Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frights
MisterJ
post May 6 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #1

Worrying

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 3,093

Hi all, I just thought I might start a forum on frights, as in any recent (or not so recent) frights you have gotten.
This idea sprung to mind as just yesterday I got quite a large fright.

I have an old computer that is pretty much screwed up, it keeps restarting and won't work properly. But I noticed that whenever it restarted, I heard a small click sound. So I just wanted to see for sure if by taking the case off, I might be able to see a bad wire or fuse or some other clue. But before I took the case off I read a sticker on the back that said something like 'before removing case, switch off the power at the wall and on the power supply,' and I didn't know of any switch on th power supply, so I had a look, and there was a small semi hidden one, so I switched it, and although I can't remember what it said in the beginning, but after I switched it, it said 115, and I was a little confused. So I went to make sure that it worked and that the power supply was turned off, and as soon as I plugged the cord into the back of the computer, there was a huge bang! I saw a big flash from it then a little smoke. No one else noticed, but it frightened the **** out of me!!!

If you have anything you might like to add to this, such as why it happened, or you want to share your own expeiriences, go ahead. I like stories happy.gif .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post May 6 2007, 03:52 AM
Post #2

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

When I was 15/16, a friend of mine gave me a couple of old battery packs that he wasn't using, one day before school. Whilst both of these packs were lacking in a connector, one had exposed frayed wire ends, although, at the time, I thought nothing of this, and just placed the batteries in my right pocket (where, it should be noted, I keep a metal keychain), and there they stayed for around five to ten minutes, until the first period of the day, when just before sitting down, I felt a warm sensation in my pocket. Slapping my hand against said pocket in the manner of one trying to ascertain whether something is there, I ended up pressing the battery pack against my leg. Normally this wouldn't have bothered me, but with the thing having been discharging rapidly, it was really quite hot. Scared the hell out of me. Also, my friend didn't seem too impressed when I pulled out a bunch of sparking taped together cylinders out of my pocket. I still twinge if I feel something warm in my right pocket.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 6 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #3

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

When the floor boards in my spare room creak like someone is walking across them or standing on them. There isn't anyone there. I live alone....I think ohmy.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
Daria
post May 7 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

On my way to work this morning, I put my life in danger whilst teaching a motorist the rules of a Pellican Crossing.

The resulting conversation went as follows-
Him in his soft-top and silly sunglasses (It was cloudy): "What the **** do you think you're doing?!"
Me- "It's a Pellican Crossing! I am crossing".

He then sped off.

Becky 1- Motorist who almost killed her NIL.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Izzy
post May 7 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #5

Germany > Spain...

Member No.: 2,184

SPIDERS. SOMEONE KILL ALL THE F**KING SPIDERS!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
CrazyFooIAintGet...
post May 7 2007, 01:13 PM
Post #6

Has been kidnapped by gerbils and forced to post on here repeatedly

Member No.: 606

heh.. all creepy-crawley things scare the hell out of me. Especially if they can fly.

I destroyed my laptop by spilling a drink on it, that was quite scary.. (nothing exploded though)

the laptop was a birthday present from my dad, who I haven't told about it yet. Then, a few days ago, I broke HIS laptop by tripping over the power cable - oops. ph34r.gif

--------------------
Kung fu fighting from 25th April 2010

+Quote Post
snooodlysnoosnoo...
post May 7 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #7

dream to make believe

Member No.: 863

QUOTE (crazymat @ May 7 2007, 02:13 PM) *
heh.. all creepy-crawley things scare the hell out of me. Especially if they can fly.

I destroyed my laptop by spilling a drink on it, that was quite scary.. (nothing exploded though)

the laptop was a birthday present from my dad, who I haven't told about it yet. Then, a few days ago, I broke HIS laptop by tripping over the power cable - oops. ph34r.gif

heh, I don't think you should be allowed near laptops any more tongue.gif

Spiders are okay, it's just when they appear seemingly from nowhere or creep up on you that I have a problem with them.

--------------------
Last.fm
snoo is about as evil as a muffin

+Quote Post
Moosh
post May 7 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #8

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Spiders/insects that are bigger than they should be are scary. And by that I mean big enough to be measured in feet. Normal ones I'm fine with.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 9 2007, 11:25 AM
Post #9

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

I had a fun one when reversing into a parking space. There was a sequence of events where exactly as I stopped the clutch began behaving crazily and the person in the next space started pulling off at just the right speed to make me feel like I was still going backwards.

I spent the next few seconds thinking I'd just somehow reversed up a kerb and through a bollard without nothing any impact. unsure.gif

QUOTE (JeddyB @ May 6 2007, 02:24 AM) *
I have an old computer that is pretty much screwed up, it keeps restarting and won't work properly. But I noticed that whenever it restarted, I heard a small click sound. So I just wanted to see for sure if by taking the case off, I might be able to see a bad wire or fuse or some other clue. But before I took the case off I read a sticker on the back that said something like 'before removing case, switch off the power at the wall and on the power supply,' and I didn't know of any switch on th power supply, so I had a look, and there was a small semi hidden one, so I switched it, and although I can't remember what it said in the beginning, but after I switched it, it said 115, and I was a little confused. So I went to make sure that it worked and that the power supply was turned off, and as soon as I plugged the cord into the back of the computer, there was a huge bang! I saw a big flash from it then a little smoke. No one else noticed, but it frightened the **** out of me!!!

If you have anything you might like to add to this, such as why it happened, or you want to share your own expeiriences, go ahead. I like stories happy.gif .

Erm...you switched it from expecting a 240 volt supply to expecting a 115 volt supply. They do that so you can use the computer in different countries just by changing the power cable. Of course it also tends to go badly wrong when you put it on the wrong setting. tongue.gif

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Greeneyes
post May 9 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #10

The Key of Joy is disobedience.

Member No.: 1,102

First day of freshers week at college, and just as I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock, the fire alarm goes off. I tell you, that is the most panic inducing sound I have ever heard.

--------------------
Waiting for a superhero intervention

+Quote Post
trunks_girl26
post May 9 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #11

o_O

Member No.: 1,229

QUOTE (Greeneyes @ May 9 2007, 01:47 PM) *
First day of freshers week at college, and just as I hit the snooze button on my alarm clock, the fire alarm goes off. I tell you, that is the most panic inducing sound I have ever heard.

Just wait until the 4am ones start.....or the ones that go off juuuuuuuuuuuuuuust as you get into bed....or the ones that go off when you're in the shower dry.gif

--------------------
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return -Moulin Rouge
"Religion is a finger pointing ot the moon, but some people confuse the finger with the moon."
Truth is subjectivity - Kierkegaard
"I don't know anything; I never knew anything, but now I know I don't know"
"The important thing isn't to know Jesus, Mohamed or Buddah, but to know what they know"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2017 - 03:33 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!