
MsUnderstood
post Apr 11 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #3

More proficient guppy

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 3,358

Hi all. I am new to the site, and looking forward to meeting people and joining in the forums. I am wondering if someone could help me understand how things work around here. I don't know why I keep getting messages that I can't post...something about the forum being locked? blink.gif Thanx. biggrin.gif

--------------------
A little insanity keeps life sane

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Apr 11 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #4

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

Says on your post count that you have 2 posts under your belt already, so you should be able to post where you like....not that I'm saying you should spam....but if you wanted to post a new thread...you could! How exciting's that?! tongue.gif

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
nordelen
post May 15 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #5

the monitor lizzards are coming!

Member No.: 299

o.k
i havent been around here in ages, so this seems as good a place as any to post, at least until i get my bearings again anyway. rolleyes.gif

i should really have said something more, shouldnt I? um, well, i have not been here in over two years so most of you wont know me, and those who did know me probably wont rmember me! laugh.gif
i might be on here a bit from here on in so...be afraid.....
laugh.gif

--------------------
let me FIND a lifestyle before you judge me on it

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 28 2007, 05:25 PM
Post #6

I remember you. Welcome back! What have you been up to for the last couple of years?

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
nordelen
post May 28 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #7

the monitor lizzards are coming!

Member No.: 299

oops! I disappeared again! Had to sort out some some computer hardware issues.

well, the reason I I havent been around for so long is because I got a temp job working in hospital labs as a medical lab assistant (yay! laugh.gif ). For those who dont know: the wages in this job suck, so I couldnt afford a computer. Anyway, about eight months into the job I got accepted for the same job in anouther hospital: this was also temp. But after a month or so in this job I got offered a perminant possition in ANOUTHER hospital! madness! laugh.gif
also durring this period alot of my freinds moved away; one to america and two to australia. This has prompted me to rethink what I want to do with the next few years of my life. Should I go back into education or should I try moving to anouther country for awhile? (I wouldnt be able to do both. I dont have the energy/motivation laugh.gif ). Ah well. Im sure an answer will fall into my lap eventually.

so hows things with yerself big lad?

--------------------
let me FIND a lifestyle before you judge me on it

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Aug 3 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #8

not forgotten

Member No.: 323

Hey all, I know I'm not exactly a newbie but given that I've not used the forums regularly for about three years I figured this was the best place to say "hi" again. Please treat me kindly I haven't had any decent internet access at ALL these last two years (the computers at local college and library have very strict filters and block a lot of forums) and between busting my laptop and battling the insurance company to get a new one - they finally sent me one two months ago but it was the wrong one and I nearly went crazy at the thought of another 20 months without a computer - I am somewhat tentatively back, anyone out there remember me? Feel free to pretend you do to spare my feelings tongue.gif

--------------------
Little solace comes to those who grieve
When thoughts keep drifting
As walls keep shifting
And this great blue world of ours
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Aug 3 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #9

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Porce!!! I remember you!
*hugs*
How's Scotland and stuff!?!?!

--------------------
IPB Image
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Aug 3 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #10

not forgotten

It's all good yeah - I ended up leaving uni after taking a gap year to sort my head out but I've just finished a one-year course in community work and been volunteering with a mental health advocacy group and a local support group/drop-in facility (mental health also) though in terms of paid work I'm currently working in Sainsbury's on the meat counter tongue.gif

Everything's pretty good right now though and my boyfriend (the one who I'd only known a few months when I last posted) and I are hoping to buy a house together in a few months. Not to mention the joys of the net! I've barely left the house except to work for the last four days - in fact I've barely left my armchair!

I'm so glad someone remembers me! I thought I'd be met by a bunch of people I didn't know all staring blankly and wondering who the heck I was but I recognise quite a few of the old names on the reent threads - yay! Anyways, how've you been yourself?

--------------------
As walls keep shifting
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 4 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #11

Hiya Porce! It's nice to see you again. I'm glad to hear things are going well.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
porcelainwarrior
post Aug 4 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #12

not forgotten

Hey it's good to see you too it's nice to be back I missed this place more than I realised I think.

... erm anyone fancy reminding me how to change my av? I just realised it's ridiculously out-of-date but other than it had something to do with photobucket I can't remember how I even managed to change it in the first place tongue.gif Sorry if I'm being dense.

--------------------
As walls keep shifting
Seems a
house of leaves

+Quote Post
selina
post Aug 4 2007, 05:57 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 4,357

i was about to give up when i saw this. no wonder i couldn't post, so im putting one up here. love your twisted mind mata.

+Quote Post
Radaga
post Aug 9 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #14

Super advanced member

Member No.: 2,189

When I registered it was slightly a LOT more than two posts, so I had to find creative ways to get my questions done, concerning the animations. Such as finding similar threads or semi-similar threads so I could post it without looking as a complete dork. smile.gif

--------------------
Pupil:Selina

IPB Image

After my last tangle with the no-meat bunch I decided that never again would an innocent animal die for my supper. Since then I've eaten only vegetarians.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 9 2007, 11:33 PM
Post #15

Porce: at the top of the page there is a 'My Controls' link which leads you to a page with 'Edit avatar settings' on it.

Selina: Sorry about the problems with posting new stuff. I get several new spammers per-day registering on these forums and by filtering their first couple of attempts at starting threads I usually can prevent them from bothering the forum members. Thanks for the compliment. Personally I think life is more interesting if you don't take it all so literally, so being slightly odd is a survival trait.

Rad: Yep, it was previously I lot higher. I think it was 50 posts for a while. The forums have become a lot more quiet since I've not had time to update the animations, so dropping the limit has been okay. It was definitely needed for a while - there was way too much spam to patrol and I'd rather lose some people to irritation than lose everyone in a flood of spam!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Radaga
post Aug 10 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #16

Super advanced member

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 9 2007, 08:33 PM) *
Porce: at the top of the page there is a 'My Controls' link which leads you to a page with 'Edit avatar settings' on it.

Selina: Sorry about the problems with posting new stuff. I get several new spammers per-day registering on these forums and by filtering their first couple of attempts at starting threads I usually can prevent them from bothering the forum members. Thanks for the compliment. Personally I think life is more interesting if you don't take it all so literally, so being slightly odd is a survival trait.

Rad: Yep, it was previously I lot higher. I think it was 50 posts for a while. The forums have become a lot more quiet since I've not had time to update the animations, so dropping the limit has been okay. It was definitely needed for a while - there was way too much spam to patrol and I'd rather lose some people to irritation than lose everyone in a flood of spam!

I am an admin at another forum, and I know what you mean. Ours, since it is way smaller, we control by manually approving people who register before they can even view the forum.

--------------------

IPB Image

After my last tangle with the no-meat bunch I decided that never again would an innocent animal die for my supper. Since then I've eaten only vegetarians.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Aug 10 2007, 02:02 PM
Post #17

At one point I was getting around ten spammers registering compared to real people, and that was just daft! I had a forum on http://www.stickscene.com , but it got bombarded with spam as soon as the BBC linked to the site so I had to shut it down. Spam is such an enormous irritation to people who run websites. I can see why it exists, but I can't help wonder if the people who look after the infrastructure of the web are really doing everything possible to stop it.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Radaga
post Aug 11 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #18

Super advanced member

QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 10 2007, 11:02 AM) *
At one point I was getting around ten spammers registering compared to real people, and that was just daft! I had a forum on http://www.stickscene.com , but it got bombarded with spam as soon as the BBC linked to the site so I had to shut it down. Spam is such an enormous irritation to people who run websites. I can see why it exists, but I can't help wonder if the people who look after the infrastructure of the web are really doing everything possible to stop it.

Spam in the internet is analogue to children working at factories in the industrial revolution.

It is a crude, simple, easy and cheap way to get a job done, be it manufacture or advertising.

Similar to child labor, it is also abhorrent, and similarly, I hope, it will be eradicated once people start to be more familiar with the net and computers per se.

If everyone knew how to fight spam, block and ignore bogus "warnings", it would have no place at all to exist.

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
selina
post Aug 13 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #19

I dont know much about how you guys get to manage these forums but is there no software or some add-on or plugin that acts like a firewall for forums? I understand why mata has make that posting rule, and why you[radaga] have to approve all new members in yours, but i think the posting rule works better unless you have the time to go through all the membership registries. i dont know if those spammers can go around the posting rule, but i haven't seen a spam post yet since i joined.

+Quote Post
Radaga
post Aug 13 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #20

Super advanced member

QUOTE (selina @ Aug 13 2007, 07:11 AM) *
I dont know much about how you guys get to manage these forums but is there no software or some add-on or plugin that acts like a firewall for forums? I understand why mata has make that posting rule, and why you[radaga] have to approve all new members in yours, but i think the posting rule works better unless you have the time to go through all the membership registries. i dont know if those spammers can go around the posting rule, but i haven't seen a spam post yet since i joined.

Oh, but in my case it´s a little deeper than spam. The problem is we all know each other, and we share private info, phones, addresses and weekly meeting places, and we do feel more comfortable if no one can see it.

3 years of age my forum have:

Os nossos Usuários colocaram um total de 126050 mensagens
Temos 295 Usuários registrados

(126050 messages)
(295 users)

as you see, we are very small. But we all know each other personally, or at least with only 1 degree of sepparation.

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
selina
post Aug 15 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #21

oh i see,

random question: is that spanish?

+Quote Post
Radaga
post Aug 15 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #22

Super advanced member

QUOTE (selina @ Aug 15 2007, 09:03 AM) *
oh i see,

random question: is that spanish?

Close. Portuguese, actually. I am a matazonian pioneer, trodding paths never ventured before in the name of LGG, guided by Lapin´s ideals, sponsored by SnaffleBruger´s Company and with the company of a psycho kitty here in Brazil.

--------------------

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 9 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (selina @ Aug 13 2007, 11:11 AM) *
I dont know much about how you guys get to manage these forums but is there no software or some add-on or plugin that acts like a firewall for forums?

Sadly no. It got to the point where I was deleting dozens of accounts every day, trying to filter real ones from the fakes, but this posting rule has eliminated nearly all spam. It's not ideal, but most spammers only try to post once, so it does the job and keeps some quite horrible links from getting on here (one memorable spam before I got severe about this was links to sites involving people and animals in unusual circumstances).

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
David J Rodger
post Feb 14 2008, 05:13 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 7,688

QUOTE (Mata @ Oct 9 2007, 11:22 PM) *
QUOTE (selina @ Aug 13 2007, 11:11 AM) *
I dont know much about how you guys get to manage these forums but is there no software or some add-on or plugin that acts like a firewall for forums?

Sadly no. It got to the point where I was deleting dozens of accounts every day, trying to filter real ones from the fakes, but this posting rule has eliminated nearly all spam. It's not ideal, but most spammers only try to post once, so it does the job and keeps some quite horrible links from getting on here (one memorable spam before I got severe about this was links to sites involving people and animals in unusual circumstances).

Hello from Bristol, UK

¦ dialling in from workstation ¦

Hello everyone, I hope this finds you well. I found this place whilst browsing, a nice discovery.

I'm 37, a writer/photographer and a project manager (blech!) based in Bristol, working in Bath, and looking forward to driving home tonight through open countryside, rolling Sommerset hills shrouded in fog, and settling down in front of a roaring log fire (if girlfriend can get it to light this time).

I'm quite real Mata, so please don't delete me.

Peace

David

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 15 2008, 03:08 AM
Post #25

QUOTE (David J Rodger @ Feb 14 2008, 05:13 PM) *
I'm quite real Mata, so please don't delete me.

Prove it! biggrin.gif *pokes with long stick*

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd September 2014 - 04:45 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!