IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Poll... C'mon you know you wooonka!
The BreakFast Club trends...
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
TeRi
post Jan 21 2007, 04:38 AM
Post #1

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 3,092

Has anyone seen the movie The Breakfast Club?
Wait Wait Wait...better question...Who HASNT seen The Breakfast Club!?!

Anyways, every person falls into a category like one of these...
Personally I am a mix of a few... The Nerd & The Weirdo mostly!

What are you?

--------------------
YAY! Congratz Jordy & Jebbie!!!
Lucy, Jam, Hershall Gerard II, Steve McQueen and Jeb Jr. born Jan 20th 2007!!!

"If Life Ain't Just A Joke, Than Why Are We Laughin'!?" ---Dead!

TOO MY BABY BOO! MWAZ! LOVE YA!!!

SXE
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Jan 21 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

I love the breakfast club. when I was younger I would have very easily have ticked one or two of those boxes (they might have been labeled slightly differently due to the shifting vernacular associated with the passage of time though). But the older I get the more I just don't need to label myself, I never liked labeling myself back then but now I don't at all. I'm fairly confident of what I am not, as for what I am, I'm happy enoough with myself that labels need no longer apply.

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post Jan 21 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #3

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

I haven't seen the Breakfast Club. I also don't like labeling myself, that's for other people to do... I just be myself.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jan 21 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #4

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

option 6 [x] Einstein-wannabe/caffeine-zombie/arty/art-hating/pseudo-intellectual/daft/cool/anti-cool/easy-going/stubborn/open -minded/pretentious.

Yeah.. that's me!

well.. sometimes. I am different depending on mood!

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
Stardust_Smile
post Jan 21 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #5

x.Faeries Do It Better.x

Member No.: 2,101

I've never seen the Breakfast Club. Could someone who has give us a brief explanation of what is about? I'm sure I can't be the only one who hasn't seen it... unsure.gif

Personally, I think the 'label' issue is hyped up too much by the media. So if you go to school/college you feel pressured to conform to a certain social role or label. And even if you do your best to stay away from these labels, then your peers end up giving you a label anyway based on either what music you listen to, who you hang out with or how you dress. I dislike labels because I think people get judged too much by the group that they apparently 'fit into'.

I used to sit with a group of girls in my tutor that had all dyed their hair black because they wanted to be goth. I'm a natural blonde, who fully intends to stay blonde, based on the fact that 1. I am nowhere near being a goth, I just sit with people who want to be one, and 2. I adore my blonde hair too much. I dislike labels of any kind because I'll wear a variety of styles and i'll listen to a range of music genres. But because I sat with these girls, everyone automatically assumed that I was the next in line to 'turn goth', and so I used to constantly be asked when I was supposedly going to dye my hair black and become depressed. When infact I'm probably the happiest and bounciest girl in my college.

So from personal experience I do not label myself, as it makes me feel like I'm a can of soup or something. Instead I'm just myself and people have to accept me for that. smile.gif

--------------------
*~*Megsy*~*
The Ickle Adoptee of Smiler Yarr! SMILE! :D

You've Just Been SPANGLED!!!
***Ryn's leiutenant Spangler Yay!***

I'm Rad You're Rad - LETS HUG!!!
You Don't Need The Sun To Make You Shine
Her LiveJournal ~ & ~ Her Myspazz

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 21 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #6

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

Am I the only one who finds labels fun? I don't know which one I'd be unfortunately.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jan 21 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #7

happy.. sad.. happy

call me a cynic.. but I have the feeling any person on this board that posts is going to say the same thing.

don't like labels.. etc, etc, etc, I am just myself... etc, etc, etc..

Now slap me/shoot me/ call me names if you will.. but in order to steer this topic away from "going no where oblivion", I am going to suggest, that the statements of being ourselves and not liking labels may not work here because.. well most of the regulars on this board would probably all come under similar labels anyways.

Speaking to a lot of people on the boards has taught me that certain phrases seem to ring true for a lot of people who are attracted to an online forum community centred around characters like little goth girl and mr snaffleburger. Stuff like frustration with society, well developed sense of sarcasm, and a twisted sense of laughing at slightly 'wrong' things. Those are things I get hanging out with forumites online and at meets that I don't really get at places like my old work places.

So yeah people are all different blah blah blah. But I would hardly call the matazone a truelly random cross section of personality types. So I suppose a more helpful poll would probably have been a poll actually differentiating matazonions from other matazonians, like, "if you had to dye your hair what colour would you choose?" Or "Why did you come to matazone?" Or the more fun, "Ice cream or chocolate?".. No scrap the last one, that might cause a matawar.

Anyways.. I have a point to this post.. urm.. whhat was it again? Oh yeah!

I don't think labels never work. It's just if you're going to ask a group of people all within a community their label they're likely going to give you a similar answer (you could argue that's a sign that they all come under the same label! But I won't.. for fear of flames). In the case of the matazone we all seem to feel a distaste for social trends and so a lot of us are going to reject attempts to align ourselves with any of the labels in a poll.

If you went to the forum of a emo bands web community then a lot more would tick emo/weird, if you went to a coder web forum then a lot more of them might tick nerd.

I hope this a helpful reply smile.gif These topics tend to all end the same way, with people explaining over and over how labels are bad and how they are themselves.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Jan 21 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #8

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Hmm, if asked to describe myself, I wouldn't use any of the choices in the poll, but on the other hand, I have no real problem with people labeling me, as a metalhead, or as asian, or as a geek, or whatever they feel comfortable thinking of me as.

I'm not sure that I agree with Witless's thoughts that we're all similar on here, whilst we don't cover that wide a continuum, I would say we still have a wide enough range not to be labeled as one.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Novander
post Jan 21 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #9

Take apart your head

Member No.: 1,599

One of my housemates, when he's back home, refers to me as Emo John. I don't have a problem with labels. I can be emo and still have my own identity. It describes me but it doesn't define me. Also, it makes it easier to shop online.

Also, Breakfast Club came out in 1985, when the emo scene was pretty much limited to hardcore punk bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace in Washington DC, and had none of the goth influences you see in today's emo scene. Also, I use the word also too much.

--------------------
IPB Image
I exist on Last.fm, LiveJournal and Facebook. And occasionally in Real Life.

+Quote Post
I_am_the_best
post Jan 21 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #10

Dirty Laundry

Member No.: 1,573

I have decided that I am the nerdy type because I am close with the music department, IT department and math department. I would make an awesome emo though.

--------------------
Emma <3 James <3
"Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good, just and beautiful, of which it is the invisible, but nevertheless dazzling, passionate, and eternal form." - Plato

+Quote Post
Witless
post Jan 21 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #11

happy.. sad.. happy

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Jan 21 2007, 01:27 PM) *
I'm not sure that I agree with Witless's thoughts that we're all similar on here, whilst we don't cover that wide a continuum, I would say we still have a wide enough range not to be labeled as one.

Well.. it depends how closely you look at us.. as one of us, I wouldn't say I feel alike to you guys that closely. But more objectively as someone from a totally different social group looking in on us, I'd say they'd see us as pretty similar.

Just like aliens from another world probably would call everyone on the entire planet the same and might struggle to tell us apart.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Jan 21 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #12

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

Stereotypes seriously get on my nerves sometimes... mostly at school where everyone labels everyone.
I am somewhat nerdy because I do well in school, turn in all my homework, and even sometimes skip lunch to finish a project, but I wouldn't consider myself a nerd.
Emo? No way. Weirdo? Yeah, sorta. But not emo weird, just.. regular weird. But I think everyone's weird in a weird way.
Meh, I hang out with some preppy people, but these people aren't uberly preppy. They just like Holister, Abrocrombie, a few other brands, and hanging out on the beach. But I am not prep.
I love to play Football/Soccer and run track (and maybe some beach volleyball) but other than that no where near jocky.
As for Criminal/Gansta, I despise all people that act/dress like that. I am not aloud to eat outside at school anymore because of them.

So, I dunno what that would make me;I didn't vote. If there was a rocker/mosher option, that's what I'd be.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Jan 21 2007, 11:22 PM
Post #13

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

Arghh! Mmmrrf. I remember middle school and having these exact discussions every Tuesday. It was kind of like "slap another big sticky sticker on yourself Tuesday", like a pizza deal but less delicious. I agree with Witless in that we're all pretty similar simply by not appreciating or using labels, and that we can be defined by that sensibility. There are some other aspects that are similar among forum-ers, generally we are willing to ask questions, to align ourselves with more liberal political groups, to like "arty" things, etc. But it is definitely true that the biggest similarity among us is a sort of belief in the importance of individuality that's applied throughout most age groups.

Anyway, labels are short cuts that allow people to try and understand others quicker. When I was thirteen, I started high school with the pigheaded and naive notion that I would take every effort to avoid being labeled by my peers. It's developed into a kind of habit for me, an unconscious but constant undercurrent and frankly it takes too much out of me. All it has resulted in is a wider label than "goth" or "arty" and made me more self-obsessed and alienated than ever. How stupid!

People will constantly use labels. Clothes and ways of speaking and religion and diet all inform us about the person behind all these things and make us more capable of guessing why they are preferred. They are hints and shortcuts, so obviously we're going to try and use them to get ahead, socially or in the business world or for any personal end. I've come to believe that it isn't much use to try and fool other people into not being able to label you, but for reasons I'm sure you all can understand I have little respect for people who would rather plug into a group sensibility that covers all aspects of life than come up with their own opinions.

This is a rambly mess. I think too much. Sorry. Just tick me as the weirdo.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
bryden42
post Jan 22 2007, 08:35 AM
Post #14

Flash Gordon Wannabe

Member No.: 1,984

The breakfast club, was a film made by legendary "teen director" john hughes. It chronicles a day in detention on a saturday of a bunch of very socially incompatiible characters. The list goes thusly:

A Jock
A Rebel
A Beauty Queen
A Brain
A Weirdo
(cant remember if this covers all the characters)

It details their day and how they actually start getting on and appreciating each other. Its 80's and kitch and as long as you ignore the dance scene its worth a watch.

--------------------
I like your house... can I come in!
S P A N G L E D by Faerieryn

what I do when I have too much time on my hands My Devart page

+Quote Post
Felander
post Jan 22 2007, 08:36 PM
Post #15

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

I wouldn't really classify myself as anything. Tbh, I'm just a Normal Guy.

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Jan 26 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #16

I've been brainwashed

Group: Admin
Member No.: 526

All I'm going to say is Breakfast Club is my favorite film ever sooo.......
(is also getting Deja vu from this topic and cant figure out why)

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post Jan 26 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #17

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Cath @ Jan 26 2007, 02:52 AM) *
All I'm going to say is Breakfast Club is my favorite film ever sooo.......
(is also getting Deja vu from this topic and cant figure out why)

Ok so I'm not the only one who vaguely remembers a thread like this that did mention the Breakfast Club as well.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Jan 26 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #18

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

We're missing the point here. The breakfast club was a film about how labels mean nothing and that inside us all we are all a weirdo, a jock, etc etc. Myself personally I like being labelled a weirdo. I consider it a touch of a compliment. How boring would some who's "normal"'s life be?

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Daria
post Jan 26 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #19

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I love The Breakfast Club, and the theme song makes me cry.

Hi, I'm Becky and I am a weirdo.
I'm not _really_, but it is the easiest thing to use to describe myself to the hoardes of people who can't quite get their minds over labels, tags and genres. Either that, or a ridiculously sarcastic comment that usually brings about an odd look or just silence. Being friendly but simple is always more successful.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Wytukaze
post Jan 27 2007, 12:07 AM
Post #20

Carcinogenic Donkey

Member No.: 1,656

Whatever. Nerd.

--------------------

JERUSALEM, Israel (AP) - In response to Israel's denial of water to the West Bank, HAMAS released three cheetahs in West Jerusalem, where they went on a killing spree, mauling four Jews and injuring thirteen.

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) - Following a cheetah attack on West Jerusalem perpetrated by the majority HAMAS party, the Israeli Air Force retaliated by detonating twenty kiloton nuclear devices over Gaza City, Jenin, Nablus, Rafah, and Ramallah.

ASHDOD, Israel (AP) - As a result of the atomic bombings of five Palestinian cities, a 50-foot tall reptile has woken from its million-year slumber in the Mediterranean Sea. The monster has made landfall at Ashdod and obliterated the city. Eyewitnesses report that the monster left the destroyed city heading southeast.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 04:38 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!