IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Motivations to Study/Write, What are yours?
Pixelgoth
post May 17 2007, 05:24 PM
Post #1

Flaps and spins on the spot

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 390

Hi guys. I'm currently trying to start a dissertation proposal of 2500-3000 words and I just can't seem to inspire myself to write anything.

I'm totally passionate about the project and have an aim, research question and objectives. Even a title! I just can't seem to motivate myself to put "virtual" pen to paper sad.gif

Any motivation suggestions? How do you motivate yourselves? Do you even bother? Does anyone enjoy writing things like this?

unsure.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wiseacre
post May 17 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #2

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,650

I motivate by a reward system. Set a goal for yourself - if you complete a number of words give yourself something that you enjoy, greatly. I always have a system of these, things that I usually don't allow myself in return for getting work done. If you're honest with yourself it can really work. The classic example is the diet (I'm against diets, this is an example) where for each 10 pounds you lose you get yourself a new pair of clothing/shoes or a night out or a piece of chocolate cake (with the last being the highest scaled reward because it would detract from the work you've done). Anyway...

Unfortuantely for me when the creative process is involved I can't motivate myself because the flow either flows or it doesn't. So on projects where there is any degree of creativity involved I can't really work on a schedule. Though I do know things that help keep the flow flowing, eating well, exercising, sleeping at the same time for 8 hours a night, massage, yoga... I still can't control it.

+Quote Post
vicrawr
post May 17 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 374

Dictate what you want to write into a recorder of some sort and then write it all down at a later date.

+Quote Post
Witless
post May 17 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #4

happy.. sad.. happy

Member No.: 1,536

First I sent the page colour to black and font colour to white. Then change the setup of my word processing software so that the font, formatting, options and everything is all gone. All I am left with is a black screen I can type into.

Then without thought for structure, grammer or spelling or referencing of quotes, I spiel out my my thoughts freely quoting whoever the hell I like without properly referencing or anything (I keep the referencing information on a spare written piece of paper to put in later).

I find that when you make the environment you write in more comfortable to you (I like an unstructured environment to get my ideas out) then things flow more easily. I also tend to write better in messy rooms, or out at coffee shops on scrappy pieces of paper. If my way works for you then hooray we're apparently kindred spirits. Otherwise just put yourself into a good environment. If you like walking go for a walk with a dictophone or something, if you like ice cream (haha, as if you wouldn't) have a tub by your lap top. If you're a piece and tranquility sort, then write in the isolation ward of an asylum! Anyways, yeah.. I'm sure you follow what I mean.

--------------------
"I'm an introvert, I think you're wonderful and I like you, but please now shush"
"Science is just organised common sense"
"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one."
"You are unique, just like everybody else."

+Quote Post
mooooooooooopo
post May 18 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #5

: P>

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 991

QUOTE (Witless @ May 17 2007, 09:42 PM) *
First I sent the page colour to black and font colour to white. Then change the setup of my word processing software so that the font, formatting, options and everything is all gone. All I am left with is a black screen I can type into.

YES! Staring at a white screen all day is like staring directly at the sun (well, not quite) - painful and really bad for your eyes.

As for physical surroundings I find that having a laptop and as little as possible nearby works well. Everythings a potential distraction. I guess that one's a matter of opinion. I managed to blurt out 2500 words of coursework and 4000 words of final year project in a night once, though I ended up rewriting most of it having something there to reword instead of writing from scratch helped a lot with motivating me to finish it.

Sometimes setting easy goals with rewards works well, like wiseacre said, "I'll write 200 words then allow myself 15 minutes of <something entertaining>". It breaks up the monotony of work, gives you time to think without the pressure to write stuff down and hopefully keeps you in a mood where work will get done for longer.

Usually I find that flitting back and forth between different sections of what you're writing helps to break it up too and prevent boredom. The problem is getting motivation to go back, edit them and connect them all up into something coherent.

--------------------
I am Candice's asw emo e-husband, real life actual husband and all around awesome person, Funked)Out_Frogg's e-paramour. Snugglebum's harem slave. Candice and gothictheysay are my e-pimps.

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 18 2007, 12:42 PM
Post #6

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The most effective thing I could do was make sure that my email software wasn't turned on. That was always the biggest distraction. I also always had an album that I would write to - 'Dead Cities' by Future Sound Of London. For some reason that album has always made me feel productive and contemplative. I must have listened to it hundreds of times while writing my thesis!

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
LoLo
post May 18 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #7

Kiefer > Jason

Group: Admin
Member No.: 51

My motivation used to be, "Crap it's due tomorrow and I've put it off this long I have to make myself do it," and it worked pretty well. Unfortunately now that doesn't work. It seems like every moment of free time is spent doing my homework, so now it's become more of a habit to get things done then to actually set goals and reward systems.

That being said, sit down and write for 10 minutes every day (If you've got a leisurely deadline) and if you feel like you can do more just keep going, but if you don't the 10 minutes a day thing makes it seem like it takes little effort to complete and amazingly one day you'll realize it's done, wow.

--------------------

Being Pimped By Aries Since 2003

+Quote Post
Pixelgoth
post May 18 2007, 04:15 PM
Post #8

Flaps and spins on the spot

Member No.: 390

QUOTE (moop @ May 18 2007, 11:54 AM) *
having something there to reword instead of writing from scratch helped a lot with motivating me to finish it.

I have to agree with this one. My usual style is to write randomly and then rearrange. It doesn't seem so daunting when you've got even cr@p written down that you have to rewrite.

QUOTE (mata @ May 18 2007, 1:42 PM) *
I also always had an album that I would write to - 'Dead Cities' by Future Sound Of London. For some reason that album has always made me feel productive and contemplative. I must have listened to it hundreds of times while writing my thesis!

Can you send me a copy?!? wink.gif biggrin.gif

I guess I'll just have to try and motivate myself somehow. I'm sure I'll be fine. I just need to keep in mind that what I'm writing about I'm passionate about and that should help....I hope laugh.gif

--------------------
Hope confidentally, do valiantly, wait patiently!
Rather light a candle than complain about the dark!
Enjoy what you have and hope for what you lack
Thoughts become things, choose the good ones[/center]
[center]Carpe diem

+Quote Post
pgrmdave
post May 18 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #9

^random image of the day

Member No.: 1,604

I always found it easier with papers to get started in the middle. My biggest problem was that I didn't know how to start it, so I'd start with the informative sections, which were often easier to write. Once I started writing them, I often found myself coming up with good beginnings, so I'd go back and write the beginning then.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2017 - 03:22 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!