> Muslim Barbie Doll?
Wiseacre
post Oct 13 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Super advanced member

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,650

Here she is: http://www.gloob.tv/news/muslim_barbie_hit...ia?article=1976
Yeah, you can make any kind of Barbie though, muslim baby bratz, now there’s a challenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Oct 14 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #2

If my woman were a fire...

Member No.: 1,473

Actually, I think that's a pretty cool idea.

I remember being a little kid and wanting to dress just like Barbie did (although I'm pretty sure her outfits were quite a bit more modest in the 90's than they are now) so it's a great idea for mothers who want their children to adopt traditional garb, or to respect modesty...or something along those lines.

(I really hope that made sense...I'm a bit out of it today)

--------------------
Her dignity shone so bright like a light on a hill
and she burned for me, no other man came near her flame.
Bad country songs - the deafening twang of the rich white kid blues.
You can own the strange, but the lights and glares will not make you real.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 15 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #3

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

I don't think Barbie's clothing has been modest for several decades!

I agree that it's a good idea to have representations of women that are more connected to their society's values, but I'm also slightly saddened that the current best suggestion of how to give young women suitable toys is by dressing up Barbie. Surely there's got to be something better? The waist is tiny, the skin colour is caucasian, and the legs are utterly ridiculous.

When I was a kid, if I wanted to look strong I'd suck in my stomach as far as it would go. A few years ago it occurred to me that the reason I did this was probably because of the He-Man toys that had the torsos shaped like a triangle with the stupid waists. If that figure impacted on my idea of masculinity, I'm pretty sure that Barbie dolls can have a similar effect on girls.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Oct 15 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #4

I once knew a girl who ended up having to go to the foot doctor (cannot think of the right name for them for some reason right now) because she insisted on walking around on her tip-toes like Barbie.

As for body figure, it's not just Barbie setting those standards for little girls, it's everywhere. Pretty is tall, extremely skinny, big boobs, blue-eyed and blonde. (Sudden memory: when I was little, I wanted nothing more than to have long blonde hair and blue eyes. It makes a bit of sense now) Before you expect that to change, and for girls to even want to play with more realistic (and, in my opinion, prettier) dolls, they'll have to accept that image as normal/pretty. It's sad that something so unrealistic is what many girls uphold as "normal", but true.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Oct 16 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #5

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

This sort of thing has been around for a while, I remember when she was little, my sister had an Asian (slightly brown skinned) Barbie in full Hindi get-up.

Yeah, that's pretty much all I have to add, except to agree with Mata and Voices about the perpetuation of negative body stereotypes in society etc etc.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Oct 16 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #6

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

Mata- black Barbie dolls have been about since the 80s, and Asian/ Oriental ones since the mid to late 90s.
Anyway, my point was going to be that I think it really depends on the child and their upbringing as to how they react to playing with dolls such as Barbie.

My mum never wore make-up unless she was going out for a very special evening- the same with high heels. My granma wasn't one to wear make-up either. My sister wasn't allowed to get her ears pierced until she was 12, and the only make-up we would wear, would be facepaints when dressing up. We were encouraged to go and play in the garden, climb trees and play in the Wendyhouse my granpa made us. We would never get told off for getting muddy or playing in the fields behind our house, or getting paint down ourselves. I used to play with barbies now and again, and I must say that I was always happy with my brownygreen eyes and thick brown hair that would always get into tangles. I was, and always have been overweight (just one of those kids), and I never looked at people on the TV or my toys and thought "I wish I could look like that"- I DID used to look at certain friends like that, though, and be a little jealous. Friends of mine who also used to play with Barbie dolls, whose parents were always worried about them coming into the house with mud on their shoes, or told them not to go play out in the puddles in their wellies after it had rained, and whose mothers would never be seen outside of the house without a "bit of lippy", ARE those sorts of women who set their personal image against that of someone famous and say "Oh, I wish I could have her hair/ boobs/ mouth/ legs". Even when looking at models such as Lily Cole, below, who isn't overly pretty but has a "good" modelling figure.

I think the idea of a Muslim barbie is a good one. I also think that they should make Barbie dolls of all different races, nationalities and denominations. Just because a child is Muslim or Christian or Atheist, they should be able to play with dolls that represent people- not just one type.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Oct 16 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #7

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

I think the idea of a Muslim barbie is a good one. I also think that they should make Barbie dolls of all different races, nationalities and denominations. Just because a child is Muslim or Christian or Atheist, they should be able to play with dolls that represent people- not just one type.

My only concern is that by doing this, you strengthen the notion that there are Muslim, Christian, Atheist etc kids. There are children who have been raised in a particular faith (or lack of), but I agree with whoever it was who said it (can't remember now, was in a book I read recently) that that is not at all the same as the children being of that faith. Until they are mature enough to choose their religion, (and you can argue about when that is, but if they're still playing with barbies, then I'd say they hadn't yet reached it) then you should not say that they are Christian, Jewish, Atheist or whatever. Same as you would say a child was a communist, or a libertarian, or an environmentalist or whatever. They're children, let them be children until they're old enough to choose.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Daria
post Oct 16 2007, 03:31 PM
Post #8

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

QUOTE (CheeseMoose @ Oct 16 2007, 04:06 PM) *

My only concern is that by doing this, you strengthen the notion that there are Muslim, Christian, Atheist etc kids. There are children who have been raised in a particular faith (or lack of), but I agree with whoever it was who said it (can't remember now, was in a book I read recently) that that is not at all the same as the children being of that faith. Until they are mature enough to choose their religion, (and you can argue about when that is, but if they're still playing with barbies, then I'd say they hadn't yet reached it) then you should not say that they are Christian, Jewish, Atheist or whatever. Same as you would say a child was a communist, or a libertarian, or an environmentalist or whatever. They're children, let them be children until they're old enough to choose.

But Barbies aren't children- they are adults.

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Wiseacre
post Oct 16 2007, 06:24 PM
Post #9

Super advanced member

Member No.: 1,650

yeah, I actually think if I had to choose whether to buy my niece a traditional Barbie or a muslim Barbie... I'd choose the muslim one. I wish they made an infinite array of them... then I could teach my niece she can be anything she wants to be.

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Oct 16 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #10

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

I want an Atheist Barbie Doll. What does that come packaged with?

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
voices_in_my_hea...
post Oct 16 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #11

The cynics bible and a distrusting expression?

(note:I'm kidding. Deep breath.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 16 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #12

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Atheist Barbie comes complete with a copy of 'Atlas Shrugged' and a globe (to show that the world isn't flat).

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 11:57 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!