IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Amazon search-boxes or suggestions?
Amazon boxes
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Mata
post Dec 29 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As regulars will know, I try to make money from this site, but I also try not to annoy anyone who visits while I'm doing this. In the interests of continuing this, I thought I'd find out which people prefer to have at the bottom of the Matazone pages (the forums, the animations, and the Trouble Down Pit webcomic) - more to the point, I would like to know which you feel you are most likely to use to start a shopping trip.

While I'm not up for forcing you to buy anything you don't want to, sadly we live in a very capitalist world, and if you're going to be shopping then I'd rather try and get some of the money that would otherwise be going to Amazon! I've done my best to make these things as discrete as possible, and I hope I've done well at that, but to make this site viable it's very helpful to have advertising and the Amazon links on here. Please pick which you prefer and I'll review the status of this in about a week or two.

Thanks!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hobbes
post Dec 30 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Advice for the young at heart

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 33

I am more likely to go for a spontaneous Amazon spree via the suggestion box because something might turn up in the suggestions (and has done) that I take a look at, and then go on to explore a little more. The search box is fine, but I am only really going to use it if I am already planning on taking a look on Amazon. The suggestions are far more likely to spark a shopping spree :]

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Dec 31 2006, 01:48 AM
Post #3

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Search Boxes are my preferance because I usualy know what I'm looking for. I'll browse at work or wherever, then come home go via the Search Box on your site and check if any of my family want anything so that I can make a bulk order. Although I foreplan what I am going to order, sometimes I've added items that Amazon he thrown up on their page, but that's a rarity. I can be quite perverse so find suggestion boxes a hinderance rather than a help. Can't recall seeing anything in the Suggestion Boxes that catches my eye.

Guess the reason for my preferance can be summed up by my view of using the Amazon links (search) on your site as a way to make sure I get you your dues when I shop at Amazon by quickinly getting to the item I want, as opposed to seeing things that catch my eye with the suggestions.

I'm far more spontanniouly friverlous with cash purchasing, than with card purchasing. Of course I accept that I was introduced to the Search Boxes first, and so am more used to and comfortable using them over the Suggestion Boxes.

Is there a way you can get one of each on the pages, which will direct the shopper to the relevant Amazon site (US/ UK/ etc) based on their ISP fingymajig?

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Dec 31 2006, 04:00 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Dec 31 2006, 01:48 AM) *
Is there a way you can get one of each on the pages, which will direct the shopper to the relevant Amazon site (US/ UK/ etc) based on their ISP fingymajig?

Err... Probably, but I don't know it. Personally I like having easy access to both: I do a lot of my shopping on the .com site because they release DVDs about nine months ahead of us and usually with better special features or more footage.

It's looking like a strong swing in the favour of the search boxes so, unless the poll suddenly switches, I'll reinstate them when I get time to fiddle with the code.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Novander
post Jan 1 2007, 09:59 PM
Post #5

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

You missed out on a 60 order I made a few days ago because of a lack of search boxes. But don't worry, I'm sure it won't be too long before I go on another cd-buying bender

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 2 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #6

There we go. I've put the search boxes back on the forums. I think I'll leave the suggestions below Trouble Down Pit for the moment because I think that they may be more productive than search boxes in that context.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Jan 4 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I'm smart and just voted for the wong thing.... Sorry for messing up your poll!

At any rate, I keep telling my dad to go through your site everytime he buys something off of Amazon, and he keeps refusing* to. He just bought a $300 dollar camera. =( I was a bit upset with him.

(*refusing in the sense that he's too lazy to remember what I keep telling him and acctually go to matazone )

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Mata
post Jan 4 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #8

Humbug! If it weren't for the rather disturbing images, I'd say that he deserves a good spanking... But that would be very scary indeed, so I won't.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 03:50 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!