Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Switching Provinces, everything back in the car
Ashbless
post Mar 12 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #1

I could have written a short novel by this point

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,112

I've decided to try my luck again in British Columbia. My last attempt, over a year ago, went horribly not as well as I'd hoped.
It's less than a week until everything I have here gets packed up in the car. I find my emotions shifting between excitement and fear, happiness and regret.
I'll pick up my cat as I travel through Edmonton. I never did get a pet friendly space that would allow him to join me.
So, who here likes the madness that is moving days?

--------------------
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Mar 12 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #2

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I hope it goes better for you in British Columbia this time!

I hate moving! I've done it faaaar too often. Every time I attempted to switch states in the US, it went horribly. So far switching countries is going pretty well, but then again I'm not legal to work yet so I haven't searched for a job or anything. I almost have all of my stuff across the Atlantic, and don't plan on moving again for a loooong time. I don't envy you right now! smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Mar 12 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Lord of the Keys

Member No.: 1,329

I kind of like moving (although I've only done it one and a half times.) I like helping people move--I've had much more experience with that. There's something incredibly nice about being able to stick a life into a bunch of boxes and lug it to a new place. Of course it helps if you have a good long time to do it all in and good list skills. Making lists of what needs to be packed up, nice new Sharpie markers and piles of packing tape that can be used to make sculpture once you've finished (link)--and then looking around an empty room and skidding through it with socks on.

It will be exciting to see your cat again, I'm sure. Best of luck with getting to BC and even more for when you get there!

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Mar 13 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #4

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Oh man, not a big moving person. 3 times, but it's not so much changing location I mind as losing the old familiar house and leaving all the friends behind. Good luck with everything <3

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 13 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #5

I'm a person who easily gets stuck in a routine as well. So I find that moving throws my routines out the window for a small time period. If I can set up a good routine to fall into when I reach the coast then I'll do fairly well, I think.
I'll miss my aliases. smile.gif Workmates have decided that I very much resemble a somebody named "Debi". So I've been Debi at work. At my friends Aunty Val is smooshed by their little ones into Annabelle. So my name at my friend's place is Annabelle. My stepmother has a name for me as well but this is a family friendly forum. My private name for her is of a similar nature. Wonder what I'll be named next?
Packing proceeds slowly.

--------------------

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning, It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. - SpeakertotheLost

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Mar 13 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #6

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

My stepmother has a name for me as well but this is a family friendly forum. My private name for her is of a similar nature.

And it's little things like that that keep me coming to these forums. biggrin.gif

The process of moving is tiring and stressing, but I always think that the arrival at the new home is worth it. I've always loved checking out the new town, wandering around empty rooms (thinking about what will go where) and making list of things that should be done or bought for the new place. It all has (for me) a calming effect of order after the chaos of the actual move.

And don't worry about your routine - humans in general have a way of making a routine out of things without thinking about it. So, in summary, try to not worry about it all too much because as stressing as it can be, it's also a great oppurtunity for change.

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 14 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #7

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I love moving! I have done it about 8 times all around the same county, and now I have moved to London. But it doesn't feel like a proper move as I haven't got all my stuff with me, and I still have a room in the family house. I know what it's like to be missing your cat, too.

Good luck with the move- don't forget that books are best put in crates and wrapped in see-through plastic, don't leave any boxes behind and most importantly, have the essentials that you will need in the first couple of days in one box so that you don't have to go rooting about in everything to find a fork to eat tea with.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Mar 14 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

QUOTE (Daria @ Mar 14 2007, 05:19 AM) *
a fork to eat tea with.

Eh, tea means dinner right? 'Cause otherwise, that is really weird. tongue.gif

I hate moving. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. All the packing and unpacking.. the leaving the friends... absolutely hate it.

Have fun though! And don't forget your toothbrush!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 14 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #9

About seven years ago I traveled around BC and Alberta living out of a backpack. Next week I'll do the same. Most of everything immediately needed will go into the fold-up suitcase (about the size of a duffle bag) and, yes, the same backpack. Friends and family have offered couch and kitty friendly space. Hooray!

Once I've found a place I find I like unpacking. It's Christmas like in that you find treasures in boxes. The stuff that's been in storage for over a year now will hopefully be finally reclaimed in July.

All my treasures, save those lost in the shuffle, will be mine again.

Of some interest moving wise is when I did a vicious hack job fairly significant sort of my library. I took over $100 worth of book credit into the local used book store. I gave the credit to the Aunts that looked after me that January. I'm a bibliophile verging on biblioholic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 14 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #10

Wait for the uprising

The unpacking really IS the best.

Izzy- I am English (quite through and through, I am afraid) and therefore "tea" is the meal at about 6 o'clock in the evening. Dinner is usually later, at about 8pm, and more substantial. (You have one or the other, not usually both.)

Just to clear things up; coffee is usually had at about 10:30 ish am with a piece of cake, supper is had at about 9pm and brunch is held at about 11:30 am.

I am being slightly sarcastic during this post, but less so than you would actually think. My family has tea parties.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
monkey_called_na...
post Mar 15 2007, 07:17 AM
Post #11

I'm an inefficient bear. Maul.

Member No.: 408

is it me or do the english have 8 meals a day?

moving is fun, i move alot.... remimber lots of undies.

--------------------
ATTACK SLOTH!

It's gonna get you... eventually.

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Mar 15 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #12

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Mar 15 2007, 07:17 AM) *

Oh totally, no day is complete without breakfast, elevenses, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, tea, dinner and supper. Plus snacks.

I've moved a few times, always found it pretty fun. Good luck Ash.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Secretkeeper
post Mar 16 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,255

Pack up the station wagon. Dont forget the cat and her kittens. OK... now eveything you own is in the car and your headed from Michigan to Arizona. Or Conneticut, or Oklahoma etc. been there done that. Some times it is good. Sometimes it is not. I like to have a yard sale before I leave and then hunt down things at yard sales and thrift shops when I get to the new place. Saves packing. But I haven't done that in years. Thank goodness. Good luck. I've never been to BC but I always loved the photos, I can even tell you some of the movies that were made there. Like Krull.

--------------------
Crazy is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting unique results.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Mar 16 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #14

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Mar 15 2007, 05:36 PM) *
QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Mar 15 2007, 07:17 AM) *

Oh totally, no day is complete without breakfast, elevenses, brunch, lunch, afternoon tea, tea, dinner and supper. Plus snacks.

I've moved a few times, always found it pretty fun. Good luck Ash.

Oh, I wasn't going to confuse them with High Tea, but seeing as you are listing things: it is usually had at about 7pm, no hot food but usually with cold meats, pickles, bread, butter, cheese, jams, scones, more than one type of cake, and enough tea for an army. It is mostly on a Saturday or Sunday but can be mid-week.

Sometimes I love being English.

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Mar 18 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #15

Germany > Spain...

Well, there's something that will never make sense. Americans get fat with their 3 meals a day while Brits have 9 and stay normal. WOW.

Thank you McDonalds :wink:

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Mar 24 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #16

Arrived safe in Victoria, B.C. Internet is what use I can beg off friends. Still need to find address before I can get a library card / library computer access. Probably won't be around too much for awhile. smile.gif Thank you for good wishes. It's fun & interesting at the moment. Dante the cat did very well on the 14 hour drive yesterday and is happy to not be in motion. He's having a good snoop at my friend's flat but keeps a close eye on where I am.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post Apr 29 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #17

I'm now into a shared living arrangement. A room in a friend's house. His cat and mine are tolerant of each other. Actually his cat would love to play pounce and run but Dante isn't having any of it. My cat is a bit of a lazy cat, I'm thinking. So, more settled than I was but not yet really in my own space. Still, the company is good and the rent is affordable so why not?
In other news I found a full time job with good coworkers. I'm still learning the new routine and, at times I think, my job but it's going okay. Next week I should finally have the spare cash for that gym membership I've been putting off.
Life is good?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Apr 29 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #18

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Ooo, new job. What are you doing?

I really don't like moving, but that's partly because I'm not fond of change. If I can keep things the way they are then I'm generally happy. It's a bit silly really, because things usually improve with change, but it's still one of those things that I avoid.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
Spacehappy
post Apr 30 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #19

Matazone acolyte

Member No.: 183

Living together with friends can be alot of fun, unless they don't pay there share of the bills tongue.gif

Hope everything is going well for you Ash, Dante is a really good cat name, i might just nick it as my other half want's a pet but i want a dog she want's a ball of hate (cat).

+Quote Post
Izzy
post Apr 30 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #20

Germany > Spain...

Ok, yeah, I'm in school right now, and last night one of my friends and I were talking about British Columbia. He was like 'it's in Canada, isn't it?' And I was like 'It is? I thought it was like a section in Columbia for English people to live'

Where is BC? tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ashbless
post May 4 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #21

The new job is the same as the old job. I work as a pharmacy technician. Basically I'm the pharmacist's lackey. smile.gif

British Columbia is in North America - not South America. laugh.gif It's the westernmost province of Canada. Climate varies depending on where in the province you are. You want rainforest, desert, skiing in the mountains? BC's got the lot. Victoria is on Vancouver Island. Southwest corner of BC and the provincial capital. As I remember it when BC became a province it had to promise Vancouver Island the capital city so that they'd also join the country as part of BC. We have retirees, politicians, and university students. Makes an interesting enough mix.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2017 - 06:16 AM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!