Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why I Hate France Today, Can i go home now
PrincessCadhla
post May 23 2003, 10:54 AM
Post #1

You know you want me...

Group: New Members
Member No.: 268

I would like to use this thread whenever being in France pisses me off...based on yesterday, that could be quite often.

A bit about the house. It's a nice house...tile everywhere. That helps because it gets so haot in the summer. No a/c here. You have to have the windows open to have any ventilation. I have to sweep the entire house twice a day and my feet are still gross and dirty. It's wuite windy right now and it blows all kinds of crap in. I just swept an hour ago and the floors are disgusting again.

In the US, you pay extra for crap with "made in France " on it. If you have stuff imported from france you are hot shit. So, why is everything in every shop here complete crap?? The other Americans that live here that I know(they live here full time) go to the US once a year and bring loads of stuff back. Everything here costs twice as much and is half as good. I miss Target. I miss the Mall, I miss Linens and Things etc.... Most of the new furniture (not antiques) is really ugly, really exspensive and takes 4-6 weeks to get. All the soaps and lotions and baby soaps are heavily perfumed.....

little bitty refrigerators...the norm here and in England. In the US, we use these tiny things in dormrooms. No big deal because alot of food can be left out of it, plenty of room and what not. Problem is, The handle is at Sophie's level and she is in it all day. I had to clean up an entire tub of Creme Fraiche (sour cream for Americans) from all over the house becuase i left the room for 5 minuntes to hang the laundry out to dry.

on to Laundry. Doing laundry in Europe vs. the US. US wash cycle 30 minutes, drying 45, machin holds about 4 times what the machines in Europe do. Eu wash cycle 1 hour 30 minutes, drying2-3 hours....

No restraunts have high chairs, and the one that did was assembled incorrectly and kept trying to collapse. Alot of family pub/restraunts in England are starting to have high chairs now....Sophie can sit at a table, but if not trapped in a high chair will get up and run around like mad. In, fact , she did last night. The brought out her food first, which was great, but it took forever for ours, and by the time they brought ours, she was done and bored....finally, fed up I got up to take her to the car, leaving my hubby to pay. On the way, I stumbled and fell (while holiding a 2 yr old). Not a single one of the 10 ppl within 10-15 ft of me budged, came over to help or even ask if I was alright. And the french wonder how they got a rep for being rude?? My knee now looks like ground beef. Yay!

So, what's good about France you say?? The weather, it's gorgeous, we haven't had a single bad day so far. The country side is equally beautiful. The wine, cause we are a bunch of drunks. The food...no one doesn't like French food.

Let's face it, i am a big ol city girl...and not meant for slow paced provencal living. I feel like Eva Gabour in Green Acres*.

o/` Green Acres is the place to be, farm living is the life for me.....NOT!!!!!!

Hopefully things will get better once family and friends start visiting and I have osmeone to talk to and help out with the kids.

Anyone wanna visit??

--------------------
*.*.*Cadhla*.*.*
~If all poets were as I, I would have nothing to say~

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mata
post May 23 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #2

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

You really are a US lady aren't you? smile.gif

The service industry in Europe really isn't anything like it is in the US. Over here being a waiter/ress is something you do while looking for another job, in the US it is a legitimate career.

Tourism tends to be targetted towards slower pursuits, like exploring old places and taking in the scenery, rather than seeing the world's largest mall/theme-park ride/x.

Europe's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't necessarily want to live here, but then again likewise the US. I find the US too brash sometimes, when I was in restaurants in San Francisco the staff always seemed shocked that we thanked them for everything or that we were happy to go and get something for ourselves, some of the staff were even suspicious of this which saddened me.

Sorry to hear about your knee!

I hope things get better for you! I've spent a couple of weeks in France now and then and generally found the people to be very nice and understanding of my attempts to speak French smile.gif Paris was a little less friendly but large cities normally are...

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
PrincessCadhla
post May 23 2003, 01:28 PM
Post #3

You know you want me...

I know all about the differences in Europe and the UK compared to the US. I'm married to an Englishman and spend sttleast a moth a year in England.

The US seems brash to you because you didn't grow up there... While back in the US, my hubby complains of the waitstaff being too attentive...and longs for slow european service....once back in Europe or the UK, he complains about how slow it is...I can go on about that kinda thing for ever.....Damned if you do, Damned if you don't I guess.

Btw, it's not like I spend all my time in malls and such...I just like going to a shop looking for something and being able to find it...not spending 5 hrs going to aa thousand different shops and not finding anything worth buying!!

My previous french experiences have been quite good, but then again, I wasn't trying to furnidh and decorate, and repair a 400 year old house!!!! Living here is definately different then visiting!

And, things will get better once we get all the house mess settled and can start living instead of working all the time.

--------------------
*.*.*Cadhla*.*.*

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 23 2003, 01:36 PM
Post #4

Many fools can now anticipate pity!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 40

I understand... I went up north once... ran into the same experience smile.gif

--------------------
Proud Cronie since Feb 26, 2003
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post May 23 2003, 01:47 PM
Post #5

NyanNyanNyan

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 191

up north?

-raises an eyebrow-

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 23 2003, 02:00 PM
Post #6

hahaha, I'm from North Carolina..southren US... where generally everyone is plesent, nice and helpful (to your face at least). Up North... Northren US... most people are meanies.. but let me explaine before I get cussed out... on the surface it seems that way, the are actually great people... it is just one of those regional US things..but don't get me wrong.. folks from up north are really cool, they just won't hold the door for ya biggrin.gif

--------------------
"When women act like women, they are accused of being inferior. When women act like human beings, they are accused of behaving like men." —Simone de Beauvoir
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. -Anais Nin
No matter that patriotism is too often the refuge of scoundrels. Dissent, rebellion, and all-around hell-raising remain the true duty of patriots. -Barbara Ehrenreich

live journal

+Quote Post
Tarantio
post May 23 2003, 02:03 PM
Post #7

NyanNyanNyan

Member No.: 191

nah its ok....
i thought maybe u were referring to scotland.....
-lowers eyebrow-

we get that a lot from those damn english people
-glares at mata then sticks his tongue out- tongue.gif

--------------------
When, will I, will I be famous?

I CAN'T ANSWER THAT, I CAN'T ANSWER THAT.

-Tara and DACE sing is available from DACETRON ltd.

+Quote Post
MAtt
post May 23 2003, 02:19 PM
Post #8

I am perpetually confused.

Member No.: 32

QUOTE (ravein @ May 23 2003, 07:00 AM)
hahaha, I'm from North Carolina..southren US... where generally everyone is plesent, nice and helpful (to your face at least). Up North... Northren US... most people are meanies.. but let me explaine before I get cussed out... on the surface it seems that way, the are actually great people... it is just one of those regional US things..but don't get me wrong.. folks from up north are really cool, they just won't hold the door for ya biggrin.gif

Poeple from Oklahoma are supposed to be really nice. My dad went there a few times and they were the most civil and genuinly nice people he'd met. Meanwhile..... I open doors for random people. It should be law, at least unwritten, that we should be curtious to each other.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
ravein
post May 23 2003, 02:40 PM
Post #9

amen... and all people should be required to at least wave when you do something nice in traffic....

--------------------

live journal

+Quote Post
SuperKathoid
post May 23 2003, 02:58 PM
Post #10

the spam bunny

Member No.: 11

I know what you mean "up north". I live in New Jersey right outside of New York City. Don't get me wrong, I love this place, but I know what you mean about the people here. I've gone on quite a few trips south, to Florida, Myrtle Beach, and Savannah. Once you drive a few hours south EVERYONE IS SO NICE. When I've gone to anywhere to eat, or into any shops, or anything while south of here I am amazing at how nice people can be. Everyone is so nice to be around. When I was in Myrtle Beach I went into a bunch of shops and all the shop owners would talk to me, not just about what I was looking at, but about anything and everything. I was in one shop for hours and we were just talking to the guy and how nice was. I cant believe how nice everyone is, hahaha.... But I can understand why everyone around here is so sometimes un-nice. NYC is fulled with lots of not so nice stuff, and so is the surrounding area. This whole area is tough. Too tough for me. I definetly want to move south at some point... I absolutly loved Savannah the times I've been there...

well yeah ok... thats that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
craziness
post May 23 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #11

crazi

Member No.: 20

how are we meanies?
i may not hold the door open for people but i have seen and performed random acts of kindness. for example- i was in the drugstore with my frienda few days ago, we were short about 6 cents and the guy standing next to us gave us 6 cents just because. of course then my friend had to go on about how he only did it because he thought we were hot, but really, he had a 3 year old son with him! us northerners arent so bad!

--------------------
Love is real.

+Quote Post
SuperKathoid
post May 23 2003, 10:39 PM
Post #12

the spam bunny

Member No.: 11

hahaha

+Quote Post
gerbilfromhell
post May 23 2003, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Remorseless posting machine

Member No.: 15

lol not EVERYONE from nyc (crazi, she's said nyc not whestchester, there's a big difference) is mean or angry or loud or annoying or............ nvm biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
PrincessCadhla
post May 26 2003, 06:55 PM
Post #14

You know you want me...

Things were going slightly better over the last day or so...the everything is shut for 3 hrs at lunch time thing has gotten old fast.

Bad news today, They have scheduled an air traffic strike for the day my Mum gets in . Yay fun....so hopefully since she's flying through London on Brittish Airwasy it won't be so bad....fo the ppl flying to Nice tomorrow (when they will also be striking) they ar ebeing flown to Genoa, Italy and bussed to NIce....

I drove a long way by myself today...I am very proud of myself.

--------------------
*.*.*Cadhla*.*.*

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post May 26 2003, 07:42 PM
Post #15

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Strikes? In France? Surely not? I didn't think they went in for industrial action there...

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post May 26 2003, 07:54 PM
Post #16

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

They don't. It's probably italians pretending to be french.

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post May 26 2003, 11:55 PM
Post #17

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

I've never been to france but I have noticed some interesting things when it comes to europeans...I'll prolly offend someone...

Anyway, I've heard when Canadians come into France or places like that they get all smiles his, how are yous, whats it like there now and so fourth...

When an american comes into that place (not all americans but some who got a bad rep) the people dont really talk to them much and try to avoid them and ignore them and be snooty.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MistressAlti
post May 27 2003, 01:13 AM
Post #18

ever-hopeful since 2003

Member No.: 54

/me shrugs

Generalizations are only half-true, you know?

+Quote Post
TigerLily013
post May 27 2003, 01:29 AM
Post #19

~~Sanity Impaired since 1986~~

Member No.: 82

makes sense

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eye_of_The_Storm
post May 27 2003, 03:06 AM
Post #20

That's 'Sir Guppy' to you

Member No.: 307

Yeah i live in wisconsin "cheese capital of the world some say" and your right most ppl around here arnt very freindly. In the south you got that whole southern hospitality thing going on, and way up north like canada everyones drunk and offering you a beer. I guess if your stuck in the middle its just kinda hard to choose, so ppl around here just piss each other off. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
PrincessCadhla
post May 27 2003, 10:10 AM
Post #21

You know you want me...

Mr.Fuzzy, there's been like 9 strikes since we got here just over 2 weeks ago....Teachersm air traffic....cabs in Paris....let's hope we can go the summer with out the famous petrol strike!!!

The French are the strikingest ppl ever.....

--------------------
*.*.*Cadhla*.*.*

+Quote Post
hinsley
post May 27 2003, 10:16 AM
Post #22

Talking Cat? Eh, its been dun.

Member No.: 288

hey!! oh strikes are bad... like when the fire brigade had strikes... was funny tho cause i live right near a (doh cant think of the word, you know wat i mean, them places where they keep the fire engines) and anyway we used to go and stand with them when they had theyre lil fires and stuff. it was so cool.

--------------------
Drunken words are sober thoughts.

"But it's turtles all the way down!"

+Quote Post
hinsley
post May 27 2003, 04:00 PM
Post #23

Talking Cat? Eh, its been dun.

Member No.: 288

bump

--------------------
Drunken words are sober thoughts.

"But it's turtles all the way down!"

+Quote Post
Mr Fuzzy
post May 27 2003, 04:11 PM
Post #24

This space intentionally left blank

Member No.: 203

Oops. I was using a spot of sarcasm...

Living in the south of England I'm acutely aware of the dockers/truckers strikes in France which regularly shut down a large portion of our international trade because some manky old French truck driver ran out of Gauloise earlier and now feels a bit tetchy.

--------------------
We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia. We were never at war with Eurasia. Eurasia is our ally.

+Quote Post
PrincessCadhla
post May 27 2003, 04:19 PM
Post #25

You know you want me...

Mr.Fuzzy, I know it was sarcasm....

it just amazes me, there's a union for just about everything and some one is always striking....

Today's reason to hate France :

No body ever adheres to their posted hours!

It was posted the shop would open at 3.....at 3:15 there were about 20 ppl lined up outside. At 3:40, they finally arrived to open the shop.

Had the same thing happen many times at LaPoste, but i hear that's cause the Postman is a drunk.

--------------------
*.*.*Cadhla*.*.*

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2017 - 11:33 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!