Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Redundant
Mata
post Oct 28 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #1

'Trouble Down Pit' now online!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Well, after a bit less than a year in my job, I'm probably going to be made redundant at the end of November. We've got a new CEO and he's made lots of good changes to the company, but the latest one to come down the line is that all the studios need to cut their workforce. I was one of the most recent employees, so I'm going straight out by the look of things.

I'm going to have to find another job, but I might have to move yet again. I've only just really settled into the flat we moved into for this job last January.

On the plus side, I'll probably get more money with my next position...

Ho hum.

--------------------
Trouble Down Pit: Still updated every Monday and Friday
The Matazone Games blog
The Matazone Shop The Matazone Blog
The Matazone Corset Shop: Snobz corsets at 10% off their recommended price!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elphaba2
post Oct 28 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #2

Lord of the Keys

Group: Established Members
Member No.: 1,329

That sucks a lot! I'm sorry that your sexy new job sounds as if it is soon coming to an end, and very sorry that it appears you have to move again. However, it's possible you won't get fired! What if the CEO-guy gets caught killing children? What then?

He probably doesn't kill children. But you've got my good wishes if the job works out or if it doesn't--in the meantime, maybe scope out the coffeemakers to see which best fits under a coat. Courtesy of CNN and my live-in-cousin, we've had a lovely espresso maker for about three years now.

--------------------
can I kiss your dopamine?
In a way I wonder if she's living in a magazine

+Quote Post
Moosh
post Oct 28 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #3

I plug directly into my computer

Member No.: 1,488

Ahh sorry about you losing your job, but now you're all Doctorified you can't have a problem finding another one. With, as you say, more monies and stuff.

Amy gives good advice, spend the next month planning how to sneak out as much stuff from the office as possible. Bonus points for desks, pot-plants and carpets.

--------------------
QUOTE (Peter Griffin)
Math, my dear boy, is nothing more than the lesbian sister of biology.

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 28 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #4

They're sneaky: the desks are bolted down.

Funnily enough (if you've got a slightly perverse sense of humour), getting a PhD means you're less likely to be able to find work. No-one wants to employ someone who is smarter than them, more qualified than them, or who seems likely to take their job in a few years. If you get a degree your lifetime earnings rise by around 20%, if you get a masters it stays the same, but if you get a PhD it goes back down again! Still, it looks nice on the CV smile.gif

I guess there is the other thing, that people with PhDs tend to be a bit weird, anti-social, or hyper-focussed, which probably doesn't win them a lot of jobs either...

I'm looking at it as an opportunity to get a better job somewhere else, for more money, and hopefully where they will take more advantage of my skills rather than setting me some pretty mundane tasks to do. It's a shame that I'm unlikely to ever be so convenient for work again - currently I live about 100m from the office! It's great being able to get up for work at about 8:40am!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Cath Sparrow
post Oct 29 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #5

I've been brainwashed

Member No.: 526

That's sad to hear redundancy sucks big time. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's doesn't happen or that you get to leave on your own terms (always the better option). I seem to collect sissors from previous jobs also got some other cool pattern cutting stuff from the first time I was made redundant. biggrin.gif

--------------------
How would you feel about life if Death was your older sister? You're only young once but you can stay immature indefinetly!!!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Oct 29 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #6

Sadly, there's not really any booty to plunder from this job. They'd probably notice if a PS3 devkit went missing - they do cost a few thousand pounds and it's of no real practical use to me either. Ho hum. Anyway, I have far too active a guilty conscience to deliberately steal anything!

I dropped in to work today to have a chat with a friend who was away before this happened. As far as I can tell, it's a fairly dead certainty that I'll be going.

There're loads of good things that will probably come of this, but I utterly despise the faff of having move house, and I might have to do that for a new job. Bah.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
gothictheysay
post Oct 30 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #7

living in your basement, eating your candy hearts

Member No.: 959

Aww, sorry to hear that, Mata. sad.gif My dad is most likely going to lose his job soon, and we'll probably have to move again. He's promised me that I can finish off this year here, though, and then I'm going to college, so even if we move down south or something (ick) I'll be alright.

I hope things work out well and you get a nice fat paycheck at your new place of work!

--------------------
Being corrupted by candice since 2004
teal and orange is the way forward

+Quote Post
Daria
post Oct 30 2007, 09:51 AM
Post #8

Wait for the uprising

Member No.: 1,735

*hugs* for Mata. I don't really have anything constructive to say, other than I agree and can completely empathise with the whole moving house thingy. I'm sure you will be able to do something absolutely awesome now. Perhaps this is the time where you do something spectacularly different and set up out on your own and make a huge multimillion pound corporation that actually has Mr SB as the logo? Or, you know, become a professor?

As I said, nothing constructive to add biggrin.gif

--------------------
We are unraveling our navels so that we may ingest the sun.

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Kitty
post Nov 4 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #9

Professionally Unprofessional

Member No.: 580

I'm sorry to hear that. I know that job-hopping is never fun. Though I really have no idea about how un-fun moving house is, but I can imagine, so I hope that you won't have to! Especially since you're just getting settled.

Your job didn't appreciate you enough, anyway! biggrin.gif

Would you ever become a professor?.... I would take your class!

--------------------
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who dream by night

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 4 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #10

There are two ways to become a professor:

1. Have lots of articles published in respected journals and books. It's all about making a significant contribution to academia over a long period of time. I'm not about to start on this any time soon.

2. Get a job at a very posh university that has 'professor' as part of the position. This is equally unlikely, unless Oxford suddenly decides that it needs someone to teach the kids about cyberpunk fiction.

Moving house gets less fun as you get older. When you first move out it's okay, because everything you own can fit in the back of a car. By the time you've got sofas and wardrobes to shift it all becomes a lot more complicated (not to mention expensive).

With a bit of luck I'll get a job somewhere where I'm allowed to make good suggestions. I could say a bit more at the moment, but it would probably be unwise on a public forum!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Pikasyuu
post Nov 10 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #11

suggestive cupcake

Member No.: 260

eek, i'm very sorry to hear that!
..hopefully cyberpunk fiction as a legitimate course is on the rise, right? ..right? Argh, probably not. all i can really say is that i wish you the best of luck, and, a fancy, shiny, attractive option number three:

expensive manwhoring!

pssh, you could probably pull in enough for a very lucrative lifestyle, there. maybe a little outside your morality scope. wink.gif

ideally, though, if money weren't a factor at all and neither was education, what would you do?

--------------------
i'm like oh kimosabe,
your body is my hobby

the official 'you bitch' count: a whole lot
last updated 11/05

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 10 2007, 02:47 PM
Post #12

I'd be a novelist. I'm writing my first one at the moment and it's going very well. I'm really enjoying the process so far. Unfortunately you don't (usually) get paid while writing your first novel, so I'm looking for jobs too, but maybe in a couple of years I will be a professional novelist instead. I don't hold with people dreaming to be something then never doing anything about it. I've achieved pretty much everything else I've tried for in life, and this would be a great extra instrument in the music of my existence.

My interview yesterday went very well, I think. I gave the best representation of myself that I could, and if I don't get a second interview then it clearly wasn't the place for me. I've got my phone interview on Monday, so hopefully that will go just as well.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
froggle-rock
post Nov 15 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #13

omno-ahhhhhhh!

Member No.: 1,174

*fingers crossed*

Where you gone for interviews at? x x

--------------------
A society that takes itself too seriously risks bottling up its tensions and treating every example of irreverence as a threat to its existence. Humour is one of the great solvents of democracy. It permits the ambiguities and contradictions of public life to be articulated in non-violent forms. It promotes diversity. It enables a multitude of discontents to be expressed in a myriad of spontaneous ways. It is an elixir of constitutional health. J. Sachs in Laugh It Off Promotions CC v SAB International (Finance) BV t/a SabMark International (Freedom of Expression Institute as Amicus Curiae) 2006 (1) SA 144 (CC)

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 15 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #14

It wouldn't be prudent to say the names here, but one is a very big cool company in London, the other is smaller, also pretty cool, and based in Amsterdam (if I'm going to relocate, I might as well do it properly biggrin.gif ).

I heard this afternoon that I've got a second interview for the London job on Thursday next week. I thought the first one went well, so I'm very pleased that I was reading it correctly. I think the London job is my favourite of the ones I've applied to so far, so it would be great to get that. The only downside is the prospect of commuting every day - and the 3,000-ish price tag associated with it sad.gif

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
patback87
post Nov 16 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #15

Obsessive

Member No.: 1,680

Where do you work? It sounds like you work at some kind of video game company, cause if it's EA, Chicago got hit too, they are closing the Chicago office of EA.

--------------------
user posted image
The Blender Radio
"'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood?" -Ralph Waldo Emerson "Self-Reliance"
"It's cozy if your Hanibal Lector." - Ace Ventura

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 16 2007, 09:56 AM
Post #16

Wait for the uprising

QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 15 2007, 06:29 PM) *
It wouldn't be prudent to say the names here, but one is a very big cool company in London, the other is smaller, also pretty cool, and based in Amsterdam (if I'm going to relocate, I might as well do it properly biggrin.gif ).

I heard this afternoon that I've got a second interview for the London job on Thursday next week. I thought the first one went well, so I'm very pleased that I was reading it correctly. I think the London job is my favourite of the ones I've applied to so far, so it would be great to get that. The only downside is the prospect of commuting every day - and the 3,000-ish price tag associated with it sad.gif

You could always move back to Croydon wink.gif

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 16 2007, 10:04 AM
Post #17

Pb: yes, EA are the company making me redundant at the moment. It's a global thing.

D: if I get the job in London then I probably will actually move back to Croydon!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 16 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #18

Wait for the uprising

biggrin.gif I was joking, but really? How would feel about moving back to your old haunt after moving away?

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 16 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #19

Completely fine, actually. I know quite a lot of people in Croydon and it would be nice to be able to see them regularly. Sues comes from Croydon too (Thornton Heath) so she's fine about the idea for the same reason.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Daria
post Nov 16 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #20

Wait for the uprising

Awesome smile.gif

--------------------

DARIA IZ GOOD ON TOAST

TOAST IZ GOOD ON DARIA

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Nov 17 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #21

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

Would the commute from Guildford be too much then? When Matt was commuting from Woking to Canary Warf he was paying just over the three grand mark with a 1-6 travel card- the commute was about an hour (25 mins to waterloo and then a further 25 minutes to get to Canary Warf)

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 17 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #22

There wouldn't really be anything to keep us in Guildford, and so moving closer plus knowing more people would be sensible.

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Faerieryn
post Nov 17 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #23

Faeries don't bite we just nibble a bit!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 535

That is a fair point

--------------------
If life hands you a lemon make lemonade, lace it with cyanide and then pass it around. What can I say I'm a revenge type of gal!!! Ryn
Wearing a large shiny tag around neck "Uncullable Faerie"
Official S P A N G L E R and self proclaimed protector of Tribe Wyvern- OOh Sparkly!!
Proud leader of the Super Spangler Squad. Me and Stardust wil spangle your a$$!!

+Quote Post
Mata
post Nov 17 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #24

I quite like Guildford as a town, but we've not really bonded with the place much, so we wouldn't lose anything by leaving here. The train to Waterloo takes around 40-50 minutes, then there would be another fifteen for the tube, so for the whole journey from door to door I'm looking at around an hour fifteen+. Given the working hours of the software industry, that could easily mean some extremely long days.

A new thing from yesterday is that there is a job that I've applied for in Guildford which sounds very cool indeed. It's with a superb company that make incredible games, and there would be a decent pay raise too I think. I'd love to get that one, so I might stay in Guildford yet!

--------------------
The Matazone Games blog

+Quote Post
Phyllis
post Nov 18 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #25

Candbrush Threepwood

Member No.: 345

I'm a bit late to this, but bleh, that sucks that you're being made redundant, Mata. sad.gif

Good luck with all the new job applications, though!

--------------------
I love you in a way that is mystical and eternal and illegal in 20 states.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th October 2017 - 10:33 PM
Use these links if you're going to shop at Amazon and a percentage of what you spend goes towards helping this site!