Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ico or games like it?
Pixelgoth
post Feb 21 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

Hi all. I've just started my MA elective module and it's working with the creative games MA students to come up with an interactive multimedia game for a museum in Preston (Harris). I've been told by my fellow group members that they like the idea of something along the lines of Ico for the PS2. Does anyone know anything about it? Can you recommend similar games that I might be able to get cheaply or borrow??

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Feb 21 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #2

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Member No.: 1,105

ICO itself is pretty cheap, it's just a pain in the ass to find... I tink they're selling it for around $20?

The same guys who did ICO also did Shadow of the Colossus. Similar elements, similar characters, similar price.

Um... similar games. Some similar elements also pop up in "Silent Hill 2" but it's markedly more violent and darker, losing much of the themes of innocence and storybook romance that ICO has.

---

Your group seems to want something quiet, emotionally moving, timeless, beautiful, and with very little controversy or violence. It makes sense, but I think you've got a lot of work lined up for you. Games like ICO are one in a million. All the best.

For more information, this is a pretty good page.

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Sir Psycho Sexy
post Feb 21 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #3

Technically a giant, intellectual midget.

Member No.: 197

if you wanna try sourcing the games, best bet would be www.gameplay.co.uk, they're pretty reliable and in most cases knock 5 off high street prices.

edit:
*cough* also, mata would probably appreciate you using amazon...they do similar prices >_>

--------------------
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Feb 22 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #4

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Thanks guys.

Mike - our group isn't looking to make the next big game for the PS2 or XBOX 360 laugh.gif We're just a bunch of students trying to come up with a concept for a virtual museum reality that we can use to educate people. I WISH we could come up with the next big game as I could stop studying and retire on the profits biggrin.gif Thanks for the tips though. I'll have a look around.

SPS - ta for the tips. I'll have a look around. Perhaps I'll just venture into my nearest Game Station and ask them if they've got a cheap copy.

I'm supposed to be getting a demo off my blokes best mate but they are both notoriously cr*p at remembering to do stuff. Typical man *ducks*

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Feb 22 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #5

Heh. I figured you wouldn't be trying to develop a revolutionary game, the only point I was trying to make was that you are setting the bar very high - and reasonably so. It's like writing a novel with "A Tale of Two Cities" as your guide, or directing your first movie with "Casablanca" as your template. It's a good thing. Keeps your standards up.

I was thinking... you might also want to try "Legend of Zelda: The Twilight Princess" for a similar feel, thematic material, and graphics. And, while I'm sure the core of the game is the polar opposite of what you want in your material, take a look at some of the screens from games like "Gears of War." I'm kind of assuming what you are looking for is something picturesque? The trend of bloom lighting has done wonders for it.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.

+Quote Post
Crazy
post Feb 22 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #6

9 Year Old Prodigy

Member No.: 3,155

I want WoW

+Quote Post
PsychWardMike
post Feb 24 2007, 04:24 AM
Post #7

What the Hell does that have to do with anything?!

Back on track: a few games you might want to look at for a rough foundation in environments are Myst, Riven, Exile, Uru, etc. They do environments and puzzles fantastically.

--------------------
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Feb 24 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #8

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

More info and links about Ico http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/ico?q=ico

Like Mike says, have a look at the Myst games. They are often static puzzle-based games with no time limit. That genre is called 'point and click games'. There is even free software out there to help you make your own, which could be very handy for you! http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd November 2014 - 06:35 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!