IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 
> Blair, Hah! I got it first.
PsychWardMike
post May 11 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #1

I'm attracted by the potential for reckless abuse of power.

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,105

So the Bush's li'l lackey is gone in June. Your thoughts?

--------------------
I'm just a Viewtiful Girl living in a Viewtiful World.
Henshin a-go-go, baby.

I swear to God, the above post was not intended to incite flame wars or to offend you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Moosh
post May 14 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #2

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Taking Mata's point about the probability of a long-term Conservative government next, I think it could be averted if Gordon Brown (or whoever gets the leadership if it's not him) immediately act to reverse some of Blair's more unpopular decisions, most importantly, pulling out of Iraq. Whether or not this will actually happen depends on Brown's willingness to defy the US, which may be optimistic.

Dave: the next Prime Minister will not be chosen by election, but by a vote of the members of the Labour Party, and it will almost certainly be Gordon Brown, the current Chancellor. This is because Blair is resigning half-way through his term. As the Prime Minister can call a general election whenever he wants to, within his 5 years of office, there will be calls from the opposition parties for this to happen, but this rarely happens.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Felander
post May 16 2007, 11:05 AM
Post #3

Obsessive

Member No.: 2,292

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ May 14 2007, 04:12 PM) *
Taking Mata's point about the probability of a long-term Conservative government next, I think it could be averted if Gordon Brown (or whoever gets the leadership if it's not him) immediately act to reverse some of Blair's more unpopular decisions, most importantly, pulling out of Iraq. Whether or not this will actually happen depends on Brown's willingness to defy the US, which may be optimistic.

Brown will never do that, and rightly so. This government made its bed, now it has to lie in it. Withdrawing British troops would undoubtedly destabilise the country and cause many hundreds, if not thousands, of Coalition casualties. We now have a responsibility to Iraq - we're there for the long-term methinks.

And if Brown were to reverse some of Blair's more unpopular decisions, what would that say about him? He'd be pandering to Labour's critics, appearing weak and stabbing the former PM in the back. The Tories would latch onto that and undermine Brown's leadership in its infancy.

It's a funny ol' game, this politics lark.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 04:44 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!