IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Stopped Smoking, Froggie tells all...
froggle-rock
post May 4 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #1

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,174

Pretty much what it says on the lable. I quit because I think I have diabetes type 2. Though I still have to get a test that will involve needles (arrrrrrrrgh). I was reading on the NHS website that sugar damages my veins and stuff. So I figured I'd prefer a vice of chocolate and icecream when I am on, to smoking.

It was quite easy really now I'm here and I've done it. I'd been wanting to give up for a while, and tried, then given in when temptation called. After reading up on diabetes I guess I realised the serious implication of how what I do to my body affects it.

Never before has the decision to give up baccy been so absolute in my mind as it was that day. It still is- I don't have a nagging feeling that I'll prolly start again. I just know I won't. It's not that I felt an overwhelming sense of will or determination to stop. I just did, and now it's anorm for me- not smoking was the norm for me as soon as I realised that I'd rather died from indulding in sweet foods, than smoking. (Not to say I'm eating myself sugar silly, coz that would be silly). So, here I am , about three weeks after I gave up. Not a single fag. I've smoked hookah on two ocassions in the last three weeks to be honest. Before, whe I'd given up the most tempting times were always when I went to a pub, or to a smoking friend's home. -Without a strong desire to have a fag. I've not even contemplated poncing one off of somone. I feel like I passed the tests.

I don't know if my sense of taste has gotten any more acute, but certainly tabacco smoke is far more offensive to my nostils than it was. My skin isn't nearly as spotty and I'm not spending money on tabacco anymore. Don't smell like an ashtray, or so my family tell me. Fella does't recoil when I lean to kiss him. Don't have stains on my fingers (I smoked rolling tabacco). Not sure anymore if my teeth have a natural yellow tinge or not, but at least I won't contibuting to it. No more smoke in eye. I can wash my hair even less often now that it's won't smell like a pub's extractor fan.

Anyone here wanting to give up? Anyone here given up- how's it going? I know LoLo quit a while back, and I really admired you for that- wishing I could too.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Felander
post May 4 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #2

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

Smoking has always fascinated me, in that on the few occasions that I've had a social smoke, I've literally felt nothing. No nicotine rush - nothing. I guess I don't really understand it.

Kudos on kicking the habit though.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post May 5 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #3

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Yay Froggy! biggrin.gif

My boyfriend's mum gave up when she had surgery and wasn't allowed to smoke for a few days or a week - instead of starting up again, she just stopped. I think it's great that people can do that, considering how addictive nicotine is. Congrats. smile.gif

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 5 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ May 4 2007, 11:53 AM) *
I know LoLo quit a while back, and I really admired you for that- wishing I could too.

First off congrats at the stopping smoking. I know that with me I'd tried multiple times and stopped for months, once for nearly a year, and still managed to start back up. What helped me this last time was to get the patch, because that sort of reprogrammed my brain. I still found it difficult because of the other things that I was used to like having something between my fingers, or taking extra breaks, just the daily habits. I found that if I just kept myself busy during the times I would have had extra breaks it made it easier, and that I would flick invisible ashes with a fake ciggy while i was doing stuff where I would normally have one. It seemed silly but it helped with those habits that also come with smoking.

In April it was two years for me since this last attempt at not smoking. I still don't feel though as if I have completely quit because I do breath in deeply when walking by people who smoke and I do still get the urge to have one every now and then. I do find myself every once and awhile wanting to ask one of the people in my cohort at school if I can bum one off of them, but I just make myself not.

As far as getting taste back it takes awhile. I think I can taste more then when I still smoked, but I can't think of when I actually noticed it getting better.

Anywho, good luck with the continued stopping of smoking.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
acid_rain_child
post May 5 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #5

Vive y Deja Vivir

Member No.: 672

Oh, congratulations on quitting! That's amazing, I'm so jealous. Recently, I've realized my love/hate relationship with smoking, and to be honest, I hate it a lot more than I love it ($4.35 a pack AND lung cancer?!). And yet I can't imagine my life without a cigarette between my fingers. I am thoroughly addicted, and what a filthy habit to have! I hope one day to be able to have the willpower of y'all who've quit.

--------------------
"As life gets longer, awful feels softer,
Well it feels pretty soft to me.
And if it takes sh*t to make bliss,
Well I feel pretty blissfully."

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 5 2007, 09:58 PM
Post #6

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

Congrats on giving up.

Unfortunately I fall firmly into the "once a smoker, always a smoker" bracket and have tried to give us several times, not smoked for 1-2 years and then started again...which is where I am now. Trying to give up AGAIN! I annoy myself and I know all the risks. Basically, I'm having a crisis in my life and as far as I'm concerned it's all blah blah blah when people tell me to stop and what it's doing to me. I just don't care at that point. I also don't care when I've been drinking biggrin.gif

Having said all that, keep up the good work. I've SOOO hard and I sympathise and empathise with you. I'll be willing you on while I'm failing miserably and having the 20th of the night rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post May 6 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #7

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

Big hug's and congratz. Never smoked to any great extent so not something I've had to kick. Not a big fan of the habbit but also dont believe in presurising friends to give up, as I feel that they will give up when they're ready and that has a better chance of lasting then someone who feels other's have forced them. So am always very pleased when friends do manage to do it. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 6 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #8

QUOTE (Cath @ May 6 2007, 02:08 PM) *
Big hug's and congratz. Never smoked to any great extent so not something I've had to kick. Not a big fan of the habbit but also dont believe in presurising friends to give up, as I feel that they will give up when they're ready and that has a better chance of lasting then someone who feels other's have forced them. So am always very pleased when friends do manage to do it. biggrin.gif

One of my friends was badgering me the other day. I can understand why. She doens't want me to die a nasty death but what annoyed me the most was she indicated I should pass her the ciggie as she wanted a drag and then said "you do know I'm going to bin this don't you!?" I almost responded "you do know I'm going to break your arm don't you?!?" in a sarcastic tone of voice. I wouldn't force anyone to do something they didn't want to do (well...that depends wink.gif biggrin.gif) I don't like being lectured about anything...unless I'm at uni.....in a lecture.....

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 7 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #9

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

*hugs* Well done smile.gif
After my brother had his second operation on his lung, he decided it might just be a good time to give up smoking. It was super hard, but I think he has stopped for good.

And just think- you won't be one of those people who will suddenly go "oh.." when the smoking ban comes in.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 7 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Daria @ May 7 2007, 12:29 PM) *
*hugs* Well done smile.gif
After my brother had his second operation on his lung, he decided it might just be a good time to give up smoking. It was super hard, but I think he has stopped for good.

And just think- you won't be one of those people who will suddenly go "oh.." when the smoking ban comes in.

I only smoke occasionally and I know about the ban. There really shouldn't be anyone in this country that doesn't know about it. Unless they walk around with their eyes closed and their ears blocked?!? laugh.gif

Besides, it isn't going to stop people smoking outside the bar and we're going to have to walk through all that smoke in one go laugh.gif Unless they are stopping smoking within a certain meterage outside bars? I think they do that with public buildings in California? unsure.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 7 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #11

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

I know most people will know about it, but for a lot of people it will still come as a shock that... wait... you mean that no smoking sign means I can't continue to smoke this lit cigarette I have in my hand? Oh. Well, just let me finish it and I will be on my way...

I think smoking in doorways is going to be banned, but I guess you will still get those who smoke JUST next to them.

The indignant look on the faces of those who are told to extinguish their cigarette is excellent everytime. I went to one of the Children's Cancer Trust gigs at the Albert Hall, and there was this guy in his mid forties having a fag in the bar area. He was standing next to a no-smoking sign. So I walked up to him, pointed out the sign and said ever so politely- "Excuse me sir, but I think you will have to put out that cigarette. Did you not notice that this is a no smoking area?"
He then looked me up and down, asked me if I worked there (no) and that well obviously he didn't notice the sign.
So I asked him to put it out. He did, but begrudgingly. I think it was more of a blow to his ego that an 18 y/o girl got him to put out his cigarette, with everyone watching, than to his nicotine addiction.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post May 7 2007, 12:58 PM
Post #12

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

Congratulations Froggie!

With regard to the ban, you're not allowed to smoke near doors or windows where there is the possibility of the smoke going into a building.
I kinda agree with Becky, some smokers seem to be pretty retarded when it comes to seeing no smoking signs. When I worked in the hospital in Norwich the whole site is no smoking and people would just sit in the bus shelters smoking, even though there were signs on EVERY pane of glass saying "NO SMOKING. This is a bus shelter, not a smoking area." but even the security guards turned a blind eye - seriously, what is the point if it's not enforced??

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 7 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (snoo @ May 7 2007, 01:58 PM) *
smokers seem to be pretty retarded when it comes to seeing no smoking signs.

I beg to differ strongly. I am a smoker and I NEVER smoke where there is a no smoking sign. You might want to rephrase that comment slightly. Not all smokers are stupid or ignorant. We are addicts. There is a difference smile.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 7 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #14

Kiefer > Jason

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ May 7 2007, 05:04 AM) *
Besides, it isn't going to stop people smoking outside the bar and we're going to have to walk through all that smoke in one go laugh.gif Unless they are stopping smoking within a certain meterage outside bars? I think they do that with public buildings in California? unsure.gif

In California you can't smoke within 30 feet of doorways or major walkways. You also can't smoke in bars or restaurants and haven't been able to for years. I must say food tastes much better in a restaurant that doesn't allow smoking, I even thought so when I did smoke. As for bars they started doing things to accommodate smokers like having specific smoking patios that have roofs over them and heaters for nights when it's cold. I'm sure once the ban out there hits places will start doing stuff like that to keep their smoking patrons continuing to come to them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moosh
post May 7 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #15

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

QUOTE (LoLo @ May 7 2007, 08:49 PM) *
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ May 7 2007, 05:04 AM) *

In California you can't smoke within 30 feet of doorways or major walkways. You also can't smoke in bars or restaurants and haven't been able to for years. I must say food tastes much better in a restaurant that doesn't allow smoking, I even thought so when I did smoke. As for bars they started doing things to accommodate smokers like having specific smoking patios that have roofs over them and heaters for nights when it's cold. I'm sure once the ban out there hits places will start doing stuff like that to keep their smoking patrons continuing to come to them.

I was reading my dad's Employer's Guidelines pack thing the other day (yes, I was that bored), and there's some odd rules about smoking shelters. Apparently, if it has a roof, no more than 50% of the space can be walled off. This means that if there is an existing shelter, with a roof and 3 walls, it'll be illegal and must be partially demolished. What fun.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post May 7 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #16

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ May 7 2007, 07:10 PM) *
QUOTE (snoo @ May 7 2007, 01:58 PM) *

smokers seem to be pretty retarded when it comes to seeing no smoking signs.

I beg to differ strongly. I am a smoker and I NEVER smoke where there is a no smoking sign. You might want to rephrase that comment slightly. Not all smokers are stupid or ignorant. We are addicts. There is a difference smile.gif

Sorry, I meant to put a "some" in there (I've done it now). Often it's just the stupid or ignorant ones that you're aware of.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post May 7 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #17

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

Yay Frog! I am proud of you smile.gif

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 8 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #18

QUOTE (snoo @ May 7 2007, 09:10 PM) *
Sorry, I meant to put a "some" in there (I've done it now). Often it's just the stupid or ignorant ones that you're aware of.

Oh I agree. There are some really ignorant smokers out there. I'd just like to think I'm not one of them *puffs on nictotine inhaler in attempt to give up* wink.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 8 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #19

Kiefer > Jason

QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ May 8 2007, 04:42 AM) *
QUOTE (snoo @ May 7 2007, 09:10 PM) *

Oh I agree. There are some really ignorant smokers out there. I'd just like to think I'm not one of them *puffs on nictotine inhaler in attempt to give up* wink.gif

I used to try and be a polite smoker too, blowing my smoke away from people who were nearby, standing far away if I could, asking if they minded before I would light up, not smoking in my car unless it was ok with the people who were in there, etc. Thing is no matter how much you try to be nice and not impose the smoke on other people it still creeps in there, and people will go out of their way to get in your smoke so that they then can complain that you're smoking. I had that happen so many times that I almost stopped caring about being nice about it.

Anyway, good luck Pixie! I never tried the inhaler but I hear good things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 8 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (LoLo @ May 8 2007, 02:16 PM) *
I used to try and be a polite smoker too, blowing my smoke away from people who were nearby, standing far away if I could, asking if they minded before I would light up, not smoking in my car unless it was ok with the people who were in there, etc. Thing is no matter how much you try to be nice and not impose the smoke on other people it still creeps in there, and people will go out of their way to get in your smoke so that they then can complain that you're smoking. I had that happen so many times that I almost stopped caring about being nice about it.

Anyway, good luck Pixie! I never tried the inhaler but I hear good things.

Thanks Lo. It's worked for me twice before. I'm one of those "once a smoker, always a smoker" people and unfortunately when going through times of relationship (like now) I tend to start again as it's a good way to dealing and I often think straight when I'm puffing away. I'll keep at it but I had a cig last night and I'm not going to hold it against myself if I can't give up.

Anyway, this is Frog's thread about HER giving up...I appear to have hijacked it for my own needs tongue.gif

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post May 23 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #21

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

Thank you all for you words of support. To date I've still not smoked, though have been tempted on a couple of occasions to ponce one- resisted though.

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Aracnos
post May 24 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #22

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Member No.: 3,557

Congratulations on beating the habit, it takes real force of mind to resist nicotine urges. I can't say I've ever smoked, but a couple of friends have suffered as a result of smoking.

--------------------
All power corrupts, absolute power is more fun

+Quote Post
Industrial Kybos...
post May 29 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #23

Light On The Surface

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 91

I'm almost a year quit myself. Keep it up, frogster.

No patches, no gum, no inhaler... cold turkey, baby! It's the only way.

--------------------
the
end
is
nice

+Quote Post
Calantyr
post May 30 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #24

Perfection Personified

Member No.: 1,548

Congratulation! I hear it really gets its nails into you, nice one kicking its arse.

--------------------
"Too often Fate,
By all abhorred,
To savage poison,
Adds the sword"
- Boethius, The Concillations of Philosophy

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post Jun 1 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ May 23 2007, 02:39 PM) *
Thank you all for you words of support. To date I've still not smoked, though have been tempted on a couple of occasions to ponce one- resisted though.

Congrats! Ironically enough I've started smoking again laugh.gif I'm giving up on 1st July though. I promise I won't blow smoke in your face on 23rd as it'll still be legal to smoke in pubs.

--------------------
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 06:11 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!